Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Hot: +2 | Cold: +1 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: -1
XP: 2/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions:

YES! It worked! I love it when my plans actually work - which, I might add, they almost always do, unless my Parents get involved for some reason. But not only is she thankful for what I did for her, she's even going to trust me with some greater secret problem of hers. Bet if I help her with this, our friendship is assured, and I'll be able to start figuring out just what it is about her that I find so intriguing. It should be assured already, but I'm willing to make a special exception for her.

Trying to not look too eager, I glance off to the side for a moment, as if there's something going on over there that's roughly as interesting as Allison is. Can't let her think she has some advantage over me or anything, though one of the only upsides to being stuck at a horrid school like this is the vast majority of students here know that I'm better than they are. Hopefully Allison is one of those people.

Smiling a secret smile, as if I just gleaned some massive insight that everyone else in the world is too dumb to understand while watching a pair of juniors talk about homework , I return my attention to the cute girl that's soon to be one of my friends. "I do have better things I could be doing.... but even so, I'm willing to do whatever it takes to help you out, I promise." Well, almost whatever.

Marking XP for Lure. Also suggesting that this counts as Leanan Sidhe, so if Allison accepts Caitlin's help, going to roll for it.

(Rauri-phone) Nown - is Allison accepting Caitlin's help? Can roll for Leanan Sidhe now if so
(Nown) Yes
(Rauri-phone) !r 2d6+2
(Krysmbot) Rauri-phone, 7+2 = 9
(Rauri-phone) Huzzah
Allison picks up Yours Truly

Rauri fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Hot 1 Cold -1 Vol -1 Dark 2
XP: 2/5 Harm: 0/4 Conditions: Yours Truly

YES! It worked! That was almost too easy! I'm cheering in my head until she makes the promise. Argh, that changes things a bit. You can't just... abuse someone's trust after a promise! It doesn't matter who it is, it's just not right! And she's so eager about it, too, aaaaaargh!

So my smile fades, just a bit. "Uh... well..." fuckfuckfuck here goes nothing... "I want to know how Frankie can heal himself up so quickly after all his fights. You're resourceful, so you can help with that, right?" Don't ask why I want to know that, please don't ask why I want to know that...

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Hot -1, Cold 2, Volatile 1, Dark -1
XP: 2/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: Insignificant

I can feel something changing in the atmosphere, a newfound tenseness, and there's something curt in Kara's words that makes my stomach drop. Christ, she likes him, doesn't she? And I basically just said... poo poo. I assumed she was maybe afraid, needed someone in her corner, but... okay. poo poo. Let's just try and salvage this and keep my resolve not to make this any worse.

"Okay," I say, stepping towards the door. "What's your next period? ... and, uh... okay, so I know you probably don't want advice from me, but... with David, I think you should be honest, however you feel. I think he's the kind of guy who respects honesty, you know?" My eyes are averted, but there's still something even and unashamed in my voice -- a legitimate attempt to be nice and make up for this, but also... something else, something fueled by the thing inside me that likes to have its advice followed.

Triggering Temptation on Kara to be honest with David. She gets +1 forward to doing it, and I get XP or a string on her when she does it.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Hot: 0 Cold: 1 Volatile: -1 Dark: 1
Harm 1/4 Exp 3/5 Conditions:

Phew, she isn't pushing about the nurse thing. I breathe a sigh of relief, and head for the door. Sharona interrupts one more time, however, telling me to be honest with David. I pause...honest?

No, I can't be honest. I could never be honest with him. He'd... the truth would destroy him. It would destroy me too, for that matter. Nobody can know... what I am. I can feel myself start to get angry again... the same anger that lashed out at David, that left this bruise on my head. I catch myself before it gets worse.

Wait... could she have meant simply to be honest about my feelings for David? I blink and consider the possibility. Do I even have feelings for David? I'm not even sure. For a second back there, it did feel like... like he loved me, and that he'd understand. That he could see past all my poo poo. And... and if I ever do get a chance at love, that's the kind of person I'd need to have... right?

Maybe I can just tell him how I feel. That he needs to take it slow, needs to get to know me first before... rushing into things. And when... if things get more real, well, figuring that stuff out then. Maybe it would even help just being around somebody willing to talk about more than grades and baseball. Maybe I could feel... alive again. Or maybe he might reach for me and phase through and scream and run away!

I shake my head in resignation. I look at the thin girl as we head out the door. "Sharona... you make me think too much," I say with a chuckle, "We should hang out more."

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Scene 2 Continued

Bathroom crew

Kara: Huh at least you seem to have made a friend. Or at least someone you can talk to and ask for advice. That's good right but there's still a couple of flies in the ointment of your (un)life, How are you going to make things up with David? I mean he probably thinks your crazy or worse, And how are you going to explain your decision not to go to the nurses office?

Sharona: So, do you really see Kara as a friend. Or is she just another pawn to you someone to order around? Either way what do you think of her interest in David? Do you want him for yourself?

Homeroom crew

David: "Hmph, Well if it wasn't you that upset her then who was it then?" She asks impatiently Do you admit that you don't know who it was and take the blame yourself or do you throw someone else to the wolves? Either way Miss Mayne pushes you out of the classroom with a curt warning that she's watching you and a reminder to keep your nose clean. Do you go straight to your next class or do you try to find Kara?

Miss Mayne will agree you had nothing to do with it providing you lay the blame on someone else

Gabrielle: After what seems an eternally long wait David finally walks out of the classroom looking grim. He obviously knows he's done something wrong... Do you hit him there and then or do you give him a chance to explain his actions first?

Actually their way to class crew

Caitlin: Well is that the most unusual request for a favour you've ever had? Why do you think she wants to know. and do you have any idea how you could even begin to find that out? Why do you feel obliged to follow it are you that desperate that needy to have a friend.

Caitlin gets the condition Needy

Allison: So there it is out in the open. She probably thinks your crazy. Still a promise is a promise right? If she didn't mean it she shouldn't have said it. As the two of you turn the corner towards the classroom you almost walk right into Frankie. How convenient. He seems lost in thought almost daydreaming. What do you say to him?

Frankie: "Don't have a name for the kid. Just a description. Tall, blonde hair, pretty boy." Doc tells you. "Not my usual line of work which is why I'm subcontracting well that and not having any fists of my own these days. Guy wants his face rearranging for not paying his debts, oh and there's a message to deliver." "what was it... eh it'll come to me sooner or later" Does that description sound like anyone you know? "Anyway it needs to be done today for some reason or we don't get paid." And then you shake your head to clear it and find Allison and Caitlin in front of you what do you say?

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

XP: 2/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: Desperate

That's, uh, an odd request for her to have. Still, if I'd known Frankie actually does what she just described to me, I'd have looked into him myself. This is an unexpected but welcome bonus to winning Allison's friendship - which I'm increasingly convinced I want because it's one of the only things I've ever wanted and not immediately gotten. As far as possessions and people go, anyways. "Of course," I reply to her, smiling at our mutual good fortune. It's lucky for both of us she confided in me - of course I can get to the bottom of this.

Speak of the devil I guess, no sooner do we round the corner than Frankie's here! Seemingly not paying attention to things, perhaps punch drunk? I have no idea how long that lasts, as if you'd ever see me exchanging blows with any of the riffraff here. I'd get someone else to do it on my behalf, certainly, and at the minimum there's no chance I'd ever allow myself to be injured.

