Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

I hate Suits. All of them.
Before you leave on your journey, child, I would bend your ears one last time. Remember your history.

Our ancestors dared to raise themselves as high as to face the very Gods themselves and, in their vainglory, bestowed great monuments of hubris upon our home. Though the Gods' wrath, the Sacred Beasts, laid waste to our foolish ancestors and dragged their empire, born from hundreds of generations' efforts, back down to the earth that held them, haunted memories of our past can still be seen even from atop the castle tower. Across the four corners of our world, the remnants of our ancestors' arrogance and punishment can be found.

Yet, for all the Gods' terrible wrath, Their mercy and forgiveness can still be found if we only look hard enough, without losing hold of the faith that has kept us alive all this time. The devastation that tore through this world was not all-consuming, nor was it a final judgment. There still exists pockets of our once-great home, lands of natural beauty and bounty spared the Gods' wrath so that we might learn from our ancestors' errors and walk away from the path that summoned such divine punishment. Even more, it was our once-great Empire alone that incurred its terrible fate; you must never forget the lesson that this world is not ours and ours alone.

With the fall of the Granblanche Empire at the destructive forces of the Sacred Beasts, the balance of the world was thrown out of order. As our majestic cities were consumed by overgrowth, it was the creatures of the wild whose power grew. The once-towering structures, proof of the Empire's progress and successful distance from the magic of the Gods, crumbled as Mana surged and overflowed throughout the lands. Even as those who could flee from that terrible storm left their homes behind, the power of the Sacred Beasts changed the world itself, turning metal back to stone and entire cities back to vast seas of grass. Within a single day, the Gods and their Sacred Beasts transformed the Empire back as though it had never progressed in the first place.

Though the path you walk is yours decreed by destiny, it is one steeped in dangers should recklessness take hold of you. We are not alone in this world, no matter how proudly our ancestors may have proclaimed such superiority over our neighbors. No longer do you bear the name and weight of might of the Granblanche Empire behind your ever action. Now, only the Kingdom of Haransei upholds your name, just as you uphold its honor with your every action and adventure into the world, young scion. Take care of those who come to your aid and treat those who stand against you nobly, and with the dignity you must bear on your shoulders.

Still...I have faith in you, young lord. Your star is burning bright and the heavens themselves have proclaimed your destiny. Hold onto your conviction, whatever it may be, and lead the hope of your Kingdom towards a future you envision with your own eyes. Regardless of your fate, remember this:

We will always be proud of you.

---

People who were expecting the parallel of ZeeTwo's Fire Emblem Strike! campaign, this is the right thread. I just decided to go a little less Fire Emblem and a little more towards Suikoden and the Seiken Densetsu series(es). This is still a Strike! play-by-post game with 4-5 players, making use of roll20 and SA to capture different aspects of the gameplay. You can expect differing degrees of exploration, discovery, negotiation and escalations depending on your decisions in-game, as this leans more towards Suikoden's quasi-open world than Fire Emblem's linear structure.

The game takes place starting in the Kingdom of Haransei, the small, but secure human-owned territory affectionately nicknamed the Kingdom of Troubles by its people. The PCs will consist of at least one Prince/ss of Haransei (PC #1), a member of the Imperial Family, whose rule has existed since the first King, Reggie the Ready, lead his fleeing people out of their crumbling cities during the Scouring. The Prince/ss of Haransei has been prophecized by the Great Seer Annankos to embark on a quest in order to deliver the Kingdom of Haransei from its plight to a new future.

Accompanying the Prince/ss of Haransei are 3-4 (PCs)individuals of various backgrounds and responsibilities. They can be bodyguards and retainers, childhood friends of noble or meager birth, foreigners whose aid have been obtained through coin or prophecy; the options are endless and unconstrained. Regardless of their backgrounds, these 3-4 individuals are joined to the Prince/ss of Haransei for their quest, with the Great Seer Annankos' guarantee that the stars of their destinies are burning brightly.

Information has been kept intentionally vague for the most part, so people can create whatever sort of history and backstories they want with their applications. Just for reference, the Scouring, the event where the 8 Sacred Beasts unleashed devastation upon the Empire and various other locations in the world, took place roughly 10-15 generations back from present day, or ~250-300 years, give or take.

I'll take apps (and you can make multiple) for probably 1-2 weeks, so I have time to get the adventures and world set up. If you have any questions, you can ask here, or hit me up on IM. Hitting up ZeeToo is also acceptable, but be gentle.

Velyoukai fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Here we go it's a samurai again.

Tsubaki of the Flower Blade
Theme

In the eastern province of Izumi, there was a samurai. The samurai had two disciples, a man and a woman. The woman was hardly what you'd think of a noble warrior being. She was brash, she was outspoken, sarcastic. But she was good, and kept to her code. The man was of an ideal temperament, but underhanded and cunning. The woman was the favored disciple and was next in line to become the master. This angered the man, who came up with a plot. He would kill the master, blame it on the woman, and become the master himself. The woman caught him in the act, but she was too late to save her master. Striking the man down, then fearing that she would become a wanted criminal, the woman fled the province, taking the only memento of her master: a sword decorated with flower petal patterns.

She found herself in a field of camellias, and decided to discard her name and identity, taking on the pseudonym of Tsubaki, under which she wandered the nation, making ends meet day by day until she came to the notice of Haransei court and was hired as a retainer to the king. The job doesn't exactly suit her, but easy money is easy money.

quote:

Background: Nameless Samurai
Origin: Wandering Warrior

Skills: Swordplay, Bushido, Tactics, Izumi Warriors (Contacts), Rituals, Lay of the Land, Camping, Origami

Complications: Reputation Precedes Her, Always A Frank Speaker

Wealth: Poor (1)

Trick:
It's Time To Duel!: A samurai can always ambush a lone enemy
Rivalries Are Born Over Drinks!: A traveler always knows where the nearest tavern is.

Gear: Flower Blade, Traveling Supplies, Walking Stick

Tactical aspects open to change depending on party makeup posted:

Class: Duelist
Role: Striker

You're Mine! (Encounter, Free Action)
Target one creature within 10 squares. Until the end of the encounter, when you attack the target, any 2s on your dice are treated as though they were 4s (6s at level 5).
Special: This power recharges when its target is Taken Out.

And How About You?! (At-Will)
Make a Basic Attack against a creature. Then change the target of Duel to that creature.
Clarification: If you make this attack multiple times at once (for instance, as a Blaster), you may choose which target to change your Duel to after resolving the attacks. You may only ever have one target of Duel.

Find an opening: When you attack the target of your Duel, you may spend any number of points of its Focus. If you hit, increase your damage by one per point spent.

Over Here! (At-Will)
Effect: Target takes 1 point of Focus if it’s the target of your Duel.

I've Got Your Number! (At-Will)
Effect: Target is Vulnerable 1 to all damage with you as the source until the end of the encounter. Applying this effect more than once is not cumulative.

It's Just You And Me! (Encounter)
Effect: 3 damage if neither you nor the target have any other creatures adjacent.

Damage Boost: When you roll a 2 to 5 on an attack, deal 1 extra damage to the target. When you roll a 6, deal 2 extra damage instead.

Gotta Be Quicker Than That! (At-Will)
You may shift 1 square. (2 squares at level 8.)

I Don't Think So! (Encounter, Reaction)
Trigger: An enemy hits you with an attack. Spend an Action Point. Make an attack against the triggering enemy.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 14, 2016

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

I intend to rework Ladon, and app for this too.

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

#everydaysgreatatyourjunes is (legitimately) the channel for this game, for anybody interested.

Daraken
Oct 9, 2007

Maybe tomorrow, I'll find a home.
Shou Igawa, Ninja Mercenary

Infamous mercenaries and professional spies, the shadowy ninja of Haransei are a force to be reckoned with in the kingdom's underworld, where their services are always in great demand. Though there are but a handful of clans, their centuries of history and reputation as ancient secret-keepers has left them a certain mystical prestige and level of respect with the rest of the kingdom. One of the foremost among their number are the Igawa, a secretive clan known in particular for their skills in espionage and stealth, their clansmen preferring guile and delicacy in their work rather than more direct methods.

At first glance, Shou would seem to be at odds to that stereotype. Brash and cocky, coupled with an aggressive attitude and propensity for combat, the young ninja presents the completely opposite picture of his Igawa brethren. Which in a strange way, only builds yet another layer of the deception the clan is famed for. Shou in fact was a rather prodigious student, picking up his lessons quickly even while letting out numerous complaints about how needlessly complicated everything was. Despite his distaste for subtlety, the dark haired ninja recognized how vital those skills are, making the best efforts to master them before moving onto more entertaining prospects like combat training. While this has left him an odd reputation among his family members, Shou remains a competent if unconventional ninja.

