Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I started scrolling through the cast list and partway through I was reminded of Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk for some reason. Probably the "cast of weirdos with dark secrets all on a bus" thing. I scrolled up and the synopsis actually kind of fits that, too. Is this much like that (a sort of anthology of short stories about the (extremely hosed up) cast interspersed in a larger plot), or is it a slasher/murder mystery thing, which is the other thing it sounds like it could be? Haunted was pretty neat, outside of things like the horrible rapey bits, so something like that without the horrible things for their own sake/because the author's an rear end in a top hat would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fiend Computer posted:

Yeah, I read Haunted too and I was wondering if it would be similar, but this seems like it will be a lot more like Lost as I don't feel like people are going to start going mad from the lack of the sun or w/e, and we have an actual outside entity affecting things here.

Alright; I never watched Lost, but that could be interesting too. The short-stories-within-a-larger-story thing is more what I'm interested in anyway; it's been a while since I've seen something do that, and Lost kind of did that too really, so if this does that well then the overall narrative being about some weird external force rather than awful people sabotaging themselves, that's perfectly fine.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Started actually watching this. Currently on episode two; I like Mikage's response to people trying to screw the bus driver after the crash. Not going to help the man because of the "starting new lives" thing? Alright fuckers, let's go all-in on it, then; give him all your money. It's not like we'll need it in our new lives. There isn't any real response you can make to that. I think I like him; he's kind of an abrasive dick, but he seems cool otherwise. Edit: Though it seems like everyone else sucks, if I interpreted that scene right. Wow, what jerks.

Valkana (Varukana?) can go sit on a cactus or something, though. What an rear end in a top hat.

I'm not sure what to make of this show yet; first episode was some sort of dark comedy or a mix of horror and farce or something, and everything feels a bit off. It still reminds me of Haunted somewhat, too, which makes sense since that was a weird horror-comedy-satire mix as well. I'm optimistic, though reading this thread it sounds like things are going to get not-great later in this episode, which I'm not looking forward to.

Edit: Lion's pretty good too. The main character's kind of a dumbass, though. Also probably crazy, but that's tangential.

Edit again: Holy crap Judgness is such a dweeb. That was embarrassing to watch.

Edit the fourth: Ahahahaha, Mitsumune unintentionally insulting the girl who was trying to mess with him because she doesn't like him was pretty good. She seemed to miss the irony of the situation, though.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Apr 14, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I like and fully agree with execution girl.

She was a bit to keen on the idea when it came to the bus driver, but I'm not sure I have any objections to Lovepon's suggestion re: Yottsun, no.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh, I had forgotten about their whole "start a new life" thing. Man, that's a pretty huge thing for someone to do; outside of the desperate ones (girl being stalked, guy whose business went under, etc.) and the ones who were skeptical of the whole thing (detective, rich rear end in a top hat), I wonder what really got them to do something that crazy.

Also, Valkana's actually finally done something I liked in getting people to stop bullying Masaki. Dude's an rear end in a top hat control freak, but at least he's not awful about everything.

Speedstar's being a creep, though, which is a shame because he was one of the ones on my "kind of like" list.

I do like Maimai's being likely right about Mitsumune being dangerous, even if her reasons for it are completely off.

Judgeness freaking out is both funny and embarrassing. Augh.

...And I wasn't expecting Jack's flip out. That was decidedly less funny, wow. Though, I guess he's someone with a real reason to be here too.

Oh wow, Lovepon is getting way to into this execution thing. She looks so excited about the "execution room".

Aaand we're learning why Valkana's how he is. Well, that's a pretty sympathetic story. Guy needs to stop being such an rear end himself, but he's moved up quite a few notches on my character rankings. (Used to be near the bottom, now he's above all the people I don't really care about because they haven't done much of anything and whatnot.) ...Though his reaction to Koharun made him take a hit and move back down a little again.

Holy poo poo Lovepon, what the hell is wrong with you. This is the person who needs to be in that jail here.

...And now she's trying to kill Mitsumune. He's not my favorite character but that's a bit extreme. ...Though wow, that's not the right reaction to someone trying to kill you either, dude.

