Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rdsarna
Feb 13, 2016

Sorry, I'm NOT Funny! :airquote:
My "serious" Channel

Quantum break is a third-person action game developed by the Max Payne and Alan Wake developer, Remedy Entertainment. It's out now on XBOX One and Windows 10. The game boasts a unique aesthetic style with a lot of cool looking effects uplifting the visuals. The gameplay is supposed to be unique too, with the hero having time powers which are supposed to make this game much more than a simple third-person shooter.

The short description from the official website goes like -
When time breaks, catastrophe becomes your playground. As hero Jack Joyce, you'll fight your way through epic disasters that stutter back and forth in time. But surviving this unstable world--and halting the end of time itself--is only possible by mastering your new time powers.

Reception / Reviews
The game was released on April 5th, 2016 and the embargo lifted a few days in advance, so there's a lot of differing views on the game across the internet. Like in terms of review scores, Gamespot and Giant Bomb are at the lower end of the spectrum with 6/10 and 2/5 respectively while Polygon and IGN are on the higher end with 8.5/10 and 8/10. This disparity in opinions for a big budget AAA game is quite interesting to read. In general, such games usually fall in the same score bracket. But with this game people will have to play for themselves to judge it. Can't rely on a unanimously positive reaction like in the case of Witcher 3 or a bad one in the case of Order 1886.

PC Port
A PC version of the game was announced extremely late in the development process. The game was originally supposed to be an XBOX One exclusive, but was revealed to be getting a PC release on the same day. I shouldn't call it a PC release because you can only buy this game on Windows 10 via the Windows Store. No Steam or GOG. Some people heavily criticized this decision since the Universal Windows Platform (UWP) is an unproven closed ecosystem with very limited access to the inner workings of its apps. From what I have gathered and experienced, those people were right to pan this release because the PC port is quite bad.
Also in some regions (like India), the game is priced higher than the XBOX One version! What?

I did a review for the game -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC9hQW9c9Iw

rdsarna fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdsarna
Feb 13, 2016

My "serious" Channel
I downloaded the game on PC and have been messing around with it. I haven't started my main playthrough yet.

First of all, I cannot accurately judge the performance of the game. No FPS counters are supported! Tried Dxtory, Fraps, Shadowplay, MSI Afterburner, Overwolf. Nothing works with UWP. F**k MS.
Also, no way to capture in-game footage with any of the aforementioned apps. The only way is to use the XBOX Game DVR feature but it records at max 30fps.

After looking around on the net, I found a workaround. Capture desktop using Shadowplay while game is in windowed mode. But there's no borderless window mode in the game so the game has to run below 1080p in the maximized window.

Anyways, here's a quick and dirty video of the first 5 minutes -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcKGai2hvvU

I'm running the game on a 980Ti and haven't yet gotten to the effects heavy action-y parts but here are some early observations -

- It runs OK so far, at least on my PC. It's not a complete disaster like Arkham Knight at launch, which was reportedly dipping to sub-10fps levels. Not that we should start accepting this quality in PC ports but this one can be improved via patches.

- Frame rate needs to be eye-balled but it definitely stays above 45-50fps. When I locked FPS at 30 in the menu, the effect was super jarring.

- The game looks great but it's not a huge step up from the XBO version. Proof - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWuaE15Q1go. To see a huge step up, compare ROTR on XBO and PC.

- Heavily post-processed visuals without the option to turn those effects down/off. I personally prefer a clear image over a smudged one.

- There's a weird ghosting effect around some edges like the protagonist's hair when it is being hit by a direct light source. Anti-aliasing issue? Stylistic choice?

- Texture filtering looks real nice.

- Some amount of pop-in especially in shadows but it's negligible.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

So... is it fun to play?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i picked this up last night and didnt dink with it too much. it seemed cool to start but playing it windowed on a 2560 X 1080 is a bit annoying.

rdsarna
Feb 13, 2016

My "serious" Channel

FactsAreUseless posted:

So... is it fun to play?

Get back to you in a few hours :)

rdsarna
Feb 13, 2016

My "serious" Channel
If you're pirating the game -

But this eye-patch is also triggered if you start the game while logged out of your account on the Windows Store. MS showed them pirates!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

rdsarna posted:

Get back to you in a few hours :)
How long did you spend messing with recording software and FPS optimization before you played it?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

FactsAreUseless posted:

How long did you spend messing with recording software and FPS optimization before you played it?

pc master race yo spend hours tweaking before playing.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

rdsarna posted:

If you're pirating the game -

But this eye-patch is also triggered if you start the game while logged out of your account on the Windows Store. MS showed them pirates!

They should have filmed a second version of all the FMV bits to incorporate the eye patch.

rdsarna
Feb 13, 2016

My "serious" Channel

FactsAreUseless posted:

An hour or so before heading to work. I'm going to play the game for a few hours after getting home.

SneakyFrog posted:

I enjoy tinkering a bit with the games that I get on PC. But definitely not hours. And my intention was not to evoke the PC master race kind of sentiment.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

rdsarna posted:

An hour or so before heading to work. I'm going to play the game for a few hours after getting home.

I enjoy tinkering a bit with the games that I get on PC. But definitely not hours. And my intention was not to evoke the PC master race kind of sentiment.

i was being semi sarcastic about the PC MASTER RACE poo poo.. , but i do like tweaking poo poo. :frog::respek::unsmith:

rdsarna
Feb 13, 2016

My "serious" Channel

FactsAreUseless posted:

So... is it fun to play?

Completed Act 2 and so far yes, it's quite fun. But it's fun because of the dazzling visuals more than the actual gameplay. The little platforming that I've done so far is extremely clunky. The gunplay and combat is fun because of all the effects and poo poo happening all around you. Other than that it's an average shooter. Looking forward to seeing if the story actually wraps up satisfactorily.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

poptart_fairy posted:

They should have filmed a second version of all the FMV bits to incorporate the eye patch.

Or CGIed it in post

rdsarna
Feb 13, 2016

My "serious" Channel
Remedy responds to some of the PC issues in the form of a FAQ. (Found on Neogaf).
http://community.remedygames.com/forum/games/quantum-break/260554-quantum-break-windows-10-faq

quote:

Quantum Break Windows 10 FAQ

Does the game support overlay software for broadcasting/streaming, benchmarking or mods?
That's determined by UWP, and currently the platform doesn't support overlay software. Microsoft is aware of this and are working on improving UWP.

I'm receiving a "File IO Failulre" error notice and the game doesn't launch.
It's an issue caused by having a Unicode based user account. We're working on fixing it ASAP, will update this thread with the latest status.

Does Windows 10 support SLI or Crossfire?
Multiple GPU set-ups aren't currently supported by UWP / DirectX 12.

There's something wrong with my savegame.
Please make sure you're running the latest version of Windows 10. Older versions have a bug which might cause a savegame error when playing a game with multiple user accounts on the same PC. To be sure, switch your account before signing in to the Xbox app and launching the game.

How much bandwidth does the live action show streaming require?
The game includes 4 episodes of the live action show, each episode being approximately 25 minutes. Streaming these will be similar to streaming a half hour TV show on typical video streaming services.

My high-end AMD GPU doesn't run the game in 4K / Ultra.
Please check if you have the latest drivers installed. Having 8gb RAM is recommended for 4K/ultra settings.

The game looks grainy.
The film grain effect becomes heavy on some TVs when the sharpness setting is too high. Also check if the cloud save has picked up your Xbox One game version gamma/brightness settings and pumped up the PC settings simultaneously.

Jack looks like a pirate.
DRM might've accidentally triggered. Reboot the game and eat a lot of vitamin C.

The game doesn't fit on my hard drive.
Check that your game download / installation hard drive has enough space. The installation package is about 45 Gb, the live action show is streamed so you don't need to worry about fitting additional 75 Gb on your drive.

The game is taking forever to download.
Microsoft is working on this and trying to improve server caching.

The game runs slowly on my system which meets the minimum spec.
The game defaults to your screen resolution. Try lowering the resolution from the game's display settings.

Can I limit my framerate?
The game supports 60fps and the framerate is based on your system resources. Capping the framerate isn't supported.

Why is the PC version only on Windows 10 and sold only through the Windows Store?
The publisher decides where and on what platform to distribute the game.

How can I quit the game?
It's like Brokeback Mountain all over again... You can exit Quantum Break just like any Windows 10 application, move the mouse cursor to the upper right corner and the regular [X] should appear.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

So... is it fun to play?

Yes......and no

Autosaving sometimes doesn't work, when you die you're sent back 10 mins
Time powers are neat to use
The Mocap on facial animation rivals la noire

Gameplay is max Payne 2.0, which is good

However the worst thing I have noticed so far (on episode 4)

- three times I was stuck trying to figure out what to do, objectives can be obtuse
- loving stupid as hell battles sometimes, bullet sponge vs 1 or 2 hit kills
- cover gameplay without good chest high walls
- 75gb download on xbone is essential for no stuttering on tv show

Tv show is pretty good though, it's 24 with a time mechanic

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Are the TV eps on youtube/selectable anywhere? Curious to see how the show changes with the choices I don't make during my playthrough instead of having to play it a second time.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
the gunplay is utter poo poo. they sound and shoot like poo poo. If you didnt have magical time powers it would be a lot more annoying. and I dont know what kind of Instagram JJ abrams filter they are using but ugh.

kinda neato story so far though.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

rdsarna posted:

Remedy responds to some of the PC issues in the form of a FAQ. (Found on Neogaf).
http://community.remedygames.com/forum/games/quantum-break/260554-quantum-break-windows-10-faq

Wow sounds like a great port that I should support with my money :yum:

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Have you guys gotten your PC codes yet, those who preordered the Bone version? I sure haven't.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

FactsAreUseless posted:

So... is it fun to play?

Yes.

Enjoying the hell out of it on the Bone.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Did not, playing on the Bone.

SneakyFrog posted:

Nope! Bone.

hanyolo posted:

Are the TV eps on youtube/selectable anywhere? Curious to see how the show changes with the choices I don't make during my playthrough instead of having to play it a second time.