For a group that prides itself in information gathering, its no surprise that the Igawa were aware of the Great Seer's prophecy almost as soon as she made it. Though that knowledge had less to do with their skills, and more so with the old favors Annankos has called in from the Igawa to support the Royal Heir in their quest. For the customarily cautious Igawa though, prudence as always comes first. Better to send that oddball combat junkie as their representative and to fulfill their obligations instead of another clansman who probably had something more important to do. If it all turned out to be a fool's errand, well then no big loss there eh?

Character Sheet posted:

Background: Covert Agent
Origin: Igawa Clan Ninja
Wealth: Poor [1]

Complications
Divided Loyalties
Sucker for a Pretty Face

Skills
Close Combat, Observation, Lockpicking, Deception, Sleight of Hand, Spy Network (Connections), Stealth, Weapon Throwing

Tricks
Eagle Eyed: Can always catch attempts at physical deception
Hell of a Shot: Can always hit a target in a non-combat situation

Motivation: Following his duty to the clan, while seeking a bit of excitement and fun

Gear: Lockpicks, Daggers, Chain Sickle, Plain Katana

Relationships:

Kit: The Spy (Charmed)

Class: Martial Artist (Chain Sickle: Weeping Willow Style, Katana: Tempest Style, Dual Daggers: Flickering Flame Style, Focused Attack)
Role: Striker (Damage Boost, Mobility Boost: Quick Shift, Strike Back)
Feat: Slippery

Daraken fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 14, 2016

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Mr. Franc Reale, of the Eight-Ways Trade League, Duelist/Controller

Of course money makes the world go round! Where there is money, there are societies to back it, there are people to spend it, goods to use it on. Where there's money, there's civilization! And, my, the Sacred Beasts have certainly made a mess of that, haven't they?

That's why the Eight-Ways Trade League is happy to support the government of Haransei in its current undertaking. We've made all the arrangements to provide monetary, personnel, and logistical support for the expedition. I've even offered up a particular piece of Relic-Tech for our immediate use! It took us fifteen years and much digging to get this old marvel to a running state, but oh, what a boon it has been for our operations! Of course, we of the Eight-Ways Trade League are well aware that this journey has been granted by Great Seer Annankos themselves, but of course gods and men alike favor the prepared. And we are very well prepared. All we ask for in return for our meagre rations and paltry excuse for a royal carriage is...oh...say...an Eight-Ways Trade League representative--ordinarily I'd suggest my father, Doge Reale, but he has sadly taken ill, so I shall have to go instead, pooh pooh!--and, ah, primary access to any and all Relic-Tech found on the way to our final destination?

Do we actually have a final destination? I, uh, kind of hired the deck hands off of the streets with promises of milk and honey...

quote:

Origin: Merchant Prince
Background: Slightly Roguish Expedition Backer

Trick: Keep Me Informed (B)
Being the expedition backer, Franc is at least vaguely aware of developing problems, with varying levels of patch jobs, hack jobs, or actual fixes for them

Trick: Money Talks (O)
A flash of cash, and Franc can make the most recalcitrant subject sing anything he'd like

Skills
(B) Connections: Trader Buddies
(B) Shady Dealings
(B) Rapier Pointy Bits
(B) Motivational Yelling
(O) Junk Appraisal
(O) Relic-Tech Assessment
(P) Rapier Pointy Wit
Wealth: Wealthy (2)

Kit: The Boss
A handful of people follow you and help you. They have some useful Skills. Pick 2 appropriate Skills for them. They also are Flawed. Pick 1 Flaw for them. It has to be a real solid Flaw, though. The other players will tell you if it’s lame. At the start of each adventure, roll a die. On a 6, Profit and a Bonus. On a 5, Profit. On a 4, Profit and Dissent. On a 2-3, Twist. On a 1, Dissent and Twist.
Skills: Eyes and Ears, Crowd Control Flaw: Promised Riches (implies there'll be mutinies if none appear, or not personally loyal to Franc)

Advance: Captain
You are the captain of a ship or fleet. Perhaps a sailing ship, airship, land ship, or space ship. For a fleet, perhaps a biker gang, fighter squadron, or kayak raiders. You get to make rolls for your ship or fleet.

LCAC Hoverune, Huge, Well-Armed; Vulnerable Important Bits

Complication
(B) Beholden to clients, lords, and investors
(O) What do you mean "money DOESN'T make the world go round"?!

Gear
Rapier + Throwing/Smoking Pipe
Sack of Money
Letter of Retainment for the Royalty

Relationships:
None yet

Motivations
--

--------

Class: The Duelist

Duel (Encounter, Free Action)
Target one creature within 10 squares. Until the end of the encounter, when you attack the target, any 2s on your dice are treated as though they were 4s (6s at level 5).
Special: This power recharges when its target is Taken Out.

Change Target (At-Will)
Make a Basic Attack against a creature. Then change the target of Duel to that creature.

Whenever you start your turn, the target of your Duel takes one Focus. This represents that it needs to focus its attention on you and the need increases over time. When you start your turn, for each point of Focus the enemy has, pick one effect from the list below. It has all the Statuses you chose until the end of its next turn.
• Harried.
• Cannot benefit from positive effects from its allies’ powers.
• Cannot take advantage of Opportunities.
• Cannot benefit from positive effects from its own powers.
• Cannot use Interrupts or Reactions.
The target may ignore your “Cannots” but it grants you an Opportunity if it does.

Throw off their aim POUCH JUNK: When the target of your Duel hits your ally with an attack, you may spend any number of points of its Focus to reduce the damage by one per point spent.

Get Over Here (At-Will, Ranged 5, Roll Required, 2 damage)
Effect: Target is pulled to an adjacent square.

Demand Attention (At-Will Melee or Ranged 5, Roll Required, 2 damage)
Effect: Target takes 1 point of Focus if it’s the target of your Duel.

Ain’t No One Else Around Catch Me Fighting Dirty (Encounter, Melee, Roll Required, 3 damage)
Effect: 3 damage if neither you nor the target have any other creatures adjacent.

Role: The Controller
Control Boost: When you roll a 3 to 6 on an attack, you may choose to either Slow the target until the end of its next turn, or to slide the target 3 squares.

Sap Strength (At-Will, ranged 5)
Target is Weakened until the end of its next turn.

Assess (At-Will)
Roll a die and ask the GM that many questions from the lists below.
About an enemy:
• How many Hit Points does it have?
• How would you summarize its powers?
• What are its special traits?
• Is it carrying anything strange or unique?
About the encounter:
• Who is really in charge?
• What can I use against the enemies?
• What can they use against me?
• Are there hidden doors or traps?
• Are there hidden enemies?

Feat: Minor Leader
Once per encounter, you may slide an ally 3 squares as a Free Action. Additionally, once per encounter you may spend your Role Action to allow you or an ally to regain 2 HP (increase this to 3 HP at level 4 and 4 HP at level 8).

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 29, 2016

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

Aelita TreBona

Whether it be saving kingdoms from encroaching armies or raising small peasants to champions of their people. The life of a wizard is never simple. Ever since the Scorching the Wizard’s Guild has been working tirelessly to try and restore the balance. Thanks to the destruction wrought by the calamity the wizards have had their numbers stretched to the point of breaking. This is led them to induct members from various magical traditions instead of the uniformity they once demanded. Overall they've made great strides.

Aelita is one of the newest wizards brought up to continue the work of the generations beforehand. As the daughter of a humble merchant, Aelita always had a book in hand was looking to find new ways to help the family business. Upon reading the instructions of an ancient tome, Aelita bound herself to the elements of nature. Through the pulling of strings she was able to join the wizards guild and at least get an understanding of how her powers work. Unfortunately, in addition to her dues to the Guild, Aelita is also driven by an unknown force. This mysterious backing is what led her to being introduced to the royal family of Haransei.The prophecy of the great seer brings great fear to the wizards, the Kingdom of Haransei Has long held a fear of the guilt. Aelita has become the first wizard to be accepted into the royal court. Aelita herself is unsure of what to make of her induction. Her history as a merchant has taught her one thing though, always follow a transfer deal because you never know how it will turn out.

quote:

Background: Court Wizard
Origin: Nomadic Merchant
Skills: Potion-Making, Wizard Guild (Contacts), Conjuration,Haggling, Geography, Ancient Lore, Court Etiquette
Wealth: Rich (2)
Trick:
Overwhelming Power:The Court wizard can always impress noble with mystic prowess.
Merchant's Eye: Can always detect someone trying to petal false or counterfeit goods.
Gear: Wizard Staff, Herb Collecting Kit, Fancy Clothes, Set of Currency.
Complication:
  • Miserly
  • Barely Contained Power: The elemental energy within Aelita is poorly restrained and strong emotional reactions can create uncontrolled flair ups
Kit: Sorcerer(Conjuration, Geography, Potion-Making)
  1. Basic Advance: Three of your trained Skills that represent using magic to some specific end, such as attack, travel, or information gathering. These are your Sorcerous Skills, and can be enhanced by Power Tokens. Spend one Power Token to give yourself Advantage on a Sorcerous Skill Check, or to fuel an appropriate Trick. If you choose, the results can’t be undone by mundane means. When you replenish or prepare your sorcery by whatever means you establish when you take the Kit, reset your Power Tokens to 2. If you draw on an appropriate place of power to do so, reset your Power Tokens to 3
  2. Sorcerous Backing: The Elementals

Tactical Aspects Can Change posted:

Class: Martial Artist
Role: Blaster

Class Powers
Winds of the Sylphs(Weeping Willow Style)
Breath of the Undines(Tempest Style)
Salamander's Rage(Scorpion Style)
Focused Attack

Role Powers
Multitarget Boost
Precision Boost
Consistent Attack
Feat: Long Reach

Note: this is my first Strike! App does everything look ok?