Oh, and hey there, Yottsun. You're looking more intact than I was expecting.

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, apart from the redundancy. :v:

I hadn't gotten that far when I posted that.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Oh, maybe Pukey killed him? And earlier she went away alone to hide his body?

I'm not sure. Masaki could have been lying, but, well, we don't know. We saw the bloody claw marks on the tree, but we also saw Yottsun in seemingly one piece at the end of the episode, and next episode is apparently called "Yottsun's Drowning".

There are a lot of little things but very little solid evidence to go on here.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

dogsicle posted:

the werebear theory is weird. dunno what even started it, lol

Probably the weird print that was supposedly a mix of a bear's paw print and a human footprint.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lion is as fed up with the rest of the cast and the situation as we are and is therefore the best Mitsumune replacement for when he goes and gets himself killed getting aroused by the werebear instead of running away or something. Failing that, Jack escaping (assuming we don't return to the jail cell and find him dead in there or something) and starting to kill everyone as the new protagonist would be acceptable too.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just started watching the latest episode so I can't comment on all the chat above, but clearly the most important thing from this episode is that we got confirmation that catgirl's guns are fake. Or at least some of them are; maybe she has a real handgun in there or something.

Also Lovepon is just getting more and more ridiculous every episode, jeez.

Edit: Is it bad that I keep forgetting Masaki's name and mentally referring to her as "Pukey" until I get reminded of it somehow?

Edit again: Yeah, I think people are hearing/seeing things based on their fears and whatnot. Or at least for the hearing part; someone other than Judgness saw Jack there before the chuuni went over the cliff and all, so whether or not the others saw the "giant Mitsumune" remains to be seen I guess. Unless that was the real Jack, but I'm betting he got taken or something rather than that actually being him. We also got Valkana and Koharun not seeing the bus driver's daughter, after all.

Also, next episode's title is a bit foreboding. Guessing we're going to lose at least one Yuuna in it.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 23, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Aw hell yeah this anime is good.

Is a giant Mitsumine really all that terrifying though?

Maybe terrifyingly annoying.

Well among other things, it would mean that there are at least two Mitsumunes in the world, perhaps more. That alone is a terrifying concept.

Besides, imagine all the things that creep could do if he were a giant.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh my gosh. Watching this now, the characters misremembering Judgness's name (while mostly ignoring that he fell off a cliff and probably died) is amazing. This is wonderful dark humor.

Edit: Oh wow, Mikage is losing his mind. I was expecting him to hold it together better.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 30, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Valsu posted:

How is the entire group just ignoring how loving crazy Lovepon is? She's clearly the most problematic and needs to go.

Being predisposed against other people she also is against and thus ignoring her insanity because she's on "their side"?

I dunno, though, given that they locked Jack up for trying to kill Judgness, after what she's been doing they should be turning on her as well.

Anyway, huh. Lion, you're still one of my favorites in this, but is "I see dead people" really the best lie you could come up with? I mean, it worked, but, still.

Also Mitsumune's still a dumbass and a creep and Lion's probably right about him actually being the most dangerous/crazy one there. The tour guide's kind of a loser too but it's hilarious to see him continuously get beaten by Valkana without the latter even trying.

And then there was... That. That was quite odd, to say the least.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phobophilia posted:

Mari Okada has a tendency of writing characters that can not or will not communicate with one another properly, and she just took this to its logical conclusion.

I hope everyone dies

Hey, they had a very productive conversation about Judgness's name. They concluded that he's an rear end, among other things. "Assbound Catacomb".

Also I briefly forgot that Lovepon actually outright tried to kill Mitsumune. Someone should bring that back up because if it's enough to get Jack locked up she shouldn't be out running around either.

Tangent, it's hilarious that, after freaking out about how he can't trust anyone and might get killed in his sleep by one of them, he teamed up with Lovepon and the two weapon nuts. Seriously, Mikage, Lovepon is constantly talking about killing people, she should be the last person you invite to join you. Then again, given his ranting this episode he's probably pretty dangerous himself.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Apr 30, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phobophilia posted:

A proper response would have been "we were busy discussing your return and Jack's escape, talking about what the driver saw would have been a distraction. And the driver could have been mistaken." Instead, they let some rear end in a top hat try to polarise everyone into factions even harder.

