Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I got an email at work the other day saying that any new laptops would be running windows 10... was not thrilled to hear that,. I hope my work machine lasts forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Robo Reagan posted:

microsoft doesnt need to give you win10 to datamine you

If you buy into windows 10, though, you're saying to them that you're okay with that and that you are openly inviting them to do so in exchange for their free offer. I'm not.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CJacobs posted:

If you buy into windows 10, though, you're saying to them that you're okay with that and that you are openly inviting them to do so in exchange for their free offer. I'm not.

my thoughts exactly. got to make them earn it. once you give in they won't give you gifts any more to violate your privacy, the will expect it.

microsoft is getting really creepy with this 1984 stuff, no i don't want to put a camera into my living room that will target advertising to me better, thanks microsoft

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Why would anyone need something other than windows 95?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

CJacobs posted:

You tell them where to draw the line, man. You tell them.

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.

Hatebag posted:

Open office sucks so hard it pulled my balls through my urethra.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
After several months of blocking updates and altering my registry to keep the nag from telling me to upgrade only to have microsoft undo my registry changes, I finally got sick of fighting them and let them upgrade me from Win7.

It errored out mid-upgrade without telling me the reason.

GORDON fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 9, 2016

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

GORDON posted:

After several months of blocking updates and altering my registry to keep the nag from telling me to upgrade only to have microsoft undo my registry changes, I finally got sick of fighting them and let them upgrade me to Win7.

It errored out mid-upgrade without telling me the reason.
yeah what's wrong with Windows 95?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Merkinman posted:

Thank you for calling attention to my syntax error, sorry if it confused you. It's been fixed.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

The Merkinman posted:

a question for the ages

e: whoops was thinking of windows98

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Windows 10 updated last night for me and patched that pesky "being able to connect to the Internet" bug

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I upgraded but my laptop wasn't compatable so my wifi stopped working and long story short I have to back everything up and manually reinstall windows 7:thumbsup:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Toriori posted:

I upgraded but my laptop wasn't compatable so my wifi stopped working and long story short I have to back everything up and manually reinstall windows 7:thumbsup:

Impossible. Windows 10 fixed everything. Stop being an old.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'll use Win7 until Microsoft starts sending me a cheque for my information OR until they just change me over without my permission

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

I've been fighting with the auto updater for awhile now, just the other day I caught (but stopped it) from just auto upgrading me (funnily enough I only saw it because it interrupted a streamed game on steam and I could see onto my host computer for awhile).

What I find weird is that it's super serious about this on my Windows 7 PC, but my 8.1 laptop never gets the notifications, it's always there in the tray, but nothing else.

And my husband who is on Windows 7, he doesn't even get the notifications and that just raises more questions.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Syfe posted:

I've been fighting with the auto updater for awhile now, just the other day I caught (but stopped it) from just auto upgrading me (funnily enough I only saw it because it interrupted a streamed game on steam and I could see onto my host computer for awhile).

What I find weird is that it's super serious about this on my Windows 7 PC, but my 8.1 laptop never gets the notifications, it's always there in the tray, but nothing else.

And my husband who is on Windows 7, he doesn't even get the notifications and that just raises more questions.

i think they are rolling out the more "aggressive" upgrades in staggered waves, in order to prevent a large backlash

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
That or your husband is using an "internet license" version of windows and disabled auto updates entirely after KB-971033.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
i got a new pro mlg gamer 360 nojokes laptop with windows 10 and for like a month the start menu wouldnt work and clicking it would force you to restart your computer

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Windows 10 is real good you should probably just let it install.

Nicomo
Jan 22, 2015
10 owns this poo poo out of 7 and 8, do not fear my friend

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i'm going to install windows 9. it'll be like going to the 13th floor of an apartment building

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop
the main reason i haven't updated to 10 yet is because of the potential hassle if i want to do a reinstall, later down the road.

i have the original, legit windows 7 disc and everything and so doing so is a snap.

i just have visions of later reinstalls and subsequent win10 upgrades to be a giant hassle - i'm probably making it all sound more difficult in my head than it actually would be, but enh..

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Gomi Day posted:

the main reason i haven't updated to 10 yet is because of the potential hassle if i want to do a reinstall, later down the road.

i have the original, legit windows 7 disc and everything and so doing so is a snap.

i just have visions of later reinstalls and subsequent win10 upgrades to be a giant hassle - i'm probably making it all sound more difficult in my head than it actually would be, but enh..

win10 can be a huge pain in the rear end but one thing I can say in its favor is that the reinstallation is painless. I had a computer running on a Win10 upgrade just refuse to boot and it was able to reinstall the OS from wherever it had saved itself on the harddrive without any hassle.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm on 10 only because MS decided to hose my Windows 7 install by corrupting my Windows Update and making it so I couldn't install any new security updates.

It's not terrible I guess

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
you do in fact have a choice, not only can you revert your system but you can remove all the stuff that automatically downloads windows 10 and pushes it on you

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Windows 10 is okay but jesus christ what were they thinking with the calculator, the legacy one was perfectly fine but the new one is a huge steaming pile of horseshit. "PLEASE RATE THIS APP!" it's a loving calculator gently caress off rear end in a top hat

but hey it's boxy and looks pretty that's all the matters right? Also love seeing ads for Minecraft all over the place and how programs are now called apps on a loving desktop computer

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Honestly, can you change the way that windows look? I hate the right corner windows

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
I've been using Windosw 10 for over five years and now I'm addicted to Musky Husky brand dog semen so I guess it's all been worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Nicomo posted:

10 owns this poo poo out of 7 and 8, do not fear my friend

8 maybe but 7 is superior except for the lack of modern drivers and worse window snapping

• Locked thread