Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klimpy Borf
Oct 22, 2010

Jesus Christ! If she can't pull a beer without the entire glass being head, I ain't pulling the lever for her!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I don’t mention here that Hillary is flawed in some reflexive preemption of the accusation that I believe she’s above criticism. (I am keenly aware no amount of careful caveat can dissuade that urge.) I mention it because it is part of acknowledging the full scope of her humanity; because it is a rejection of the unreasonable standards of perfection to which she is held *farrrttt*

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

its her turn

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
*pulls lever*
*anvil falls on head*
:argh: REPUBLICANSSSSSSS

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

if the election came down to hillary v cruz though it'd be a close call between me voting hillary and me staying the gently caress home

Trump's tax "plan" will probably send us into the next great depression but I still can't be arsed to vote for Hillary.

But if some dark miracle made Cruz the nominee I suppose I'd suck it up and vote for her, maybe. Then again, how bad could nuclear annihilation really be?

Revenants Return
Mar 28, 2016

by Shine
Little noodle arms can't pukl

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Imma pullin muh lever!!

SHOOP DE WHOOOP!!

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Drink Cheerwine posted:

*pulls lever*
*anvil falls on head*
:argh: REPUBLICANSSSSSSS

Revenants Return
Mar 28, 2016

by Shine

Ork of Fiction posted:

Imma pullin muh lever!!

SHOOP DE WHOOOP!!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
*pulls lever*

"I don't like the way you pulled the lever!"

*kneels and pulls lever politely with pinky extended*

"My apologies, my queen"

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
I doubt Hillary will be good for the economy. She's beholden to the same financial interests that were responsible for the last crash. She's also very pro-foreign intervention, which is morally wrong under all but the most extreme circumstances but very expensive to boot. There's really no reason to believe she would be any better than a republican on the economy. Say what you will about Trump, but a big stupid useless wall is still less expensive and harmful to the human race than an occupation of Syria/northern Iraq. Trump on the other hand has no idea really what he's doing and would most likely be a lame duck president. Cruz is actually the worst case scenario here, he's a guy who wants to literally destroy the US government and is a totally immovable ideologue. Trump at least wants to make "deals" and won't be a totally regressive shitbag on social issues like PP, just a somewhat regressive shitbag.

Hope for Bernie, hope for Hillary to pull her head out of her rear end, or hope Trump runs in a circle and the parties (both of them) take the will of the electorate much more seriously next time instead of propping up the garbage system that produced Trump before one of the Kochs is straight up running for president with a self funded campaign based on "calling it what it is".

SlipUp fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Apr 8, 2016

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Hillary reminds me of george w bush.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

SlipUp posted:

I doubt Hillary will be good for the economy. She's beholden to the same financial interests that were responsible for the last crash. She's also very pro-foreign intervention, which is morally wrong under all but the most extreme circumstances but very expensive to boot. There's really no reason to believe she would be any better than a republican on the economy. Say what you will about Trump, but a big stupid useless wall is still less expensive and harmful to the human race than an occupation of Syria/northern Iraq. Trump on the other hand has no idea really what he's doing and would most likely be a lame duck president. Cruz is actually the worst case scenario here, he's a guy who wants to literally destroy the US government and is a totally immovable ideologue. Trump at least wants to make "deals" and won't be a totally regressive shitbag on social issues like PP, just a somewhat regressive shitbag.

Hope for Bernie, hope for Hillary to pull her head out of her rear end, or hope Trump runs in a circle and the parties (both of them) take the will of the electorate much more seriously next time instead of propping up the garbage system that produced Trump before one of the Kochs is straight up running for president with a self funded campaign based on "calling it what it is".

It's pretty funny how mad some people get when you point out that the person with a ton of financial ties to the moneyed elite who is basically campaigning on an obama 2.0 platform is probably going to result in at best the same shrinking middle class we've seen under obama. Like obviously I would never vote R over her but the level of loyalty people expect to a candidate who is obviously going to screw over anyone that's not in the upper echelons of society is beyond me. Real glad I live in a solidly blue state so I can vote third party or write weedlord bonerhitler because even if she is the lesser of two evils I'd feel downright dirty actually voting for her.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

ArbitraryC posted:

It's pretty funny how mad some people get when you point out that the person with a ton of financial ties to the moneyed elite who is basically campaigning on an obama 2.0 platform is probably going to result in at best the same shrinking middle class we've seen under obama. Like obviously I would never vote R over her but the level of loyalty people expect to a candidate who is obviously going to screw over anyone that's not in the upper echelons of society is beyond me. Real glad I live in a solidly blue state so I can vote third party or write weedlord bonerhitler because even if she is the lesser of two evils I'd feel downright dirty actually voting for her.