Not one to question the convenience of this situation, I offer Allision a sly smile, then turn the entity of my focus and majesty and presence on Frankie. I've helped him before, he owes me some answers - not that I'm going to point that out, of course. It's something he should know already. Regardless, I'm the picture of perfection as I offer him a dazzling grin, truly so pleased to see him. "Frankie - there's something we need to talk about later. You have time, right?" Of course he does, everyone would make time for me if I asked them to. "It's about you."

<Rawri> Turn on Frankie
<Rawri> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Rawri, 7+2 = 9
Self / Promise / String?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Hot: 0 Cold: -1 Volatile: 1 Dark: 1
Harm:0/4 Exp: 2/5 Conditions: Distracted Drained

Great, so I gotta find a guy that I don't know, today, and all I got to go on is a description. Wonderful. A tall, blonde, pretty boy. That fits David, but it can't be him or Doc'd have said something during that thing back there. Only other guy that comes to mind then is.... gently caress whatshisname. Uhhh... Henderson! From the basketball team! What was his first name again? A something. A... uhh. Aaron! Probably. Anyway, he's not like the star player or anything, but he is playing a lot better than last year, so maybe he made a deal sorta like mine? Well whatever he did I guess he's decided he can get away without holdin' up his end of the bargain. And Doc forgot the message I'm supposed to give him. Fuckin' A.

And then I'm blindsided by Allison and Caitlin. poo poo I was really not payin' attention to walking, I almost ran right into them. I'm about to open my mouth to say something, probably 'sorry', when Caitlin beats me to it. Uh, the saying something part, not the sorry part. That... that uh... that almost sounds like a date. What? No. No it's gotta be something else. Anyway, if she hadn't specifically said my name, I'd be looking over my shoulder to see who she was talking to. As it is I barely keep the 'uh me?' in and settle instead for, "Uh...well, I'm kinda really busy today, but alright I guess? As long as it doesn't take too long, I've got training to do an all."

Giving Caitlin what he thinks she wants, a date meeting.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Apr 17, 2016

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Hot: 1 | Cold: -1 | Volatile: 2 | Dark: -1 | Conditions: None

Wow, I'm not a psychopath, of course I don't just punch him as soon as he's out into the hall! Also, it's not like I was going to punch him in the first place. That gets a message across by not really the specific one I want. No. What I do do is to walk along side him a little ways until we're not near any teachers, then I tap him on the shoulder. "Hey David..." Once he turns, I grab him by the collar of his shirt and lift him up and slam him into the lockers. "We need to talk."

<godfish> lash out at David
<godfish> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> godfish, 10+2 = 12
<ShootaBoy> rip
<godfish> .....hahahaha
<Antivehicular> Fantastic
Dealing 1 harm, and I'll take a String

I hold him up there just long enough to make the point that I could hold him up there as long as I wanted, then let him drop to the ground and lean in niiiiice and close. "About Kara." I give him a wide, very toothy smile. "I don't know what you thought you were doing to get her to the point where she had to yell loud enough for the class to hear for you to get off her, and then go cry in a corner, but I think that sounds like sexual assault so you might want to stay away from her from now on if you don't want to experience more of the non-sexual kind."

I take a step back, giving him the same not remotely friendly smile. "Just some nice, friendly, advice."

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

"... Sure, yeah. We should hang out." There's definitely something tentatively hopeful in my voice, something I don't realize is there until I speak. Is Kara someone I could actually be friends with? I think so. I... I don't know if it's going to last; I'm good at loving things up, and eventually I may have to scare her away for her own good. But maybe I can give it a shot, especially if she's not always so afraid.

The thing with David is still a thing, but I don't even know where to start there. Of course I want him, but he doesn't even see me, does he? I mean, why would he? He was out of my league even before I died. If I could find a way to get his attention, I'd have to try it, because duh, but... if he wants Kara, and I can be Kara's friend, maybe that's close enough. I'd still have David in my life somehow, right? And maybe he's better off at arm's length from me and with someone normal instead. Even if I have a little inkling Kara isn't really normal, that maybe we have something in common, she's... well, she's not like me. I think I'd be able to tell.

The problem, right now, is that I'm still so goddamn hungry. I've still got some willpower, but this won't last forever. I'm thinking I may have to do a little hunting, just to tide me over and prevent me from doing anything I'm gonna regret. (Well, I basically told Kara to go for it and made a lunch date with David -- maybe that should be "anything else I'm gonna regret?") Even as I walk, trying to look normal, I'm trying to pick up the scent of anything... interesting. It's weird -- I really can smell it these days, the potential for people to gently caress with, and it smells like food.

Gaze into the Abyss about hunting targets: 2d6 4
-1 Dark, +1 forward from Hold Steady, and... that. Awesome.

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

Hot: +2 | Cold: -1 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: +1
XP: 6/5 | Harm: 1/4 | Conditions: Blamed

Oh drat, now what am I going to do? I mean, if I was back in my old class, I would know who I could blame - there's always some troublemaker. Only I haven't been here too long, well both Chicago and the school, and, well, that makes it complicated. One thing's for sure: I can't tell Miss Myne the truth. Well, both parts of the truth, that I'm not sure what happened with Kara and that, uh, I think might be because... she's dead. Yeah, can't tell her that. She wouldn't understand, not any of it. I think I might be the only one who could, wants to understand, so... I can't have people think I'd hurt Kara.

I need to help her and... be close to her. But one doesn't, like, invalidate the other, right? And then I know who I can blame, at least a little bit. I look at Miss Myne, playing at having to bring myself to snitch at someone. "Well... I saw Miles starting trouble earlier with one of the other girls, and Kara was... started having her thing while I wasn't looking, so... maybe it was him?" I just hope I didn't just screw myself. Maybe Frankel knows about Miles? "I need to go to my next class now." And maybe find Kara before that.

She actually lets me leave. Outside, I can't even guess at where Kara might have headed, so I guess I will head to class after all. Gabrielle is there too, and we weven head out without saying anything. I am lost in my thoughts about Kara, about what I did wrong, about how I best could talk to her, what I should say, and how, and if my hair still looks good after earlier. And that's when... Gabrielle knocks me against lockers, after... suckered grabbing me! She's holding me against the locker' actually holding me up!

And then she says her piece - and and is she kidding? I don't know if it's because so sudden, or because I actually thought Gabrielle was nice, buthe right now I am more speechless than scared. Although, something at the back of my mind is saying 'wow, she is strong'. But all I can think of right now is that somehow, Gabrielle is yet someone else that got the entirely wrong impression. Which wouldn't be so bad if it was anything else, like who tattle on who, but, but it's Kara! If people keep spreading these lies about what happened, sooner or later she might believe them! Believe I want to hurt her and then, then I could not get through to her!

"Everyone just knows what happened, huh? Everyone just sees what they wanna see, but helping while Kara is actually 'sexually assauled' by me or, I don't know, crying in a corner? Nope. Better wait until afterwards, really get that judgement going, and then still not actually talk or help Kara!" I push my back against the locker because, yeah, she does... intimidate me. I mean, a bit. Still, I roll my eyes as I continue. "Nope, better get the only one who actually did something alone and blame everything on them. ...me."

