Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

yo The Planck Dive by Greg Egan is a pretty baller short story that talks about this a bit and also it's really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Anyways teleportation will be really scary to some people until they do it for the first time and then they'll have memories of walking into a teleporter then walking out of a teleporter and then they won't be so scared. Or we'll upload our brains to the internet first, who knows.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

What if you died then came back to life, would you still be the same person.......

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

What are the moral quandaries of uploading your brain into a clone and then beating your old self up for sex purposes

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Is murdering your old self homicide or assisted suicide or just normal suicide. context: what would the prosecution use in a trial when they nail you for life insurance scamming

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

guys.... this will have you scratching your heads for a long time......... what if you are vaporized.... and AFTER that your clone is made

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

What if you weren't cloned at all, but just thought you were..............

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Here's another one

A doctor man officially tells you that your sister underwent the teleportation process. you know in your heart of hearts now, that this isnt your sister at all, but a gross amalgamation of atoms that superficially resembles her, and you murder her to rid the world of the abomination. But here's the twist, the doctor man was actually the secret antagonist, and wanted you to murder your sister, and actually, YOU were the clone. How about that.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

What are the ethical ramifications of using teleportation technology to vaporize a baby and reconstruct it to avoid having to do an invasive caesarean section?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Can the arguments against teleportation also be used to support abortion? I think so

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

*thinks real hard about phuilosophy* Actually, your idiot opinion is the wrong one, and bad, and my idiot opinion is correc.t

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Peta posted:

All right, we get it: You're a funny guy. Now that we know this, you don't have to post anymore :)

If you think about it, does Star Trek implicitly endorse murder?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Peta posted:

Actually, I wanted you to keep posting all along. Don't stop ...

What if the memory banks of the modern cyberbrain go down to a hardware failure, and you are forced to use a backup, but then the memory banks are restored and the memories uploaded into your consciousness, are you still you, or a cyber clone, or both?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

If permanent brain damage results in becoming a different person, is obeying a living will to remove life support still ethical?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

What if you teleported yourself faster than light across worlds, and then teleported back, and somehow ended back up in time, only you haven't done this yet and future you is the one telling you to step in the suicide teleportation box and that you need to teleport or this universal construct will collapse upon itself. Would you go in the box?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Control Volume posted:

What if you teleported yourself faster than light across worlds, and then teleported back, and somehow ended back up in time, only you haven't done this yet and future you is the one telling you to step in the suicide teleportation box and that you need to teleport or this universal construct will collapse upon itself. Would you go in the box?

Addendum: what if none of this happens and its just your boss telling you to teleport to mars for a seminar or you'll be looking for a new job

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Let's say a teleporter automatically activated at a certain atmospheric altitude. If you were to place the teleporter on an aeroplane, and the aeroplane was placed on a treadmill that had a reverse velocity to the velocity of the aeroplane, and you were in the teleporter during takeoff, would you be able to achieve total obliteration of the self?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

Where is the dude who was melting down? He made this thread fun.

On average, how long would the word "maaan" be stretched out if this issue was described by someone under the influence of marijuana?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

If you were cloned and forced to face yourself in a battle to the death in a gladiatorial arena, would you fight? Would you win?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

If you were to teleport yourself across the cosmos of space, I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Is telling someone to go get teleported the new, politically correct way of telling people to kill themselves?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Is the modern resistance to teleportation an intuitive boon, or an evolutionary weakness?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Should the inventor of "safe" human quantum tunneling be tried for crimes against humanity?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Girl teleports, tells boyfriend "my clone has no personal history with you." Is this the future of Generation γ breakups?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Piell posted:

So let's say I kidnap you, clone you with all your memories, and let the clone live your life. Meanwhile, I torture the original for a hundred years, then shoot it in the head, killing it.. I am hoping you would not agree with this. What if I only torture you for 50 years? For 10? For 1? For one hour? For a single second? What if I just walk into your house, shoot the original you in the face, drag away the original's cooling corpse, and let your clone live your life?

I can say, definitively, I'd be morally okay with 10 seconds of clone torture of myself

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

What if a teleporter gun replaces all of the atoms in your brain with different atoms of the same elements, are you dead? Can you get out of your obligations to meet the in-laws?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

But you died, I thought your clone brain was supposed deal with that bullshit. This fuckign sucks

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Parts of your personality are implemented as an artificial intelligence in a personal assistant device. Is deleting this program suicide?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Your brain is replaced with someone else's brain, and their brain is replaced with yours. As the average brain weighs 3 lbs, your brain and his brain would be replacing 99% and 98% of body mass, respectively, or it could be viewed as your old body having a replacement brain. In this scenario, would you rather your movie role be played by John Travolta or Nicholas Cage?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Berk Berkly posted:

Their never making Face Off 2 man, let it go.

[throws a copy of face off into a teleporter and flips the switch] actually it looks like another one just got made, asswipe.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

In the world of digital mind replication, is the once joking phrase "You wouldn't steal a baby" now false in a reflection of a terrifying reality?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Kit Walker posted:

Not interchangeable? Yeah geez what a terrible way to view people.

You should tell your wife or girlfriend that you'd be fine if she got murdered and replaced with an identical duplicate. Lemme know how that goes for you.

What the hell is wrong with your brain that you're taking a silly thought experiment this seriously, duder

Have some loving levity

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

What if I shove you into a teleporter and keep your old self alive and give it wedgies all day, you loving nerd

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Why don't you teleport that fat over to mars, butterball *high fives all my buds*

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Kit Walker posted:

Two moons is enough for Mars.

jesus

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Would you send a clone of yourself to do an incredibly rad but incredibly fatal stunt for youtube views?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

How many clones would you need before you become a unified hivemind uncaring of the death of an individual drone?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Are people who teleport more likely to be serial killers?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Is an American presidential hopeful barred from office if they teleport, as their clone was technically not born in the US, or indeed at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Has philosophy finally obsoleted life insurance policies?

• Locked thread