Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nil.
Nov 11, 2012

Hot: +2 | Cold: +0 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: +2
XP: 3/5 | Harm: 1/4 | Conditions:

Just moments after I said it, once again told Kara how I feel, I regret it. Because she knows, doesn't she? I don't need to tell her and really, all I'm doing is maybe pushing her away from me, just like earlier, when I, I tried to kiss her... But what else am I supposed to do? I can't just not be who I am, feel like I do! But, but there's a difference between feeling something and doing something, right? That's what I always told myself, and I... aw man. This would all be so much easier if I wasn't such an idiot.

I feel uncomfortable, awkward, and I just hope Kara doesn't notice. I don't let go of her, because, then she'd really notice and, and... Kara isn't looking at me at all. She's not even saying anything! And it's not even like she's shutting me out, punishing me, it's like she's... somewhere else. It's like I'm actually alone, and it somehow makes me feel more guilty about what I've done and I want to apologize, but I'm not sure what for. Or at least how to say it... Maybe, maybe... I guess maybe I should apologize to Cassie too. I mean, what happened there between us, that wasn't cool, and I guess maybe I also deserve some of the blame? Maybe Frankie too. Or, or at least I should tell him I lik- er, appreciate him, you know, as my friend.

I'm thinking all of that, but, but why am I thinking all of that? I mean, Kara is here, in my arms, but... but it's like she's not really there. Like I'm even more alone than I would be if I was actually alone, sitting at home, staring at the ceiling. Why is she not saying anything? I look at her and I don't know what it is, if all the knocking around really did something to my brain or if I suddenly do need glasses, but everything is blurry and fuzzy and... stretched, like some abstract painting. And I'm no longer sure if I'm actually holding Kara any more, or myself, or... something else. I'm in some dream, or a nightmare, underwater - I try to breathe, but I can't, I'm miles beneath the surface, I have to close my eyes, but still my lungs want to breathe, but I can't, I can't, I....

I topple over, land on my hand and feet, and finally, finally, I can breathe, fill my lungs with air. Just, just breathe for a second, I can open my eyes again in just a moment. And then I notice that the air is... strange and that my hands are sinking into the ground? No, the ground is soft, like... grass or moss, like back home. I, I mean, like when I still lived with my Mom and not in Chicago. Doesn't matter! I open my eyes and... I'm in some kind of forest? And not just any forest, some sort of... super forest, clean, alive, sunny, the kind of thing they'd show for some sort of tourism thing.

"Kara, what..." Where's Kara?! She's gone, she's not here! She, she was just there! "Kara!" Oh god, oh god, oh god! I feel sick to my stomach, and the worst part is that I know, just know, that somehow, it's my fault! I scramble to my feet, look behind the big, healthy trees like some idiot, like Kara and me are playing hide and seek like kids, but I can't find her anywhere! I want to break down again, just sit down, but I can't! This is my fault and it wouldn't help anyone! Thinking about how I got here, that wouldn't help Kara either!

I run, even though I don't know where to, one moment into that direction, then into the other, shouting all the while. But, but this isn't helping anyone. I, I need to calm down. I try to remember what people told me about being lost in the woods when I was a kid, but, but I'm not important right now! Kara is! She must be terrified and I need to find her! I.... I need to find her...

Of course! I just need to find her, and, and I can do it! Right? I just need to trust her, that she wants to be found, right, just need to let go of, I don't know, rationality, and let my head do my thing. Right? Because, because I did it before, and if I can't do it now, what good am I? Kara needs my help and I just... need to, uh, open my mind. That sounds stupid now that I thought it. But whatever! I just need to calm down a little. I take a few breaths, look up towards the sunlit canopy - it is beautiful - then pick up a small twig, like I'm searching for water or something. And then I breathe out and... imagine myself being breathed out of my body too, flying out, searching for Kara. Not with just eyes, but with something more... real, that can't be grasped, like, well, that thing between us. Or just between me and Kara... I shake my head and start walking. Kara needs me, my help! She must be terrified, so, so I can't let myself be scared right now.

I keep walking and I step over a fallen branch because it's like I can see it. That's good, right? I'll be able to find her like this.

nilPhone: David Gaze (about Kara)
nilPhone: !r 2d6+2
Krysmbot: nilPhone, 7+2 = 9
Tagging condition 'Terrified' for a result of 10.
MC: Question: What the hell is going on and how can I help Kara?
Clear vision and carrying +1 forward.

Yes, yes, this is working! I can just feel myself getting closer, like the forest itself is telling me where to go, telling me where to place my feet. I can almost already hear voices, sense somebody nearby. Despite everything, I feel good, like I finally found something I am not terrible at, like finally things are looking up. Everything is going to be okay. I'm walking through this forest like nothing can stop me, and it even seems that the voices are almost right next to me, and finally I'll be able to do something good and not just be a bumbling idiot that - aaaaahhh!

