Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

:siren: The Lost Village (Mayoiga) :siren:
Diomedea | Mizushima, Tsutomu | Drama, Mystery | Apr 1, 2016
A shady bus tour of young men and women are headed to an elusive village called Nanakimura. A destination where people can partake in an utopian existence, free of the world's obstacles... or so goes the rumor. Heading deep into the mountains, the bus is carrying 30 different individuals, each harboring their own expectations and troubled hearts... What they had arrived to was an uninhabited village with lingering, faint scents of life and it was falling apart. Just what is the secret of Nanakimura?
Links:

Director: Tsutomu Mizushima (Shirobako, Prison School)
Writer: Mari Okada (Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day, Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans)

Cast:

Bus Driver
VA: Mikami, Satoshi
Drives the bus

Dahara
VA: Takahashi, Shinya
Representative of the organization sponsoring the tour: "It's Super Genesis" or ISG, the Mystery Emperor, Dahara!

Dozaemon
VA: Shingaki, Tarusuke
Wants to get out of his hum-drum "dozaemon" lifestyle.

Hyouketsu no Judgness
VA: Abe, Atsushi
If you get too close, you'll get frostbite.

Jack
VA: Miyoshi, Kousuke
Jack.

Jigoku no Gouka
VA: Horie, Shun
Life's all about survival!

Lion
VA: Igarashi, Hiromi
Is Lion.

Lovepon
VA: Kakuma, Ai
Joined to protect her identity.

Maimai
VA: Shimizu, Ayaka
Dealing with friends and stuff just got really annoying lately.

Manbe
VA: Majima, Junji
Destined husband of Piitan.

Masaki
VA: Aisaka, Yuuka
Nice to meet you!

Mikage
VA: Hasegawa, Yoshiaki
Elite, here because the beaten path wasn't good enough.

Mitsumune
VA: Sakai, Koudai
Truly the most hosed up of them all.

Nanko
VA: Tada, Konomi
The famious PI.

Narna
VA: Nakaya, Sayaka
All dried up from the Tokyo Desert.

Nettaiya
VA: Nakamura, Sakura
Escaping a stalker.

Nyanta
VA: Inagawa, Eri
A gun lover.

Piitan
VA: Lynn
Destined husband of Manbe.

Pink Goddess (Yamauchi)
VA: Narumi, Kazuki
A shell of his former self, just wants to live a carefree life.

Puuko
VA: Sugiura, Shiori
Eve, looking for her Adam.

Soy Latte
VA: Lynn
Wants a fresh start!

Speedstar
VA: Yashiro, Taku
Is intrigued.

Toshiboy
VA: Takahashi, Shinya
Doesn't think he ever was his true self before now.

Toriyasu
VA: Shingaki, Tarusuke
Off to a world with no currency exchange.

Varukana
VA: Suzuki, Tatsuhisa
Gonna make sure things stay under control!

Wankoro
VA: Amasaki, Kouhei
Dying, wants to do something interesting before X_X

Yottsun
VA: Majima, Junji
Soulful rapper.

Yuuna
VA: Yuasa, Kaede
Wants to create a world where women can lead meaningful lives.

Yuune
VA: Tada, Konomi
Had to change her name because "Yuuna" was already taken.

Yuuno
VA: Senbongi, Sayaka
Ditto

Koharun
VA:
Researcher who found Nanakimura.

Watch it on Crunchyroll!

devtesla fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

This anim is good

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

gj giving the best character the biggest picture

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

Lion
VA: Igarashi, Hiromi
Is Lion.

lol

The Devil Tesla posted:

Masaki
VA: Aisaka, Yuuka
Nice to meet you! Pukey.

Fixed.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

She is already very embarrassed about that and I didn't want to make it worse!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
So this is... some kind of David Lynch-influenced mystery show? Anime LOST?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Agronox posted:

Kinda! What it most reminds me of is The Future Diary, in that it works as horror-suspense and as a farce.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Agronox posted:

Darkly comic slasher show, near as I can tell.

Everyone gonna get eaten by werebears.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

The Devil Tesla posted:

Kinda! What it most reminds me of is The Future Diary, in that it works as horror-suspense and as a farce.

And it has the Shirobako director. All right, sign me up!