"I did not do anything to Kara, except try to help her. She... has.." My voice loses some of its anger and I look at my feet. "...she doesn't have it easy. But you're not interested in that, I'm the only one who cares about that. So.." I glare at her, doing my best to look defiant. "No, you can't drive me away from her. So you should stop repeating other's lies, or Kara might end up all alone."

<nilPhone> David Shut Down Gabrielle
<nilPhone> !r 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> nilPhone, 10 -1= 9
+1 from True Love (winning favour) for a result of 10.
Giving Gabrielle the condition Liar.

I mean, it's not true, is it? It's all lies, right. I just... I just have to find Kara again.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

XP: 2+1/5 Harm: 0/4 Conditions: Yours Truly

She... doesn't inquire any further. There's no way she's that genuine, but I can't see past her smile to figure out what she's actually planning - and she's absolutely planning something, no doubt about it. Probably several things. She didn't so much as raise one perfectly groomed eyebrow at my absolutely weird and unusual request, so either it's not so weird to her, which honestly wouldn't surprise me (not that anything surprises me nowadays) considering my 'dad' is a Faerie and I hang out with a magical girl to go hunt monsters; and slash or she's just that desperate for my... what, approval? Companionship?

I don't know what it is, but I give her a hollow smile and nod in reply, saying "Fantastic," as I do, and almost immediately we round the corner into Frankie himself... and Caitlin immediately goes to work. I've... got to say, I'm impressed. She lays out her words like a steel trap, too polite to be rebuffed, too entangling to dodge or deflect... I mentally take notes... then realize I should probably offer some sort of explanation to Frankie about this - like, just at the very least so he doesn't think I'm with Caitlin or like, one of her hanger-ons or lackeys or something!

So once Frankie's agreed to that, I burst out with a:

"Great! So glad that's sorted, and by the way-" and just carry on walking, taking Frankie with me and leaving Caitlin behind. In a quieter voice, I add to Frankie "Thank God you showed up, you really saved me, you know? She was trying to talk me to death, or something, and I couldn't find a way to get away." It's not technically a lie, and it's going to stop either of us from having to actually lie, but it's still... cruel, and Caitlin probably won't understand the plan. I don't look back at her as we go, because I don't think I could handle seeing her hurt expression. "...so, what are you training for, anyway?"

[4:48pm] Nown: Shut Down Caitlin
[4:48pm] Nown: !roll 2d6+2
[4:48pm] Krysmbot: Nown, 3+2 = 5
Marking XP, prepping for Hard Move

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Harm:0/4 Exp: 3/5 Conditions: Distracted Drained

And pretty much immediately after I agree to whatever, Allison is drat near dragging me off down the hall with her. What the gently caress is going on today? Then she starts talking to me and asks about what I'm training for. I'm so caught off guard that before I can really even think about it I'm telling her pretty much the same thing I told to Gabrielle and Sharona earlier, that I've got a boxing match in a few days. While my mouth is on autopilot my brain takes the time to catch up and actually process what she said. Why the hell is she making GBS threads on Caitlin? Aren't they friends? They have to be, why else would they be walking around together? Wait a minute... I think back to some of what just happened in class, specifically the part where Sharona showed up the second it seemed like I was hitting on Gabrielle, and then what Doc told me about her being into David and trying to use me to make him jealous and it kinda clicks for me.

"Ok I think I see what's going on here." I stop walking and look at Allison, "Look I don't know why you two are mad at each other, and honestly I don't really care. But don't try to use me to, I dunno, make each other jealous or whatever. If that's all this meeting later is gonna be then count me out. I really don't have time for mindgame bullshit, not this week, and especially not today. Alright?"

(7:57) ShootaBoy: Shut Down Allison
(7:57) ShootaBoy: !r 2d6-1
(7:57) Krysmbot: ShootaBoy, 5-1 = 4
And we're back to normal rolling. Marking XP for Cold.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Hot: 1 | Cold: -1 | Volatile: 2 | Dark: -1 | Conditions: Liar

I snort. “Yeah, I was watching Miles to see if he was going to do anything so by the time I noticed what you were doing Frankie was pulling you off her and Miss Myne as taking control of things. But if you were so innocent, I’m sure that’s why she just made you stay back to get lectured at, right? So she could thank you for watching out for Kara.” I give my eyes a nice theatrical roll, then turn away from him, but turn back a second later, glowering a bit.

“Its true that no one pays much attention to her,” I certainly didn’t and she was sitting next to me, not until things had really gone to hell. “Is that why you thought you could get away with it? Well fine, you can do whatever you want, but if you make her yell or cry in class again…” I turn away again, heading off down the hall. He can keep trying to lie about himself everyone else if he wants, I’m not going to hang around to listen to it.

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

I'm not sure what I wanted to happen, or I guess I was just to angry to think - but this is not how I wanted this to go! I was mad enough so it made me brave enough to stand up to Gabrielle, something I'm usually not that good at, but what good is that? She still thinks I deliberately hurt Kara, and she's the second one, so does everyone else think that too?

"Gabrielle, wait!" I hurry after her. What am I going to say? I catch up to her and am about to reach for her shoulder, but think better of it. "That's not what happened! I would never..." My first instinct is to continue to be angry, but I can't, and I don't want to. So instead I look down, then up at her again, and this whole thing is awkward. "I wouldn't want to hurt Kara. We were just chatting, and it went pretty well, I think, and then I spilled some coffee like an idiot..." It was me that did that, right? "... and I briefly go to fetch some tissues and when I look back Kara is... crying and miserable!"

And just like that, as I remember, I look miserable as well - although certainly not ready to cry, nope. I look imploringly at Gabrielle. She must at the very least understand I am in pain, right? "And I rushed over to her, because nobody else was doing anything, and then... that thing happened, the thing everyone saw." I run a hand thr6my hair - I'm anxious but certainly still not at the cusp of crying at theach unfairness of it all! "And now everyone thinks I'm some sort of... monster."

I look at Gabrielle, pleading. "Please don't tell anyone that I did any of that on purpose... for Kara's sake? She needs people that... tell her the truth, notherwise lies. And I thought you weren't like that." And that's even true, I'm not sure why, but I thought Gabrielle wouldn't just spread lies like that. I look into her eyes, deeply, to see that, to know it might be true.

<nilPhone> David Turn On Gabrielle
<nilPhone> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> nilPhone, 4+2= 6
+1 from tagging condition Liar for a result of 7.
Promise/string/give self.

nil. fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 18, 2016

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

I spin around, glaring, but hesitate for a moment when I see how miserable he looks. I let him say his piece, and it... feels kind of good to see him so desperate for something from me. What the hell am I thinking? I give my head a little shake, trying to clear it, but I'm definitely still a bit flustered by my reaction. That sounds like one hell of a contrived story to be true but it'd be such a stupid lie I'm not even sure anyone would bother making it up. So I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Just this once. "Okay, okay, fine. You didn't do anything, and I won't say you did! But if I hear about anything like that happening again I won't be so easy to convince. Now go away." I storm off down the hall again.

Promising to give David this chance

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

She says she'll give me a chance, but something is weird: it's like both of us don't know how exactly we feel about that, like both of us somehow did something we're not sure we wanted to do. That's what I imagine I see in Gabrielle'so eyes before she makes a half-assurance and a half-threat, then turn to storm off. And in that moment, I somehow feel closer to her, when I see that spark of... confusion? Anxiety? That thing where there is something in front of you, but it is too big and you have to turn away, if even for a bit.