I trip and fall and land on the floor, dirt in my mouth. Oh, that's just.... just great! I look around, my first thought trying to find out what I tripped over, but then... I see I am not alone? "Cassie?" My eyes widen. Wait, wait wait. "Allison?!" This is unreal, how did they all get here? Wait, there's somebody on the ground with me and it's... what? "Caitlin?!" What is going on?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Hot 2 Cold -1 Vol -1 Dark 2
XP: 2/5 Harm: 0/4 Conditions: Jealous, Drained, Creep, Heartless

Of all the terms I expected Caitlin to set when I made that foolish, desperate promise, this is frankly quite light! I'm about to agree to those terms, when... "Holy poo poo!" I shout when someone comes out of nowhere and just decks Caitlin. Frozen to the spot, too scared to run, too scared to fight, I'm not... exactly relieved when the stranger turns and I can see it's Cassie - the Cassie that was fighting Gabby - but what she says is more than enough to make up for that entrance. Kara sent her, she didn't abandon me, and Cassie's going to get me out of Faerie - how can I turn that down? Plus, she just looks so damned cool, confident and blasé like this is no big deal whatsoever...
Take a Fake String on Allison

I reach out to take her hand, since, uh, she seems to know what she's doing. It's warm, and rough, but she seems genuine enough!

"Where are they - Kara and Frankie, I mean, are they here with you? We need to get everyone out of here, it's... well, it's insane in here... They think I helped try to kill the king, and, oh god, if they catch any of us, they'll think you were helping too!" From taking her hand, I scramble closer to her, half to be protected, half to protect her. Tired and hurt as I am, when I stare into her eyes with mine, none of that seems to matter...

[2:47pm] Nown: Turn On Cassie
[2:47pm] Nown: .roll 2d6+2
[2:47pm] Platonibot: Nown: 9 (2d6+2=3, 4)
String/Promise/Self

And then David bursts in, and I let out a squawk of surprise. "What are you doing here? We need to get out! We... where's Kara?" Because if there's one thing that obsessive creep's taught me, it's that he's always chasing after her. And if he came here, that must mean it was following her too...

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

I scramble to my feet - I mean, nobody can blame me for tripping this time, I was trying to find Kara and, uh, I had to close my eyes and in any case, I'm in some really weird forest and... where am I? I shake my head, brush myself off, Allison asked me something! I blink and look at her, because right now, this whole situation, it's almost too much, so, I guess I have to think for a moment to actually figure out what she was saying. Allison actually seems to be as surprised to see me as I am surprised to see her, and in a weird way, that makes me feel better. If it's not just me? Oh! Oh, Kara! "Kara, she..." How do I even explain this? I don't even know what happened! "We were looking for you and..." I look over towards Cassie, like that'd explain it - but in a way, maybe? She was there, after all... "Kara said she had a way to find you, and she held me, and then there was that mirror in your bathroom and..."

I pinch the bridge of my nose. What am I gonna say? 'And then I ended up in this forest that is... somewhere'? Now that I say it, it all sounds so crazy! But does it really matter? I glance up, at Allison, at Cassie, as if they'll assure me everything is going to be okay, but, that's not going to happen, is it? Because they're not going to do that and besides, even if I was okay, Kara isn't. I just know! "...I ended up here, but... but I don't know where Kara ended up." My voice quivers. "I don't know where she is! She could be in trouble!"

But, but, I have to keep a clear head. And - especially in front of Allison! And Cassie! Actually, now that I think about it, probably everyone.... Maybe not Frankie. Definitely not Kara.

Anyway! I, I just have to think of something, to save Kara. And even though what I think about Allison... and Cassie too.. is complicated, I'm gonna have to look past that for now, right? I mean, Cassie and Gabby did for finding Allison, so, I can too. So, I'll just... not think about how freaky all of this is or how being close to Cassie in a forest that's kinda like a park makes me nervous, and, and, just do this for Kara. I'm not just some useless idiot, like I'm sure everyone is thinking! So I try on a smile, and step towards Cassie and Ally - and take one of their hands into mine, each. I just gotta pretend I know what I'm doing right? Just a little bit...

"We have to find her, right? We can't leave before that..." I look at Allison. I don't want to say it, even... think about it, but I have to. At least I don't have to say it. Because when I look into her eyes, I'm sure she sees it - that we both know she won't leave Kara behind either. A moment passes, and I look away quickly. To, to look at Cassie, of course! "And, and Cassie, I'm... I'm sorry about what happened earlier, but... we'll pull together for this, right?" I glance at Ally and back again, try to look at both of them, pull both of them in at the same time. I just, want to make them understand how important it is!

In a way, this feels good - because I'm being honest, and right now, it feels like the two of them will really help me. I know it can be hard, but... I have to believe in some good in people, right? I smile - and that is when a breeze picks up, soft, warm, like flowing water. It tousles my hair and at the same time, somewhere above us, opens up the canopy of trees and a ray of sunshine breaks through, falling onto me. It must be this place, this forest, but it feels like forests did in summer for me when I was a kid, big, warm, just... alive - and it makes me feel alive. I smile, for real this time and almost beam at Cassie and Ally, her hands still in mine.

<nil_> David Turn On Cassie
<nil_> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> nil_, 7+2 = 9
Promise/(symbolic)string/give self?

<nil_> David Turn On Ally
<nil_> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> nil_, 10+2 = 12
No mechanical effect.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Hot: 0 | Cold: 1 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: 1
Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5 | Conditions: Terrified, Tempted, Drained

Green and White and Black and Green and White and Black and Green and White and Black Green White Black Green White Black...

Colors blur by me as I race, sprint, escape, anything, everywhere. This is wrong - this place is bad - I'm never going to get back home. Nothing here is Chicago. It's all like some weird, dark, depressing forest with mysterious creatures and people that seem equally as out of place. And they don't even look at me - they don't even talk to me - they can't even hear me! It's like... I'm dead again.