JesterOfAmerica fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 14, 2016

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Keiji, Demon-Possessed Swordsman

Keiji was not born special. He was not a noble, not a warrior, not even a merchant. No, he was a peasant, and by his early teens he was spending his days much the same as anyone else in his village: helping grow and harvest rice. For five years, he was just another farmer, leading a rough but largely uneventful life. He grew up healthy and strong, but not especially remarkable.

All that changed the day his nameless little village burned to the ground. Two petty lords were fighting, and their armies clashed in the tiny farming village. The villagers ran in panic as arrows shadowed the land and magic scorched the earth. When the soldiers charged in, they attacked both enemy soldiers and any peasants who got in their way. It was a bloodbath, and when it was over, all that remained were a few ruined buildings and countless corpses - and amid it all, one terrified young man. Keiji had hidden in a shack when the fighting started, one that the soldiers had miraculously left alone.

But though Keiji had survived, a part of him had died. Everyone he'd known, his family and friends, had all been slain. And it's well-established that when part of the soul dies, a demon will sometimes take its place. So when the scavengers came by, looking to loot the bodies, they found a single young man, crushed by grief and blind with supernatural rage, and their corpses joined those already littering the village. When Keiji came too, he had only a vague recollection of what he'd done, but he recalled enough to know what had happened. But where others would have given in and relinquished control, Keiji refused. Instead, he grabbed a sword from one of the soldiers, picked a direction, and started walking.

The ten years since have been... eventful for Keiji. With the inhuman strength and endurance he gained from his possessor, he was a natural fit for a martial career. He began hiring himself out as a mercenary, and survived long enough to develop both real skill and a fearsome reputation. He also learned to keep the demon mostly suppressed, but it does come out in force when he lets down his guard. These days, there are few who don't know of the demonic swordsman-for-hire, possessed of terrible strength and a deadly temper. It's not the life he would have wanted for himself, but he's found success and carved out a fair niche for himself.

Recently, he was approached by a representative of the royal family. The Seer Annankos has foretold that Keiji's strength and skill would be needed to save Haransei and ensure its future security. The seer has also hinted that through this quest, he might find a way to banish the demon and free himself from its influence. That news - the notion that he might finally be free - was too much for him to turn down. So he took up his sword, preparing himself for one last job.

pre:
Name: Keiji
Class: Necromancer
Role: Blaster
Background: Demon-Possessed Swordsman
Origin: Peasant Farmer
Resources: Penniless [0]
Kit: Brute
Fallback: At level 2.

Class Abilities
Mark of Death: The first time you hit each non-Stooge enemy with an attack and 
deal damage, reduce the damage you deal by one and give it the Mark of Death. 
When a creature with your Mark of Death is Taken Out, you gain the benefit of 
your Gift.
Lesser Gift of Terror: When a creature with your Mark of Death is Taken Out, 
each enemy within 3 squares of it and each other creature with your Mark of 
Death takes 1 damage and must make a Saving Throw. If they fail, they are 
Distracted until the end of their next turn.
Multitarget Boost: If you attack with a power with range X, you may instead make 
it a Burst 1 centered within X targeting all creatures in the zone. This still 
grants Opportunities as though it was range X. If it is a melee attack, you may 
make it a Burst 1 targeting all creatures in the zone. You may move the center 
of the zone one square for each square of reach you have.
If you forgo the option to make your power a zone, you get the following benefit 
instead: When you roll a 3 or 4 on a ranged or melee attack, deal 2 damage to 
one additional target within range. When you roll a 5 or 6 on a ranged or melee 
attack, deal either the power’s effect or 2 damage to one additional target 
within range. 
You never hit yourself with Burst attacks even though you are often in their 
zone.  When a creature is included in the same effect multiple times from the 
same power, it only suffers once.
Blasters using Melee attacks may use their existing squares of movement during 
the resolution of the attack to acquire new targets using their Multitarget 
Boost when they forgo the option to make their power a zone.
When making a Burst attack, only the first attack roll may generate a Strike or 
lead to a Miss Trigger. Because of this, when attacking different kinds of 
enemies (e.g. two Elites and a Stooge) you must roll the attack against the most 
powerful first.
Terrain Boost: Gain the Terrain power.

Feats
Nothing Fazes You: Make Saving Throws to end Statuses at the start of your turn 
instead of the end.  When subject to Forced Movement, reduce its distance by 1.  
When Slowed, your speed is 3 instead of 2.  When an enemy knocks you Prone, roll 
a Saving Throw to try to stay upright.

Skills
Swordsmanship
Bargaining
Fellow Mercenaries [Connections]
Self-Control
Intimidation
Physical Destruction
Farming
Endurance
Overwhelming Aura

Tricks
Demonic Might: By channeling the demon's power, you can autmatically succeed at 
any test of raw strength, provided it doesn't require any delicacy or precision.
Impressive Reputation: You can be assured that anyone who might have heard of 
you, has.

Complications
Demonic Rage: When the demon within breaks free, its boundless rage is 
terrifying to behold.
Lowest of the Low: You come from the bottom rung of society, and it shows.

Stuff
Katana
Simple traveling clothes

Kit Abilities
Base Advance: You are a paragon of physical accomplishment. When you roll a 
Twist on a task of athleticism, speed, strength, or appetite, you may gain the 
Winded Condition to re-roll.

Break Stuff: When you smash something, roll an appropriate Skill.  On a Success 
with a Bonus, pick two. On a Success, pick one:
• You can fix it later.
• Nobody can fix it ever.
• You break it in eerie silence.
• You smash it in a fearsome rage, terrifying onlookers.
On a Twist, you just break it. It’s not quiet, but not too frightening.  
Somebody might fix it later, but you don’t have what you need for that right 
now.
With a Cost, pick one:
• You are Winded.
• You break something else in your haste. The GM will give a Flaw to a nearby object.

Powers
Corrupted Wound [Deadly Poison] (At-Will); Melee or Ranged 5; 2 Damage
Effect: 1 Ongoing Damage and the target cannot regain Hit Points (save ends).

Terrifying Visage (At-Will); Melee; 2 Damage
Effect: Target must use its Move Action on its turn to move its speed away from 
you or take 3 damage.

Demon Link [Command Undead] (Encounter); Ranged 10
Special: May only target demons.
The target makes a Saving Throw.  If it fails, it is Dominated until the end of 
the encounter.

Life Drain (Encounter); Melee; 2 Damage
Effect: 2 damage and regain 3 Hit Points.

Terrain (Role At-Will)
Pick one of the following three options, centered within range 5:
• Choose a 3x3 area (5x5 at level 4). The affected zone becomes Difficult 
Terrain until the end of the encounter. You may optionally remove any Low Cover 
in the area.
• Choose a 3x3 area (5x5 at level 4). It becomes obscured until the end of your 
next turn.
• Choose one square. It becomes Low Cover.

Action Trigger: No One Escapes My Blade [Consistent Attack] (Encounter Interrupt)
Trigger: You miss an enemy with an attack.
Spend an Action Point. Apply 2 damage and the attack’s Effect to another enemy in range.

5-Headed Snake God fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 19, 2016

Psiwri
Mar 8, 2012

"The Foecast today calls for dark clouds, booming thunder and F.O.E.s everywhere!"

Myga, spawn of a Beast.

Humans... interesting! Live in tiny buildings far downhill from home of walls and stone. Sometimes fight Garuda, they tell me where the humans lived with the black mist, wanted to know more. Left to see, did not hide well. Got hunting down and beaten... placed in cage, mist was no good for escaping! Taken many leagues across land to unknown place... hear word 'capital' along the way. What will happen to me?

