Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I bought a pro licence super cheap months ago as I know I will have to upgrade eventually.

Tried Win10 Home for free the week it came out on a 7 upgrade, had 2 major issues, one minor:

1) The automatic push updates when it feels like it is utterly, utterly loving retarded. I want to control when and what you update you fucks. I don't want MS deciding now is a good time to download a 100mb patch when I'm already downIoading, or in the middle of something. I want full control over my system resources. I fully understand why MS want this and why it is good for 95% of all users, but at least make it possible to selectively choose when and which updates are downloaded, even if it is super convoluted. I don't like having to gently caress around disabling services to stop updates alltogether, then the only way to get the updates I want at a later stage is at the macro level because windows will then download all previous updates once I re-enable the service(s), whether I want them or not.

1b) (Related to 1) It updated my Nvidia graphics driver to a broken version, and every time I rolled back manually, it helpfully updated them again. THis just made me go back to W7, remove all the Windows 10 notification stuff, and delete the Win10 files it had downloaded for the upgrade. Windows 10 hasn't bothered with any notifications about it's existance or upgrades since July 2015.

2) Minor, but I miss the aero interface. A lot of the time I have poo poo running in the back ground and working with a maximised window. I can see when the app behind changes through the title bar of the foreground app.

I will have to upgrade eventually just for DX12, but I won't be doing any sort of work on it anymore, even on a pro licence as deferred upgrades are not good enough.

Rutibex posted:

the enterprise edition of windows 10 has all of the spyware disabled for real (because they actually respect their business customers I guess). if you want to upgrade then i suggest you "obtain" a copy of that instead of getting their free upgrade

Oh yeah I didn't even think about that part...was too pissed off with it when I tried. Will acquire a copy from work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Meowbot posted:

I feel kind of bad about the part where I said people who dont upgrade to windows 10 and stay on windows 7 are idiots, I didnt mean to offend anyone with that post and I would edit it and delete it but I am a new man now and I don't delete mistakes I only fix mistakes like a real man not a coward.

so if you are on windows 7, you aren't an idiot ,but i strongly encourage you to upgrade to windows 10 if you want OTHERS to not consider you an idiot ... merely looking out for my fellow gons

I can see why you got fired from first line IT support.

• Locked thread