I sit down on a large tree root as my exhaustion overtakes me. Where... what is this place? It's definitely not Allie's bedroom. Something about that painting... like it was some kind of portal to this place. And... does Allie have a connection here? I stop to consider the thought. Is she... hiding a secret? This place... is she... I don't even know.

Of course, I have to find her first to ask. And if she's anywhere... well, it'd be somewhere in this forest, right? I lean back and let the entire place overwhelm me, just burying it into my subconscious, trying to take it all in at once, and then sift through it in a vague hope to catch wind of Allie.

12:27 Ferg kara gaze to find Allie
12:27 Ferg .roll 2d6+1
12:27 Platonibot Ferg: 9 (2d6+1=6, 2)
The visions are confusing and alarming

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Scene 10

Kara: The colours of this strange ghostly forest twist and turn around you, one moment black, one moment green then brown and then the colours spin again. It's like you're trapped in a kaleidoscope. Your head swims and spins along with the patterns and for a moment you see her. Allison. The face you've been looking for all along. And is that David? He has hold of her and he's going to take her from you. They're all trying to take her from you. You can see them but can't touch them can't touch her. Can't have what you want. But you can do something to stop them right? What do you do?

Allison David, Why is it always David. He's clearly jealous of what you have. What you and Kara have had?. Even now he seems to think that he's something more than odious little creep. That you might be interested in him, that you might even want him. That's ridiculous isn't it? He just doesn't know when to take no for answer. He keeps wandering around like a little lost puppy getting into more and more trouble. Still now he's in your world your domain and he's dragged Kara with him. Which is more important to you punishing him or finding her?

Cassie Caitlin goes down like a poleaxed steer and you hear the sickening sound of at least one bone breaking. I think you might have hit her just a little bit too hard. not that she didn't deserve it the beast whispers to you. Still she's breathing so she'll probably recover right? And mission loving accomplished there's Allison and you're just starting to think about all the things you could do to celebrate.... and then David appears out of nowhere completely ruining the moment. Dammit. Still shouldn't you get everyone out of here before someone else comes to find out what's going on? Can you even find your way back to where you came in? What do you do?

David Wow trippy. The world is a riot of a colours it's like your stood in the most beautiful forest you've ever seen a beautiful girl on each arm and in paradise what's not to love. You could stay here for ever and relax just relax... But the little treacherous voice inside you continues to whisper "this isn't what you came for." Do you listen to the voice? Or do you ignore it and just relax in this most perfect of places?

Gabrielle The light is first blinding and then shifts. You're stood in a bathroom cracked and dingy but the mirrors shine bright and clear. You find yourself glancing at them but it's not your reflection you see through your light enhanced senses. No it's a portal a vortex of roaring energy and somewhere on the other side is Allison separated from you by the fraction of an inch that is the mirror. If only you could unlock it if only you had the key.... But you don't do you you have something better your own key. Your staff's glow fades and you're back in the dingy little alley. Confronted by Oscar the grouches crueller meaner more inbred cousin. "And people say I'm weird." he snorts "I'm not the one glowing. Is that normal with you human types?" Wait glowing? you notice you're surrounded by a faint white light. Has anything like this happened before? What do you do?

Frankie: Eh seems right. Still look on the brightside. You've landed yourself in a world of trouble. But hey at least you've got a really cute girlfriend out of it. A really cute girlfriend that's glowing with a faint white aura. Wait a minute? You feel Doc opening out his senses and you hear what sounds like half muffled swearing and then..nothing. It's like he's gone. Like he was never there. Ok this is getting weirder by the second. What do you do?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Hot: 2 | Cold: -1 | Volatile: 2 | Dark: -1 | Conditions: None

"Yeah yeah, you know I'm not a normal human Pete. Thanks for your help." I wave a hand vaguely at him and head out and away. "Come on Frankie, I know where we need to go." A mirror. That's not at all what I expected, but... hey. Someone trapped her in a mirror, or every mirror, maybe. Probably for a limited area, but enough to get our neighborhood in Chicago anyway. Once I'm away from Pete though, I do let myself worry about about the glow. It's not the first time it's happened, but that's usually at night, when I'm transformed. This isn't ideal. "Right, Frankie, know anywhere with a public restroom nearby we can get to without a bunch of people staring at the glow? It'll get us in where we need to go, but I can't stop it until then."

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

Now that I think about and, uh, am holding Cassie's and Allie's hand, this place actually seems kind of nice. Relaxing, comfortable, but still... vast, exciting, not like a warm room when it's raining outside but like a big, sun-drenched lake and you sunning yourself on a boat. Or, I guess, it's like a big... sunny... forest. Like the one I'm standing in right now. Okay, that was kind of stupid. But all of that is going through my head, and it feels like I've been standing here for a while - but it can't have been that long - but it kinda makes me notice Cassie and Allie haven't said anything. Should I say something? Somehow, I'm suddenly sure it'd ruin the moment, I wouldn't be able to think of something good anyway, so I just smile at them. And I actually feel like smiling!

