Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
this thread is probably mostly for linux users who have weird bespoke workflows but i'd be curious about how hosed upwindows workflows might be

-- 99% of my problems are related to using vim within emacs within tmux within zsh within a terminal. that many layers of indirection really gently caress with keycodes in ways that are hard for me to get my head around so i mostly just ignore them and learn how to deal with the quirks of whatever layer i'm in. the most annoying thing is that zsh vim mode doesn't work within the various REPLs i use and this usually manifests by me dumping a bunch of escape codes into things

-- i didn't bother to setup emacs to use the system clipboard so i use tmux's copy/paste mode to get things in and out emacs. i also used tmux's copy paste to copy/paste from the console to my system clipboard. this mostly works fine but tmux doesn't know anything about emac's window system so if i want to copy/paste multiple lines out of emacs i have to close any windows in emacs or else it will try to copy the window characters.

-- my ssh config is funky. it knows some of my hosts but not others so sometimes i have to do root@ and sometimes i have to do myname@ and sometimes it just works. i keep track of this in my head

well these arent very interesting. i hope there are some better ones!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

-- 99% of my problems are related to using vim within emacs within tmux within zsh within a terminal.

:stare:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

i imagine this is pretty standard for evil emacs users because you're using vim/emacs so you're probably into being a console user, and if you're a console user you're obvious using tmux and most people use zsh over bash so

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i use a yubikey with my SSH key on it that self destructs if you get the PIN wrong 3 times and it makes me feel like im in the future

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

i like to view x11 forwarding with ssh and tmux an exciting daily challenge to be conquered rather than the part of the morning i definitely hate the most

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
pity repl

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

-- my ssh config is funky. it knows some of my hosts but not others so sometimes i have to do root@ and sometimes i have to do myname@ and sometimes it just works. i keep track of this in my head

I have the same issue but I thought it was just me being terrible at ssh

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i use windows and everything just works op

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

except for weird linuxy programs that gently caress up proxy handling but fiddler fixes them

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i mount a drive to a remote linux vm via a janky unmaintained sshfs windows program to do nearly 99% of my job because i rely on xencenter which only works on windows

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

about 50% of the time when I press Debug in visual studio it crashes and I have to spend five minutes loading my solution up again and setting all my breakpoints. I'm stuck on vs2k8 until I move on to a project that is not on life support

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

my pc would be plenty fast enough for my needs, except it is constantly scanning every file looking for viruses and hackers and poo poo because my company is super paranoid about The Chinese so I need a new computer that can keep up with it all. our pc ordering site says that our standard dev machines have gone EOL and I should check back in mid-March

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my work pc has a single hard drive constructed of spinning platters.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my time is worthless apparently so yeah gently caress it lets just wait for disks to spin

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

how is it that the single-threaded most performant cpu is two generations old

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Bloody posted:

how is it that the single-threaded most performant cpu is two generations old

because you're not doing all of your processing on the gpu like you should

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

yeah lemme just retool fpga vendor tools to run on something other than one lil thread chuggin away

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
my old job: linux workstation w/ virtualbox w/ win XP w/ vmware manager to let me do some janitoring.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i like that sourcetree was good and then they keep patching it and it keeps getting worse and worse

burning swine
May 26, 2004

I'm a professional posser so I use two computers. One of em is windows 7 and one of em is arch linux. I use synergy to share a single keyboard and mouse like a pro

Here's a typical chunk of my day:

Get up to get a drink, lock both computers
ctrl+alt+L on the right for linux, winkey + L on the left for windows. Order matters!
get back to desk, start typing password for windows box (synergy host)
somehow keystrokes are appearing on the linux side... oh no, not this again
type linux pass and get in. Sure enough i can't get the mouse back over to the host side because it's locked and this scenario is supposed to be impossible
open terminal, ps -ax | grep synergy
kill synergy by pid
focus immediately reverts to windows machine, log in
now I need to reconnect the two by starting synergy on the linux side again
unplug keyboard from windows box, plug into linux box
linux box kernel panics upon detecting a new usb device
num-caps-scroll flashing

Apr 06 08:52:20 comp205389 kernel: usb 3-4.2-port1: connect-debounce failed

network drops out on the windows box because it was natted behind the linux box
power off linux box and reset it
crawl under the desk to enter the password on the linux box (a laptop in a dock on the floor under the desk) because getting the login screen to appear on the right monitor is impossible
type password and log in
start synergy by hand
enter the IP of the other box manually because it never remembers even though "remember" is selected
hit OK
connection times out
reboot again because the second NIC only works like 2/3 boot cycles
repeat login and synergy poo poo
works this time
get back up, plug keyboard back into windows box
sign back into IM now that the connection has been restored
fifteen minute old message from boss asking why i'm not in the meeting
get up to go to meeting, lock both computers

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

sometimes i forget and use notepad++ on files intended for z/os so they get wrong line endings that break them

e: also trying to remember whether a file is supposed to be in ascii for java or ebcdic for z and getting it wrong and my terminal fills with random characters

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
when using synergy client system:
copy url to clipboard
paste into notepad or other plaintext program
copy url back to clipboard
paste into browser on synergy host

Some synergy between chome and synergy turned every url into "<".

