Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
:siren:THE GAME IS OUT ON ALL 3 PLATFORMS (PC, XBone, PS4):siren:

PLAY WITH US:BATTLEBORN DISCORD CHAT

What the hell is Battleborn and why should I care?

Battleborn is a new game from Gearbox Software. The best way I can describe it is a spiritual successor to Monday Night Combat. It plays like an FPS but has a ridiculous amount of RPG and co-op elements, including a PvP multiplayer mode and a 1-5 person co-op campaign with 9 missions including the prologue. If you're a fan of Borderlands games chances are you'll find at least some enjoyment out of Battleborn. It's definitely got a bit of Borderlands humor peppered into it so people who are a fan of that will probably be interested in this. It's also the first time in a long time that the Gearbox people have made a full multiplayer/PvP supported game.

Tired of reading this and want to know exactly what the hell it is? Well just watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aLQNgyeqh8

Okay, I get it, it's an FPS...with MOBA elements and stuff. What makes it different than Overwatch, Paladins, Smite, Paragon, etc?

First let's get some facts about Battleborn down:
  • Release Date: May 3rd - ALL PLATFORMS
  • Open Beta (PS4): Starts TODAY click HERE Available April 8th - April 18th
  • Open Beta (PC, XBOX): Starts April 13th but you can preload the open beta now.
  • Price: - $60 on All Platforms ( PC (STEAM) - PS4 - XBOX ONE )
  • Collectors Price: - $75 Digital Deluxe Edition that includes Season Pass (5 DLCs)
  • Single-Player: - All 9 story missions are playable solo
  • Split-Screen: - Both PS4 and XBox One has split screen for up to 2 players locally. You can then enter in matchmaking online (or invite more friends to your online party) for PvP or Campaign, or play private PvP matches with bots or private Campaign maps with just the two of you.
  • Multiplayer (Story): - Campaign/Missions are playable with 1-5 players online.
  • Multiplayer (PvP): - "Competative Multiplayer" mode has 3 modes and 2 maps per mode, 10 people total per match (5v5)
  • Microtransactions?: - NO
  • DLC? - Yes, 5 story missions so far and free PvP maps. Also skins and new characters. New Characters and PvP maps will be FREE as to not divide the multiplayer community.
  • Characters: 25 Total with 1 Additional character for PS4 Open Beta players. Plans for up to 30 post-launch so far.

Even if you're a fan of the games listed above, you should still at least try this game out. There's no reason why you can't enjoy multiple games in this whole "HERO SHOOTER" genre or whatever. To me personally it feels like Monday Night Combat more than any of the games that people keep comparing it to. TotalBiscuit explains the game and these comparisons better than I can (WARNING: LONG):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PVYZGOJrH4

Now for the good stuff, the Characters. Let's start off with the Factions they're all a part of:

• Eldrid - Nature loving tree-hugging hippies. Your typical fantastical nature faction.
  • Jennerit - Definitely not vampires, but definitely a sinister faction. Former/current followers of the main villain of the game.
  • LLC - The rich kids, the blank checkers, the 1%, the refined sophistication of...well...robots. Gold and minions. That's their industry.
  • Peacekeepers - The protectors, the police, the military. They are the ones keeping at least a semblance of order around the remaining planets.
  • Rogue - Junkers, riff-raff, and lone wolfs. They are the wanderers and vagrants of the star system, who will cobble anything together to destroy anything in their path.

Got it. Where can I read more about this game?

