Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who wins next year?
This poll is closed.
NJIT 6 7.32%
Northwestern 9 10.98%
Pitbull 6 7.32%
Duke/Satan 11 13.41%
A blue blood 11 13.41%
"Leadership and academics" 11 13.41%
UCI loving Anteaters 10 12.20%
Connecticut Women Basketball in the Mens 18 21.95%
Total: 52 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Tall people are a little more likely to have heart problems, Moses Malone just died of heart issues at 60. Also, being tall makes normal things a pain in the rear end. I'm 6'-2", and flying coach sucks for me. My knees are constantly pressed into the back of the seat, I can't imagine being any taller. Plus, lots of clothing needs to get special ordered because stores won't carry things tall/large enough. I'm like right at the cusp of still fitting into clothes at stores, but I still special order stuff like dress shirts because the sleeves are always too short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

Terrible news...

University of Dayton basketball player Steve McElvene died Thursday at 20, UD announced.

http://www.whio.com/news/sports/report-dayton-flyers-center-steve-mcelvene-dies-at/nrL5D/

This kid was going to be really, really good.

Yeah, he was from my home town. Sad story.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

kiimo posted:

I feel like the taller you get the worse your quality of life is and also the greater the danger of dying young because your heart goes out.

Unrelated I have a friend who is 6'9 (I'm 5'11) and it's next to impossible to hang out with him unless he's sitting down. It's exhausting on the neck to just hang around him.

Interesting

Imagine to how he feels looking down all the time

Bird in a Blender posted:

Tall people are a little more likely to have heart problems, Moses Malone just died of heart issues at 60. Also, being tall makes normal things a pain in the rear end. I'm 6'-2", and flying coach sucks for me. My knees are constantly pressed into the back of the seat, I can't imagine being any taller. Plus, lots of clothing needs to get special ordered because stores won't carry things tall/large enough. I'm like right at the cusp of still fitting into clothes at stores, but I still special order stuff like dress shirts because the sleeves are always too short.

I'm the same height and I don't have that issue with clothes. Maybe your arms are longer than average?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

6'2 with a long wingspan? Someone recruit this guy

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Metapod posted:

Interesting

Imagine to how he feels looking down all the time

I'm the same height and I don't have that issue with clothes. Maybe your arms are longer than average?

I'm taller than both of you and can't find any clothes that are long enough for me that aren't also a goddamn tent.

Some of us tall people are also slim, damnit. :argh:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Hello Towel posted:

I'm taller than both of you and can't find any clothes that are long enough for me that aren't also a goddamn tent.

I'm sorry :smith:

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I'm 3'7" and weigh 500 pounds

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Hello Towel posted:

That is sort of my problem too. I have a 16 neck and a 35/36 sleeve. Most of the time I can't find a shirt past 34. My wing span is like 77" or so. I also have like a 35 inseam, but I usually make 34 work because I can find those.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
In general bodies are weird and off-the-shelf clothing truly fits maybe 15-20% of the population even in "normal" size ranges.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

elentar posted:

In general bodies are weird and off-the-shelf clothing truly fits maybe 15-20% of the population even in "normal" size ranges.

I can buy suits (well jackets) off the rack and it owns a whole lot

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

gently caress skinny jeans. i did too many squats.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

MourningView posted:

I can buy suits (well jackets) off the rack and it owns a whole lot

Congrats on your successful genetic coin flip.

(Jackets are mostly OK for me but pants a total mess; fortunately I'm an academic, so I can buy pieces off the rack and know that almost everyone around me will be equally badly or worse dressed.)

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

That is sort of my problem too. I have a 16 neck and a 35/36 sleeve. Most of the time I can't find a shirt past 34. My wing span is like 77" or so. I also have like a 35 inseam, but I usually make 34 work because I can find those.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Metapod posted:

I mean, it's a total 1st world problem, so it ain't that bad. Long arms do come in handy.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Seemingly out of nowhere, Kansas got a 6'10 transfer Evan Maxwell out of Liberty. His brother is 7 feet and considering joining him. So after his year for transfer KU could conceivably have two 7-footers (Maxwell and Udoka) and two 6-10 guys. :stare:

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I'm 6'3 and there are lots of clothes that fit me length wise, however almost any that do are way to loose as I'm more of a Manute Bol type tall person

It is definitely not great seeing all of these players transfer to not Michigan schools while actual Michigan has 2 open scholarships

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I'm 6'3 and there are lots of clothes that fit me length wise, however almost any that do are way to loose as I'm more of a Manute Bol type tall person

It is definitely not great seeing all of these players transfer to not Michigan schools while actual Michigan has 2 open scholarships

Would you go to Michigan as a big man?

