Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Does Windows 10 automatically give me microsoft office? I'm tired of having to open excel spreadsheets on my phone like some kind of poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I honestly prefer the free online versions, I don't even have to save I just walk away and my poo poo is at school or whatever

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mdm posted:

this happened to me constantly during finals recently, it happened repeatedly because windows updates were so broken so it would try to upgrade, fail to upgrade, take forever to revert updates, and then try again a day or two later with no option to stop. Someone deserves to be fired over this, or killed maybe

I was so angry at the time I would have killed whomever was responsible really slowly. Like over the course of 8 hours.

But now I'm drunk so IDGAF :coolfish:

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Professor Shark posted:

I honestly prefer the free online versions, I don't even have to save I just walk away and my poo poo is at school or whatever

Those online versions dont offer dick in the way of font or formatting options

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

I was so angry at the time I would have killed whomever was responsible really slowly. Like over the course of 8 hours.

But now I'm drunk so IDGAF :coolfish:

same but not drunk, still chill tho :coolfish:

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mdm posted:

same but not drunk, still chill tho :coolfish:

Enjoy your day, friend

POSTED FROM MY WINDOWS10 MACHINE

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Can anyone c/d that 10 removes the ability to search applications when you open the start screen? Start button + the first couple letters of the application + enter is how I've launched things for years now in Windows and someone told me that they removed that

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

big black turnout posted:

Can anyone c/d that 10 removes the ability to search applications when you open the start screen? Start button + the first couple letters of the application + enter is how I've launched things for years now in Windows and someone told me that they removed that

deny

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.
If you really, really don't want the upgrade, there's a little program that disables it -- "GWX Control Panel" from ultimateoutsider.com. I'm not affiliated with them but I've used it several times and it appears to work. I just use the top two buttons, which get rid of the flag icon in the tray and then inhibit the update.

If you boot up one day and see a big, blue End License Agreement on your screen, you can decline. Then the machine will reboot into the old OS.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Bananaquiter posted:

Does Windows 10 automatically give me microsoft office? I'm tired of having to open excel spreadsheets on my phone like some kind of poor.

No they hella don't, MS Office is their golden goose.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

notZaar posted:

No they hella don't, MS Office is their golden goose.

just get open office, its free and exactly the same thing

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex posted:

I got a license for the newest version through work for $10, I'm satisfied.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

Fun fact, Apple doesn't track you and they take privacy more serious than any other tech company so maybe you should reevaluate what companies you support if you actually value privacy

lmao

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.
I thought I checkmated Bill when I uninstalled the win10 kb, but little did I know it somehow deactivated win updates and I have been "unsafe" for like 6 months :(

Boinks posted:

I'd love to try Apple out but they don't make skinny jeans big enough and I've never been in a Starbucks in my life.
They have lost their way of late too imo. They have locked down their hardware (even more) and are doing dumb poo poo in the OS to merge it with an ipad (not as bad as win10).
I reckon they were winning in 2008 (laptops, before the cheap pc laptop blitz) and 2013 (laptop hardware / imacs). Try and get a 2013 era mac (for $15 less than you can buy a new one!).

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Windows 10 on the Surface Pro is really good. It's not perfect yet but I'm never going back to an iPad.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I don't understand how people only use an iOS or Android tablet and don't use anything else

I just can't do it

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

loquacius posted:

I don't understand how people only use an iOS or Android tablet and don't use anything else

I just can't do it

It is a blessing. My father uses iPad only, you've got no idea how many virus cleaning hours this has saved me.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
get a mac

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

apple only pretends to give a poo poo about privacy since the snowden revelations. if there was no scrutiny they'd be more than happy to cooperate with government backdoor requests. its just good PR

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Uxzuigal posted:

It is a blessing. My father uses iPad only, you've got no idea how many virus cleaning hours this has saved me.

Ok let me amend that, I don't understand how people under the age of 60 only use an iOS or Android tablet and don't use anything else

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Rutibex posted:

Open office sucks so hard it pulled my balls through my urethra.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hatebag posted:

whats wrong with it? works fine for me, and i couldnt find anything that Office does that OpenOffice cant do

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Office is not free but the "Get office now" ads certainly are.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Can you reserve the upgrade without actually installing it?

