Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Talmonis posted:

So I just read this at the two of you mentioning it. Holy poo poo.

That`s one of my favourite short stories.

Anyways this whole discussion has always reeked of some kind of phony intellectual self-indulgence where certain types of people get together and jerk off over how smart they are that they figured out that nobody has a good definition of "self" or "conciousness" and that they would gladly step into a vaporizer if given the guarantee that an exact clone of themselves would step out somewhere else because :smug: whats the difference between that and going to bed every night am I right?? :smug: It's the same problem as the whole "download your brain into a robot and live forever" thing, people don't seem to acknowledge the fact that the original still exists and you haven't gone anywhere or done anything meaningful, you just made a copy of yourself.

I pretty highly doubt that many of them would actually do it. You may as well just kill yourself right now, if that's the position you're gonna take on it, it's not much different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Shbobdb posted:

Who/what is "me"?

What is the nature of the self?

What is it?

Nobody knows for sure, and the only people who care about it are philosophy people, and they're pretty useless in general.

• Locked thread