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
more synergy workarounds: tap shift, tap alt, tap control (and repeat on other side of kboard) to reset the sticky keys states after they'd get stuck due to some interaction with synergy

edit: also sometimes happens without sticky keys and/or synergy.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Yeah I instinctively tap the winkey before typing my password on this box because it gets suck "on" about 60% of the time when i use win+L to lock the screen

synergy is utter garbage and it blows my mind that there are literally no alternatives to it
(at least none that support different OSes)

burning swine
May 26, 2004

also sometimes i copy text on the client machine, then when i paste it on the host, i get a bunch of random japanese characters

why is it always japanese?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Chinese has 154,000 characters, so its a bit easy to hit with garbage data.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

FopeDush posted:

I'm a professional posser so I use two computers. One of em is windows 7 and one of em is arch linux. I use synergy to share a single keyboard and mouse like a pro

Here's a typical chunk of my day:

Get up to get a drink, lock both computers
ctrl+alt+L on the right for linux, winkey + L on the left for windows. Order matters!
get back to desk, start typing password for windows box (synergy host)
somehow keystrokes are appearing on the linux side... oh no, not this again
type linux pass and get in. Sure enough i can't get the mouse back over to the host side because it's locked and this scenario is supposed to be impossible
open terminal, ps -ax | grep synergy
kill synergy by pid
focus immediately reverts to windows machine, log in
now I need to reconnect the two by starting synergy on the linux side again
unplug keyboard from windows box, plug into linux box
linux box kernel panics upon detecting a new usb device
num-caps-scroll flashing

Apr 06 08:52:20 comp205389 kernel: usb 3-4.2-port1: connect-debounce failed

network drops out on the windows box because it was natted behind the linux box
power off linux box and reset it
crawl under the desk to enter the password on the linux box (a laptop in a dock on the floor under the desk) because getting the login screen to appear on the right monitor is impossible
type password and log in
start synergy by hand
enter the IP of the other box manually because it never remembers even though "remember" is selected
hit OK
connection times out
reboot again because the second NIC only works like 2/3 boot cycles
repeat login and synergy poo poo
works this time
get back up, plug keyboard back into windows box
sign back into IM now that the connection has been restored
fifteen minute old message from boss asking why i'm not in the meeting
get up to go to meeting, lock both computers

genuinely, thank you so much for this

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

99% of my problems are related to emacs

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Bloody posted:

my work pc has a single hard drive constructed of spinning platters.

motorola refused to buy me a mbp ("theyre too expensive") and bought me a 17" elitebook with two hard drive bays and a numpad and three video outs

i asked them to spec it with a 128 ssd and they said NO WHAT YOU WANT ARE THE GIGABYTES and put a 640 platter in which crashed six months later

it was like a $3600 laptop lmfao

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
i literally make videos using php

i use windows but i refuse to use adobe malware so i make my funny internet videos using an idiotic clusterfuck of mostly open sores software but also jasc paint shop pro 7 and animation shop 3 from the year 2000. it typically involves using ffmpeg to make a big ol' folder full of png files for each frame of whatever source video i'm ripping off, using other software to do the needful then converting it to video in virtualdub

for a simple one like this i just did some audio things in audacity and lazily pasted in "YOUR POSTS" frame by frame in psp7 so you can see it jittering around
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxZ7UnrwnGU

but then php comes in for the more complex things. so for this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lko_j_56S5k
i set up some images to use (including colour cycling thing done in animation shop) and then ran this:
code:
<?php
	$chomes = array(
		imagecreatefrompng("chome1.png"),
		imagecreatefrompng("chome2.png"),
		imagecreatefrompng("chome1.png"),
		imagecreatefrompng("chome2.png"),
		imagecreatefrompng("chome5.png"),
	);

$max = 338;
	for ($x = 0; $x <= $max; $x += 1) {
		echo "$x	";
		$dest = imagecreatefrompng("back1.png");

$s = floor($x / $max * 1065 + 15);

imagecopyresized($dest, $chomes[floor($x / 15 % 5)], 960 - intval($s / 2), 540 - intval($s / 2), 0, 0, $s, $s, 15, 15);

imagepng($dest, "out/" . str_pad($x, 8, 0, 0) . ".png");
		imagedestroy($dest);
		unset($dest);
	}

for ($x = $max + 1; $x <= 386; $x += 1) {
		echo "$x	";
		copy("echi.png", "out/" . str_pad($x, 8, 0, 0) . ".png");
	}

for ($x = 387; $x <= 775; $x += 1) {
		echo "$x	";
		copy("text/" . str_pad(($x - 387) % 60 + 1, 8, 0, 0) . ".png", "out/" . str_pad($x, 8, 0, 0) . ".png");
	}
?>
i also used php to do the 2001 animation & face/subtitle compositing for this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1mLNaRGemM

idk i keep thinking i should find a better nonlinear editing gui program or if i'm going to go the moronic scripting route at least learn avisynth or w/e (if that's still a thing?) but i never bother making time to do those and then when i come up with an idea for a video i try and do it "quickly" with the tools i already have v:shobon:v

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
yeah. fuckin beat that, yospos

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
it's not that bad but you should learn some python imo

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

thats a pretty lol workflow but it is not for a paying job so it could be worse

Hemick
Mar 4, 2007
job before last, I worked from home using my personal desktop, RDP'd to my lovely work laptop with some samba shares from random windows servers bounced over the VPN. Naturally by virtue of being "that guy we hired to code right after we fired the IT guy", any time the VPN went down and the fix wasn't something I could explain to the english as a third language office assistant (seriously, she was fluent in Chinese and Russian before she learned any English), I had to drive 3 hours one way and fix it, whenever that was.

Nothing like spending 6 hours sitting in traffic hell on a Monday because someone had been in all probability banging in the server room and managed to unplug the ethernet to my QA server.

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

jony ive aces posted:

yeah. fuckin beat that, yospos

I used to write Perl in Eclipse.

Hemick
Mar 4, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

I used to write Perl in Eclipse.