Mikage's probably one of the most dangerous people in this, really; he wants to act like he's the smart, in-control guy, but it turns out he's actually the control freak that everyone thought Valkana was, and now that he can't get out and people aren't listening to him he is attacking everyone around him. The more I think about it, the more it actually makes perfect sense that, after his whole "I can't trust any of you to not kill me" moment he teamed up with Lovepon and the survival nuts; he wants to be the leader again and needs followers. Sooner or later he's going to get pissed off people aren't listening to him and either attack someone or get his group to do it.

guts and bolts posted:

The Most Powerful Power Rankings

Best Characters
  • Valkana
Worst Characters
  • Everyone else

I actually find myself kinda liking Speedstar (I was convinced he wasn't real, and was instead some Tyler Durden externalized personality that Mitsumune created, RIP that theory) even if he comes across as controlling; Mitsumune really is kind of a dope. It strikes me as less that Mitsumune is "off" or creepy (I honestly don't know why everyone is leaping to MITSUMUNE IS A CREEP seems kinda aggressive) and more that Mitsumune is the protagonist from a completely separate show. He'd fit right in if this were anything other than a horror parody anime, but instead both the other characters and the audience assume there is something seriously wrong with him when he's instead just Anime Guy in a setting where Icebound rear end and Lovepon are somehow considered "normal."

Lion is annoying, not sure why people like her; she doesn't really have any solid jokes so far and is just generally an irritant.

Lovepon's shtick has worn thin and I'm now actively rooting for her to be dead within the next two episodes or so.

Lion is constantly calling people out and expressing irritation at the others, which is appreciated. Also she's correctly pegged Mitsumune as a creep and her defusing the argument, while strange, definitely worked, so she's one of the few characters in this actually using their head.

As for Mitsumune, he's constantly perving over the girls and saying weird things to them, and he also had that weird freakout back in episode... One? Two maybe? So there's definitely something going on with him. Possibly related to abusive parents, given the text messages he got back in the beginning; those were pretty messed up. Might be why he just goes along with everything no matter what. But yeah, staring at Lovepon's breasts as she tried to murder him, and things like his "oh huh yeah I guess I am stalking the girls, haha" are really creepy and weird.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

resurgam40 posted:

Couldn't tell you about Nyanta, though.

She's a werecat, clearly. She came here to meet her werebear cousins; the gun thing is just an excuse. Not that she isn't really, really into guns, of course.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, these monsters are all... Interesting, so far. Jigoku's is particularly disturbing, though none are pleasant; they did a good job with those things. Even Lovepon's rather simple one was made unpleasant with that twitching and everything. Also I'm increasingly sure that the Jack Judgness saw was the "monster" rather than the real Jack, since that was his fear. Maybe; depends on how other people see "someone else's" monster. I guess we'll know next episode depending on how Masaki reacts to Mitsumune's weird thing. Unless she is the source of this or whatever. Who knows.

Also Nana (Naana? Narna?) calling Koharun out on being weird for just starting to sing out of nowhere was great, as was Dahara running for Koharun with his arms open and her running right past him to go talk to Valkana. His constant failure to get her attention amuses me a lot. The balance of humor with weirdness is definitely one of this show's strengths.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 7, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Valsu posted:

That hanya chasing Lovepon was pretty creepy. gently caress everything about a giant wasp that shoots smaller wasps from its back, though. :eek:

The twitching is what made the mask really creepy instead of kind of boring compared to the others. Really, all four of them had minor details that really escalated the terror factor. The wasp had those holes the smaller wasps emerged from (and that pulsed and quivered, that was nasty), Mikage's train had the eye rolling around inside the socket and stuff, and Jigoku's weird breast-monster was emerging from flayed flesh that flapped around on the back of that... Mechanical spider-thing.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neeksy posted:

"This girl said I should believe in myself and strive to become a better, more reliable person."
"gently caress THAT CHICK SHE'S CLEARLY EVIL"

To be honest I was kind of surprised at his backstory, but the guilt and identity complex really explains his behavior so far and why he's such a doormat.

