Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fastball LIVE in concert
Jul 10, 2010
Cinnamon sugar cake doughnut or sour cream old fashioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Hell Yeah posted:

boston creme obv

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Tim Hortons used to have an amazing donut called the Walnut Crunch. Was more a glazed cakey loaf packed with walnuts, but it was amazing.

Several years ago though Tims cut a bunch of stuff from their menu in their never-ending quest to attain ultimate mediocrity. Basically any of their donuts that required effort and more than a penny to make got nixed.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
whichever one is the donut of the month at the gas station cause that's the only one I know for sure hasn't been sitting there for 30 days.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Tim Hortons used to have an amazing donut called the Walnut Crunch. Was more a glazed cakey loaf packed with walnuts, but it was amazing.

Several years ago though Tims cut a bunch of stuff from their menu in their never-ending quest to attain ultimate mediocrity. Basically any of their donuts that required effort and more than a penny to make got nixed.

:agreed:

10 or 15 or Christ knows how many years ago, each Tim's location would bake their own donuts fresh every single day, by a person who actually knew how to loving make them, and they OWNED.

now they just pay some illiterate dipshit minimum wage to defrost an industrial pallet of factory-made hardtack and call them "donuts".

I'm old as gently caress and mad as hell and I'm not going to do anything about it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah, everything at Tim's is tasteless cardboard now. When I was a kid it was awesome, and I don't think that's nostalgia talking

Illavick
Sep 15, 2012

WHENA MINA RENA VATIVE

Sheep-Goats posted:

It's the loaf shaped things at Friendly Donut in Henderson, Nevada. Nothing else is close.

The corners are all crisp. The interior soft and moist and warm, almost like cake (but not at all like cake doughnut). Faint hint of buttermilk throughout and at the very end a touch of lemon.

Looks a lot like a French cruller. Tim Horton's sells them under the name honey cruller and while they aren't mainstream enough to be considered best, I would like to throw them some love. They're a lot more airy and softer than most donuts and make you feel like less of a fat rear end for eating one.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
is there big difference between an eclair and a boston kreme donut other than shape?

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
One has custard and the other whipped cream, I thought?

e: yeah I'd go with what this guy said lol. I don't even really eat donuts anymore so I don't know poo poo
vvvv

damn horror queefs fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 11, 2016

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

thathonkey posted:

is there big difference between an eclair and a boston kreme donut other than shape?

Eclair is baked choux pastry, Boston Kreme is fried dough. They both have vanilla custard inside and topped with dark chocolate ganache, traditionally.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
Old Fashioned

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Jimmy johnson sausage donut the old greasy ringaloo that comes out the same way it goes in (ur ahole)

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
voodoo donuts are just lovely donuts with a bunch of dumb poo poo thrown on top, dont trust people who think they're anything beyond poo poo

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

AHH FUGH posted:

voodoo donuts are just lovely donuts with a bunch of dumb poo poo thrown on top, dont trust people who think they're anything beyond poo poo

This applies to any food business where there's multiple layers of random poo poo encrusting the top of formerly normal proletarian food, i. e, the now (thankfully) old gourmet cupcakes fad

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Walnut anything disappeared. Walnut oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are the original chunky cookies, but retarded idiot fuckups just put big chunks of chocolate in cookies now to call them chunky. Homemade is the only way to go now.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ArbitraryC posted:

Plain old fashioned.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Old fashion get a solid #2 spot. They're always pretty great and I've never had a bad one but they're never completely amazing. A safe choice.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

All Donuts Are Good!!!

if u live in the birthplace of our great nation (philadelphia), beiler's donuts in reading terminal are, in fact, the best donuts. if you dont live in philadelphia i guess your life is just goipng to never be as good as it could be, sry.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Walnut anything disappeared. Walnut oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are the original chunky cookies, but retarded idiot fuckups just put big chunks of chocolate in cookies now to call them chunky. Homemade is the only way to go now.

Blame china. Chinese demand has screwed up nut prices in general making walnuts more expensive. This year though it looks like prices might be coming down

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My Peyton is allergic to any sort of nuts, I will not be visiting THIS establishment again! :mad:

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

OctoberBlues posted:

I feel like I would have to fight homeless people for those donuts, which I'm not necessarily opposed to...

you gotta go with friends, brings some weapons. hobos are wily and possessed of a mean sort of cunning.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

thathonkey posted:

$3 a piece? psh you can milk these dumbasses for way more than that. the gourmet donut place i was referring to above charge like $5-6 a pop for theirs even if it's just a pretty standard donut.

federal donuts charges either $11 or $20 a dozen (for "fancy" donuts) and their donuts are lame and cakey. if they didn't also serve coffee and fried chicken i would hate them and pray for their death, but as it is, they also serve coffee, and fried chicken.

hipster donuts are an expensive scourge. we the people must stand up for ourselves, and our right, to affordable fried dough!

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

To be honest, sometimes the best doughnut to me is when the grocery store has the day old doughnuts on sale - $1.99 for a dozen. I freeze them and they last for about month - heat them up in the microwave and the money saved on those 16 cent donuts is delicious. :)

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I like a good old fashion raspberry jelly doughnut with powdered sugar on it.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

OctoberBlues posted:

To be honest, sometimes the best doughnut to me is when the grocery store has the day old doughnuts on sale - $1.99 for a dozen. I freeze them and they last for about month - heat them up in the microwave and the money saved on those 16 cent donuts is delicious. :)

That's thrift on a level I've only seen my 90 year old grandma execute

Donuts are basically free as they are

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Sheep-Goats posted:

That's thrift on a level I've only seen my 90 year old grandma execute

Donuts are basically free as they are

I am basically a 90 year old grandma at heart - I scrimp and save as if I grew up during the depression.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello

FlimFlam Imam posted:

I like a good old fashion raspberry jelly doughnut with powdered sugar on it.

Since I never actually answered the primary thread topic this is my answer.

Anyone who thinks a plain-rear end unflavoured donut is the best one should be put on some kind of federal list so the normal population can shun you deviant sickos

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
as a native portlander it loving blows my mind that people wait for 30+ minutes for those oversweet, stale, and otherwise highly :mediocre: donuts

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Those look like giant Oreo O's

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
cream cheese icing glazed cake donut

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
For some reason a group of people I talk to online likes to argue if it's a type of donut or a flavor of donut and somehow I'm the only one advocating that a particular type can be many different flavors.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

SeXReX posted:

For some reason a group of people I talk to online likes to argue if it's a type of donut or a flavor of donut and somehow I'm the only one advocating that a particular type can be many different flavors.

There is only one opinion and it is All Donuts Are Good

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
those hostess chocolate donuts that are like 20% concrete dust and the chocolate is made of wax

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Luther Burgers

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

My first job when I was 15 was as a donut fryer. When I was 18 I worked at a different bakery that also had me working with donuts. With several years of "inside knowledge" I can tell you the best donut is a simple yeast donut with chocolate icing. Second up would be a cake donut with cinnamon and sugar. And finally, third would be a cake donut with chocolate icing and sprinkles (if you're a kid).

Feel free to PM me any of your donut questions.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
how many donuts can you balance on your head? send us your pics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
BEAR CLAWS

• Locked thread