Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Vincent Freeman was diagnosed with a congenital heart condition that could kill him at any time after the age of thirty, as well as nearsightedness. He hides these handicaps from his employers at the space program (by assuming the identity of someone with a more suitable genetic profile) and through hard work and determination, earns a spot on the Mars mission. Hooray! Triumph of the human spirit over cold genetic calculation, right?

Wrong.

Vincent Freeman is endangering the lives of his fellow astronauts and the viability of the Mars mission. What happens when he has a heart attack halfway between Earth and Mars, huh? What happens when he runs out of saline solution for his contact lenses after six months? Because there's no way he brought an eight year supply.

What happens when one of his contacts gets dislodged during a spacewalk and he can't fix it because of his space suit, and his hand eye coordination is severely impaired?

And even if nothing bad happens, are we to assume also that none of his fellow astronauts are going to notice he's putting in contact lenses every day? How can they trust him once they discover he's not who he said he was?

I'm not denying that what Vincent did was a major accomplishment, nor that he overcame seemingly impossible odds to accomplish his dream, but he was so focused on whether he could do it, he never stopped to ask himself whether he should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
You shouldn't disrespect Al Pacino

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

the op was wrong to post what he did but it's too late and now he's posted it. just look at it i mean lol

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Maybe he got that laser eye surgery off screen before the last scene.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Johnny Aztec posted:

Maybe he got that laser eye surgery off screen before the last scene.

We can only hope.

Though I doubt it as the whole reason he didn't get laser eye surgery in the first place was that the scars are detectable.

I haven't seen the movie in over a decade so I don't remember if the space program did any other tests besides the urine sample immediately before the mission.

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
I thought it was a prison???

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Fishy Joe posted:

I thought it was a prison???

You're thinking of Attica.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Indeed he shouldnt have sucked that dick.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I thought it was to Saturn and not Mars, OP? Maybe your parents should have paid the geneticist more to give you better brain think meat.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
OP I think you're mixed up on some details here. Gattaca is the guy from Mortal Kombat with swords for arms.

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor

ScrubLeague posted:

OP I think you're mixed up on some details here. Gattaca is the guy from Mortal Kombat with swords for arms.

That's Baraka, the OP is thinking about the peninsula that separates the gulf of mexico from the pacific.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
No, Baraka is the president and also you're racist

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Lunixnerd posted:

That's Baraka, the OP is thinking about the peninsula that separates the gulf of mexico from the pacific.

No, GATTACA is what you yell out when you charge at someone to murder them.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ScrubLeague posted:

You shouldn't disrespect Al Pacino

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9hFRw5jeRQ

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
yeah this is correct and he's actually a dangerous monomaniac. also the world depicted in gattaca doesn't seem so bad. everyone tall and good looking and apparently with a good sense of old fashioned style?

edit: also iirc everyone was white. seems okay.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
poo poo. You're right. It's just a movie about a selfish rear end in a top hat

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
The Gattaca world doesn't seem like a nightmare distopya to me. Sure the genetically unengineered are an underclass who have to do janitorial work, but the society seems better overall than the society we have now. Then again, maybe the Gattacaverse was never meant to be a nightmare future, just a flawed one.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

he was in a ship by himself. theory destroyed.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
It was pretty rude of him to leave his gross cells everywhere after he was finished scraping them off his body. What if a child was walking there and fell into them?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

irl his heart probably would have popped on the way up. big waste of taxpayer money

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

The Dennis System posted:

The Gattaca world doesn't seem like a nightmare distopya to me. Sure the genetically unengineered are an underclass who have to do janitorial work, but the society seems better overall than the society we have now. Then again, maybe the Gattacaverse was never meant to be a nightmare future, just a flawed one.

You're thinking of Brave New World bro. Gattaca was definitely a bad dude, I mean he had a black mask and an evil looking energy sword, isn't it obvious? And the way he jettisoned all the astronaut sleep capsules in space was just messed up!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

No. 6 posted:

I thought it was to Saturn and not Mars, OP? Maybe your parents should have paid the geneticist more to give you better brain think meat.

Well if it's Saturn that makes it even worse because Saturn is farther away. Gives his ticker even more time to conk out.
And very few days go by where I don't wish I'd been a designer baby so I'm with you on that.

ArmZ posted:

he was in a ship by himself. theory destroyed.

I would have sworn there were at least two other astronauts on the mission.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Wait. I thought he ended up in imagination land cause he went nuts while Monty Python in a baby mask tortured him.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Frankenstyle posted:

Wait. I thought he ended up in imagination land cause he went nuts while Monty Python in a baby mask tortured him.

No that was 12 Monkeys.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have a lot of the same genetics issues with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles too.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Also, whatever combination of psychological traits that the filmmakers are calling the "human spirit" undoubtedly has a genetic component.

Murcor
Dec 1, 2007

It's a hell of a thing
In my opinion I think more astronauts should lie about potentially fatal problems that don't show up until mission critical moments. It would add more spice to the boring space program.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The Dennis System posted:

Yeah I agree. We'd probably be a lot better off with designer baby technology.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
OP he earned his spacetime because of rubbing his nuts with rocks for so long. Its his turn!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
the way technology advances, im surprised that they even allowed some old guys into space. surely the new batch of teenage genetic products would be even better?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Applewhite posted:

Yeah I agree. We'd probably be a lot better off with designer baby technology.

I don't think anybody really doubts that, the movie was just playing on people's fears of being left behind the new wave of technology. Because you know there's going to be millions of people who get screwed on it.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Space travel looked pretty safe, it was probably just for insurance purposes in a future where the ACA never passed. Like when they drug test after a workplace accident so they can deny the claim based on weed in your system from two weeks ago or for being drunk when everyone knows I drive the rig better when I've had a few. They didn't even change out of their business suits for the trip, IIRC. Couldn't have been that dangerous if they could do it in their three-piece.

Love this poster

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

maybe he got a brand new pig heart and was gtg for space travel during his eye surgery?

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

maybe it was all a giant con to send the people with hosed up hearts to Mars where they can't annoy the rest of us?

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
was The Final Countdown in that movie or was i imagining that?

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Those other astronauts were part of the system which held BumHeart down. They're not at fault for being born perfect any more than the person born a straight white male today but they're still part of the problem.

So he should airlock them at the first opportunity.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

when I die I want you to swear to me that you'll fire my rotting carcass out the airlock and into the sun

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
in the final scene doc is like I knew who you were the whole time, so really it's his fault if he didn't do his due diligence

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
What part of the movie was it that we found out Uma Thurmans character had a heart problem too? Just saw it free on Amazon Prime.

Also when he had to cross the street without his contacts showed his vision is more hosed than mine without my glasses. Holy poo poo on navigating a space ship of his contact pops out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

solaranus posted:

in the final scene doc is like I knew who you were the whole time, so really it's his fault if he didn't do his due diligence

But his son was an invalid too and felt sorry for the other invalid.

• Locked thread