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Agronox posted:

"what if dangan ronpa was on a bus"

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

The Devil Tesla posted:

What it reminds me of is King's Game which is also allegedly a horror-suspense thing but ends up just being farcically stupid that it ends up being so bad it's good (albeit only just).

The other thing it reminds me of is Another which is understandable because they have the same director. It's also worrying because Another was just bad.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

darealkooky posted:

"what if dangan ronpa was on a bus"
i'm enjoying the series basically for this. i also got prof. layton vibes from the look/atmosphere of the village, it looks really nice!

also,

The Devil Tesla posted:

Hyouketsu no Judgness
VA: Abe, Atsushi
If you get too close, you'll get frostbite.
same, same

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

What it reminds me of is King's Game which is also allegedly a horror-suspense thing but ends up just being farcically stupid that it ends up being so bad it's good (albeit only just).

The other thing it reminds me of is Another which is understandable because they have the same director. It's also worrying because Another was just bad.

Actually, Another was good and funny.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dragonatrix posted:

It's also worrying because Another was just bad.

no it wasn't :mad:

random screencaps :

Seriously though, this show is extremely enjoyable because it's like some sort of large cast self aware slasher where anything can happen : most of the cast is either on the spectrum, plain insane or has "designated murder victim" written on them, the village is creepy as gently caress (the hell is that weird tyre statue in the middle of the village?), there's this mysterious "unlucky hypopotamus" figure being alluded to (something like the Yellow King in True Detective?), most of the character interactions are nonsensical (eveyone forgetting that the bus driver tried to murder them 2 seconds ago) and there's already the possibility of giant werebears murdering people.

Now let's start taking bets on who's gonna die next episode. Aside from Yottsun "the rapping rapist", I can't quite decide. Maybe one of the Yuuno/e/a?

Creamed Cormp fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 10, 2016

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I think people basically expected another to be like, really serious horror which is why they hate it irrationally

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

WitchFetish posted:

there's this mysterious "unlucky hypopotamus" figure being alluded to (something like the Yellow King in True Detective?),

Are you sure this was meant to be an allusion to the character? It just seemed to me to be a nursery rhyme about death, a la "Solomon Grundy"; a good setting of the tone, but little else.

Anyhow, I am intrigued by all this, but that is a whole bunch of (generally awful) characters to keep track of, so if at least one person doesn't die by next episode, I will get annoyed.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

The main character(?) is the stupidest out of this whole group of insane people. Even more than the eye patch chuuni guy, who looks way too old to be doing that.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Demicol posted:

The main character(?) is the stupidest out of this whole group of insane people. Even more than the eye patch chuuni guy, who looks way too old to be doing that.

FREEZING JUDGENESS is 15 years old

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

lets hang out posted:

FREEZING JUDGENESS is 15 years old

Well, that is still way too old to be doing that.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

:eng101:

quote:

"Hyppopotamus" by Nokoinoko, a Japanese song, was based on the poem (Solomon Grundy). It was aired on "Hirake Ponkikki," a TV show for kids, and became popular in 1970s. The strange lyrics made it a cult song and it was used in the "Mayoiga" anime in 2016.

I've only had a chance to see the first episode, but I'm intrigued by whatever the heck is going on and will probably be sticking with this for awhile.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I started scrolling through the cast list and partway through I was reminded of Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk for some reason. Probably the "cast of weirdos with dark secrets all on a bus" thing. I scrolled up and the synopsis actually kind of fits that, too. Is this much like that (a sort of anthology of short stories about the (extremely hosed up) cast interspersed in a larger plot), or is it a slasher/murder mystery thing, which is the other thing it sounds like it could be? Haunted was pretty neat, outside of things like the horrible rapey bits, so something like that without the horrible things for their own sake/because the author's an rear end in a top hat would be cool.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

I started scrolling through the cast list and partway through I was reminded of Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk for some reason. Probably the "cast of weirdos with dark secrets all on a bus" thing. I scrolled up and the synopsis actually kind of fits that, too. Is this much like that (a sort of anthology of short stories about the (extremely hosed up) cast interspersed in a larger plot), or is it a slasher/murder mystery thing, which is the other thing it sounds like it could be? Haunted was pretty neat, outside of things like the horrible rapey bits, so something like that without the horrible things for their own sake/because the author's an rear end in a top hat would be cool.