Enemy Ace
Mar 14, 2006
"We stain the sky. We fight a war in heaven."
I'm using Win10 at work, Win7 at home.

And I think that one of the few positive things about Windows 10 is that it's not Windows 8.

I can still see the metro poo poo sneaking around though. It's like Win8 had this full blown horrible disease, and Win10 has only been partially cured.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Post how to make windows 10 usable:

Start menu replacement

Disable lock screen

Remove bullshit folders from explorer

Voila!

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
or u could just behave like a normal goon and install linux. hvae u installed linux yet? install linux

Enemy Ace
Mar 14, 2006
"We stain the sky. We fight a war in heaven."

"Jump through these hoops to get the Win7 experience." Nah, I'll just stick with Win7.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

or u could just behave like a normal goon and install linux. hvae u installed linux yet? install linux

Linux is bad now because of systemd. Everyone install FreeBSD.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:

Enemy Ace posted:

I'm using Win10 at work, Win7 at home.

And I think that one of the few positive things about Windows 10 is that it's not Windows 8.

I can still see the metro poo poo sneaking around though. It's like Win8 had this full blown horrible disease, and Win10 has only been partially cured.

oh gosh LOL thats funny, sharing this with my PC firends

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

i have! i now have a dual boot of mint Linux because of this thread. it's pretty sweat, it runs faster than windows 7 and has all the open source goodies i remember

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:

paul_soccer10 posted:

apple only pretends to give a poo poo about privacy since the snowden revelations. if there was no scrutiny they'd be more than happy to cooperate with government backdoor requests. its just good PR

i think its more likely they want to get the lucrative government contracts which are currently controlled by 8 year old secure blackberries by showing that even the FBI can't get into a phone you make is a really good advertisement for your security.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Hatebag posted:

openoffice is like the only linux nerd thing that doesn't actively hate you and want you to suffer

Reverse Arab
Feb 14, 2010
i'm still running vista at home

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Boinks posted:

I'd love to try Apple out but they don't make skinny jeans big enough and I've never been in a Starbucks in my life.

There's no dress code for Apple products, friend.

Meowbot posted:

people who stay on windows 7 are idiots

oh no, a newer better operating system that does everything better and increases my productivity and enjoyment ofm y life is being given away to me for free, better uninstall it and hide inside of a rock like a scorpion in a yard except this time you have no tree to crawl into my open mouth at night and lay your scorfpion eggs mother fuckar

why not get windows 10? its like someone syaing want a blow job and ur like no im not interested in cool stufff

The Xbox One is also pretty cool, you guys! Try it out sometime with an open heart.

Rutibex posted:

No, it's slightly superficially different, maybe the same way Windows 10 is different from 7 or 8? My family members are all still pissed because I wouldn't magically make a free copy of Office appear on each of their computers and made OpenOffice appear instead.

loquacius posted:

Ok let me amend that, I don't understand how people under the age of 60 only use an iOS or Android tablet and don't use anything else

Uh, what do you need to do on a tablet that you can't on an iOS or Android tablet?

Bearing in mind that it's quite possible to jailbreak or root those, respectively, those if you're just not happy unless you're loving around with code and signing things and whatever.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

lol just got an email reminding me onedrive space reduced to 5gb

lmao micro$haft thanks i guess I'll exclusively use dropbox from now on

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

paul_soccer10 posted:

lol do you not understand why they're shoving it down everyones throats for free?
this is like thinking facebook is going to start charging you money to hand your personal information to advertisers

microsoft doesnt need to give you win10 to datamine you

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
seriously it doesnt matter what fukken phone u're using or what os you have there's a way for your government to track you and get whatever info about you they want

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Robo Reagan posted:

seriously it doesnt matter what fukken phone u're using or what os you have there's a way for your government to track you and get whatever info about you they want

Word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I got an email at work the other day saying that any new laptops would be running windows 10... was not thrilled to hear that,. I hope my work machine lasts forever.

• Locked thread