Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

pgroce posted:

NO NO NO NO

im the winnebiko

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

code:
alias shove="git add . && git commit -am 'bug fixing' && git push origin $1"

missing the -f

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Jonny 290 posted:

code:
alias shove="git add . && git commit -am 'bug fixing' && git push origin $1"
lol

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
if we're going that route doesn't add -A get slightly more things than add . i forget

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
this morning on the train I spent 20 minutes typing bash into Notes so I could generate a gif of trophy but the argument parsing for convert is so broken that no amount of quotes would allow me to pass "[trophying intensifies]" as an argument so after all that bullshit I spent the two minutes to spin up a virtualenv and install pillow and it worked out of the box with no bullshit

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

gently caress bash forever

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ahmeni posted:

typing bash into Notes

wait what

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
im not aware of a posix layer ibm put into notes, but I wouldn't put it past them.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

ahmeni posted:

this morning on the train I spent 20 minutes typing bash into Notes so I could generate a gif of trophy but the argument parsing for convert is so broken that no amount of quotes would allow me to pass "[trophying intensifies]" as an argument so after all that bullshit I spent the two minutes to spin up a virtualenv and install pillow and it worked out of the box with no bullshit

:confused:

$ convert 'gotta go fast.gif' -font Impact -fill blue -pointsize 40 -fill blue -draw "text 50,175 '[going fast intensifies]'" 'ggf.png'

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
whoops, have -fill blue in there twice

i guess when you have to make sure the fill is really blue

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
i use gnome 3 to manage my workflows so everything's pretty great over here sorry to hear about all the problems you guys are having using literally anything else

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Wheany posted:

:confused:

$ convert 'gotta go fast.gif' -font Impact -fill blue -pointsize 40 -fill blue -draw "text 50,175 '[going fast intensifies]'" 'ggf.png'

this works as a normal command but if you put that poo poo into a bash variable it doesn't?

code:
TEST="convert 'test.png' -font Impact -fill blue  -pointsize 40 -fill blue  -draw \"text 50,175 '[going fast intensifies]'\" 'test_output2.png'"
echo $TEST
$TEST
code:
convert test.png -font Impact -fill blue -pointsize 40 -fill blue -draw "text 50,175 '[going fast intensifies]'" 'test_output2.png'
convert: non-conforming drawing primitive definition `text' @ error/draw.c/DrawImage/3169.
convert: unable to open image `50,175': No such file or directory @ error/blob.c/OpenBlob/2702.
convert: unable to open image `50,175': No such file or directory @ error/blob.c/OpenBlob/2702.
convert: no decode delegate for this image format `' @ error/constitute.c/ReadImage/501.
convert: unable to open image `'[going': No such file or directory @ error/blob.c/OpenBlob/2702.
convert: unable to open image `'[going': No such file or directory @ error/blob.c/OpenBlob/2702.
convert: no decode delegate for this image format `' @ error/constitute.c/ReadImage/501.
convert: unable to open image `fast': No such file or directory @ error/blob.c/OpenBlob/2702.
convert: unable to open image `fast': No such file or directory @ error/blob.c/OpenBlob/2702.
convert: unable to open image `intensifies]'"': No such file or directory @ error/blob.c/OpenBlob/2702.
convert: unable to open image `intensifies]'"': No such file or directory @ error/blob.c/OpenBlob/2702.
convert: non-conforming drawing primitive definition `text' @ error/draw.c/DrawImage/3169
idk

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

oval office AND PASTE posted:

i use gnome 3 to manage my workflows so everything's pretty great over here sorry to hear about all the problems you guys are having using literally anything else

i use xmonad but the L shortcut for enlarging the window doesn't work but it works if i tap R-L quickly so i just do that

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

oval office AND PASTE posted:

i have a hidpi thinkpad+monitor for work atm and wow gnome3 sure isnt ready for that

volkadav
Jan 1, 2008

Guillotine / Gulag 2020
our build process involves all of:
1) jenkins (this alone is the tip of a fractal iceberg of abject insanity)
2) azure
3) EC2
4) this one weird old ti^H^Hshitty dell desktop that houses our critical windows-only build poo poo on an aging single spinny hd
5) deep voodoo gradle sprinkled around liberally

at least point #5 above replaced "shell driving ant, driving perl that edits ant files, that drives a different ant, that drives shell scripts that drive maven or ivy depending on the subproject".

i am not joking about any of this. it isn't even the most hosed up part of my job. v:smith:v theoretically i have complete freedom to fix any/all of this, but there are even bigger conflagrations to fight. just getting the gradle migration done was a six or seven month (calendar time, it was interrupted frequently) project.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

ahmeni posted:

code:
TEST="convert 'test.png' -font Impact -fill blue  -pointsize 40 -fill blue  -draw \"text 50,175 '[going fast intensifies]'\" 'test_output2.png'"
echo $TEST
$TEST

try:
code:
TEST="convert 'test.png' -font Impact -fill blue  -pointsize 40 -fill blue  -draw \"text 50,175 '"'[going fast intensifies]'"'\" 'test_output2.png'"