Yeah, I read Haunted too and I was wondering if it would be similar, but this seems like it will be a lot more like Lost as I don't feel like people are going to start going mad from the lack of the sun or w/e, and we have an actual outside entity affecting things here.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fiend Computer posted:

Yeah, I read Haunted too and I was wondering if it would be similar, but this seems like it will be a lot more like Lost as I don't feel like people are going to start going mad from the lack of the sun or w/e, and we have an actual outside entity affecting things here.

Alright; I never watched Lost, but that could be interesting too. The short-stories-within-a-larger-story thing is more what I'm interested in anyway; it's been a while since I've seen something do that, and Lost kind of did that too really, so if this does that well then the overall narrative being about some weird external force rather than awful people sabotaging themselves, that's perfectly fine.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Something tells me that these people will be sabotaging themselves anyway, mysterious force or no.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Just watched this. Kinda weird. I'm getting a major Shiki vibe from this. First episode felt very unsettling and wrong, and I felt the music did a particularly good job there. (Masaru Yokoyama? I know nothing else from his portfolio, oh well...) I don't like the character designs very much, but oh well. They're distinguishable enough by their individual flavours of being hosed in the head.

I hope they go all-out bitter black humour on this. I call first blood middle of next episode :haw:

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
The second episode was just kind of okay; like there's some obvious problems with these people and the fact that some of them feel suddenly unburdened by social mores and common sense means that poo poo is going to go bad quickly (such as the one girl immediately jumping to the idea of executing trespassers). But then there were parts of the episode that while trying to show some obvious lack of social skills in the MC, just came across as way too doofy for me to take seriously ("Am I falling for every girl....nope, I definitely don't want to bang this girl. I should tell her.")

Also it seemed that the village symbol looked like a stick figure hanging upside down and there was that weird looking human figure in the village playground. Maybe there were some creepy Wicker Man type poo poo going on in the village.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

WitchFetish posted:

Now let's start taking bets on who's gonna die next episode. Aside from Yottsun "the rapping rapist", I can't quite decide. Maybe one of the Yuuno/e/a?

Of course they made the black guy a rapist.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Please do not post in this thread, Pavlov

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
This show is :gooncamp: the anime. That's going to be hard to resist.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Irony-watchers: :getout:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

Irony-watchers: :getout:

Does it count as ironywatching when the humour appears to be at least partially intentional?

Pretty sure that Okada and Mizushima are going for maximum camp here, and the cast being a literal busload of Internet stereotypes is just part of that.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah, if you expect something 100% serious this is not going to be a show for you, and I think a scene like the one where Houkaku no Judgeness and Jack have a chat should have clued you in. I think this will play out like some sort of semi-serious slasher movie, except with a slight modern japanese pop culture twist to it (so instead of like jock, nerd, stoner, slut, token black guy, pure virgin and so on we get chuuni, gun otaku, akward loner, weirdo couple and so on).

fake edit :
- I hope the gun otaku and the survival nutjob get together before they die, they would make the best idiot couple.
- I bet that Piitan and Manbe are running away because they are a disgusting incest couple. I mean, they said something like "our parents don't want us to marry" so I'm most likely right.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

^^^ I think we actually do have most of the traditional slasher flick stereotypes. It even looks like it's going to be black guy dies first. It's just a big cast so we get extra spergs and crazies too.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

WitchFetish posted:

- I bet that Piitan and Manbe are running away because they are a disgusting incest couple. I mean, they said something like "our parents don't want us to marry" so I'm most likely right.

I took it as their RESPECTIVE parents don't want them to marry, you know, a la Romeo and Juliet? They might end up dying in the same way to make it more melodramatic.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Petiso posted:

I took it as their RESPECTIVE parents don't want them to marry, you know, a la Romeo and Juliet? They might end up dying in the same way to make it more melodramatic.

That's entirely reasonable, but I'm expecting a ~~shocking twist~~ because that would be more entertaining, wouldn't it?

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
Shocking twist: everyone assumes gun-otaku's uzi is just airsoft, but it turns out to be a real uzi

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
2 minutes in the first episode and Yottsun has captivated my heart.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

thats unfortunate

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Davincie posted:

thats unfortunate

Now I'm scared for the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon