Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i disabled all the poo poo and removed the updates, but still the windows 10 virus kept managing to install itself. eventually i broke down and reformatted my computer (it needed it anyway, got to clear out the cobwebs). i used an old version of windows 7 from before microsoft even planned windows 10, and i disabled the automatic updates so they can't sneak their bullshit onto my computer any more.

it's been 1 month now and not a windows 10 peep, i think i finally killed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Na'at posted:

That's a lot of work to be a Luddite. Since you were reformatting anyways you probably should have just gone up to 10

i like to pretend that microsoft hadn't built government backdoors into their operating systems until recently

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Rage posted:

*runs Win7 updates*

*installs same backdoor as Win10*

no i told you i turned off the updates!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

That Robot posted:

enjoy your unpatched, vulnerable system then I guess lol

it's a waiting game. once everyone upgrades to windows 10 then no one will bother hacking windows 7 any more

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

everdave posted:

i didn't see it posted but you can search for gwx control panel windows 10 on google and download a small program that will disable the upgrade and delete all the files for win 10

it doesn't matter, microsoft is bundling Windows 10 spyware into critical security update for windows 7 & 8. you can get windows 10, or you can opt out and get the spyware anyway.

the only option is to disable security updates entirely, or switch to Linux i guess :shrug:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Superdude255 posted:

ya, and theyll start charging for their OS someday. or push advertising more.

so Win7 just wont support DirectX12? thats at least an actual reason to upgrade I guess. not enough for me though

the enterprise edition of windows 10 has all of the spyware disabled for real (because they actually respect their business customers I guess). if you want to upgrade then i suggest you "obtain" a copy of that instead of getting their free upgrade

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

That Robot posted:

lololol no dude

it means your system is low hanging fruit and easier to get to

malicious users know that a bunch of people are on XP so they still target it

same thing applies

don't be a dummy

:shrug:
i dont play many computer games, maybe i'll just switch back to Linux. i was uesing Ubuntu for a while as a laugh, but ended up switching back when i bought a new PC.

i really hate this attitude that tech companies have now, that no one gives a gently caress any more and they can just spy on me with impunity. Linux was more than serviceable back 7 years ago when i used it, i'm sure it even better now

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BirryJoru posted:

If you want to avoid that poo poo don't use Ubuntu.

Ubuntu has spyware in it? oh jeez! but that was the Linux that i liked. it didnt make me learn any command lines, just pretty icons to click on like windows. and it just worked and didn't need any special configuration.

all those other Linux are really scary :ohdear:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

notZaar posted:

No they hella don't, MS Office is their golden goose.

just get open office, its free and exactly the same thing

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hatebag posted:

Open office sucks so hard it pulled my balls through my urethra.

whats wrong with it? works fine for me, and i couldnt find anything that Office does that OpenOffice cant do

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

or u could just behave like a normal goon and install linux. hvae u installed linux yet? install linux

i have! i now have a dual boot of mint Linux because of this thread. it's pretty sweat, it runs faster than windows 7 and has all the open source goodies i remember

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CJacobs posted:

If you buy into windows 10, though, you're saying to them that you're okay with that and that you are openly inviting them to do so in exchange for their free offer. I'm not.

my thoughts exactly. got to make them earn it. once you give in they won't give you gifts any more to violate your privacy, the will expect it.

microsoft is getting really creepy with this 1984 stuff, no i don't want to put a camera into my living room that will target advertising to me better, thanks microsoft

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Syfe posted:

I've been fighting with the auto updater for awhile now, just the other day I caught (but stopped it) from just auto upgrading me (funnily enough I only saw it because it interrupted a streamed game on steam and I could see onto my host computer for awhile).

What I find weird is that it's super serious about this on my Windows 7 PC, but my 8.1 laptop never gets the notifications, it's always there in the tray, but nothing else.

And my husband who is on Windows 7, he doesn't even get the notifications and that just raises more questions.

i think they are rolling out the more "aggressive" upgrades in staggered waves, in order to prevent a large backlash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i'm going to install windows 9. it'll be like going to the 13th floor of an apartment building

• Locked thread