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Marquis de Pyro posted:

:smith::respek::smith:

After earlier saying that he would definitely stay in the draft, reports are coming out that Troy Williams is still "50-50" on returning to Indiana.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Hello Towel posted:

After earlier saying that he would definitely stay in the draft, reports are coming out that Troy Williams is still "50-50" on returning to Indiana.

Pacers worked him out so there seems to be some interest out there, probably late 1st territory. He could probably improve on that by staying, but can't fault a guy if he is sure of being taken in the 1st round. 2nd is a lot more dicey.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
When is the deadline to return to college?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Henchman of Santa posted:

When is the deadline to return to college?

10 days after the NBA combine, which is May 25th this year.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Eltoasto posted:

Pacers worked him out so there seems to be some interest out there, probably late 1st territory. He could probably improve on that by staying, but can't fault a guy if he is sure of being taken in the 1st round. 2nd is a lot more dicey.

Yeah, I was 100% expecting Troy to leave so I wouldn't be upset at all if he ends up going. It would be an awesome bonus if he stays another year though.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Regnevelc posted:

Would you go to Michigan as a big man?

They have a million big men. They need wing players at this point

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Looks like Bill Self's PUA approach to Diallo didn't work. But really, what does it matter? KU will win the Big 12 every year until it breaks up or the sun engulfs the Earth.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Grad transfer Valentine Izundu is transferring to SDSU for his last year of eligibility, after a big drama battle with Wazzu not granting him his release even though he had already graduated.

I am happy. He'll step in immediately and try to pick up the slack for the departed Skylar Spencer. Hooray.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Marquis de Pyro posted:

They have a million big men. They need wing players at this point

That's true, I forgot about Davis and Teske coming in.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

NC State has signed Uzbek-born 7-footer and Turkish pro Omer Yurtseven.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

He was a Turkish pro? Kentucky fans are probably all over this today considering Enes Kanter.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Omer must be a common Turkish first name.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

kiimo posted:

He was a Turkish pro? Kentucky fans are probably all over this today considering Enes Kanter.

ISU also had a guy a few years back that had to sit for a year because he allegedly got paid some money to play in Germany. I don't think he ever ended up playing a game because of all the eligibility questions.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

ISU also had a guy a few years back that had to sit for a year because he allegedly got paid some money to play in Germany. I don't think he ever ended up playing a game because of all the eligibility questions.

That will probably be the case here. The kid's parents say he never got paid, the team says they did pay him, etc etc. He'll be in the draft next year whether he plays a game for State or not.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Which goons are U of Memphis basketball fans? Nick? I'm curious about the grad transfer that Butler picked up from there - Avery Woodson. Seems he can by the 3 ball pretty well.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

elentar posted:

That will probably be the case here. The kid's parents say he never got paid, the team says they did pay him, etc etc. He'll be in the draft next year whether he plays a game for State or not.

If I recall correctly, this was exactly the case with Kanter.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah I'm interested to hear what in this story is not exactly like Kanter.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

kiimo posted:

Yeah I'm interested to hear what in this story is not exactly like Kanter.

Are the kid and his parents embroiled in political turmoil? http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/enes-kanter-says-he-was-left-off-turkey-s-national-team-for-his-politics-012559007.html

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Ohio State C Trevor Thompson wisely comes to the realization that he actually kind of sucks at basketball, withdraws from draft.

whos that broooown fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 17, 2016

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Ricky Doyle is bringing awkward dunk more likely a turnover city to Florida Gulf Coast

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

SeannieDarko posted:

Which goons are U of Memphis basketball fans? Nick? I'm curious about the grad transfer that Butler picked up from there - Avery Woodson. Seems he can by the 3 ball pretty well.

I'm not a Memphis State fan but I live in Memphis. He's a good shooter and can play a little defense but isn't great at creating.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
been a while but gently caress texas tech and gently caress chris beard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Abdul-Malik Abu coming back to NC State, so the Pack may actually be pretty good next year if the Yurt man can get eligible.

• Locked thread