Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
David. Bowie. Rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

David. Bowie. Rules.

i guess i just dont get it :confused:

we will just have to agree to disagree

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

dad gay. so what posted:

i guess i just dont get it :confused:

we will just have to agree to disagree

That's fair, it's music.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
all that old music is boring as gently caress. too bad freddie mercury died way back then instead of bowie, at least freddie had spectacular showmanship. instead we get another 30 years of tedious pretentious old person music woop de loving doo.

this is a much better thread than usual dad gay im glad you're taking my post to heart

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

dad gay. so what posted:

i dont "not like him" i just find his music to be objectively horrible. there's a big difference

I've been on these forums since '01 and you are by far the worst poster since my last forums name.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
he was funny on Extras though and he probably wouldve been a good actor he should have transitioned to that instead of continuing to make lovely music then it mightve not been a total loss

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
DGSW has the tiniest bit of a point - Bowie after Scary Monsters and before Tin Machine was pretty terrible for the most part.

The thing is, there's like 15 albums left and they contain some phenomenal music, it's not right to listen to one or two songs from his shittiest period and write the guy off.

Station to Station is a great song and great album, FYI

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
god bless you dad gay, for saying what no one could or would, or would even ever think to say.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

ironically, "the elephant in the room" is one of bowie's best tracks

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

altho i don't think it can really compare to classics like "pink elephant" and "white elephant (cocaine blues)"

why all the colors i don't know

World Kraid Center
Oct 18, 2009

Chinatown posted:

tired gimmick is tired

quote:

Sep 11, 2001

Other Barry
Jun 5, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Mr. Unlucky posted:

all that old music is boring as gently caress. too bad freddie mercury died way back then instead of bowie, at least freddie had spectacular showmanship. instead we get another 30 years of tedious pretentious old person music woop de loving doo.

this is a much better thread than usual dad gay im glad you're taking my post to heart

I think there would have been some really godawful Queen albums in the mid-late 90s had he lived

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
he sucks

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

(thx gd;swhat ive always wanted to post this i appreciate favor bud I got you next time just name it)

....MUCH LIKE YOURE POSTING!!!

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

MUCH LIKE YOUR

oh

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
The first problem was listening to anything on the radio. There's a reason why it's dying. They can't play more than three songs that have a bpm over 20 an hour or it will kill the only people who still listen to the radio. Office workers, people with long commutes, and pissed off retail workers who want to end it all if they hear another Taylor swift song that shift.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Houle posted:

The first problem was listening to anything on the radio. There's a reason why it's dying. They can't play more than three songs that have a bpm over 20 an hour or it will kill the only people who still listen to the radio. Office workers, people with long commutes, and pissed off retail workers who want to end it all if they hear another Taylor swift song that shift.

I'm sorry but 95.7 plays today's rhythm and all the best throwbacks.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
If you don't like Let's Dance, blame Nile Rodgers.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
When Bowie died a few of us were playing his music and one friend wanted us to play "the one where he says 'put your red shoes on'" so we put on Let's Dance and she was like "this is horrible, this isn't the song" and we discovered she had only heard David Bowie techno remixes that sound nothing like the originals and actually hated his music. She was also confused when his Ziggy Stardust stuff started playing because she thought it was someone else.

Blackstar was a good album to go out on

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
*takes massive bong rip*

Maybe some of it wsa good and some was bad op

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhZqsYkl1zI

No words on this one maybe you'll like it.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Knight posted:

When Bowie died a few of us were playing his music and one friend wanted us to play "the one where he says 'put your red shoes on'" so we put on Let's Dance and she was like "this is horrible, this isn't the song" and we discovered she had only heard David Bowie techno remixes that sound nothing like the originals and actually hated his music. She was also confused when his Ziggy Stardust stuff started playing because she thought it was someone else.

Blackstar was a good album to go out on

that chick was right. you should marry her

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

this is the only good bowie song because its a super up-beat song about a guy gunning down civilians and cognitive dissonance is funny.
https://youtu.be/oWVd_UL4BWs

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Man Whore posted:

this is the only good bowie song because its a super up-beat song about a guy gunning down civilians and cognitive dissonance is funny.
https://youtu.be/oWVd_UL4BWs

ugh that makes me want to puke

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

gently caress you, op

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

opinions gay. so what

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
jethro tull sucks too fyi

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

dad gay. so what posted:

whoah whoah whoah

you're crossing a line

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

dad gay. so what posted:

agreed

yet i disagree wrt bowie

the duality of man

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

Shaquin posted:

i think he got by on being something of a spectacle and a good showman but his music is not consistently good

Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding *spits out 500 redemption tickets*

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
:siren: this just in: the doors are terrible!!

autoaim.cfg
Aug 6, 2005
:qq: WHINY SHITHEAD :qq:
*drops mic*

dad gay. so what posted:

i dont "not like him" i just find his music to be objectively horrible

Elaboration, please!

Please carefully and extensively elaborate just how the music of David Bowie is "objectively horrible". :tipshat:

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

autoaim.cfg posted:

Elaboration, please!

Please carefully and extensively elaborate just how the music of David Bowie is "objectively horrible". :tipshat:

(figure a): "lets dance"

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

dad gay. so what posted:

i dont see what the big deal is. Beyonce is objectively a bad singer and she sounds like poo poo

autoaim.cfg
Aug 6, 2005
*drops mic*

dad gay. so what posted:

(figure a): "lets dance"

Counterpoint! Battle for Britain! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMThz7eQ6K0

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

(figure b): "china girl"

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

oh my god!! nevermind that can be "figure b" if you want. who the gently caress listens to this poo poo?

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

dad gay. so what posted:

oh my god!! nevermind that can be "figure b" if you want. who the gently caress listens to this poo poo?

i'll field this one

answer: that guy making a suit out of women in the silence of the lambs

autoaim.cfg
Aug 6, 2005
*drops mic*
From his Tin Machine period:

https://youtu.be/O-EcEH31Y2o

"I can't read and I can't write down
I don't know a book from countdown
I don't care which shadow gets me
All I've got is a reply to a dgsw post"