"Gabrielle!" I'm not even thinking, instead I just throw my arms around her - I am still just so... upset, at what it means that everyone might think I hurt Kara, maybe even Kara herself, and now I might have managed to convince Gabrielle to not lie about it but maybe not, and something inside her is... conflicted, I can tell and... and it's really stressful, okay? So I throw my arms around her. "Things don't always go according to plan... Me and Kara ... it's complicated. " Suddenly, I smile. "So I can't tell you I'll stay out of trouble, that nothing is going to happen. Don't you sometimes feel you are... caught up in a big wave and the only thing you can do is ride it?" I look at her, and it's too late to withdraw my arms. "Or am I crazy?" Am I? Somehow, I want her to say I am not. I am not the bad guy here, right?

Spooked: When you run into someone's arms, they choose: you mark experience; they become their Darkest Self.

<nilPhone> David Turn On Gabrielle
<nilPhone> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> nilPhone, 9+2 = 11
David gains a string on Gabrielle.

nil. fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Apr 18, 2016

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

I don't hear a word of it. "What the gently caress?!" I shove him back hard, and then kick out harder right in the gut to send him smashing back into the wall of lockers. "Do you get off on groping girls or something you loving creep? First Kara, then me? Yeah, I really believe you didn't do anything to her after that!" I spin away from him for a third time and storm off down the hall yet again. "Don't you ever loving touch me again!!" I don't have time to waste of little pieces of poo poo like him, or my stupid loving english class that I don't have the homework for. I've got better things to do with it. Like figure out what's messing with Frankie or whatever is behind those weird shadow stain things. Which is more of a threat so I should take care of it now though, assuming David doesn't crawl back to try and grab me again?

going darkest self
godfish> lash out at David (blamed)
<godfish> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> godfish, 7+3 = 10
Dealing 2 harm~

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Harm 1/4 Exp 4/5 Conditions:

Walking out of the bathroom, the hall is mostly empty, but down a bit is Gabrielle and David. They seem to be deep in conversation, and it looks pretty intense, with some raising of voices. Another girl? Again? I shake my head, no, I was wrong last time when David went to talk to Caitlin. In fact, if anything, it looks more like Gabrielle seems angry at David. Is she defending me?

The thought of somebody defending her like that, like Sharona had mentioned earlier... it's comforting. Maybe I should trust people more. Maybe I should... open up? Tell people my secret? Is that something I could really do?

My internal dialogue is interrupted suddenly when David wraps his arms around Gabrielle, who responds by kicking him across the hallway. He collapses to the ground as the girl storms off. I stare at the scene, mouth agape. What the hell just happened?

My mind races. Should I go to David and help him to his feet? Or thank Gabrielle for defending me... or herself? Gabrielle's anger is radiating off of her, as she heads down the hallway toward me. I can see in her eyes an anger... a similar anger. It's the same as his anger. Blind, unthinking, hostile. Anybody that angry, they'd lash out at anybody.

I run the gently caress away.

10:35 Ferg Kara running away from scary gabs
10:35 Ferg !r 2d6-1
10:35 Krysmbot Ferg, 4-1 = 3
10:35 Ferg wow so bad at running
marking experience...

Or, at least, I try to. My legs again turn to jelly and I end up just staring at Gabrielle as she comes barreling my way down the hallway.

Godfish, she isn't in your way if you want to just storm past her.

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 18, 2016

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

XP: 7/5 | Harm: 3/4 | Conditions:

She hits me in the stomach like a freight train, and my last coherent thought is that this is not what I wanted at all - and then the pain is too much to think anything, like an explosion going off inside my body.

I...I think I passed out because the next thing I know, there''s a pressure on the side of my head and I'm not moving anymore and then after just a few seconds, I figure out it means I'm laying on the ground on my side. My stomach is still on fire and it feels like... I want to curl up, but it's not helping! Oh god, in my mouth, that taste... I've thrown up. Think some blood too. I wonder dreamily whether you can die from something like this, I think so? I should get up. I should get to a doctor, right?

The only thing that happens is that my hand in front of me twitches, or maybe that's the only part I can see. I'm not getting up, I'm not sure I'll ever get up again, not with everything hurting like this. Oh...oh no. Now I am... finally crying. I just hope, hope Kara doesn't see me like this.

Kara. I'm still. What's the point of getting up? Gabrielle will tell everyone I am something horrible. Or maybe, maybe Kara already thinks that? She pushed me away, tried to hit me - if it was just Gabrielle, it wouldn't be so bad. But Kara, I can't stand the thought that I actually did hurt her, like that. It would hurt worse than anything Gabrielle could do to me. I just wanted... to be close to her and then everything went wrong and then I thought Gabrielle how it really happened, she might understand and I wanted someone to try to understand me too and...

I think I am starting to pass out. I can barely keep my eyes open, and like I am, I'm not sure whether the Kara I can now see is real or not. I don't care. She's here to safe me, right? Or at least to say she understands I didn't mean to get it out of hand and... and...

I slip away, and the last thing I see is her, and I imagine she's smiling at me like she did not too long ago and I know that she will forgive me.

<nilPhone> David Gaze
<nilPhone> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> nilPhone, 9+1 = 10
+1 from True Love for a result of 11.
MC: 'How can David make everyone stop hating him, especially Kara?'; Clear vision, remove condition Blamed.
Marine XP from highlighted status Dark.

nil. fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 18, 2016

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

A groan from David down the hall distracts Kara suddenly from Gabrielle's bluster. Kara takes a second look at David and he's clearly not doing well. He closes his eyes. poo poo.

Blamed gone? FINE.

12:47 Ferg Kara trying to hold steady against fear of Gabrielle
12:47 Ferg !r 2d6+1
12:47 Krysmbot Ferg, 7+1 = 8
keeping cool

I can't help myself. The poor guy... he's in way over his head. We all are... high school is just too overwhelming. I can tell he needs help. Gabrielle is scary, but I somehow find the strength to rush past her, to go to David and help out.

I find myself kneeling down and lifting his head off the ground. "Jesus... you dumbass! Stop grabbing people..." I say to him, knowing he won't hear any of it. Up close, he looks even worse. There's a bump forming on the back of his head where it smashed against the lockers and some vomit dripping out of his mouth. I take off my sweater and start to clean him up, wiping away the vomit and then put it under his head as a pillow. Then I rush to the bathroom and wet some paper towels to put on his head, cooling him down.

Taking care of David to heal 1 harm

I call out to Sharona as I pass her, "Hey, do you think you could get some ice? I'm not sure if we can get a nurse... I don't want Gabrielle to get it trouble." I glance back at the unconscious boy, "We might have to sneak him off campus."

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Scene 2 Continued

Gabrielle: Well that showed him didn't it. It'll teach him to keep his hands off people in the future. If he has a future.... But then that's not your concern. You've had enough of all this crap haven't you. Someone must know what's behind this supposed dawn cult you are hearing more and more about. Who do you know about on the "streets" who would know more about them and what are you going to do to put the fear of god you into them to get them to tell you what they know? Are you going to skip school to do it now?