SOME PROTIPS FOR YOU MY DEAR:

PvP:
  • If you're playing Meltdown (Paradise) the priority is to KILL MINIONS not players. Also don't let them push you too far back, flank around and gently caress their poo poo up.
  • Use the Minimap to see enemies if you can't see them on your screen or they're just around you. Also use them to see AI threats like Minions, Thrall, or Elite Minions.
  • Offhand Melee ("B" button on console, middle mouse click on PC) this does damage and has a knockback, all characters have one
  • Buy gear packs, even basic ones. Until you can unlock higher tier packs. Make (and rename) loadouts that suite your favorite characters.
  • EVERYTHING GIVES YOU XP IN PVP. Buy a turret? XP. Buy a support tower? XP. Buy a fat minion to push down the lane? XP. DO ALL THE THINGS
  • There is no last-hit MOBA poo poo. Don't worry about last hit, just kill robots. All the robots.
  • If you're low on health and your team doesn't have a healer or a healing support tower then hit "B" key on keyboard or on console "Down" on the D-Pad to teleport back to base. You will heal back to full immediately.
  • If you're dying. Run. Run backwards. Offhand Melee them to get them off your rear end. Do not just kamikaze cause then you're just giving them advantage. This is not Overwatch, this is Battleborn, the longer you stay alive the more benefit you have to your team.
  • If you feel like you're losing and don't want to play the rest of the match hit start (or escape on PC) and vote for a Surrender. It's quick, and painless, as long your team isn't incompetent.

PvE:
  • Collect/look everywhere for everything. It's shared among the team so no need to be greedy.
  • In PvE you can pick any character regardless of who picked who. PvP is different.
  • When you're about to finish the mission, if you have a lot of shards buy a bunch of those floaty robot things. It gives you XP (which in turn is points...or something? I dunno)
  • Advanced Hardcore difficulty is HARD. If you have a group of friends that are good gamers, this is what you want to play. I think you need to do it in Story Private though.
  • Harder difficulty = more currency and loot (Gear).

ceebee fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Well the closed beta was garbo, I wonder if they made anything about the game good since then.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Open beta is late to going live on PSN. Endlessly pressing X to get in but just getting the error message that the server is unavailable.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Yeah the dedicated servers are probably getting hammered right now. I'm working on expanding the OP a bit if anybody wants to help out let me know, it's more work than I thought heh.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
how is this game

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Eonwe posted:

how is this game

It's sitting at the cant connect to server error message so far.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
there were betas before this

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Yeah there was a closed technical test to stress the servers and stuff. Apparently they're working on fixing it atm. I was in the Early Access and it was much more fun than the CTT, Open Beta should be even better once they fix the login issues.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Server is up finally.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Played my first PvP match, got completely crushed. The frame rate on the PS4 version really sucks. 30fps at best and even that feels kinda crappy for this game. Wanna play this on PC.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Gearbox is probably crossing their fingers hoping enough people mistake this for Overwatch.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

exquisite tea posted:

Gearbox is probably crossing their fingers hoping enough people mistake this for Overwatch.
"Eh." Overwatch is kinda just another FPS. A decent one, but it isn't super interesting. Paragon and Battleborn are both trying to do something semi-new, each riffing off the MOBA space and Monday Night Combat, which is effectively a new offering in the current market. I've been pining after Monday Night Combat for years.

Still no idea which will end up on top, but Overwatch just isn't as potentially interesting, by comparison.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think Overwatch will be the game that is left standing. Blizzard's history of post-launch support is better then anyone else's. The quality of that support is hotly debated though. Overwatch will get a lot of updates for years to come with new maps, characters, and modes. It's pretty simple right now but that is Blizzards M.O. they never release particularly complex games but they build on them afterwards. Battleborn will just have its season pass and then Gearbox will move on.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Not sure why people are comparing this Overwatch. The two are very different games. IMO it's closer to something like Smite than Overwatch.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
They're two completely different games lol

I've played Overwatch plenty and I enjoy it but Battleborn gives me the kind of co-op in story and pvp that should be in every game these days imo. Plus having different character builds, gear loadouts, etc adds a lot more progression than Overwatch for me.