---

Myga is from an unusual group of creatures that are the product of Garuda eggs coming into contact with human spirits prior to hatching. This happened in an abandoned castle-town from the past perched atop a high rise of rock. While they look mostly human, they all have black feathers covering portions of their bodies that emit a black colored mist; a multi-purpose substance the same as the Garuda birds have. This mist can be used to communicate sensory information between others that use it, or even be transformed into wings for flight, and such other things. (This is being flavored into Myga's at-will and encounter abilities.) Getting captured and taken to the capital after getting too close to a human village out of pure curiosity, whatever happened there likely lead to involvement of some nature with the Prince/ss.

Character intent is to provide a different, perhaps even inhuman perspective to some things, as well as explore topics like identity in this crazy world.

quote:

Class: Rogue (Poisoner)
-Encounter:
Mind-Altering Poison
Evasion
-At Will:
Hasten
Disengage
Trap

Role: Defender
Defense Boost
Stickiness Boost
-Encounter
You call that a punch? (Action Trigger)

Kit: Collector (of shiny objects)
I Have One Somewhere
Sixth Sense

Skills:
Investigation
Stealth
Foraging
Tracking
Stealing
Singing
Mist-Use
Flight
Keen Sight

Tricks:
When I am set on pursuing something I can not be distracted.
Mistcommunication; Myga can communicate with other creatures through her mist.

Complications:
Seen as a Monster
Clueless about the World

Feat: Flying
Can gain the Flying Status as a Free action, but can only use basic attacks while in flight.

Wealth: What's that?

---------Documentation line---------

Background: Curiosity Chaser
Investigation
Foraging
Singing
Stealth
Tracking
Stealing

-Trick: When I am set on pursuing something I can not be distracted.

Origin: Spirit Shell Hatchling
Mist-Use
Flight
Complication: Seen as a Monster

Personalize: Birdbrain
Skill: Keen Sight
Trick: Mistcommunication; Myga can communicate with other creatures through her mist.
Complication: Clueless about the World

Psiwri fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 14, 2016

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Karma, Cold Keeper of Peace

It was with great honour that Karma accepted the request to aid the one prophesied to deliver the Kingdom of Troubles from its plight. Surely, she believed, it was the start of the next lesson in a life characterized by learning, by the neverending struggle towards the ideal. For her, the struggle began in an unknown, frozen monastery, the first lesson being the name she was given: “You are the sum of your actions.” Knowing neither birth name nor birth family, Karma was all she had as the masters of the monastery raised, taught and ultimately pushed her toward the ideal. Her next struggle came in the form of abandonment, as they blocked out her senses, journeyed to the center of the crowded market town of Ichimura and left her there, still a child. Independence. That was what she had learned as she survived--molding sculptures of ice with magic and tending a shop for an aging couple--but in turn she also learned of the next struggle: Freedom.

That struggle reached its head when she found herself bound and tied by a rather unsavory lot, stolen away during one of her morning walks. Filled with an overwhelming uncertainty about her life, its meaning, her actions and their potential to be more, she continued to contemplate rather than prevent them from knocking her out. Even as she regained consciousness from within their base--as they roared and howled and celebrated over their plans to sell her away--she continued to quietly contemplate her life and course of action. From all she had learned back at the monastery she could have prevented them from knocking her out and could still prevent them from selling her. But, why? Why did they need gold? Why should she stop them from obtaining it? Would they not more than inconvenience somebody else to get it, should she escape? Did they pose any real threat to her if she did not escape? Might they hold a grudge if she did? Could they not harm those around her or steal directly from the shop she tended? Would it, then, not be best to crush them completely and with finality?

As she pondered, weighed and measured the value of her captor’s lives against what the act of killing them might say of her own a door burst open and the town guard rushed in, ending her uncertainty and replacing a ceaseless stream of questions with but a single one. After the guard’s rather one-sided beatdown of her by-this-point inebriated captors was finished she casually stood and voiced aloud her remaining question, undoing the poorly tied rope that had bound her, “How does one go about becoming a guard?” In response the man who would one day become her captain merely ruffled her hair and told her that the first step was growing up safely.

As the years passed and she grew, safely, she went on to become a guard. Still more years and the old couple that had taken her in had passed as well, peacefully of old age. More years and her former captain retired to the coast, to become a captain of another sort after passing the position down to her. Throughout those passings there were many struggles and many lessons, instilling in her a sense of self, confidence, the ability to act swiftly and, greatest of all, a purpose. From her former captain the greatest of lessons had been “Contemplate your actions after you’ve acted.” Initially she had thought such a mantra to be reckless and totally against all that had been drilled into her as a child and yet today she holds it as dear as her name--rather than acting without thought at all, which would be reckless, it is contemplating deeply between actions such that little by little your actions instinctively move closer to ideal. Surely that was but one of the lessons she had been brought outside of the monastery to learn.

Having great faith in the one she chose to succeed her as captain she departed for the capital ready for her next struggles and her next lessons.

pre:
Name: Karma
Background: Cold Keeper of Peace
Origin: Frozen Monk
Resources: Penniless[0]
Kit: Spellbreaker Mini-Kit

Skills

Icecraft (B)
Spirits of the Land(Connections)
Observation
Investigation
Coercion
Martial Arts
Ice Magic (O)
Self-Control
Knowledge of Fauna (P)

Complications

Frozen Monk [Overly Pensive]

While usually not slow to act, she is very slow to respond when pressed for explanation or when asked 
to judge the actions of others. When such things are expected with any amount of expediency she 
is forever at a loss to meet expectations, preferring awkward silence to haste. As such, she can be slow 
to speak her mind on new situations and often finds her words several steps behind her actions. On 
the other hand, she can speak very passionately about the things she has already spent time reflecting on.

Personal [Wary of Modernity]

Perhaps it is her upbringing or perhaps it is the bias presented by the spirits she communes with 
or something else entirely, but again and again she has found herself unable to trust modernisation of 
any form, be it recovered relics or new developments seeking to imitate or, worse, move beyond the 
peak of the fallen empire. Though woe be to anyone expecting an explanation for her position, as to 
her that is a question of a lifetime that she may spend the rest of her life trying to answer.

Tricks

Cold Keeper of Peace [Ice Armoury]: Always succeed in using Icecraft to create basic weapons 
of ice when equipping a small (1-5) force.

Personal [Inner Peace]: No matter how tense the situation or how tempting a certain course 
of action might be, a Frozen Monk is always able to keep calm and get things done.

Kit: Spellbreaker

The entirety of this kit does not apply within Tactical Combat, only outside of it. 

Advance: Mana Freeze (Spellbreak) Using her own Ice Magic, Karma can momentarily block 
the flow of mana so long as she can touch the person or object trying to cast. Repeated applications 
can render casting impossible for longer.

Advance: Frozen Resistance (Resist Spells) Spells have a reduced effect on Karma and she 
can break their effects with a touch.

Cold Keeper of Peace 

As Captain of the Guard Karma’s guiding principle is to act in the best interest of both the land 
and its people. To that end she both communes with the spirits of the land and actively patrols the 
town, keeping in touch with the community. The ice sculptures of her childhood have evolved into an 
ice armoury, allowing her to equip her men at a moment’s notice so that they may patrol unarmed, 
giving the town a peaceful visage. She is confident that her protege will continue protecting the town 
in her absence, showing a warm kindness in peace and a harsh coldness in turmoil.

Frozen Monk

While living in a town of merchants inspired her childish mind to use her abilities for art, originally 
she had been drilled in the use of offensive ice magic. To this day she knows neither the name nor 
the location of the monastery home to her first memories, but she holds all that it gave her dear to 
her heart and maintains the discipline and self-control she was taught.

Knowledge of Fauna

In order to keep her town safe she has devoted herself to the study of the world’s wildlife, both to
keep her town from overly or unduly threatening it and it from threatening her town.

pre:
Class Powers [Martial Artist]

Ice Shield (Stone Wall Style) Stance, Free Action
While you are in this stance, add the following effect to all your 
melee attacks: Target has Disadvantage to attack you with melee attacks on its next turn.

While you are in this stance, each turn you may pick a cardinal or intercardinal direction (e.g. North 
or Southwest). Until the start of your next turn you Resist 1 against ranged attacks in that half-plane. i.e. 
if you pick East, you resist damage against any ranged attacks coming from anywhere to the right of 
you. Even if the enemy is 1 square East and 10 squares North, it is still to your East and you Resist 1.

Clasping Cold (Python Style) Stance, Free Action
While you are in this stance, add the following effect to all your melee attacks: Grab the target.

While you are in this stance, if an attack misses you while you have an enemy Grabbed, the 
Grabbed enemy takes 2 damage.