David: Welcome to pain town your head swims and the black out and loss of conciousness is almost welcome at least . Your thoughts move slowly as if swimming through an inky black oil slick. You turn one thought over in your mind how can you make it up to Kara, She's hurting,... hurting bad almost as bad as you, you can't take away that pain as much as you want to but you can help her deal with it. Show her how much you care. If she accepts you her "abuser" then scandal will be forgotten in a week. If. You open your eyes slowly and painfully blinded by the light Where do you hurt the most? and you hear the voice of an angel. Kara. What do you say to her?

Sharona: You look for the fear you need the fear. You've waited too long haven't you. You shouldn't have waited so long. The hunger gnaws at you tears at you. You need it the heady mix of fear and power. Not later today not from one of your "acceptable targets" but here and now. And there is Kara dear sweet Kara she is scared isn't she. She's scared by what Gabrielle has done, she's scared that David might die. And you're hungry what do you do?

Enter Darkest Self

Kara: You watch as David's eyes flicker open and he tries to say something.You barely have time to register what it is before you feel Sharona behind you. She looks different, almost hungry for something and she's looking at you like you are her next meal. What do you do?

Allison: That's ridiculous. Have you ever heard anything quite so stupid. You're not really interested in Frankie like that ... are you? And to think he's so swell headed as to think you would be. Pfft. Do you let him think that that's the truth though or are you going to try and correct him on his ignorance?

take the condition Jealous

Caitlin: Well Frankie does have spirit at least. He has to, to be able to stand up to the force of your persuasive powers, What do you do or say to him to prove to him that this isn't about any petty rivalry with Allison? As if she could be any sort of rival to you of course. Or do you just leave the two of them to get on with it. After all you still have your own meeting with the mysterious suitor your parents have picked out. Surely preparing for that is more important than this petty drama?

Frankie: Are you sure you haven't changed your cologne? Although if you had any chance with either Allison or Caitlin I think you can safely say that you've blown that. Are you disappointed or secretly relieved? You get the impression Doc frowns though how something without a face manages to frown is a mystery to you. "Yeah that sounds like the guy. Now whatever you do don't kill him. He can't pay up if he's dead and his family might take it foul if you did." Does Doc normally sound this worried when he's giving you a job?

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 19, 2016

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

I'm pretty sure I put the same stuff as always on this morning, but I think I might change all my personal care stuff out later, just to be safe. Honestly though? I don't think disappointed or relieved works here. There's no way either of them actually likes me that way. What's probably going on is each of them thinks the other likes me like that. For some fuckin' reason. Pfft, both of them must be nuts to think that, really. I mean what is this, a bad romantic movie? Where some lovely guy has a girl that's massively outta his weightclass fall for him? As if. Allison and me is a fuckin' joke. Caitlin and me is the biggest joke I've ever heard of. So yeah, I don't think neither of them are actually into me like that, 'cause this is real life, and that just ain't how it works.

So all of that doesn't bother me much. My real worry is what Doc just said. I know I wouldn't kill the guy and Doc knows I wouldn't kill the guy, so if he's said that, then it means something's up. So now I've got to worry about whatever's got Doc spooked about this guy. Maybe he's a vampire or something. Why the gently caress not? Nothing else makes any goddamned sense today. Although... Doc did say something about his family not taking kindly to him croaking. So maybe they're the ones I should be worried about? gently caress why am I even worrying about this right now? It's not like I can go do anything to him now, not with next period starting soonish. And also whatever is going on with these girls. Geez, today really sucks.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Wow, that's kind of a hosed up implication you just made! I know I didn't hit him hard enough to kill him! God. Maybe some broken ribs, sure, but not murder in the middle of school. As for information, eh... don't have a lot of options here. I guess... there's always Sniveling Pete. Never exactly my first choice to visit, because he's some kind of trashmonster. As in, a monster (a kind of demon I think) who lives on trash. He doesn't do anything evil, but he smells as bad as you'd expect. His name isn't actually Pete, it's some long demonic sounding thing, but it has 'Pete' in it, so Pete he is.

And yeah, duh I'm skipping. No point hanging around and wasting my time with class. I make a pit stop to my locker to pick up my backpack, then head right for the door. Not really watching who I'm passing, so the fact that I walked right past Allison and whoever she might have been next to didn't register. Not like I need backup for this. Or want it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Suddenly, everything snaps into brutal focus. What the gently caress have I been doing? Trying to be nice, trying to make friends? There's only one goddamn thing that matters to me now, and that's getting fed. The mind of my other self, the thing, is reminding me that we're both better off if it (she?) is obeyed. It comes naturally to her, after all, and what she sees from these cringing, wounded beasts is nothing new --

No, dammit, David needs help, stop it --

There are ways to do both, ways to be productive even in the midst of hungry myopia. I stalk forward a step or two, build rictus-straight, and snarl. "Okay, gently caress this. You're getting him to the nurse right. loving. Now. Or I'll do it myself, and I'm not going to waste time, so don't you goddamn waste time either." There's a hard, cool edge to my voice. Kara may have thought she had my number, back when I hosed up in the bathroom, but now she gets to see me loving real for once, and maybe that's less easy to swallow. If she's willing to submit to my power, that's fine, it'll do... and if not, well, we'll see where this goes, huh?

Shut Down Kara: 2d6+2 12
(Accidentally forgot I used my +1 forward, so the Orokos roll is a little higher and at +3, but it's academic.)
Kara loses a string on me! Also, point of clarification: Ferrosol, do you tell me when I satisfy a hunger, or can I call it when I see it?

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 20, 2016

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Oh thank loving god, it's Gabrielle. She can save from this social hell. ... And I can apologize for earlier, geez that was not fun. Also I feel kinda bad for jumping down Allison's throat like I did, even if she is trying to use me or whatever, she's still a decent enough person for Gabrielle to consider a friend. I'll apologize for that later though, might be really awkward to do it right after saying all that.

"Hey Gabrielle! What's up?" I ask as I move kinda halfway in her way so she stops walking, with a super subtle look on my face, one that's saying 'oh god please don't leave me here alone with these two, 'cause it just got really really weird here'. I notice she's got her pack with her so I add, "Are you skipping or something?" Then I lean in and add in a whisper, "If you are then I'm coming with you. I really don't wanna stay here right now." Yeah subtle can go sit and spin, I just want to get away from all this insanity.

And honestly, even with her crazy secret thing, Gabrielle is the most normal thing I've seen today.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Apr 20, 2016

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Taking care of David, it almost felt… right. Like it was the right thing to do. Like the first right thing I've done in… well, months. He looks a little better, too. Still out cold, but color returning to his cheeks a bit, highlighting his cute face. I find my hand wandering to his hair, stroking it lightly as I wait for Sharona to go get him some ice.

I suddenly realize that she hasn't moved. I turn my head to ask again, maybe she didn't hear me. “Hey, could you…”

I freeze. Her eyes have completely changed. And that scary aura… it's like ten times more scary and she's alternating her gaze between me and David… As if pondering who to hurt first.

I shudder, feeling again that nervous panic, that same sensation telling me to run, to escape, to be anywhere but here. My hand in David's hair… I can't leave him… Can I? I fight the urge to flee.

Roll to hold steady = 7
Keeping cool

Yes. I can do this. I square myself to the approaching girl and stand up. “You need to calm down, Sharona. Look, he's already looking better and going to the nurse would cause… problems…”

Her aggressiveness, it snaps something in me. I grit my teeth, hours and days and months of denial suddenly getting the better of me. “Besides, why the gently caress do you care, huh?! You were just talking about beating him up if he did anything else that's weird! Well where the hell were you when I needed you? Huh?! Where were you?!”