This is nice. And, and I deserve something nice, right? I was doing something but, it can wait for a second, probably. It's like in a photo, or some really slow moving video clip - I can see every mote of dust in the rays of sunshine falling through the canopy. Funny how in forests that's totally cool, but if you're not in a forest it kind of makes you cough. Uh, where was I? I focus back on the two girls in front of me, but before I can, I catch something out of the corner of my eyes. I frown, and my eyes stray. "Uh." I blink. I was feeling kind of weird there for a second, but something else grabbed my attention now, and I can't ignore it, even though I might want to. "Uh. What happened to Caitlin anyway? ...is she okay?"

The whole thing seems strange to me now, while just a few seconds ago everything just seemed so... right. "Why is she here? What is happening?"

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Hot: 0 Cold: -1 Volatile: 1 Dark: 1
Harm: 0/4 Exp: 0/5 Conditions:

I don't think 'cute' really works for Gabrielle. Even if you stick 'really' in front of it. She's way past cute, honestly. I think 'beautiful' works best, personally. Well, lots of other words are great too, but those all sound kinda corny, even if they are totally true. I mean I've said it a ton already but I still can't believe I'm with a girl like her. I still need to figure out what we're gonna do once we can get time to have a proper date, too. Hmm... Hey Doc, I know you said you had better things to do than help me with my love life, but can yo- wait what the gently caress?!

I notice a few things all at once. Gabrielle is back, and she's glowing. Mr. Tobin left at some point, which is good, considering the glowing. And finally, my head is empty! Not the kinda empty like when Doc is out doing his thing, where I can still feel a bit of him in the back, ready in case I need a boost or whatever. This is gone gone. With a capital G! What?! Doc! Doc if you're fuckin' with me right now it's not funny! I mean yeah, you got me really good but gently caress it's not funny to me! Doc! Doc! DOC! DOC! ... Nothing. Oh gently caress.

Oh Gabrielle's asking me things. Right. Things to do. Right.

"Uh, ther- uh... We can probably get to the ones at the park without running into too many people. Uh Gabrielle? We uh, kinda have a problem. Doc's gone."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

"The park, right." Good thinking. You can tell how often I've had to use public facilities while magical girling, that is to say, never. Wait, what? "Gone? I thought he was like... a voice that talked to you... from... wherever. How can he be gone?" Obviously someone could have killed him or exorcised him or something, but that seems unlikely... "Did he say anything was happening?"

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Something snaps inside me as I try to fathom my situation and location. All hell breaks loose, like an hourglass smashed open, and I'm the one stuck trying to endlessly shovel the sand back in with my hands. But the grains keep slipping between my fingers and the broken glass is cutting me and I'm just drowning in the endless sand. I gag, spin, and collapse onto the ground. Hours pass. Maybe even days. But just as quickly as the feeling came, it suddenly leaves—and I'm just lying here on this perfectly manicured grass and cool night air. Only the smell is all wrong—this isn't Chicago. It's probably not even Planet Earth.

I sigh, raising my head from the ground-

-and there everybody is. Allie! David! Cassie? And they're talking about... Caitlyn?

gently caress it, I don't even care. I push myself up off the ground and run—sprint—towards Allie. I laugh, cry, "Allie! You're okay!" However as my arms reach for her... as they... pass right through...

What... what is this? I can't touch her... again. And she can't even hear me! Again! And David's holding her hand. Something surges through me. Something... primal. Anger. Darker. Rage. No. NO. NOT AGAIN.

16:13 Ferg kara unresolved trauma
16:13 Ferg .roll 2d6+1
16:13 Platonibot Ferg: 10 (2d6+1=5, 4)
David and Cassie both gain the Blamed condition

It's all their fault. It's all because of them. David and Cassie. They did this to me. They made me this way. Cassie's hands are still wrapped tightly around my neck. And David's around my body, my shoulders. I scream. Again and again and again. I keep reaching for Allie's hand and mine just passes right through. This isn't right. To get this far, to be here... wherever this is. And still to be so far away. I howl up into the sky.

I may be dead, but those two are loving dead.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Harm: 0/4 Exp: 0/5 Conditions:

"I don't know how but he's gone gone! When he goes off to do whatever I can still tell he's there but this is like before! There's nothing there! One second it sounds like he's swearing on the other side of a wall and then nothing!"

Oh gently caress what am I gonna do? I need Doc to be any kind of useful to Gabrielle!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

This... isn't good. I can't take Frankie with me into trouble if he doesn't have any powers at all now! "You can't... contact him at all then? Maybe you can reach out to him somehow? Do you have any leftover power from when he was with you maybe?" I don't really know how to help him here.

Take +1 forward to gazing about this, I guess

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Harm: 0/4 Exp: 1/5 Conditions:

Do I have any leftover power? I don't know! It's not like I paid any attention to how it felt when Doc did his things, that was his area, not mine! But... maybe Gabrielle is right, maybe I can reach out to him. She'd know right? I mean, she is all magical and stuff, not to mention way more experienced with this kinda stuff. So maybe it'll work. It's worth a shot, I guess.

But how do I do it? I usually just talk to Doc, but he's gone so I don't think that'll work... I guess I'll just... think real hard and see what happens? Aw geez.

[10:51:24] <ShootaBoy> Gaze about Doc
[10:51:32] <ShootaBoy> !r 2d6+1
[10:51:33] <Krysmbot> ShootaBoy, 7+1 = 8
Gabrielle's help brings that to a 9. I'm gonna go with confusing and alarming, 'cause those are more fun. Marking Exp from Dark.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

David "She had a little.... accident." Cassie says with a very very toothy grin that reminds you uncomfortably of exactly the last time you saw her with her teeth out. You're just getting your bearings when the world descends into chaos. The wind picks up and seems to howl, and you're almost blown away. Pushed back by the sheer destructive force of it. It feels oddly like it's targeting you specifically. No not just you, Cassie seems to be struggling with it too. What do you do?