Frozen Weapon (Weeping Willow Style) Stance, Free Action
While you are in this stance, add the following effect to all your melee attacks: Slide target 2 squares.

While you are in this stance, you have Reach 2.

Momentary Enlightenment (Focused Attack) Encounter, Free Action
On your next attack, treat your stances as though they were one tier higher for the effect and add one 
to the damage line of the attack. Until the start of your next turn, treat all your stances as though 
they were one tier higher for the passive effect.

Role Powers [Blaster]

Multitarget Boost Passive
If you attack with a power with range X, you may instead make it a Burst 1 centered within X 
targeting all creatures in the zone. This still grants Opportunities as though it was range X. If it is a 
melee attack, you may make it a Burst 1 targeting all creatures in the zone. You may move the center 
of the zone one square for each square of reach you have. 

If you forgo the option to make your power a zone, you get the following benefit instead: When you roll 
a 3 or 4 on a ranged or melee attack, deal 2 damage to one additional target within range. When you roll 
a 5 or 6 on a ranged or melee attack, deal either the power’s effect or 2 damage to one additional 
target within range.

Terrain Boost At-Will, Role Action
Pick one of the following three options, centered within range 5:
• Choose a 3x3 area (5x5 at level 4). The affected zone becomes
Difficult Terrain until the end of the encounter. You
may optionally remove any Low Cover in the area. (At level
8, your allies ignore this Difficult Terrain.)
• Choose a 3x3 area (5x5 at level 4). It becomes obscured (see
page 94) until the end of your next turn. (At level 8, your
allies ignore this obscuring.)
• Choose one square. It becomes Low Cover (Full Cover at
level 4). (At level 8, pick two squares within range.)

Consistent Attack Encounter, Interrupt
Trigger: You miss an enemy with an attack.

Spend an Action Point. Apply 2 damage and the attack’s Effect to
another enemy in range.

Feats

Beam Blaster When making a Burst 1 attack, you may instead make a “beam” attack 5 
squares long. A beam starts in an adjacent square and follows the same rules as a push: each square 
must be further away from you than the last. At level 4 when you can widen the zone to 4x4, you 
may widen your beam by 1 square. At level 8, when making a Burst 2 attack, you may widen your 
beam twice. Widening your beam means making it one square thicker in an intuitive way. For 
instance, you could make a normal 5-square beam attack due East and then add a square one to the 
North of each square in the beam to wind up with a 2x5 rectangle.

Decus fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 12, 2016

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Luisella Clarkson, explorer and cartographer extraordinaire

When it set out, it was called the Royal Expedition to Seek New Vistas. It was an attempt for the people of Haransei to explore further and find more about the wilds beyond their kingdom than they had been in the last century.

Far to the south-east the company traveled. Many of the party, including the leaders, eventually fell prey to the challenges they faced. Instead, it was up to one of the specialists they had brought along to step up and help the others pull through. Weeks behind schedule, the bedraggled group finally made their way back to familiar ground... but with packs full of precious maps and notes that detailed the challenges and threats they'd overcome.

What can be done once, can be done again more easily with more knowledge and preparation.

New opportunities have opened up, and "the Luisella Clarkson expedition" has catapulted a previously unremarkable woman to new opportunities to meet with royalty.

quote:

Background: Wilderness Mapper
Origin: Rustic Hunter

Skills
Cartographer (B)
Scouting Network (connections, B)
Survival (B)
Foraging (B)
Blunt Talk (B)
Stealth (B)
Archer (O)
Animal Knowledge (O)
Wealth: Poor [1] (P)

Tricks
Quick Escape: Luisella can always find the quickest way out of a situation.
Tricky Shot: Given a chance to aim at an immobile target, Luisella can always hit it.

Complications
Coarse Manners (O)
Unwanted Recognition (P)

Kit: The Wayfarer
Advance: Logistics

quote:

Class: Archer [Sentinel] (Aim, Flare, Pin Down, Area Denial, Bullseye
Role: Leader (Tactics, Heal, Try Again!)
Feat: Melee Shooter

ZeeToo fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 14, 2016

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

Here is a better, but still 100% in alpha version of the map for people. I'll edit it into first post, too.

Sometime after work I'll try to give what I have so far a read and provide critique/insight/follow-up questions. I appreciate all the apps so far.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Lady Vera
Theme

It's a commonly accepted truth that a royal family and the nation they govern are two sides of same coin. The Kingdom of Troubles is no exception.

As a child, it was nearly impossible for the nannies to keep a hold of Vera. They'd bark, holler, and scream orders at her, but she'd look them in the eye with a playful grin and slip out of the window and down the roof tops, clambering down onto a balcony the floor below. The wild princess went through caretaker after caretaker who just could not keep up, and never thought it was a problem.

As soon as she was old enough, she was put into swordsmanship as an outlet for her abundance of energy. Her teacher, a commoner turned knight of great renown, he thought her not only swordsmanship, but discipline, respect, and duty. Her energy is still plentiful, occasionally too excess, but she desperately searches for something to focus it on.

When the Great Seer Annakos foretold the journey she'd make with her most trusted friends, there was not a moment's doubt in Vera's mind. This was her chance to prove herself worthy of her prestigious legacy, to do what Reggie did. She would lead her people to salvation... And she could not be more pumped.

quote:

Background: Determined Princess
Origin: Rambunctious Lordling

Wealth: 2

Skills:
Swordsmanship
Goading
Connections (Nobles)
Court Politics
Tactics
Running
Climbing

Tricks:
Don't Make Me Laugh: A few well chosen insults, and Vera can always get someone to pick a fight.

One Skip Ahead: Vera can always jump out a window and navigate safely to the ground.

Complications:
Unfocused - Vera is easily distracted, and interestingly- oh look! A market!
Oh Really? - Vera doesn't know too much about the world outside the capital, and can be pretty gullible.

Kit: Gunslinger
When someone challenges you to a duel, you gain an Ac-tion Point if you accept. When you challenge someone else to a duel, announcing their crimes to all, they must accept or else suf-fer Disadvantage on all social interactions until you pardon them or they defeat you in some way.

Advances:
Always Draw - When someone else draws. Even if you can’t see them or don’t know they’re there. If they are armed, so are you.

Class: Rogue (Backstabber: Called Shot, Disengage, Flank, Trap, Throw) 
Role: Striker (Damage Boost, Mobility Boost, Quick Shift, Strike back) 
Feat: Minor Leader

Jade Mage fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 15, 2016

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

I'll probably be making my picks with a cutoff of April 15th, 4:00 p.m. central time in the States. Going through apps now for a cursory check.

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

• Waffleman_ - Tsubaki: Looks solid.
  • Daraken - Shou Igawa: Looks solid.
  • Davin - Franc Reale: Looks solid. Please rename the LCAC to "Hoverune", though.
  • Jester of America - Aelita: Concept is solid, though it looks like it's missing some lines in the start? Your mechanics and skills look alright.
  • Mareketh - Keiji: Looks solid.
  • Psiwri - Myga: Solid, though for your second Trick, maybe consider something like "Insults and threats to my person mean little, but to my shinies..." ?
  • Decus - Karma: Looks solid
  • Z - Luisella Clarkson: Might be solid? Needs to be finished, but you tend to have a good grasp of things.
  • JadeMage - Lady Vera: Solid, though Unfocused seems to be missing a word? I'd like to test out that window-hopping habit.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Velyoukai posted:

Unfocused seems to be missing a word?
That was a failed attempt at humour. :ohdear:

Psiwri
Mar 8, 2012

"The Foecast today calls for dark clouds, booming thunder and F.O.E.s everywhere!"
Crummy trick replaced by a new and improved one. :)

Daraken
Oct 9, 2007

Eh, let's toss in a prince while I'm at it. Also made some minor edits to my other character sheet as well.

His Royal Highness Prince Gareth, Fourth in Line to the Throne

The youngest child of the Imperial Family, it was said that the newborn prince was blessed by the spirits of the land at birth. His prodigious if rudimentary attempts at magic as a young child certainly lent credence to those rumors. Taught by the best tutors in the kingdom in an effort to foster that talent, Gareth's affinity for summoning quickly became clear to the delight of his teachers. With his congenial attitude and affinity for magic, binding spirits to his command was like child's play. As Gareth grew up, his continued studies and practice easily earned him a place with the prestigious Royal Arcane Society, the famed fellowship of sorcerers and wizards that spanned all of Haransei. Coupled with his silver tongue, it seemed like the young summoner would become one of the more renowned members of the Imperial Family.

Except you know, for the fact that he completely trusted every word said to him.