Oh dear, some unresolved trauma?
Roll = 10
Sharona gains the Blamed condition.

Yeah. It's all her fault. All of this.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

XP: 2+1/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: Desperate

I... don't really comprehend what just happened. Why'd they both run off? I was being nice to both of them - I shouldn't even have to do that, but I was, and yet they still ran off! It doesn't make any sense!

<Rauri> Caitlin Hold Steady
<Rauri> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 8+1 = 9
Marking XP for Cold

Instead of letting some sign of my absolute inability to process why they're behaving like they are, I keep my mask up. The most they get is a quirked eyebrow in their direction and then I'm off to class. My mind may be a tempest of worries and questions and stress, but that's practically my default state - it's the price of keeping everyone happy, especially my Parents. At least no one can tell though, and on the way to AP English I offer a few choice waves and smiles to those throughout the student body who've earned them. Unlike Allison and Frankie, they're appreciative, and I'm starting to have a bit of faith in the natural order again.

Still, I'm wracking my brain as I round the corner towards my next class, trying to figure out my more important problem. Namely whoever my parents have decided to match me up with. It's... loving horrifying and I want to run away forever not an ideal situation, but I'm going to make do. Part of that is trying to remember ANYTHING I can that might help me...

<Rauri> Gaze
<Rauri> !r 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 5-1 = 4

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

XP: 3/5 | Harm: 1/4 | Conditions: Insignificant

"Problems? David's lying there like that and you're telling me about loving problems? What, like the crazy bitch that racked him up getting in trouble? Come the gently caress on!"

Why the gently caress is she getting in my face about this? This is goddamn common sense! Now I'm getting really pissed. The cooler-headed part of me says messing up Kara isn't going to help, however satisfying it might be, so instead it's time for a show of power. I slam a fist into the nearest locker hard, denting the thin metal with a tremendous noise. It barely even hurts.

Lash Out to make a demonstration of power: 2d6+1 8
Marking XP above for rolling Volatile; taking 1 harm as a consequence of 7-9 Lash on account of punching a metal object

"Just. loving. Do. It."

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 20, 2016

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

XP: 7/5 | Harm: 2/4 | Conditions:

Things are kind of like a dream, only not a pleasant one, but one you'd get when you have a fever, where you move in and out of consciousness. Is that Kara? It can't be, she hates me after everythigng went wrong. Or does she? The consuming, hot pain in my tomach seems to move, contract, jump at me and I briefly pass out again and really, if I was thinking clearly, or thinking at all, I'd tink it was a mercy. Does Kara hate me? No, I can't think that, she's just... She's.. complicated, and, honestly, that's what drew me to her, I think, just this sense that sh went through something, had something that nobody else did. Something real.

I come to again, and all of those thoughts are swept away as a wave of nausea attacks me, but when I manage not to throw up again, I notice I feel better. Wait, that is Kara! A warmth of a different kind shoots up my spine, and I break out into a smile - or would, if I managed to. As it is, I think I just manage to make my facial muscles twitch. But it really is Kara! She came for me, and she's caring for me and it means she can't hate me completely, it means I still have a chance. A chance to have a place next to her heart, and to share and understand and maybe calm that pain that lives there. Kara is caring for me and I admit, I think I had a daydream like this. I was in a lot less pain in the daydream, mind, but it's totally worth it just having her here.

"Kara." I smile. "I knew you didn't believe I would ever want to hurt you..."

Oh. I notice something. Seems things are also like another daydream I had, Kara is no longer wearing her sweater and instead there is only a pretty tight shirt underneath. It's ridiculous, but suddenly I feel I could actually get up. Uh, as in stand up, not as in... nevermind.

Wait. What's going on? I try to turn my head. Kara is up and there is someone else and Kara is.. upset. Agitated. I try to sit up. It's... Sharona? She's laying into Kara, threatening her. I can't make out exactly what her loving problem is, and in the mess of my mind, I can't think clearly. What is up with Sharona, what does she want? Wasn't she nice before? Did Gabrielle set her up to this? I can't figure it out, but really, it's not important. I have to get up - Kara is in trouble, there's again someone else tha wants to hurt her, like people lied about how I wanted to hurt her and I, I... I have to protect her!

I actually manage to get up, though when I do, I have to concentrate on making the hallway stop spinning for a few seconds. I stumble forward, and I almost lay my arm protectively around Kara's shoulder - but I stumble too far, ending up between her and Sharona. Oh jesus, what am I doing? The sour taste of vomit is still on my tongue, but, can't think about that! I briefly look back, at Kara, to steady myself and to give her an encouraging look, to show her I am there for her. Because that's how I will show her I am the one who is trying to understand her, help her and... and man, she looks good!

Okay, not the time for that. I turn towards Sharna, resolved to look fierce, or at the very least, not like I just puked on myself, passed out and might do so again just from having to stand up. Right, Sharona, you'll... oh. Oh. That look is... it sends a shiver down my spine. Her look, her whole... aura is intense, like a thunderstorm ready to break, a tsunami on the horizon or.. Uh, she's pretty loving scary, okay? She's intimidating, and while I fight back the urge to just, well, flinch away and actually hide behind Kara, something in me also... appreciates it. Does that makes sense? Just the, well, ferocity of it and... No, no, no. I force myself to not back off, but it's like a physical barrier pushing me, so I do my best to just... push back. I think of Kara, and that I have to help her, show her I want her, erm, want to help her, and how good she looked just now and who is Sharona anyway? She wouldn't actually... do anything, right? Not her.

<nilPhone> David Hold Steady (vs. Sharona)
<nilPhone> !r 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> nilPhone, 9 -1= 8
+1 from True Love (winning favour), +1 from tagging condition 'insignificant' for a result of 10.
Keeping cool and asking a question about the current situation.
MC: What is Sharona's deal / what made her fly off the handle?

Yeah, standing my ground. I'm not always the bravest. "Sharona, what are you doing? Didn't Kara already have enough grief today?" My voice sounds kind of funny, but, more importantly, what am I going to do? I managed not to, well, be too intimidated... for now, but Sharona still is... pretty scary. And she looks tough, like she could take me - like she would want to, like she would enjoy it. And even if I did win - I'm already in hot waters with Miss Mayne and someone would probably blame me, I mean, beating up a girl? So unfair. And, uh, she's still... pretty intimidating. Not that I am intimidated, but, well, fighting just isn't a solution. Right?

I hold up my hands. "I don't know what the deal is, but can you... can you just please keep Kara out of this?" Despite myself, I look back at her, to see her face, maybe even see her react to what I am doing for her. I face Sharona again. What can I do? Suddenly, I feel desperate, helpless. "Just... just... whatever you want..." I have this crazy impulse, out of some intinct about what is up with Sharona - I step closer towards her, lowering my head, lowering my whole body, like I'm... bowing to her. "... take it from me. Just don't hurt her." In a smaller voice, I continue. "If you have to, hurt me."

<nilPhone> David Turn On Kara
<nilPhone> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> nilPhone, 10+2= 12
+1 from True Love (winning favour) for a result of 13.
No mechanical effect.

