Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The dumbest gun I've found so far (besides the lower case r) is a giant ant that first shoots bouncing shotgun pellets that spill some kind of liquid everywhere, then sometimes instead shoots two large fireballs that set everything on fire.

I've got video. I love this game.

E: This is that gun. Don't click if you don't want to see an amazing gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdPx4PXJAPE

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Apr 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

How exactly am I supposed to do the tutorial delivery quest? I can find the secret room just fine and claim the ghost's treasures, but I have no idea how I can actually move from the tutorial area into the Gungeon proper. I just end up in the Breach and no longer have the items I'm supposed to deliver in my possession.

Spoiler: related to tutorial.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Here are my opinions after six hours of gameplay:

I LIKE
- The graphics and general look of the game
- The music
- The room-based level approach
- The basic gameplay of dodging hell of bullets and shooting enemies with wacky guns
- The roguelike mechanics of constantly discovering and adding new stuff for later runs.

I DON'T LIKE
- The game is far too RNG dependant. "Well duh, all roguelikes are". Yeah, but in Gungeon you don't get many opportunities to compensate for lovely RNG. On my last run, the only weapon I found on the first level was the Unfinished Gun, which even the weapon description says is lovely. If I wanted, I could, of course, also buy the lower case r weapon from the shop for all my money, which is also as bad (or at least not much better than) the starting gun. I found no other items on level 1. I basically had nothing to do but try and make the best of a bad situation.
- The bosses have WAY too many HP. They don't feel like exciting fights, they feel like boring grindfests where I'm slowly whittling down the boss' HP, while hoping I don't accidentally get nicked by some bullshit too many times and lose the fight.
- The game is far too stingy with drops. In another run earlier today I was playing as the Pilot. I got a really good gun I enjoyed using, but ran out of ammo for it fairly quickly because I found zero ammo pickups. Getting hit once or twice early in a run can basically gently caress you over because health pickups are also insanely rare.
- The quests suck right now, because they require you to have LOTS of things, which you are in no way guaranteed to get on even a better than average run. So you'll once again be feeling helpless and unable to proceed, which is no fun.
- Locking the few items you DO find behind often locked chests is also kinda lovely because keys are also rare as gently caress. I've had numerous situations where all the items I would've found on level one were behind locked chests, I had zero keys and even the store didn't sell any. Oh well I guess I'm shooting up these chests and then fighting the boss with my starter gun when that won't work!

The good thing here is that the core is solid as hell, and basically all the problems I have with the game can be solved by tweaking formulas behind the scenes. I don't know if the devs have reacted in any way to complaints people have about the game, but I hope they keep tweaking it and adding stuff to it. If they do, Enter the Gungeon could be amazing.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Orv posted:

I'm getting the sense that maybe this spent a little too long in an insular dev testing setting and ended up with some really bad ideas.

That's definitely the impression I got. Apparently they sent early copies of the game to some streamer superstars eho basically played the game 24/7. That's probably not the crowd you want to blance the game for.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Vargs posted:

If you unlock the shortcuts, you can get some decent boss practice in.

How do you even start the elevator building quest? The dude is chilling in my Breach but every time I talk to him he just says "for now you'll have to make your way down the hard way".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

IronicDongz posted:

whether you win or lose it's not fun to spend the first 3 floors using just your basic starting weapon on everything but bosses. I hate to have to keep saying this but it's not so much about winning or losing as it is about the pace of the game

Yeah. When I play Nuclear Throne, I have fun from the start. The pace is fast, there's tons of poo poo happening constantly and the game is throwing guns at me with both hands.

You'd think this would be the case with Enter the Gungeon, which has "gun" in the name, boasts about how many different guns they have and their bullet hell mechanics. Instead the game ramps up insanely slowly, most of the guns you find are boring (seriously how many lame-rear end "shotgun with a different sprite and a 0.1f difference in damage" weapons can you have in a game?) and everything takes forever.

It's sad, too, because the potential is there. The game looks gorgeous and once you get a lucky run in and find fun guns, it's tons of fun!

Fans posted:

Are they planning to release any expansions for this one? Or is it game done as is?

Apparently they have said there will be free updates and paid DLC, but I have no idea where and when they said that. So take it with a grain of salt.

Blattdorf posted:

But when you have people crying for "easy mode" because they keep dying on the first level...

What then? I can kill the Dragun on most of my runs and I've killed the past. I'm pretty good at the game, I'd say, and I don't see who it would hurt to add a separate easy mode with more health or something for people who are having difficulty with the game.

I honestly don't see where this elitist "you're not good enough to enjoy this video game" attitude many people seem to have comes from. How does it take anything away from others if worse players also get to have fun?

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 14, 2016