Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Welcome Boston

Time to discuss your team's offseason moves / planned suicide because they won't loving fire Therrien already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
save us auston matthews

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Pray for Carey's MCLs. It's the only way Condon won't be in over his head next season.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Price for Hart tho

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Preliminary post for when the Red Wings get owned in the first round

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I'm more excited for Toronto than Columbus. Is that wrong?

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Price for Hart tho

60 wins and a .945 sv% book it :smug:

:v:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dale Ouise posted:

60 wins and a .945 sv% book it :smug:

:v:

I'm serious: he clearly was the most valuable to his team

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Why isnt this thread named "NHL Offseason Thread: Canada's New Home"? :mad:

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

2nd time Boston missed the playoffs, Big Z doesn't have many good years left. Big changes need to come down the pipe.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
I'm torn between wanting the Canucks to finally get a 1st overall and living in terror with what Jimbo will do with it if they got it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Been waiting on this thread since October 15th. Welcome to the party. :colbert:

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
Everything sucks and the Avs will never win a game again.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

CBJ somehow finish the season on a three game win streak. I say "somehow" because even though Toronto and Buffalo shouldn't be surprises, they capped it off by beating Chicago 5-4 in OT in a game they had no business winning after being down 3-0 in the first period.

Torts finishes his first season 34-33-8.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

LumpyGumby posted:

Everything sucks and the Avs will never win a game again.

I'm not convinced this is a bad thing.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

Why isnt this thread named "NHL Offseason Thread: Canada's New Home"? :mad:

NHL Offseason Thread: Canada's REAL 5th season

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Toronto stared into the abyss and out jumped Matthews. :unsmigghh:

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Stretch Marx posted:

Toronto stared into the abyss and out jumped Matthews. :unsmigghh:

I just want to point out that you're a Leafs fan, and you have decades of high expectations turning into cavernous disappointments.
Maybe take 50% off it. That way when Montreal or Edmonton gets the golden ticket, you won't feel so bad.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

My biggest hope for the draft lottery is that neither Montreal or Boston win it. I resigned myself to the Leafs picking ~4th a while ago.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
Yea 20% is not a sure fire thing. The best odds available, so I'm good with them being last but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
There's only like 2 months left before Jim Benning can resign Ryan Miller and we can FINALLY move on to some stability in net.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Summer wishlist:

-A new owner
-hire Claude Julien
-pray some jabroni takes Bobby or Dion in the expansion draft in 2017

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Literally any of Matthews, Laine, the other Finn or Marner's linemate Tkachuk are cool and good. Nylander, Chychrun and Juolevi also seem cool and good. Drafts owns, bring on the new uniforms, make a line of Laine - Nylander - Marner next year. Go leaf.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
The Jets didn't win more than 2 games in a row all year and then won their final 4 including sweeping the California road trip. gently caress sakes

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

I know I should want Matthews to go to a West team, but I'm kinda hoping Columbus lands the #1 pick. They deserve to have something nice for once.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Infidel Castro posted:

I know I should want Matthews to go to a West team, but I'm kinda hoping Columbus lands the #1 pick. They deserve to have something nice for once.

The Jackets, the Jets, the Sabres, the Coyotes... the NHL is not exactly short of teams that deserve better than they get.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I honestly thought that Columbus looked like a strong contender this preseason. I thought they had made themselves a strong roster and Torts, while lol, isn't terribad. Welp.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Injuries (Bobrovsky, Dubinksy, Jenner, etc.), RyJo regressed, and a lot of vets (JMFJ, Clarkson, Foligno, Prout, etc.) were pretty terrible, or even more terrible than expected.

I have hope for Jones, Murray, Werenski and even Kukan. Korpisalo was a pleasant surprise as well.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Brooks Laich says he's "pretty sure" he'll be back with the Leafs next year, after getting positive feedback from management. Presumably he's around to provide Leadership and be a Veteran Influence but he's also completely useless so I don't feel great about this news. On the other hand, getting a head start on Tank 2017: The Wrath of Komarov

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Koopa Kid posted:

Brooks Laich says he's "pretty sure" he'll be back with the Leafs next year, after getting positive feedback from management. Presumably he's around to provide Leadership and be a Veteran Influence but he's also completely useless so I don't feel great about this news. On the other hand, getting a head start on Tank 2017: The Wrath of Komarov

I mean the alternative is Buy Him Out which doesn't really matter next year anyway. Team's not quite there and we don't have any big signings he's getting in the way of unless we sign Stamkos/Kadri/Rielly to monster albatross contracts.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Koopa Kid posted:

Tank Nation 2: Babcock Boogaloo

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Koopa Kid posted:

He's got a cap hit of 4.5 million next year. The best way to use him is probably to have him to start the year and then trade him while retaining 50% if rookies force him out of the lineup.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
Not expecting too much out of the Flames this off-season. Once the Gaudreau and Monahan extensions are done, there won't be much cap space left to make moves, beyond some bargain-bin stuff.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I still don't understand why they changed the draft lottery, and I plan on getting real mad when the Leafs pick 4th.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Technetium posted:

I mean the alternative is Buy Him Out which doesn't really matter next year anyway. Team's not quite there and we don't have any big signings he's getting in the way of unless we sign Stamkos/Kadri/Rielly to monster albatross contracts.

Hand Knit posted:

He's got a cap hit of 4.5 million next year. The best way to use him is probably to have him to start the year and then trade him while retaining 50% if rookies force him out of the lineup.

He was so bad most nights I honestly started getting over my aversion to buyouts. Considering the market and cap crunch of this year and next I don't think he's tradeable no matter how much salary the Leafs retain.

The roster spot he takes up is definitely the bigger issue. I suppose they can always just perma-bench him or send him down if need be.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
As an Oilers fan I kind of hope they DON'T get the #1 pick. It would take some of the oxygen out of the 'Edmonton ruins #1s' argument, and a gigantic Finnish winger would fill a spot somewhat better than another centre.

Twin Cinema posted:

I still don't understand why they changed the draft lottery, and I plan on getting real mad when the Leafs pick 4th.
They did it to further reduce the incentive for tanking. Joke's on the NHL, though: Edmonton has been trying to win all this time.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

So they still doing the weird ball number thing or just putting teams on the bingo balls? I'd like to see Edmonton get picked 4 times in a row.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Dorion seems like a yes man and I am unenthused.

I hope Arizona winds up with Matthews.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Dorion seems like a yes man and I am unenthused.

I hope Arizona winds up with Matthews.

There really shouldn't be any other way. I bet if the NHL still owned the Coyotes, they'd either rig the lottery or orchestrate a huge trade to get him on Arizona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

JoelJoel posted:

So they still doing the weird ball number thing or just putting teams on the bingo balls? I'd like to see Edmonton get picked 4 times in a row.

as far as i know its still the weird ball number thing

• Locked thread