Kara You scream out in terror as their hands go around your vulnerable and battered body. As they drag you away from Allison again, You push with all your might struggling and squirming to break their hold on you. With one last almighty heave you force them off you. But they're still there, still circling around her. Still after Allie. Still trying to hurt you. What do you do?

Frankie You reach out straining your brain, straining every last one of your senses. And you feel something, like you're the disembodied spirit floating in someone's head. You here doc's voice, all around you "Sorry kid, but you failed. Technical knock out in the 10th round. You couldn't go the distance, you never could really. you've always been a failure, couldn't cut it as a boxer, couldn't cut it as a kid, couldn't even cut it as a boyfriend. I did my best to put you back on the straight and narrow. You could have been somebody, you could've been a contender. But instead you're you. So I'm off I'm going to find somewhere a little more comfortable to set up shop. Good luck with the rest of your screwed up life." Then the connection goes dead. And you feel alone, hollow. Like there's something missing. Something you didn't even realise you had. What do you do?

enter your darkest self if you want

Gabrielle Well poo poo. On the one hand if your boyfriend has lost his demonic co-pilot that has to be a good thing right? On the other well, there could hardly be a worse time for it than now could there. And you're still no closer to finding Allison than when you started are you. Still as you're on your way towards the park you notice frankie stop dead in his tracks, he looks pale, almost sick. What do you do?

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

Oh, okay, like, did Caitlin trip? I mean, we are in a forest and... And... And Cassie's grin, the way she says it, like it's something funny and she's letting me in on the joke, sends a shiver down my spine. And it's like all the light drains away and only leaves her grin alight, like her white, white teeth are the only source of light around, drawing me in, and suddenly it all is not funny at all any more. Because, because, we're in a forest, which is worse than a park, because I haven't seen any end to it, and Cassie once again sees someone who is hurt - I have to force myself to think it, to correct myself: someone she hurt. And once again, it's like it's no big deal! Like, like, 'oh yeah, I beat up and terrify people, but why the hell are you making such a fuss?'.

And to think I felt sorry, wanted to apologize! She should apologize! I'm shouting in my head, but on the outside I... well, uh, I probably suddenly look rather nervous. "Did... did you hurt her?" Was Allison around for that too? What... what have I gotten myself into? I wish I knew where Kara was, I mean, to know she's safe but also, well, so I can feel safe too? Because right now I don't feel safe. Right now, it's like some invisible force is trying to press me down, push me around and... whoa!

That, that's not, like, some metaphorical force, that's the wind! Is this a hurricane? In a forest? But, uh, hurricanes can't sneak up on you like that, can they, or where we in the eye of the storm or... "Aaaaaah!" My thoughts are cut short as a gust of wind pushes me backwards, and my foot gets tangled up in some wood stuff and I, uh, fall onto my back. Oh, pfft, I almost swallowed some leaf! I spit. Maaaaan... But this wind isn't letting up! I slid over the ground - at least it's soft moss? - and grab for some root, holding fast. What is going on?! And, and, wait, what? Allie looks like she's having no problems at all? This makes no sense! Does the wind have it out for me now?

My brain flashes me some half-recalled memory of some old story, with the wind blowing, and, and... pigs' houses? And Cassie, only now she's all... monster, like in the park, like a wolf and... wait, no, that's stupid, brain! Jeez, that's not helpful at all! "Help!" Can they even hear me? Cassie is being hit by the wind too? Wait, I'm losing my grip on that root, it's slippery, whoooa!

I skid over the ground, on my back, where am I going? Is the wind.. pushing me somewhere? But once again, I have no time to think and instead, I slam into another mighty tree trunk, ending up wrapped around it like some cheap car. Ow, my head... I think my back caught most of it but, now I feel woozy... I close my eyes, force them open again, I, I can't take a nap now. I have to, to figure out what's going on, who has it out for me, again, for some reason...

nilPhone: David Gaze
nilPhone: !r 2d6+2
Krysmbot: nilPhone, 7+2 = 9
MC: Question: "What is up with the wind?" Confusing and alarming.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

The wind swirls around me and before I can move, it grabs me - with hands and claws. I gasp, struggling and flailing against the ice-cold fingers as they tear and rip imaginary holes into my clothing. I scream and cry and shove, pushing them away, pushing them off of me. I can finally open my eyes and... I can still feel them, somehow, swirling around me, waiting for a moment of weakness to dart back in. I can barely see past them - somewhere out there is Allie...

If only I could attack them back - but I can't touch anything.... wait... if they can touch me... I don't even hesitate. I muster all I can - this stupid dumb ghost body and all the stupid things that have happened to it - and I recall back to when I lifted Cassie up off her feet and across the clearing. I can do this. I'm not human anymore - but that doesn't mean I can't hurt whatever these are.

12:45 Ferg kara lash out
12:45 Ferg .roll 2d6-1
12:45 Platonibot Ferg: 7 (2d6-1=5, 3)
Or at least, trying to.
Choosing to deal 1 harm... and can I pick go DS and have nothing happen? If not, I'll take 1 back.

