Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

http://wapo.st/22hKH2S

quote:

The Syrian regime has freed an American freelance photographer who was abducted after traveling to the country in 2012, according to two U.S. officials.

Kevin Patrick Dawes, 33, from San Diego, was released following many months of negotiations, said the officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the details of Dawes’s release have not yet been made public.

Dawes was recently allowed to call his family and receive care packages, a signal to officials that the Syrian government was moving toward releasing him. The U.S. State Department had taken the lead on winning Dawes’s release. It’s unclear if American officials talked directly with the Syrian government or through an intermediary.

Dawes’s family did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Dawes’s case drew little attention in the media but his release is believed to be a positive sign in securing the freedom of journalist Austin Tice, another American hostage and former U.S. Marine who disappeared in Syria in 2012.

The Syrian government has never acknowledged detaining Tice, but U.S. officials believe the regime or a group affiliated with it is holding him.

Dawes was taken after crossing into Syria from Turkey, according to the FBI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
this guy had pretty poor mental health even many years of torture ago, i really hope he is not too far gone and can rejoin society in some way again. it'll be interesting to read his comments if he makes any, or his first post again on his wonderful home here at something awful dot com

extra stout fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 8, 2016

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what
Lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I though you confirmed that he was dead BM?

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

The Syrian prison probably treated him better than the mental institution in the USA he's eventually going to be put in

Also someone buy him an account. I think his original was banned?

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Holy poo poo

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL
IMO even more goons need to be used callously as negotiation chips during international crises.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Holy loving poo poo

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

So what's the next 3rd world shithole that will be graced with his presence?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
:psyboom:

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
I never stopped believing

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Whelp guess he is gonna have to find :10bux: somewhere to re sub then.

:caro: is in need of an update.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 8, 2016

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Welcome home caro

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Nation posted:

Holy poo poo

Same

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

The rebels probably gave him up after he sewed someone's rear end in a top hat closed thinking it was a gunshot wound

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Oh man, we'd better get this place cleaned up for his welcome home party.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Hey Caro if you're reading this I just wanted to let you know that we're still listening in on everything you say and do, and we'll put you right back in there if you continue trying to expose our activities.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
:wow:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I never gave up hope.

Actually, I've been assuming he was dead for years but w-ever

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

:eyepop:

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Nation posted:

Holy poo poo

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Caro is a loving legend.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I'm glad he's alive I guess. This is definitely one of the strangest things to go down involving this forum.

Cthulu Carl posted:

So what's the next 3rd world shithole that will be graced with his presence?
The New York Times best seller list, hopefully.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

woah

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

This thread is a week late imo.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Holy loving poo poo. Be safe Caro :unsmith:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

What the actual gently caress.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hahaha great April Fools, you really got us there, right? Right?

So I wonder which war he'll go to next...

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

did anyone :toxx: about this

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Khorne posted:

The New York Times best seller list, hopefully.

Well assuming he is in any mental state to write; yeah here comes some tabloid money at least.

I wonder if he will get the "American Hero" treatment in the media rather than them finding out he was batshit crazy to begin with.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Please unban caro

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I though you confirmed that he was dead BM?

Last I heard he was seen in a Syrian torture centre begging to be killed, and that was about 2 years ago, so I assumed he'd be dead by now. I've done a lot in the background with this, but it's seemed mostly hopeless, so for me this is like seeing someone rise from the dead.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
How the gently caress

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's a long GQ piece about him for the background
http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/syria-isis-kevin-dawes

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
He was probably so annoying and goony even the Syrian torturers felt like his presence was torturing them

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

holy crapper

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Taking bets on how prolapsed his rectum is.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Brown Moses posted:

Last I heard he was seen in a Syrian torture centre begging to be killed, and that was about 2 years ago, so I assumed he'd be dead by now. I've done a lot in the background with this, but it's seemed mostly hopeless, so for me this is like seeing someone rise from the dead.

Someone make the needful nicholas brody/caro gifs

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
Man his brain has gotta be ruined by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
“Are you in pain, Frodo?' said Gandalf quietly as he rode by Frodo's side.

'Well, yes I am,' said Frodo. 'It is my shoulder. The wound aches, and the memory of darkness is heavy on me. It was a year ago today.'

'Alas! there are some wounds that cannot be wholly cured,' said Gandalf.

'I fear it may be so with mine,' said Frodo. 'There is no real going back. Though I may come to the Shire, it will not seem the same; for I shall not be the same. I am wounded with knife, sting, and tooth, and a long burden. Where shall I find rest?'

Gandalf did not answer.”

• Locked thread