Just created a Discord server for goons to get together: https://discord.gg/0wBpRhisvb157oTB

ceebee fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 8, 2016

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't think the two games are even remotely similar, but that doesn't change the fact that the perception among most gamer's seem to be that they are in direct competition with each other. MOBA's are slowly coming over to consoles, which means a lot of people are learning for the first time what a MOBA is exactly and so there is a lot of confusion about what the genre is. Many people believe there is a blurred line between MOBA's and class/team based multiplayer games.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
My only advice is to try both of them out and see if you like them both or one over the other, either way I'm glad to see less top-down MOBAs coming out soon.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
I know a lot of people are going to compare this to Overwatch but it really is a pretty different game in its own right. I also really like that it has SP and CO-OP elements tied to it for those of us who'd rather just play that. Though I have to wonder how solid both of these experience will be, from what I've seen it has some really good boss encounters with phases and mechanics instead of just being bullet sponges.

Anyway, really looking forward to this, I don't know yet if I'm gonna go PC or PS4 for this. Like "I said come in!" said the fps feels weird for this type of game, there doesn't appear to be that many complicated graphical effect. I think if battleborn is going to survive in any way it's going to be on consoles.

Edit: Agreed with you cebee, I wish more games would do this as well.

Bonby fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 8, 2016

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Typically missions/story maps take around 45 minutes to an hour to complete. There will be 9 total on launch, open beta has 2 story maps and 2 PvP maps I believe. It's definitely got enough content to differentiate it from multiplayer-only games.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

does the shooting feel like borderlands? because that is a hard game to go back to once you've played an fps with tighter controls

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Kifisonfire posted:

does the shooting feel like borderlands? because that is a hard game to go back to once you've played an fps with tighter controls

Every character feels different to me, lots of melee, ranged, and mid-range characters. Chances are you can find a character that fits your playstyle pretty easy, out of the 25 I have my 2-3 favorites. I haven't played it much on consoles but on PC it has options to adjust aiming and autoaim assist type stuff.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Eonwe posted:

how is this game

So good that Gearbox had to beg people to play the closed beta.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
What is the mumble address?

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

What is the mumble address?

There's a Discord chat here: https://discord.gg/0wBpRhisvb157oTB

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Why isn't this game just Tigger's voice actor yelling "BATTLE BORN" over and over?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mumble is better, why are you trying to exclude us mumble users?

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

Mumble is better, why are you trying to exclude us mumble users?

If somebody wants to setup a mumble server that's cool but I'm not going to pay or host one. Discord works good because you only need the client and that's it, you can also use the web client but I wouldn't recommend it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Camping The Stairs mumble is always up! Its like Up all night with Gilbert Gottfried on the USA channel.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Are people still pushing Discord? Good, we really needed to throw something on top of Mumble, Teamspeak, Ventrilo, and all the other thousand services to install

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

Camping The Stairs mumble is always up! Its like Up all night with Gilbert Gottfried on the USA channel.

If you want to post a link to that or make a channel on there for Battleborn that would be rad :) I have too much poo poo already between Slack, Skype, and Discord. I honestly like Discord over all the other stuff I've tried, especially if you use the client.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
I'm gonna be honest, I really like the designs of a bunch of the characters so this doesn't help my bias toward this game. There's a freaking skull in a robot suit and I love it. It's gonna be a shame if this game just falls flat on its face.

As for the closed beta, man gearbox did zero effort advertising it. I follow them on facebook and even there we had close to zero promotion, even Borderlands Golden Keys were more promoted than Battleborn. All I can hope for is that word of mouth helps this game out. I loving LOVED Monday Night Combat and this seems to be the closest I'll get to a game like that again.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The game doesn't really give any indication for the queue, how long is it taking to get in?

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Some people are able to get matches after matches, others are having trouble getting into queue. They're working on adding more servers to support the massive influx of people, there's no way to tell the length of queue atm.

WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

The grape wont cut me loose.
been in one match in 3 hours of casually rejoining queues after it times out completely

fun so far i guess?!

e; got into two matches immediately after complaining, this is pretty cool actually

WonderfulWino fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 9, 2016

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
is phoebe still broken as poo poo?