Let's do this - I shove back against them, forcefully, aggressively, trying to channel all the anger I've had today.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Harm: 0/4 Exp: 2/5 Conditions:

Finally going Darkest Self. Thanks to Unstable I get to mark Exp.

What? But...but, no, what? I don't... why? Suddenly, I'm tired. So loving tired. I can feel myself sag, and I can tell that if it weren't for my knack for staying on my feet, I'd have dropped. This is the worst possible time for this to happen. Gabrielle needs my help right now, and I dunno if I can do that now. And... and was he right? Am I a failure at everything? I thought I was finally on an upswing? I got an amazing girlfriend, a weird group of sorta friends, and I was all ready for my fight, my first win. How is all that something a failure would have?

"Gabby." gently caress I even sound tired. "Have I been a bad boyfriend?"

I don't know about the other things, but this I can prove right now. I can't have been a bad boyfriend... can I?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Yeah, this is definitely a good thing, in general. But if it was going to happen, couldn't it have waited like... A day or two? That would have been a lot better. Maybe it'll come back if Frankie gets into trouble? I don't know if I'm willing to risk that though, I might have to leave him behind outside the mirror. Debating the courses of action, it takes a moment before I realize he's stopped, and is not standing a couple feet behind me, looking ill. I turn back, looking concerned, and then immediately look even more concerned when he asks if he's been a bad boyfriend. "What? No!" I hurry back to him and wrap my arms around, hugging him tight. "Why would you think that? You've been wonderful, amazing, no, you've been the perfect boyfriend! You've always had my back in this supernatural garbage we're stuck dealing with, and your kind, a good kisser, you put up with me being... you know... in bed..." I'm going a little red, but he knows. They say guys are horn-dogs, but I'm not sure most of them could keep up with me like Frankie does.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

I lean into Gabby's hug, grateful beyond words for her being here. For her telling me that I haven't been a bad boyfriend, that I've done good. But even that only does so much to take away from what Doc said.

"It's Doc. Said that I was poo poo at everything. That I was a crappy boxer, and a terrible boyfriend."

I do what I can to pull myself together. We don't have time for this right now.

"But no, it-it's not important. We've got stuff to do still."

I do my best to give her a confident smile, but it probably just looks fake and tired.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

"Ha! Could a crappy boxer have had by back against a werewolf last night? You shouldn't listen to demonic spirits or whatever he was anyway, you're better off without him." Well, better off in every sense but the 'going into supernatural danger' one. "But yeah, you're right. We need to go get to this bathroom so I can go into the mirror world and save Allison." I lean in to give him a reassuring kiss, and then slip my arm around him again and head off towards our destination again.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

"Yeah. Let's go save our friend."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

I nod in firm agreement, and off we go. It doesn't take too long to get there, luckily, and it looks like the place is empty. The mirror is still there though. "Okay Frankie, boyfriend," I grin, kiss him again, "wait here, I'll be back as soon as I can!" I step away from him, putting my glowing fingers up to the mirror, and lean in, trying to fall through into this mirror world binding Allison.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Scene 10 Continued

David The wind swirls violently around you knocking you off your feet. take one harm as the pain hits you it brings a moment of clarity, Nothing is natural in this place. It's all false it's all fake. Even the wind is not real. In fact it's naggingly familiar. It feels hot and gentle on your cheek even as it slams violently into the rest of you. And it reminds you of someone, reminds you of her. What do you do?

Gabrielle The light streams through you and you step through the mirror, through to the other world. A forest filled with vibrant colours, enticing smells and some of the most beautiful sounds you've ever heard. For a moment you feel like you're in paradise then you see them. David, Cassie and is it.. Yes it is Allison. She looks a little worse for wear but mostly intact. Do you feel a bit disappointed that you didn't get to play the hero? That david and Cassie beat you to it? What do you say? What do you do?

Kara You smash them to the ground. All of them. This is your place, your life and they are not going to take it from you. Are they? Suddenly out of nowhere. Gabrielle appears, standing tall and proud. Do you hate her for trying to defy you? What are you going to do with her?

Frankie You turn intending to follow Gabrielle through the mirror. But as you try all you feel is the cold and cool surface of the mirror. It's just a mirror for you Not a portal to anywhere. And that's when it hits you, you're here alone. Alone for the first time in a long time. What's it like to be lonely again? Still you have gabrielle to cling to right what do you do to pass the time until she hopefully returns?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Man, this place is nice. Pretty and stuff. Shame whoever made it is probably a slavering bugblatter beast or something. And Nope, definitely not annoyed that they got here first. What I am is really surprised - how the hell did they figure out how to get here at all?! Cassie suuuuure, maaaaaybe. She's at least got weird werewolf stuff like moon magic, which is basically just star magic but way weaker, which is what I use. So that's sort of understandable. But David... Ugh, whatever. Don't have time to worry about this. Whoever kidnapped Allison is probably going to be coming to get her back, or to stop us or whatever. My words reflect my thoughts, "How the hell did - actually nevermind, we can figure that out later. Good work finding her, now lets get out of here!" I run over to Allison, bending over to help her up off the ground, pulling her arm across my shoulder. "Come on Allie, lets get out of here!"

Everyone takes one forward to getting out of here, via light the way

[14:59:47] <goshfish> turn on Allie
[14:59:49] <goshfish> !r 2d6+2
[14:59:50] <Krysmbot> goshfish, 4+2 = 6
[14:59:54] <goshfish> woooop
Spending a string to make that a 7!