<nilPhone> David Turn On Sharona
<nilPhone> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> nilPhone, 5+2= 7
Promise/(symbolic) string/give self?

nil. fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 20, 2016

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Sharona's pissed and beats up a locker and I don't give a poo poo because I'm pissed too. I start to speak, to tell the girl off, but a sudden figure reaching at me from behind suddenly appears. The person stumbles past me... it's David! When did he...

The boy wobbles back and forth as he puts himself between me and Sharona, and starts into a speech about protecting me, offering himself up to the violence. I'm still a bit pissed, I guess, because before he gets very far into it, I lean forward and grab his arm, moving it around my shoulder, and then leaning into him to help him stand. "Can you just shut up for like, one minute?" I ask David, "You're going to get yourself killed at this rate."

I glance forward at Sharona. "See? He's fine, " I state with an 'I told you so' tone, "I can take it from here. You just go cool down."

13:18 Ferg Kara shutting Sharona down
13:18 Ferg !r 2d6+1
13:18 Krysmbot Ferg, 7+1 = 8
Giving you the condition: Humbled (as in, by seeing Kara forgiving David)
Don't forget Blamed, too
Give Kara a condition

I push forward, moving past her, and dragging David along. He's heavy, but he must be in enough pain to know when he needs help. I'm suddenly aware of his smell, the feel of his body pressed up against mine. It's... not unwelcome, though certainly not the time to lose myself in the moment. I strain a bit as we continue down the hall. "Look, David," I start, "I... really don't want to go to the nurse's office. I could take you there... I guess... and leave you. I don't want to risk..."

I shake my head, thinking how to explain it to him. Right. A lie. "I don't want Gabrielle or Sharona to get in trouble. Do you feel good enough to go to class? Or... we could skip, maybe..." I trail off.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

XP: 3/5 | Harm: 1/4 | Conditions: Insignificant, Blamed

"You're telling me to cool down, when you're the one cowering in fear of punishment? Punishment for someone else being a victim? You're a loving idiot, Kara."

Giving Kara the condition "loving idiot," because, uh, why not.

It's enough to make me pause in my tracks, though -- but no. If I can just get David to the nurse, if I can just get my goddamn way, maybe that's going to make this feel okay. Maybe that'll get me comfortable enough to stop this... this drive. I have to focus. I can't let distraction -- David and Kara in their world of two -- get to me. I have to eat, and to do that, I have to win.

Hold Steady against resistance: 2d6+3 10
(+2 Cold, +1 for pursuing a feeding opportunity even when it's a stupid idea)
Removing the condition "Humbled"

I look to David, who's at least being a little rational about this and about recognizing my authority. "... I'm done with Kara, okay? C'mon. You come with me." I grab his hand -- not roughly, but firmly enough to make it clear that I'm not going to be disobeyed -- and start to lead him off to the nurse. I'm helping David out, goddammit, if it's the last rational thought I ever have.

EDIT to be more explicit, because I just realized it wasn't: promising David that I won't hurt Kara.

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 21, 2016

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

My escape with David is suddenly interrupted by a sharp pull from behind, as Sharona grabs David and pulls him away from her. I react immediately, grabbing his other arm and tugging him back. I glower at her, seeing the violence in her eyes.

Kara holding steady = 11
Removing loving idiot, lol

“You don't even know the half of what you're talking about. I won't let you hurt him. Let. Go.”

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

XP: 8/5 | Harm: 2/4 | Conditions:

Maybe... maybe I am going to get myself killed at this rate. Maybe Kara is right - but would that be the worst thing? Everyone dies, even if they don't want to, even if they don't even want to think about it, and for most of them it's just... that they're not there anymore, right? But to die for something that matters... Although, that might just be my concussion talking - do I have a concussion? What is a concussion, actually? Uh, what I mean is that I don't want to die, not with Kara so close to me and also, anyway, I am not sure what is going on. Would that count as dying for something that matters, when you don't know what it is? But, what I'm trying to say is... like the poet said, I want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live.

I shake myself - did I just zone out? And also, whoa, Kara is fierce. Somehow I can't stop myself from thinking it's because she''s defending me and then I can't help but smile. And I'm happy she's...taking charge? No, that sounds like I'm not, well, manly - so, I'm happy she knows what she's doing. I mean, they say some people don't fear death, but for Kara it'd maybe literally be true.

And as if to make my point, she pulls me away and even though I know it's not true, even though I know Sharona is still there, it's suddenly as if we are alone. My heart beats faster and I am feeling her hand on my shoulder and I can't take my eyes off her face. She's telling me about something, and I really, really have to concentrate on understanding what she is saying and not just listen to her voice, watch her lips part, see her tongue move and...

Wait, she doesn't want to go to the nurse because she doesn't want Gabrielle or Sharona to get into trouble? After they both have been such as assholes, and for no reason? Okay, I guess Gabrielle had a bit of a reason, but, I didn't mean for it to get out of hand and she... well, there was a good reason she beat me up where nobody was looking! And now Kara doesn't want to tell anyone about it, wants to protect them? Even though I still feel like I might throw up blood any second? That's... that's not okay, is it?

But no. Kara knows what she is doing, right? I just have to trust her, because really, it's like she's asking me to trust her without really asking, you know? And that means she must trust me, so really, there's nothing I'd rather do.

Marking XP via Excuses are my Armour.

And then she talks about skipping instead, and not just me, but both of us, together, and my mouth feels dry but my insides feel warm and I have forgotten all the pain for the moment and the way Kara trailed off tells me I didn't just imagine what she just meant and... and it's more than I could dream of. "Kara, I, yes, you were so great back there..." Not what I wanted to say, god! "And, and... skipping would be, I mean, I'd really like to-"

Whoa, what? It's Sharona and she's telling me I should come with her and she's pulling on my arm? And now Kara is pulling on the other one, telling Sharona off and basically, they are both fighting over me - which is kind of like another daydream I had, only not really because of gender... something. But never mind all that, what am I supposed to do?

Wait, wait, they're both fighting over me - is that why Sharona is like this? Is she... jealous? I mean, I'm not stupid, she did invite me to lunch, but I didn't realise she felt so... strongly!

"Uhm..." I am being pulled back and forth, and right now, I am not trying to fight either of them, that'd only make things worse, right? "Sharona, Kara, please, I..." I am still dizzy, and the pulling is not helping, but in a... sick way, this is, well, exciting. "Please, this isn't necessary! Sharona, can't you let me go?" In more than one sense. "I mean, I like you, but... I didn't mean to hurt you, so please, don't hurt Kara either!" This is hard, and somehow, I think it'd be best not to hurt either of them, right? I mean, of course I like Kara better, but... Uh, but what? I'm confused for a moment, and then just to stop thinking about what I meant, I shout. "We can figure something out, but Kara is... she shouldn't have to deal with more of this!"

nil. fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 21, 2016

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

XP: 3/5 Harm: 0/4 Conditions: Yours Truly, Jealous

Wait.. what? Seriously, what? I'm completely non-plussed by Frankie's outburst, and... whatever he's reading into it. I'm about to protest my innocence when he heads off, and... well, poo poo, that's what I get for trying to use Caitlin and also show I don't need her, I guess. Just a big loving mess. I'm not jealous of her, why would I be jealous of her? Argh, I know that is going to bother me for the next few weeks as my subconscious needles me about that...