We like to criticize republicans all the time for treating politics like a team based sporting event where you wear your colours and support your team unquestioningly, but even centrists and leftists are guilty of this too.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

ArbitraryC posted:

why even vote? The US Democracy is a joke.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

SlipUp posted:

My President Trump nightmare scenario is that he tries to gain Reagan levels of immortality by actually being a Conservative Republican Superstar, despite the fact that the party has no problem trying to torpedo the poo poo out of him.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

ArbitraryC posted:

obviously I would never vote R

precisely the type of carefully thought out and well-reasoned opinions I would expect of highly educated engineer and somethingawful forum superstar arbitraryc

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I am such a pants-making GBS threads baby I lose control of my emotions and start screaming at the mere thought of a republican sitting in the white house so I'm going to vote for this loving retard who acts and sounds exactly like a republican yet to my mind she is different because she had the wisdom to run as a democrat, therefore securing my unquestioning, unwavering vote and support. Yeah i'm pretty much the living embodiment of everything wrong with this country, and a total fuckstain.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

drunk dog posted:

*doesnt exist*

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
the lever of the gallows trapdoor?

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Ork of Fiction posted:

My President Trump nightmare scenario is that he tries to gain Reagan levels of immortality by actually being a Conservative Republican Superstar, despite the fact that the party has no problem trying to torpedo the poo poo out of him.

I've said this once and I'll say it again. He is the new Reagan that republicans will slobber their dick over for the next 30 years.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I wish I was nutty enough to feel like a republican winning the presidency is an apocalyptic scenario and yet somehow hillary clinton winning the presidency is not also a part of that same apocalypse.

She is a loving conservative. She started campaigning for Barry Goldwater, and she worked with her husband to torpedo and gut everything a democrat ever stood for since FDR and the new deal.

I know liberals and democrats style themselves as intellectual but they are seriously loving retarded if they think hillary is even a marginal improvement over trump or cruz. her pandering rhetoric targets them instead evangelicals and retards who wear trucker hats, i guess.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i'm a retarded goddamn boomer and i'm hellbent on ruining the world once and for all so i will be voting for hillary

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Bill Clinton trending today telling black people what's important for them.

He wants to lock up 13 year olds?

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

hemophilia posted:

I wish I was nutty enough to feel like a republican winning the presidency is an apocalyptic scenario and yet somehow hillary clinton winning the presidency is not also a part of that same apocalypse.

She is a loving conservative. She started campaigning for Barry Goldwater, and she worked with her husband to torpedo and gut everything a democrat ever stood for since FDR and the new deal.

I know liberals and democrats style themselves as intellectual but they are seriously loving retarded if they think hillary is even a marginal improvement over trump or cruz. her pandering rhetoric targets them instead evangelicals and retards who wear trucker hats, i guess.

what's going to happen is that she will lose to Trump in a record low-turnout election and the Democratic party will react to that by blaming it on Bernie voters and completely purging anyone to the left of Reagan from the party

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

8-Bit Scholar posted:

He wants to lock up 13 year olds?

what you mean to say is "super predators that must be made to heel"

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

City of Tampa posted:

what's going to happen is that she will lose to Trump in a record low-turnout election and the Democratic party will react to that by blaming it on Bernie voters and completely purging anyone to the left of Reagan from the party

The first part is right, but the progressive base actually matters for the democratic party. This election is mobilizing that wing to useful effect a lot more than Obama did. If Hillary's center-right corporatist bullshit fails to bring dem voters to the booths, then centrists are going to get booted out of the party, just like they got their poo poo pushed in by the tea party when McCain and Romney failed to do a loving useful thing for republicans.

The key difference being, there is nothign wrong with a far-left government.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

Shaquin posted:

if no bern then trump gets my vote its that simple :)

This

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

City of Tampa posted:

im pretty sure that the democratic party wont matter once eternal president Trump is elected. they wont need to purge themselves, he will purge all of them

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

holy poo poo thats the most head hillarys ever given in her life.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

hemophilia posted:

The first part is right, but the progressive base actually matters for the democratic party. This election is mobilizing that wing to useful effect a lot more than Obama did. If Hillary's center-right corporatist bullshit fails to bring dem voters to the booths, then centrists are going to get booted out of the party, just like they got their poo poo pushed in by the tea party when McCain and Romney failed to do a loving useful thing for republicans.

The key difference being, there is nothign wrong with a far-left government.

I wish that I could believe this but almost the exact same situation happened in 2000 and the party still won't recognize that it wasn't Nader that lost that election for us, it was our terrible neoliberal candidate

and you can already see the direction that the party is moving now; the DNC dropped Obama's policy to not take money from lobbyists and PACs, and the primary frontrunner and overwhelming choice of the party establishment has already spoken out against universal healthcare, $15 minimum wage, real banking reform, etc. during the loving primary the progressive vote means poo poo to them. Their bread is buttered by people that hate the progressive vote, and they think that the fear of Republicans is all the appeal they need to make to progressives. and for the most part they have been right about that

we are going to watch the party take steps to make it impossible for another Bernie-style candidate to rise up again once Hillary loses, and the media will hammer on the message the unrealistic Bernie voters and their crazy quest for purity ended up getting Trump elected

edit:: neo liberal becomes n-word now?