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

XP: 3/5 | Harm: 2/4 | Conditions:

My head hits some part of the tree, just as I was nodding off like an idiot and it''s... it's, I don't know, like I've been half sleep-walking, my brain still half-stuck with the dream I had but now I put my head under the cold shower and even though it doesn't feel good you don't even really have time to think about that and instead everything is... clear, you know? And so I sit up, blink, and look, actually look at where I am, and it's... fake. It's pretty and all, maybe actually too pretty, maybe that's the problem - it's like some high class old painting or something, and I'm in some art gallery looking at it, but, uh, I'm inside the painting.

Does that make sense? Uh, not really, but not a whole lot less sense than actually being in some magical forest I travelled to with Kara, so really... Kara! Kara, she, she has something to do with the wind, and, and she's still missing! I mean, wind isn't by itself bad, like, you'd want that if you are, I don't know, climbing a mountain and, and... the wind knocked me head against the tree and that's what made me see that this is all, all not real. And Kara! So, uh, maybe Kara is behind the wind, because she's well, because of what she is?

Or, uh, maybe the wind has imprisoned Kara, somehow? Is there a fairy tale like that? I mean, I don't think of her like some princess, but, with the forest and a wolf and all that... Oh, I don't know! But I need to do something, and really, Cassie and Allison will be no help. At best. I mean, they did something to Caitlin... Oh, I have to help Caitlin too! And me just being me, lost in some, some, magical place that is fake or something. But, but I have to try, don't I? Not like anyone i's going to help me.

Oh! Where did Gabby come from!? I admit, I'm not even that surprised, it's like everyone just appears in this forest for no reason. But, but - and I suddenly feel better at the thought - if Gabby is here Frankie must be here too, right? Despite everything, he's still my friend and I know he won't be weird like everyone else, help me take care of Caitlin and find Kara, somehow, and...

I, I can't see him. The windetails seems to be blowing harder, back against the ground, and I don't bother getting up again for a moment. Oh, and Gabby is helping the only one here that isn't being blown around by the wind or is actually unconscious, no, she runs over to Allie! Well, I, I suppose, Allie was missing, but still... I shouldn't assume right away, maybe Gabby wants to help... And I need help finding Kara, anyway. And watch Cassie!

"Oh, hey, Gabby!" I wave with my arm - bad idea, almost fell down! I stumble over to her - is the win letting up? "We, uh, found Allie, but, but now Kara is missing! We have to find her!" Am I shouting? I have to make sure she hears me over the wind, still not there yet. "And, uh, Caitlin..." I bite my tongue. It's, it's not that I'm afraid, but it'd be... stupid to say something with Cassie around, right? Okay, a bit afraid. "She's hurt and, uh, someone should.." My eyes shift, is Cassie behind me? "...Watch her."

I'm babbling, moving my arms too much. So we can't leave yet, Kara, and, and, where's Frankiemust anyway, I thought he'd be with yaaaaaggghhh!" Oh no, there's some wet leaves and the wind suddenly is blowing again and I didn't pay attention, didn't use my arms to keep my balance and I'm falling and, whoa, just out of instinct I grab something and ooof!

Oh. Uh, I, uh, dragged Gabby down with me and I landed on her, and I'm on top of her, and, and... at least she landed in some moss? That's soft, like some nice bed. Uhhh! Not that I want to, I mean, now I'm embarrassed and I'm sheepishly smiling at her. "Sorry. Just so clumsy..."

<nilPhone> David Turn On Gabby
<nilPhone> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> nilPhone, 6+2 = 8
Promise / (symbolic) string / give self?

nil. fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Dec 22, 2016

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

What? No. No! I'm supposed to be helping her! Not standing here like some... some kinda useless loving tool! I thump the mirror with my fist, but it just stays glass, or whatever mirrors are made of. I don't fall through and end up where I'm supposed to be, with my girlfriend, saving my friends life. Dammit! Hey Do- oh. Right.

I'm... I'm alone. Actually alone. I guess I... kinda forgot what it's like. I've been so used to having Doc around, and then I've also been around Gabrielle constantly since I first ran into her skipping class. Do I even know how to be alone anymore? I don't know.

I guess I just... wait?

God I'm a useless gently caress.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

"LEAVE ME!" I shout, flailing at the spirits around me, scattering them to the winds, freeing me from their grasp. I gasp at the sudden violence of it all - what am I? My harsh, ragged breaths give way to sobs and tears, but I wipe them away quickly, my chest still heaving as I try to calm myself down.

With sudden clarity, I see figures on the other end of the clearing. Allison - surrounded by David... by Gabbie... by Cassie. All sharing embrace that should be mine. I growl, my thoughts turning darkly as the anger returns. I don't deserve this, I don't deserve any of it. And David and Gabbie and Cassie - they're trying to take what's mine. I reach down and grab some rocks - small ones, but enough to drive them off.

I walk towards them quickly, throwing rocks at them as I do. I can't touch them - I know that - but they'll feel my anger anyway.

Throwing rocks. I honestly loving hate the Ghost DS. Nothing feels narratively plausible or dramatic enough. It all feels like a cop out.