Mario Incandenza
Aug 24, 2000

Tell me, small fry, have you ever heard of the golden Triumph Forks?
please dont post imagemagick command lines or convert error messages without a trigger warning, tia

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~

Progressive JPEG posted:

i have a hidpi thinkpad+monitor for work atm and wow gnome3 sure isnt ready for that

more ready than most other environments including windows

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Mario Incandenza posted:

please dont post imagemagick command lines or convert error messages without a trigger warning, tia

Same, except mark them nws for me :dong:

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

hackbunny posted:

try:
code:

TEST="convert 'test.png' -font Impact -fill blue  -pointsize 40 -fill blue  -draw \"text 50,175 '"'[going fast intensifies]'"'\" 'test_output2.png'"

this may work but instead im just going to write out a bunch of common python stuff

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

i only brought a modded ps1 with me, so to watch media on my crt television i need to re-encode. firstly

ffmpeg -i <infile> -vcodec rawvideo -s 320x240 -r 30 -an <outfile> (.avi, max res + max framerate)

ffmpeg -i <infile> -acodec pcm_s16le -vn <outfile> (.wav)

then i bounce the result to an ancient windows virtual machine running the psy-q devkit to re-encode to playstation's proprietary STR video format w/ interleaved XA audio. afaik str video is pretty similar to jpeg. the str files need to be embedded into the iso as xasource using buildcd. then there's a a bit more mastering, putting the system.cnf and executable in the right place using community tools

quality is not good, but when i'm watching "keeping up with the kardashians" or some poo poo, worse is better

"vide file name" lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 26, 2016

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
i do everything normally except whenever im working with tfs i just scream constantly

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I run gedit under root instead of using vi.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Larry Parrish posted:

Wild

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Larry Parrish posted:

i didn't know sudoedit was a thing until recently. well that's my story :tipshat:

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

compuserved posted:

i didn't know sudoedit was a thing until recently. well that's my story :tipshat:

never even have to leave emacs

code:
(defun sudo-edit (&optional arg)
  (interactive "p")
  (if (or arg (not buffer-file-name))
      (find-file (concat "/sudo:root@localhost:" (ido-read-file-name "File: ")))
    (find-alternate-file (concat "/sudo:root@localhost:" buffer-file-name))))

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the other day my display driver got infected with fail aids and i had to fix it by retyping some code fromthe arch linux reddit on my phone into a text file using vi from the recovery console or whatever it was fuckin cool. badass hacker moves, BROTHER! YOSPOS BITCH!

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Smythe posted:

the other day my display driver got infected with fail aids and i had to fix it by retyping some code fromthe arch linux reddit on my phone into a text file using vi from the recovery console or whatever it was fuckin cool. badass hacker moves, BROTHER! YOSPOS BITCH!

2016 tyolotd

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Smythe posted:

loving Smooth

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

tazjin posted:

never even have to leave emacs

code:
(defun sudo-edit (&optional arg)
  (interactive "p")
  (if (or arg (not buffer-file-name))
      (find-file (concat "/sudo:root@localhost:" (ido-read-file-name "File: ")))
    (find-alternate-file (concat "/sudo:root@localhost:" buffer-file-name))))

shameful

why doesn't this properly handle remote files and multi-hop transport?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Smythe posted:

Windows 2000 is epic. Wise choice OP.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
i disabled natural scrolling on my macbook pro

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

bobbilljim posted:

in the same vein, i inverted the scrollwheel on my mouse

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

well yeah it's emacs

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

bobbilljim posted:

natural scrolling is bad

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

OldAlias posted:

i only brought a modded ps1 with me, so to watch media on my crt television i need to re-encode. firstly

ffmpeg -i <infile> -vcodec rawvideo -s 320x240 -r 30 -an <outfile> (.avi, max res + max framerate)

ffmpeg -i <infile> -acodec pcm_s16le -vn <outfile> (.wav)

then i bounce the result to an ancient windows virtual machine running the psy-q devkit to re-encode to playstation's proprietary STR video format w/ interleaved XA audio. afaik str video is pretty similar to jpeg. the str files need to be embedded into the iso as xasource using buildcd. then there's a a bit more mastering, putting the system.cnf and executable in the right place using community tools

quality is not good, but when i'm watching "keeping up with the kardashians" or some poo poo, worse is better

"vide file name" lol

jesus christ get a $30 potable dvd player

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
lol i will probably only watch a dvd maybe 3 or 4 more times in my life

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

mishaq posted:

natural scrolling is bad
First thing I do with a new mac is disable it.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
king Sperglord Marco has you beat.

when he is working, the only thing he listens to phish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Wild EEPROM posted:

when he is working, the only thing he listens to phish.

I've never understood how someone can obsess over the very best audiophile headphones and then use them solely to listen to podcasts and jam band soundboard recordings

that's like obsessing over the very best crystal goblets in which to serve tap water and box wine

• Locked thread