Maybe it was because he had no friends growing up, instead spending all his time either reading stories or talking to strange otherworldly spirits. Or maybe it was simply his ingrained nature. In any case, while his magical tutors were delighted with Gareth, those in charge of politics and diplomacy found themselves despairing. While affable and charming, the scholarly prince simply refused to believe anything less than the best of others. Why can't we all just get along and avoid these nasty conflicts, he would naively ask. But despite their best efforts otherwise, Gareth refused to change, much to the resignation of the rest of the family. So instead the young prince found himself shuffled away from the public view, leaving him content in his studies.

The naming of the youngest prince in the Great Seer's prophecy certainly came as a great surprise. Surely one of his older siblings would be better suited? No? Oddly enough to the Imperial Family though, Gareth seemed unsurprised and amiable about the whole quest he had been sent on. Forewarned by the whispers of the spirits, the dark haired summoner was ready to follow their advice as he had done all his life. Besides, weren't those some awfully interesting words the Great Seer had said? He certainly was looking forward to whatever destiny was awaiting him!

Character Sheet posted:

Background: Arcane Academic
Origin: Scholarly Prince
Wealth: Wealthy [2]

Complications
Opposes Violence
Gullible

Skills
Spirit Talker*, Elemental Calling*, Mana Theory*, Royal Arcane Society (Connections), Etiquette, Imperial History, Charming

Tricks
Hear My Plea: You can always call upon nearby spirits for information and advice
Calming Presence: When tempers flare, you can always calm everyone down

Motivation: Following the word of the spirits, interested in the mystery of the prophecy

Gear: Magical Reagents, Arcane Society Medallion, Royal Clothing, Enchanted Grimoire

Relationships:

Kit: Sorcerer (Celerity)

Class: Summoner (Warrior Spirit: Trooper, Fire Elemental, Earth Elemental)
Role: Defender (Defense Boost, Stickiness Boost, Mark, You Call That a Punch?)
Feat: Reliable Summoner

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Yep, may as well post a prince!

Van of Haransei, 3rd Prince

Strong Body! Strong Mind! Strong Spirit! To neglect any part of oneself is to neglect the whole of oneself! That is how the man of mantras, the lightning veteran, the eternal teacher, the 3rd prince of Haransei, Van, lived and continues to live his life! Even after being cursed with the body of a child.

His latest instructional manual was meant to be an inspirational story of adversities overcome and preconceived notions changed for the better, beginning as such:

My own students called me such things as “old fashioned”, mocked my philosophy of strong body, strong mind, strong spirit as “overly serious” and feared my training methods as “waaaaaaay too dangerous”. But, a mage must constantly dance with death! The risk inherent in my training was a risk that, once overcome, would fashion any mage into a man! “Some of us aren’t even men to begin with”, they complained. But, ha! Even women can have the spirit of a man!

Before moving on to detail how their young minds saw the light and embraced the glory of his training, his philosophy, his way of life! How they embraced the fullness of their potential under his tutelage, leaving his care so much more inspired than before! But, apparently he had inspired one of the young women he had taught in an entirely different direction as upon hearing of the manual--the last of the last straw for her--she showed up at his office and mis-cast a curse on him, reducing his body of 36, honed and crafted and refined in its manliness over the years, to that of a rather small child. At first he cried, then he pleaded with his student until she finally offered him one request, one small alteration to her curse.

Wiping away his tears, and filled with a new resolve, he requested a mustache, claiming that with that symbol of his former manliness alone he could overcome the adversity presented by his new form, seeing it as a challenge! A test! Oh ho, how his student had learned, struggled and finally gifted him with a lesson of her own! He cried yet again, this time of tears of joy! She cast another spell and left post-haste, obviously embarrassed, as the words “Ugh, just find me once you’ve given up! You’re somehow even more obnoxious as a child!” trailed behind her.

To his horror, though, the mustache was not all she had returned to his child form! His hairline, even as a child, was...receding! A receding hairline is proof of a receding soul! Such was one of his mantras and as quickly as he’d looked in a mirror he’d grabbed the turban worn by his adult self, fallen off in the transformation, and hid his shame, re-styling one of his bangs to aid in the task.

And the horrors did not end there as, that very day, he received word that he had been chosen by The Great Seer Annankos to embark on a journey of salvation, to deliver the Kingdom from its plight. Trials upon trials! For all 36 years of his life he had lived as he had wanted to live, as a soldier and then finally a teacher! Such was the freedom allowed to the 3rd of princes, far further than 3rd in line to the throne! Yet again he cried, messenger still in the room, before he calmed himself and loudly proclaimed that true men fight to make their fate their own! This challenge, too, he would overcome! Ha! Perfect, a challenge of body and a challenge of mind and spirit! His student’s timing had been impeccable!

pre:
Name: Van of Haransei
Background: Eternal Teacher
Origin: Lightning Veteran
Resources: Rich[2]
Kit: The Brute/Doctor

Skills

Students (Connections) (B)
Military Educator
Discipline
Commanding Voice
Writing
Lightning Magic (O)
Shounen Spirit (P)

Complications

Lightning Veteran [Antagonizing Personality]

Even in his youth, as a fresh recruit, he had the makings of the man he would someday become! From 
the beginning he’s been either loved or hated and when it comes to the female element it’s mostly 
hated. Throw in his title of prince and what it did to his speed of advancement--he will forever 
proclaim that even if he obtained his positions through nepotism, he kept them through merit!--and 
even within the military he has enemies everywhere, to say nothing of foreign enemies from his time as 
a general, at the peak of his career. 

Personal [Body of a Child]

And due to one person he had apparently antagonized--not that he will ever realize as much--he now 
has the body of a child. This was, despite his wish to “overcome his new body!”, looked into after he 
had been chosen by the Great Seer. It could have been fixed relatively easily if the girl who’d cast 
the curse had done so properly, but from what they could gleam it had actually been the result of 
a mis-cast, as originally she had planned to turn him into a woman, not a young boy. That made it 
much harder to fix and, even should they convince Van to go along with it, the process would have 
overly delayed the prophesized journey or been at the very least ineffective in returning his prior 
strength and ability.

In most ways, Van is still very unused to his new body to the extent that the level of swordsmanship 
he was once known for has become an impossibility. His magic, too, has suffered from the change 
of body, to say nothing of his once-manly voice. Still, neither his mind nor his spirit have wavered!

Tricks

Eternal Teacher [Inspiring Lesson]: An Eternal Teacher can always, given enough time, succeed 
in making even a ragtag group combat ready.

Personal [Lightning Fast Inspiration]: When forced to write something inspirational up quickly 
and on the spot Van will never fail to deliver!   

Kit: The Brute/Doctor

Base: The Brute You were a paragon of physical accomplishment! When you roll a Twist on a 
task of athleticism, speed, strength, or appetite, you may gain the Winded Condition to re-roll. Even as
a child you will not allow your edge to be lost, no matter the consequences!

Advance: Fight Through the Pain! (First Aid) After each combat, you may reduce one ally’s 
Strikes by one for the purposes of calculating Conditions (not Concessions). Whether you annoyed 
them so much that their pain feels slightly worse or inspired them to win out, mind over matter, a victory 
is a victory!

Eternal Teacher

At 30 he retired as a general and instead became a teacher and a writer, both instructing the young 
men and women of Haransei’s military and writing instructional manuals and, at times, uplifting 
novels based on his experiences. He has enjoyed the freedom being the 3rd Prince, far further in the 
line of succession thanks to nieces and nephews, has granted him; having all of the benefits of the 
title with comparably few of the responsibilities has been like a dream come true. Even as that 
has seemingly ended with the latest prophecy he does not despair! Rather, he sees it as a new 
challenge! A challenge of the mind and the spirit, of accepting responsibility and putting aside 
his personal goals and desires for the greater good!

Lightning Veteran

From 15 to 30 he rose from lowly recruit to general, mostly due to his title but also, as he will 
loudly proclaim, due to his merit! His grit! His manliness! His unadulterated charm! To be fair, he 
often did impress during intramural tournaments and the like, leaving nobody to question his ability 
in individual combat. But, on the other hand, both his superiors and colleagues often questioned 
his ability to set realistic goals and form realistic strategies. To them, all of his accomplishments 
were built on luck, his plans succeeding by sheer chance as seven times out of ten they should never 
have worked and even when they did their cost should have been much greater than the reality. Was 
there something to his bravado, did he truly have the ability to inspire and train his men to work 
beyond their limits? Or was he truly just lucky? To this day there is no solid agreement there as just 
as there are some who will miss his work as an educator, as he sets out on his new journey, there are 
also those glad to finally and perhaps permanently be rid of him and his ridiculous methods, his unrealistic 
philosophy.
pre:
Still need to work this out, but definitely going to be Warlord and then whatever role seems best for the party.