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

Oh man, I need to get off. Uh, I mean get off Gabby! No, wait, wait, I need to get off of - nevermind! This is so embarrassing, especially since Gabby isn't saying anything, and I'm not doing anything and... "I'll, I'll just..." I finally scramble back onto my feet, covered in leaves, even despite the wind. "Sorry. Sorry." I was an honest accident! Honest accident? Is that something you say? Well, uh, in any case, it's not something that's the most important thing to think about right now, right now it's important I figure out where Kara is, somehow protect Caitlin from Cassie and find out what's up with this wind. Wait, did the wind go away?

I start to turn around to face Gabby again - it's stupid, but she's the one here that's a least trying to help, right? Maybe not help me, but Kara, and Caitlin. "Hey, did the wind-"

Owww! My head! I immediately put a hand to the back of my head, are these trees dropping, like, giant acorns? No, someone is... throwing rocks?! Oh, what the hell, Cassie, what's gotten into you - huh. I have turned around, to look at who's decided to throw actual drat rocks at me, Cassie or Allie or, or, the wind! You know, I'm getting a little fed up with all of this and, and I have half a mind to pick that rock up again and just throw it back at them! Although, uh, that'd be pretty stupid if it was the wind... But, anyway, I turn around and, it's definitely not Cassie or Allie, the rocks are just... floating in the air? Huh?

I stare at that and I don't know what to say. I mean, I probably shouldn't be surprised by anything any more, but I guess I still am. Why are there rocks floating in- ow! Ow, ow ow! I get peppered again, and on the plus side, it doesn't hit my head again, one the minus side, I probably look like some dweeb that's really scared of getting hit in dodgeball. Maaaan, everything has it out for me! The wind, floating rocks, how is any of that fair? Or makes any sense? I wish I was back at Allie's house, with Kara, sure things weren't all nice there, but at least they made a little sense!

Kara...

Those rocks, they are floating in the air, like someone is holding them. Like, with telekinesis? Wait, no, that's stupid. More like - ow! How am I supposed to think with rocks flying at me?! Okay, think, David, think, it's probably really obvious and you're just being stupid, it's like... like, uh, like someone invisible! Yes! And people say I'm stupi- owwwww! It hit my head again. I double over, holding my head in my hands. But... if it's someone invisible, it could only be... No. No, no, no, that makes no sense. She, she wouldn't do something like that. Or would she? She did say I didn't really understand her. And with that, there's suddenly another pain inside me, one in my heart. But, I suppose, it distract me from the mundane one in my head, and really, pain like that, it goes away. It's not so important. But... could it be?

I stand up and force myself to not hold out my arms in front of me, to protect myself from more rocks. I take a step towards where I think... she is. Look in her direction, if she's there. Shouldn't I know if she is, shouldn't I be able to feel it? Feel her heartbeat? Shouldn't I be able to at least do that, even if I'm no good at anything else? My voice is a mixture between sadness, and hope - appropriate for who I'm trying to talk to, I suppose. "...Kara?"

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5 | Conditions: Drained

A rock flies directly at David's head.

08:34 Ferg kara shut down david
08:34 Ferg .roll 2d6+1
08:34 Platonibot Ferg: 11 (2d6+1=5, 5)
David loses a String on Kara
Marking experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

I think I - owwww! Ow, man, ouch! Right in the head again! I stagger backwards and just, just cover my head with my arms, like someone has me down on the ground and is kicking me. Which, really, isn't that different from how this feels! "Not cool..." I'm not sure anyone actually heard that, which, which really wouldn't be that bad, because that's... pretty lame. And I'm fighting back tears. Not, not big ones, mind you, just - it hurts, okay? Not that anyone wants to listen what I have to say anyway. Just throwing rocks and insults and punches when I do. Sometimes I don't even know why I try any more...

But, but that's what it is with Kara, isn't it? Okay, yeah, all the other stuff, it's hard for me to really... care about it, but, it's, it's Kara, right? The one thing that's important, or, well, at least, important to me. Something bigger than all of this... stupid, unimportant stuff! Okay, I said 'important' enough now. That's the thing, though, right? Even though it sucks and I'm kinda actually slightly getting pissed off, because there's only so many punches and rocks someone can take and - uh, anyway, I have to try! It's Kara! And, uh, maybe this is me finally being able to help her? I'm not sure what's going on with her, but... I have to try. Have to.

"Kara! Kara, if that's you.. can you... stop throwing rocks, please?" I peek out from beneath my protective arms. "Are you angry? I, I mean, you're throwing rocks, so you must be..." I'm talking to empty air, maybe. Not sure, is it weirder if I'm maybe talking with myself if other people are around, like Gabby and Cassie? Or is that better? "Can you just... just talk with us? With me? I, I'm sure we can figure something out, and I'll try not to be mad at you either!" I bite my tongue. Did, did I just add 'try' there? I didn't mean to, I think, I wanted to reassure her. But... my head hurts and I think one of my hands came back from my head with a bit of blood and, and everybody should stop being such an rear end in a top hat to me, okay?! Not, not that Kara is an rear end in a top hat, just... it's a complicated situation! Probably!

"I, I'd like to at least know you're safe..." I scratch the back of my head - then flinch. Is that gonna come back red too? Aw, man. "Come on..." I smile, try to be a little joking, even though it's pained. "It looks like I'm talking with a tree. I look like an idiot. Just.. let's just... I just want you to be alright."

nil. fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 5, 2017

• Locked thread