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Shalinor posted:

"Eh." Overwatch is kinda just another FPS. A decent one, but it isn't super interesting. Paragon and Battleborn are both trying to do something semi-new, each riffing off the MOBA space and Monday Night Combat, which is effectively a new offering in the current market. I've been pining after Monday Night Combat for years.

Still no idea which will end up on top, but Overwatch just isn't as potentially interesting, by comparison.

MNC was great because it had elements of MOBAs with crossfire mode but was incredibly lethal during all stages of a match. Mickey Cantor was amazing. :allears:

SMNC was significantly slower and deliberately geared so that you spent more time in the 'slowly grinding away at bots' stage yet snowballed like crazy. MNC matches could go either way, especially if you were an assault who knew how to thread a needle with the nade launcher and hit the money ball from long range.

Battleborn is skewed to the pace of SMNC than MNC which is a shame. I wouldn't buy it but that's not an indictment against it. Nothing on the market comes close to being as fast paced as MNC. Overwatch is a TF2 clone but there's always people who say 'is BB like overwatch?'. On a unrelated note Dirty Bomb gets the same treatment but with CSGO, it's almost like people never played Enemy Territory. :cripes:

BB would probably benefit from being in third person as it's a little jarring going from first person to third with charge skills.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

I think Battleborn is going to be received well because that first story mission alone is as fun or more fun than any Destiny strike. I thought the PvE content was going to be underwhelming but instead, if I end up getting this game, I could see myself playing through it all. And then, at the end of it all, I think the multiplayer has a lot of opportunity. It's unfortunately hiding behind a $60 paywall, so its community is at the mercy of good advertising, which sucks because people are currently trying to figure out what the hell the game even is. I was talking to some of my students today and, despite some of them being huge fans of Gearbox, none of them knew anything about the game or that it is even being developed by Gearbox. To them, it is "that game like Overwatch." I'd hate for this game to release, end up being actually good, and then have its players fall hard after two weeks. Personally I know I'll be spending most of my "I want to play an FPS" time on Overwatch.

On to another topic, does anyone know how to mute other players?

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

a harpy posted:

On to another topic, does anyone know how to mute other players?

I can't remember if you click on names or use arrow keys but you mute people from the scoreboard tab.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog

a harpy posted:

I think Battleborn is going to be received well because that first story mission alone is as fun or more fun than any Destiny strike. I thought the PvE content was going to be underwhelming but instead, if I end up getting this game, I could see myself playing through it all. And then, at the end of it all, I think the multiplayer has a lot of opportunity. It's unfortunately hiding behind a $60 paywall, so its community is at the mercy of good advertising, which sucks because people are currently trying to figure out what the hell the game even is.

Agreed, I played some earlier and those levels feel incredibly well put together, plus with all the challenges and obtainable loot this could have enough meat for me to justify a purchase based on the story/coop mode alone.

But I have to wonder what happened to Gearbox's marketing , I have seen almost no major game youtuber market this game other than TotalBiscuit, no wonder people watch this and think it's just a Overwatch clone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Yeah I think the marketing could be a bit better. Also Overwatch/Blizzard are trying really hard to squash a lot of hype and individuality that Battleborn is trying to push. I know for a fact they do things intentionally to kill attention towards other games even if they're vaguely similar. It's unfortunate, but at least Gearbox usually has a following of word-of-mouth recommendations. Anytime anybody is looking for co-op games to play with their friends the Borderlands series gets brought up. I hope that happens with Battleborn once more content is shown and people get their hands on both titles. There's definitely a lot of replayability not just in the story missions but online with friends in PvP. People have been grinding just a small portion of the story maps because they find it fun and different enough with each character and each team setup. Also Advanced Hardcore difficulty is actually pretty drat difficult in Story and requires co-ordination between your teammates.

• Locked thread