Enabling
Alley-Oop
Enumerate its Weaknesses
Don't Give Up

Decus fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 15, 2016

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

It is the night of the third Undine-day and Castle Haransei is alight with celebration torches.

Though the years have been of tireless struggle to stay ahead of the rampant overgrowth and changes in nature caused by the Scouring, the descendants of Reggie the Ready and those he shepherded to their new homes have proven stalwart and hardy. From humble origins as a hodge-podge group of all manner of civilians, most with barely any knowledge of how to live off the land, to their current standing of Castle Haransei and the secure standing of five villages, with a sixth on the way, the people of Haransei's determination to survive on Evoath has rewarded them well.

Tonight, Castle Haransei and the Imperial Family celebrate that destined day, almost three centuries ago, when Reggie the Ready made his legendary journey south.

Princess Vera, infamous as the Third Princess of Haransei who knows no restraint or reason by certain staff, stands at the center of the outer courtyard where the Imperial Family and their guests have gathered to behold the starry sky. Around her are various other daughters and sons of the nobility and commoners alike, all same-minded and of matching energy to the Third Princess' own. Together they have contributed to much of the volume from the night's events, as well as entertainment for those who enjoy watching a good duel.

One group of such entertained guests consists of the Eight-Ways Trade League, including one Doge Reale and his protégé and son, Franc Reale. The Eight-Ways Trade League, perhaps the nominal group of traveling merchants patronized and supported by the Haransei Imperial Family for generations, was invited to join in the celebration by Queen Remelia personally. Though Doge is often a guest to such affairs, his slowly diminishing health of unknown origins has prompted him to take measures to bolster Franc's presence in the eyes of the Imperial Family, hence their shared attendance.

Off to the side of Queen Remelia and King Cordon's retinue stands the mystical Great Seer Annankos, sister to the Queen and personal aide to the royal family, her hands hidden in her sleeves. To her left is a large, imposing man of great apparent strength and a shock of red hair parted by a horn. Though concerned whispers of "The Spirit-Possessed Swordsman," and "Keiji the Shade-Claimed" creep throughout the room, faith in Annankos' confidence and calming smile while standing next to such a controversial figure reduce most worries to mere small talk. The remaining concerns are distracted and directed towards the large, human-sized and jewel-adorned cage on Annankos' right, which holds a strange woman with black wings.

Truly, the Great Seer of Haransei is a strange one.

"My esteemed subjects and guests, a toast!" Queen Remelia raises her glass, an act followed by the King, and then by every filled hand in the courtyard. For the Queen who tamed the wandering warrior, Cordon, and secured the peace with the kobolds to the north, every glass is raised with a sense of pride and duty.

"Many years ago, on this very night when the heavens unleashed their wrath upon the world, my ancestor, King Reggie, gathered his neighbors and all who would join him and fled from his home." A solemn quiet stills the air, with even Vera and her group calmed to a degree. Smiling softly, the Queen continues. "Yet, even when faces with innumerable challenges and a world that seemed to want all of our kind dead, our great kin survived and managed to make it here, to the lands this castle stands on. Though we are faced with great challenges, and a damning quietude of the unknown around us, we, too, are of the same ilk and make as King Reggie and those he marched with!"

Cheers fill the air as drinks are sloshed, a crest of enthusiasm that Queen Remelia stills with another wave of her hand. "And so, let us give thanks for one more year in which we have defied the fate of destruction we were cast! Let us look forward to another, and one thousand more after that!"

"To Haransei!"

"To Haransei!"

"To Haran-"

"▂▂▃▃▄▄▅▅▇▇!"

The cheers are deafened by a monstrous roar that howls through the sky from over their heads. As one, the courtyard-dwellers look up to the heavens in time to bear witness to a massive sphere of violent red and blue flames tear through the sky above like a sword through water. The heavens themselves are sundered, clouds dragged into the path of the flaming sphere and brutally twisted and destroyed by its rage. The leviathan above surges overhead, passing close enough to the courtyard for those assembled to feel the drag of the wind as it is violently seized and taken along, before continuing north until its fiendish howl fades from view, leaving behind an equally deafening silence.

For a moment, all are stunned still by the appearance of the monstrous object in the skies. The quiet is broken by a soft sigh, followed by several gasps as the room slowly turns one by one from the heavens to the glowing form of Annankos. Still, with her hands raised to her chin in the form of a triangle and with both eyes shut, the Great Seer of Haransei peers through the entire room with the glowing third eye present on her temple.

A wave of murmurs passes through the courtyard, none willing to speak too loudly, though, and risk disrupting the Seer's vision. The last vision that Annankos provided for her sister and brother-in-law resulted in the discovery of a hidden cache of agricultural tools and supplies, including seeds for a new crop apparently called a 'pumpkin'. With the appearance of the great flaming orb that tore through the skies, what would Annankos' vision bring this time?

"...It seems that my preparations were not wasted." Annankos' eyes open languidly, blinking several times before directing a tired smile towards Queen Remelia. "It seems the heavens themselves have seen fit to grant us another chance, Sister."

"A chance, Annankos?" Cordon asks, his drink forgotten as he, joined by the rest of the room, stare at the Seer with an intense focus.

"That's right, oh King." Annankos coyly smiles, lifting her sleeves to her face as she bows to both Queen and King. "The heavens have beckoned for one of your own to seek out the place that sphere of screaming flames landed. They foretell that, with the right hands and eyes searching, the future of Haransei will be secured."

Quietened murmurs explode into a growing frenzy of realizations and claims, but Annankos' voice cuts through them all as she lifts her head and raises her hands to the sky.

"I have seen it. It is Princess Vera who will return with Haransei's bright future in hand!" The Seer gestures towards the Third Princess, smiling at the rambunctious girl as several cheers and calls follow suit. The Queen and King's expressions are controlled, but the pride in Corden's eyes cannot be mistaken, nor can the release of tension in Remelia's shoulders. A tension that is regained as Annankos whirls around, wrapping her arms around the shoulders of a young man that had been largely forgotten nearby her. The Seer turns and faces the crowd once more, regaining the attention of the courtyard as she suddenly raises her voice once more.

"Yes, Princess Vera will without doubt herald a new age for Haransei," Annankos coyly smirks, tilting her head and the head of the boy in front of her as well. "Joined by my favorite little nephew, Prince Gareth!"

Velyoukai fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 16, 2016

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

Princess Vera - Jademage,
Keiji - Maleketh,
Myga - Psiwri,
Franc - Davin,
and Prince Gareth - Daraken

Thank you all for your applications. I will, unless asked not to, probably still make use of the non-chosen apps as important NPCs in the world.

Expect follow-up questions soon, participants.

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

• Maleketh - Keiji: As you expected, there were many hushed whispers in your general direction the evening of the Great Seer's prophecy. They were far more neutral than negative, however, and a few people even nodded with respect towards you. What has your history been with the Kingdom of Haransei been outside the event that claimed your village? Is there anyone you can think of who would have spread your name with good intent?
  • Davin - Franc: Immediately after the Great Seer finished her prophecy, your father spoke up despite his lungs and quite passionately pledged your assistance to the Princess and Prince in this matter. This was probably just a little annoying, as you already had business plans for yourself and this prophecy quest doesn't exactly have a stated duration. What were your previous plans and is there anybody who is going to be more than a bit upset that you're not going to be personally doing them?
  • Psiwri - Myga: Poor thing. It must be very strange and scary, being in this human world of mistless, wingless talkers who don't seem to share everything. The only person you were able to communicate with the way you're used to was the Seer lady. Still, you have had to stay in your shiny room with bars that goes with the Seer lady for a whole week now. You've had time for several people from the castle to take notice of you. Who did you recognize on the night that the sky split open and the winds were violated by the fire orb?
  • Jademage - Vera + Daraken - Gareth: First, a joint question. The two of you have, largely, lived in different worlds as you grew up. Even though you have different fathers, though, you are still siblings. What has your relationship with each other been throughout the years?
  • Jademage - Vera: So you have been chosen by your Aunt's visions to lead your people and kingdom to a greater tomorrow! This is exactly what you've been waiting for, isn't it? That said, how do you feel after witnessing the strange sphere of flames that disrupted the evening of celebration? Do you have any concerns that you might not admit in front of your peers and family?
  • Daraken - Gareth: Out of all your immediate family, your Aunt, the Great Seer Annankos, is probably the one who treats you the best. Her claim of you being her favorite nephew is no lie, after all. With that in mind, what went through your mind prior to her announcement of your involvement in your big sister's journey? What were the spirits' thoughts as the heavens were ripped apart by the flaming orb in the sky?

