Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

Who What Now posted:

You wouldn't get to be two people, though, you'd still only ever be you. Its just that now there's a separate person who happens to share an identical set of memories up until the point of replication with you.

The question of how continuity of consciousness would operate under the circumstances of duplication is interesting though. Say that you were expecting to be instantaneously 'teleported' by scan and duplication followed by destruction of the original within a single room. You stand with a red wall behind you and a blue wall in front of you and close your eyes, expecting to open them to a blank red wall. The process malfunctions, creating a duplicate facing you but failing to destroy the original. Obviously, you can't have the experience of 'being' both copies, so does your continuity of experience have you facing a copy of yourself standing in front of a red wall or a blue wall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

Who What Now posted:

Easy, you still see a blue wall. Because you didn't actually move. There was always a 0% chance of you being moved, because that is expressly not how this technology works.

Your clone, however, is having a much different experience. And that difference in experience has already made them a being unique from you. Maybe not very unique, but still not a perfect copy, either.

That would be my expectation, too. That leads me to believe that, had the teleportation process worked correctly, I'd be dead and there would be a physically identical person with the same set of memories facing the spot where I stood. My own subjective experience of those memories, however, would cease. The only difference in the scenarios is whether the original is destroyed. Since there's no causal connection between the original and the duplicate, preservation or destruction shouldn't matter.

• Locked thread