You can select or deselect the "quantum ripples" in your collectibles menu... unsure about more than that

theultimo posted:

- cover gameplay without good chest high walls

If it were a pure cover shooter, yeah. But I think you're supposed to be constantly using your powers, especially the dash, which is Bullet Time 2.3.

Zat posted:

Have you guys gotten your PC codes yet, those who preordered the Bone version? I sure haven't.

Not yet.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I got through the first chapter last night. The shooting does seem a bit floaty; I wonder if that was on purpose to encourage you to always be using your powers? In any case zooming around and blasting bitches in the back is super fun.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Well, it's not Unreal Tournament 3. It will never feel that tight. Also yes, I think you're supposed to use your powers often, without them the game would be pretty boring gameplay-wise.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Well, it's not Unreal Tournament 3. It will never feel that tight. Also yes, I think you're supposed to use your powers often, without them the game would be pretty boring gameplay-wise.

RB HOLD is such a great opener the lb hold and punch mans

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
And man junction 3 can change the game considerably

Choose wisely

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
Pre-ordered this on Xbone back in june when canadian Amazon was having a 30% off pre-orders deal, wondering if I should open it now or hope that the PC version will get fixed, I have a good pc that would on paper run it very well but it seems to have a lot of issues. I can still return it to amazon if I go the PC route.

Has there been a single game that hasn't been broken as gently caress on release with the Windows 10 store?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

BobbyBaudoin posted:

Pre-ordered this on Xbone back in june when canadian Amazon was having a 30% off pre-orders deal, wondering if I should open it now or hope that the PC version will get fixed, I have a good pc that would on paper run it very well but it seems to have a lot of issues. I can still return it to amazon if I go the PC route.

Has there been a single game that hasn't been broken as gently caress on release with the Windows 10 store?

Rise of the tomb raider

But only because it was released on steam as well

rdsarna
Feb 13, 2016

My "serious" Channel

BobbyBaudoin posted:

Actually Killer Instinct worked almost fine if you have a 60Hz monitor.

And I would say wait for the PC code because the game stays above 50fps for me on ultra 90% of the time. So it's a decent experience and a little better than the XBOX One's. Although I haven't played the console version, just seen the footage online, so take my opinion as irrelevant.

rdsarna
Feb 13, 2016

My "serious" Channel
Digital Foundry's article on the PC version - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-what-went-wrong-with-quantum-break-pc

quote:

the Universal Windows Platform architecture is a huge issue for the PC right now. There are problems with this game, such as frame-pacing, which could be fixed by users right now but that becomes impossible due to UWP's limitations. In the case of Quantum Break, this means that we're basically held hostage waiting for improvements from the developer or from Microsoft itself, as if this were a console game.

quote:

As it stands, we've found that it's impossible to experience the game at a smooth 30 or 60fps on the PC. Frame-pacing issues and the inability to reach your display's refresh rate are a genuine issue for the PC version and prevent the game from ever feeling as smooth as the Xbox One version.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So does that mean that pirated copies, which I assume don't have any hooks with the UWP, actually run a lot better than legit ones? :lol:

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Mordja posted:

So does that mean that pirated copies, which I assume don't have any hooks with the UWP, actually run a lot better than legit ones? :lol:

From what I'm seeing yes and no

Yes it runs better but the game still isn't fully cracked, as the game constantly drains your health and gives you an eyepatch

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Ah I knew about the eyepatch thing but not the health drain.

rdsarna
Feb 13, 2016

My "serious" Channel
Reaction after game ended and returned me to the main menu -

"Huh? Is that it? Was that the end?"

Why do developers feel they have to end every game with a cliffhanger? It's the Marvel post-credits syndrome.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

rdsarna posted:

Why do developers feel they have to end every game with a cliffhanger? It's the Marvel post-credits syndrome.

Nothing has an ending anymore, gotta put the hook in for sequels you know

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Nobody makes games these days, they make franchises.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
So I finished the game last night, and the story is pretty nutso, but good. A lot of it might be hard to follow with so many timelines going on.

I managed to choose all of the junctions that the majority of players chose. I'm debating going back through and choosing the others for achievements and to see how the show plays out.

If you have any story questions, go ahead and ask.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

rdsarna posted:

well gently caress.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

rdsarna posted:

I haven't finished it yet, but I pretty much expected an ending like this a year before release when Remedy talked about how Microsoft wanted QB to be a long-running franchise.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
The tv show should have been the game to be honest

The game doesn't have the same character

It's like the main actor could only do no emotion

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The main character was voiced and played by a different person through most of the game's development. The change to the current actor happened sometime between late 2014/early 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdsarna
Feb 13, 2016

My "serious" Channel

bear is driving! posted:

So I finished the game last night, and the story is pretty nutso, but good. A lot of it might be hard to follow with so many timelines going on.

I managed to choose all of the junctions that the majority of players chose. I'm debating going back through and choosing the others for achievements and to see how the show plays out.

If you have any story questions, go ahead and ask.

I agree that the story is good but will you remember it fondly in an year or so? I mean will it have a lasting effect on you? For me, it was like a fun ride but way too easily forgettable.

• Locked thread