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Velyoukai posted:

• Jademage - Vera: So you have been chosen by your Aunt's visions to lead your people and kingdom to a greater tomorrow! This is exactly what you've been waiting for, isn't it? That said, how do you feel after witnessing the strange sphere of flames that disrupted the evening of celebration? Do you have any concerns that you might not admit in front of your peers and family?

Vera
To be frank, that doom ball pulling the sky apart like a knife through silk shook me to my bones, in both the literal and figurative sense. I've always dreamed of this opportunity, the chance to prove my birthright, to be the heroine that they tell stories about, but this is the first time I've considered maybe I'm outta my depth. Like, for sure, I'm a good swordsman, a good tactician, and I can play all the politics I need to play as princess, but that thing isn't something you can prepare for. I haven't got a magical bone in my body, and that stuff isn't natural, I can't see how my Aunt can be so nonchalant. This is some huge magic crap going down, and I don't understand any of it, and I'm not allowed to say that. I'm now the Princess in charge, I gotta go do prophesized great things, I have to look strong as always. So as the wind buffets my cloak, making me look the part, I stand conflicted. Should I hope or dread... Ugh...

Welp, at least I look awesome. Let's put those thoughts away, and do the job. Just gotta go find the doom ball. Easy as pie.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Velyoukai, since our group has two other defenders, do you object if I switch to blaster? I waffled between both roles for a good long time, and since defender's covered...

Velyoukai posted:

• Maleketh - Keiji: As you expected, there were many hushed whispers in your general direction the evening of the Great Seer's prophecy. They were far more neutral than negative, however, and a few people even nodded with respect towards you. What has your history been with the Kingdom of Haransei been outside the event that claimed your village? Is there anyone you can think of who would have spread your name with good intent?

My "relationship with the Kingdom?" Depends how you mean that. I mean, on the one hand, I've lived here my whole life and fought all my battles here. I sometimes took jobs from foreigners, if they paid well, but that was it. But if you're asking about the upper crust, the people who do the ruling and make the laws? There's nothing to say. Maybe a few nobles've hired me, but our "relationship" was just my blade for their gold. And as for the royals, I've always steered clear - at least until the seer made me an offer. Same for jobs involving killing someone in the palace. I don't like getting tangled up in politics. Just being at this party makes me nervous.

And no, I don't know who's been putting in a good word for me. I try to keep a solid reputation for being strong and reliable, but even folks who've hired me regularly don't seem to like me. I mean, I don't blame 'em, but still, people saying nice things about me? That's new. Maybe the seer spread some rumors before the party. Doesn't matter; I'm sure they'll go back to trashing me tomorrow.

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

I have no problem with you going blaster or staying defender. We can definitely have multiple of a single role and one like defender can have plenty of nuance.

For example, Myga sure as hell ain't a defender for the party's sake.

You do you, though. Go for what you think fits the most groovily.

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

Of note: We will be doing a sort of prologue as soon as I get the thread started, and people will have until the end of the prologue section to make mechanical changes. This will include a practice fight, so don't feel rushed or anything.

Psiwri
Mar 8, 2012

True that, my use of Defender is primarily as a self preservation/trollin' the battlefield angle rather than like, in the thick of things being a tank.

quote:

Psiwri - Myga: Poor thing. It must be very strange and scary, being in this human world of mistless, wingless talkers who don't seem to share everything. The only person you were able to communicate with the way you're used to was the Seer lady. Still, you have had to stay in your shiny room with bars that goes with the Seer lady for a whole week now. You've had time for several people from the castle to take notice of you. Who did you recognize on the night that the sky split open and the winds were violated by the fire orb?

Oh! Uh, there was red clothes, but he never spoke back when I was asking (lots of) things, gave food and nothing else. There was blue eyes girl who kept laughing at Myga, saying things she didn't know were true or not about Myga! Would not listen to trying to set things straight, ruffles my feathers very much! Then there was the very shiny tube things hanging from the ceiling nearby... lots of tiny fires in them, very mesmerizing. Helped many hours pass by.

Oh yes, see this cut on top of painful bruise? Myga simply tried to reach out to a stranger that seemed nice with the Mist to be friendly, got lashed back at violently! Never tried to do that again...

Was also wondering, how was Seer Annankos so calm when sky exploded in fire? Nearly fainted after rattling against bars of stifling cage in terror!

Psiwri fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 16, 2016

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

I'm just indecisive about whether I want to put more emphasis in his toughness or his berserk rampages. I'm leaning toward switching, but we'll see. There's time to think.

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

Yep, plenty of time. Also Psiwri misses you in the irc, Maleketh.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Sorry, I don't usually do much IRCing. Possibly it's a symptom of my age. :shobon: I'll try to hang out there more, but I have an early shift at work tomorrow so for now I have to get to bed.

Daraken
Oct 9, 2007

Velyoukai posted:

• Daraken - Gareth: Out of all your immediate family, your Aunt, the Great Seer Annankos, is probably the one who treats you the best. Her claim of you being her favorite nephew is no lie, after all. With that in mind, what went through your mind prior to her announcement of your involvement in your big sister's journey? What were the spirits' thoughts as the heavens were ripped apart by the flaming orb in the sky?
Well honestly, parties like these aren't really my thing. But Auntie insisted and I didn't want to disappoint her you know? The spirits were awfully insistent about me going too, though rather vague about it as well. And it was okay, if a little boring. I just didn't understand why Aunt Annankos wanted me there in the first place when no one really seemed to care, but those guests of hers were pretty interesting at least. I thought maybe she wanted to introduce them to me as part of furthering my studies when that simply amazing sphere tore through the skies. I mean, wow. And to top it off, I got to see first hand one of Auntie's famous prophecies delivered!

As for the spirits, like I said, they'd been terribly pensive lately, and even more unclear than usual. Something important was going to happen soon I could tell, but whatever it was was leaving my friends in quite the tizzy. The orb streaking across the skies certainly explained that! I think the spirits had been expecting something to happen, but the sudden appearance of the sphere still left them in quite the shock, with no little amount of fear. The sheer otherworldliness of the flaming orb had them off kilter, but despite all that, I could sense an underlying current of...hope? Whatever it was though, things definitely have gotten exciting!

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772494

Thread's up; make your entrances with details to your liking. This is the prologue's beginning.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Velyoukai posted:

Davin - Franc: Immediately after the Great Seer finished her prophecy, your father spoke up despite his lungs and quite passionately pledged your assistance to the Princess and Prince in this matter. This was probably just a little annoying, as you already had business plans for yourself and this prophecy quest doesn't exactly have a stated duration. What were your previous plans and is there anybody who is going to be more than a bit upset that you're not going to be personally doing them?

Ufufufufu, my dear narrative friend, in this world the contract of a merchant prince is more valuable than gold dust! After all, gold dust can't buy you food and swords if the trader doesn't show up carrying them!

Fortunately my most well paid contract isn't quite so fundamental...maybe? They're a group of people calling themselves the Geoalchemists, and they say they attune themselves to the world underneath to see the progress of the Sacred Beasts and the Scouring from long long ago. Like reading the rings of a stump, they say. Well, I don't know how much of what they say is true, but I know that their boss, Starke of Geod, pays very well for large samples of blasted land--and expects very fast deliveries for his money. Normally we use my Hoverune to move the samples Haransei-ward, because it's spacious enough to move large samples and fast enough to run from...anything that gets in the way. But now my Hoverune has been commandeered--volunteered, sorry!--as the royal carriage, and the camels that my protege has offered in their place...they're reliable, but they're sloooow. He's expecting the next big neolith to arrive the day after the ceremony. It won't be there until next week.

Now I've heard that Geoalchemists can cause all manner of earthquakes and landslides and sandstorms and all that by some...communion. But I've only ever heard that from their own mouths. Surely they're just high on rock salt, right?

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

Everybody's prompts have been gathered and archived.

I'm still working on all the information and tutorials for the next part, so feel free to continue socializing and such. It's good to get to know your future ~friends~

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Switched to a blaster. :) Marks of Death all around!

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

This is the world map as the Kingdom of Haransei / the PCs would know it. Any additions anybody would like mentioned, like Keiji's former village or Franc's geoalchemist 'friends', just let me know.

Mygas don't count.

Daraken
Oct 9, 2007

I see the GM rulers of Haransei had great imagination when it came to village names. :v:

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

King Reggie's body was ready, but his imagination was perhaps biased.

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

I'll be updating either late tonight or late tomorrow, so any interactions should finish up (though you'll be able to continue eventually)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

Post is up, and we are in Conflict!

The game room is set up with Strike! sheets right in your character files, so once everybody has joined the room, I'll have the characters fully assigned and you can go about your turns.

Any questions or group discussion about what to do can take place here or in the irchat.

• Locked thread