I'm still thinking on what to do when Gabby comes rushing past... and well, gently caress class. It would be super awkward being there with Caitlin anyway after my little stunt, and besides... I guess I should apologise to Franie, or something, and figure out a different way to get at his secret after sabotaging the last one, and Gabby's heading his direction, so when I follow after her, our little group's all reunited.

He's already whispering something to her by the time I get there, and I waste no time in coming to join them, with a whispered "What's up?" at Gabby - is she like, on her way to go smite some monster or something? Then, glancing at Frankie, I add "Sorry... really. I can explain, I swear..."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Ugh, what does Frankie want now? He asks to skip along with me and gives me some kind of super pleading look. I don’t have time for this poo poo. “Yeah sure.” I give him a curt nod, and push off along the hallway again, I’ll just ditch him as soon as I get out of the building. “Feeling sick.”

Oh, great, now Allison is here too, trying to tag along. And she actually knows what I do. Last thing I need is her trying to tag along because she thinks she knows best. “Feeling sick, heading home.” I give her the same flat answer I gave Frankie, thinking about how to play this we head out of the building. Ah, got it.

Once we’re outside, I slip an arm around her shoulder and lean in to whisper back at her. “I need to investigate something, don’t want to get him involved. You ditch him while I head home and I’ll meet you at…” I cast around randomly, settling on… “Jo’s Cafe near the L train station in about half an hour. Promise.” I give her a winning smile, wait for an answer, and then head off down the road at a swift jog.

Obviously, I won’t be heading there.

<godfish> turn on Allison
<godfish> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> godfish, 6+2 = 8
Marking exp for hot | whoops this was supposed to be a +1, so the result is a 7

also marking exp for Lure

also also Light the Way gives Allison +1 to doing this

GodFish fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 22, 2016

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

XP: 3/5 Harm: 0/4 Conditions: Yours Truly, Jealous

I listen dubiously to what she says, not buying it at all... especially when she slips an arm around my shoulder - holy poo poo, is this like, immediately showing me how lovely it was to act the way I did to Frankie? Thanks, laser-guided karma, I guess! And then she promises on top of it all. Any warm fuzzy feeling I had from her getting so close is immediately shut down, and I don't let her just merrily jog off without us, bringing her back to furiously whisper at her in reply!

"...No. No way. I'm not going to lie to him for you. You tell him yourself, if it's that important. Or... let us come with you. We're a team, aren't we?"

Promising what she thinks Gabby wants - friendly support!

[8:12pm] Nown: Shutting down Gabrielle
[8:12pm] Nown: !roll 2d6+1
[8:12pm] Krysmbot: Nown, 7+1 = 8
We both trade conditions, I'll give you Martyr

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Hot: 1 | Cold: -1 | Volatile: 2 | Dark: -1 | Conditions: Liar, Martyr

I glare at her. "You want me to tell him? He doesn't know what's going on yet, the last thing I need is someone else to get caught in the crossfire, and he gets beaten up badly enough without me helping!" I'm trying to keep my voice down in a whisper, but its getting a little louder as I get more heated. Allison means well but I don't have time for this. "Look you can either shake him off and join me in a bit or I'll just do this on my own. You can't stop me." I cross my arms, glaring harder.

Giving Allison the condition Liability.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

So the girls started out whispering, but they're both really bad at it apparently, 'cause they just keep getting louder. Christ I'm getting embarrassed for the both of them now. "You uh... you guys realize that I'm right here, right? That I can definitely hear you 'whispering'," I do some really exaggerated air quotes, "about lying to me and ditching me, right?" I pause for a second to give them a chance to be surprised that I could hear them, since my life is apparently a fuckin' TV show now. I look between the two of them. I'm pretty sure that Allison knows what the gently caress Gabrielle is up to when it comes to that freaky poo poo. Looks like I'm that last one to show up for the party again, seems to e a bit of a running theme for today. When I continue it's in a voice that's actually low enough to count as a whisper.

"Gabrielle. You're my friend, so you know me. You know that I'm not the brightest. But there is no way in hell you can expect me to see someone gearin' themselves up for a fight, and believe that they're sick. Bull fuckin' poo poo. I know what I saw, and I'm guessing Allison knows too. If you feel like you can't tell me what you're up to, well... I'm not gonna lie, that hurts, but it's your choice. And it's my choice to tell you that I'm coming with you, even if you won't tell me exactly what we're getting into, I've got enough of an idea to know that I'm not letting my friends go on their own!" I've straightened up to my full height now, and I'm already doing a couple simple arm stretches. Even without a mirror I know that I've got my fighting face on. Determination and all that other good poo poo are gonna be on there, plain as day. "I'm not backin' down from a fight, especially one with my friends in it."

(8:09) ShootaBoy: Turn On Gabrielle
(8:09) ShootaBoy: !r 2d6
(8:09) Krysmbot: ShootaBoy, 3 = 3
(8:09) ShootaBoy: god dammit
(8:09) godfish: hahahaha

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

XP: 3/5 | Harm: 1/4 | Conditions: Insignificant, Blamed

It's all I can do right now to keep my half-promise to David and not bring Kara into it, screaming and venting my rage against that enticing bruise on her head... but no, says the calculating part of me. I thought there was a meal here, but this is a wasteland. There's got to be easier prey somewhere else, and I have to eat. These two are too dense to know what's for their own good, so what's the point?

"Fine," I snarl out through gritted teeth. "Go cut school. When you're lying in bed hurting tonight, or when you pass out, or whatever, you'd better hope Kara's not too afraid of problems to call you a drat ambulance. She'd rather have you all to herself than make sure you live through the loving night, and if that's what you want, I won't stop you. Remember, I tried to help." My focus is on David, trying to convey the sheer danger in what Kara's suggesting. He's hurt, in trouble, and she'd rather play hooky? There's having a fascination with death, and then there's a death wish; I try to make it obvious which side I think Kara is really serving.

Shut down Kara (via scaring David): 2d6+3 14
We're stacking a lot of rolls in this scene, so I don't know if it's appropriate for this to have a mechanical effect, but discussion in #swampthings suggested this should trigger a roll, so here we go. If it does have a mechanical effect, I'll take a string on Kara.

With that, I turn to stalk down the hall, leaving them to their own bad decisions. Where do they even have the right to defy me? No matter... there's got to be someone around here who's more pliable, a little freshman I can shake down. Someone's going to be afraid today, dammit. I don't have any other choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

David throws himself into the fire again, but Sharona finally seems to be figuring out that she's causing more harm than good. She stomps off after telling David that I can't take care of him. Pssssh. Like she could…

I move to help David walk again. Much easier this time without the crazy girl getting in the way. I begin to lead him down the hall, at first in silence. The first silence in a long time. It's so very welcome.

David and I. Just the two of us. So much I want to ask… like, does he know? And all the possible questions leading from there… Would he understand? Would he… accept it?

I glance sideways at the ailing boy, his normally pale skin made even paler by the injuries. And cuter too. I shake my head. Focus. Should we cut class? Or try to make it to break…

Suddenly, it hits me. “Oh!” I exclaim, then blush. “Uh, I know where we could go... The baseball team's training room will be empty now, until lunch at least. And they have ice packs there… some other stuff, too.”

I lower my head, a bit ashamed. “One of the trainers there streams Cubs games at lunch when they play early, and let's students eat and watch…”

• Locked thread