City of Tampa fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 8, 2016

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

City of Tampa posted:

I wish that I could believe this but almost the exact same situation happened in 2000 and the party still won't recognize that it wasn't Nader that lost that election for us, it was our terrible neoliberal candidate

and you can already see the direction that the party is moving now; the DNC dropped Obama's policy to not take money from lobbyists and PACs, and the primary frontrunner and overwhelming choice of the party establishment has already spoken out against universal healthcare, $15 minimum wage, real banking reform, etc. during the loving primary the progressive vote means poo poo to them. Their bread is buttered by people that hate the progressive vote, and they think that the fear of Republicans is all the appeal they need to make to progressives. and for the most part they have been right about that

we are going to watch the party take steps to make it impossible for another Bernie-style candidate to rise up again once Hillary loses, and the media will hammer on the message the unrealistic Bernie voters and their crazy quest for purity ended up getting Trump elected

edit:: neo liberal becomes n-word now?

The differences are big though? Nader is wrongly blamed, yes, but he only pulled ~2.5% of the popular vote. He ran as a third party, which split the ticket. Bernie is running as a democrat and is almost certainly not running as a third party. Everything after the convention is on the shoulders of either candidate if they get the nomination.

The thing is, the progressive youth are behind bernie and I remember 2008- Obama just didn't do what Bernie is doing with the youth vote. He's got older people excited too. People who never dreamed of doing so before are being active in politics, and Bernie has signaled that his intentions if he doesn't get the nomination is to take the battle downticket, against establishment democrats. A 'berniecrat' is already challenging Debbie Wassermann-Schultz' seat this November. When Obama endorsed her, her challenger's campaign donations surged. She may actually lose her seat for working towards the so-called coronation of Clinton.

This stuff is already in motion. It happens with or without Bernie's nomination. It's going to be more effective, not less, if hillary loses. I sincerely hope Hillary loses if she is nominated because the opportunities to re-shape the democratic party as something more meaningful than "the lesser of two evils" is much greater if those poo poo-heels resisting this change- Clinton and her camp, and many centrist and center-right democrats, are fresh off the heels of a defeat that destroys their credibility.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Microwaves Mom posted:

holy poo poo thats the most head hillarys ever given in her life.

:xd: :xd:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

City of Tampa posted:

Here's my hot take: She squeaks in with no mandate and no Congress with the down ticket completely hosed by Berntard spite. That continues into the mid-term where she is even more hosed because Democrats don't turn out for mid-terms, especially when most of them are lukewarm on their prez.

Her whole 4 years as president are characterized by a I Love The 90's greatest hits of congress whacking her with every real or imagined scandal under the sun. Whitewater Travelgate Benghazi e-mailes is going to be the whole news cycle. They'll probably trot out the drat blue dress.

Then after her single term the GOP will run a young, decent looking guy who's already tacking to center in the form of Paul Ryan, and she will lose.

namaste, hail satan, etc

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Otisburg posted:

Here's my hot take: She squeaks in with no mandate and no Congress with the down ticket completely hosed by Berntard spite. That continues into the mid-term where she is even more hosed because Democrats don't turn out for mid-terms, especially when most of them are lukewarm on their prez.

Her whole 4 years as president are characterized by a I Love The 90's greatest hits of congress whacking her with every real or imagined scandal under the sun. Whitewater Travelgate Benghazi e-mailes is going to be the whole news cycle. They'll probably trot out the drat blue dress.

Then after her single term the GOP will run a young, decent looking guy who's already tacking to center in the form of Paul Ryan, and she will lose.

namaste, hail satan, etc

if hillary is nominated then Trump is going to be presedent

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Rutibex posted:

if hillary is nominated then Trump is going to be presedent

i think it's possible.

i won't vote against her.

but i don't have to vote for her, either.

*glides away in a very berntarded manner, leaving the train to crash*

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
*pulls lever*

There. More proof that I'm not racist.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

AugmentedVision posted:

precisely the type of carefully thought out and well-reasoned opinions I would expect of highly educated engineer and somethingawful forum superstar arbitraryc

I mean I agree she's a fiscal conservative not much better than most republican candidates on economic issues but that's not a reason to vote for a republican either? Plus the two republican front runners are pretty socially regressive, trump I think is more bark than bite about this but cruz would probably actually try to backslide on social stuff.

That's why I'm glad I do live in a solidly blue state because I can afford to "throw my vote away" without worrying if it means someone like cruz could win. I feel like it'd be a much harder choice if I lived in a swing state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
Obama has been a good president and I look forward to more of that.

• Locked thread