Yeah, no kidding. His story is horrible and it kind of blasted away most of the negativity I had towards him. No wonder he's so... Mitsumune-ish, jeez. Especially since Speedstar seems to be his one friend and is... Well. Yeah.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I've been getting that vibe since the start of the show. Like, it's not that they don't realize how shady this whole thing is, it's that most of them either don't care (or they're the one or two skeptical characters who are there because it's shady.)

Haven't had time to see the latest episode but that sounds like exactly the direction I was hoping it'd take.

On that topic, I like that despite Mikage seeming like he was a skeptic, he was actually just like everyone else. Nanko (who, despite featuring in the preview from the last episode and narrating it, didn't get a big origin reveal like the others here) is the only non-guide person who might be here for skepticism/investigation rather than trauma, though she's probably got something too. Though if she doesn't and winds up being immune to all the bullshit because she doesn't care, that'd be amazing. Either way, her and Lion have shown why they're still among my favorites in this (though Valkana disappointed me with, despite his objections, holding back Mitsumune instead of the person actually trying to kill someone) and I hope they continue to be cool and smart, unlike nearly everyone else in this.

Anyway, wow. This show is kind of amazing; the balancing the farcical (their ridiculous ghost-hunting preparations) with the horrifying (Mitsumune's past, the mob mentality when they actually catch Masaki) is still great, and they actually managed to make me sort of like Mitsumune because the twist with him actually fit everything that came before and made sense. I really wasn't expecting this show to be so good, and I'm still kind of expecting for something to just go horribly wrong with it for some reason.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Speedstar's monster is also a giant Mitsumune. However, unlike Maimai's, it sees Speedstar, then runs the gently caress away from him, causing Speedstar to chase it. Hopefully off of a cliff.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Was there even anything to "Speedstar doesn't exist" or was it just speculation based on him only interacting with Mitsumune at first and Mitsumune being a weirdo who none of us thought could have friends? I forget if there was more it it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, that was interesting. Also I like how Lion and Nanko, two I picked out from the beginning as ones I thought I'd like, have turned out to indeed be cool and are now the reasonable, not-lovely people team. Koharun and Valkana ( the latter of whom I did not like at the beginning but won me over) are also good and seem to be another regular team at this point (and to which Dahara is not invited), so that's good too.

Cake Attack posted:

play spot the animation gently caress up

Hey, Koharun's one of the good characters, so twice the Koharun can only be a good thing.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh, I just realized that apparently Misaki actually has the "power" I was speculating Nanko might have an episode or so ago (while Nanko herself basically admitted here that no, she has some lovely past too). I was half-joking about that before but that actually being a thing here is hilarious.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Elfen Lied is awful, and also incest is not a common thing in Japan based on what data I've been able to find with my Googling (which feels incredibly awkward). Making assumptions about Japan based on anime, or worse yet a fan wiki about a bad fetish anime, is not a good idea.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I'm going to change the subject here.

I'm glad life is kicking Dahara in the balls cause that dude is a major loser.

The endless suffering of Dahara is one of my favorite parts of this show. Which makes me half-expect that the show's going to Mitsumune him and actually make him likable eventually, but given that he's an actual adult if they did that it probably wouldn't work so well.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wonder what Koharun's agenda is. The people who were attacked by Jack and Judgeness were the proactive ones who aren't completely batshit (Mikage and Lovepon being proactive but also crazy and on the completely wrong track), so maybe they're trying to keep people from figuring things out or something. It doesn't explain why Koharun didn't just kill Valkana one of the many times they were alone together, though, unless there's something else going on. Maybe she's got some connection to the place/is some weird entity and thus can't actually act on things like that or something and needs agents to do it for her. Though that would be seemingly disconnected from everything else that's been happening and what we know about the village, so maybe she just didn't feel a need to deal with him previously. Either way, from what I can tell her goal is to keep people there, for whatever reason. Maybe; all I can guess from her having her goons attack the guy who's doing poo poo and the girls who are actually figuring things out while leaving the rest alone.

There's still a lot we don't know about this, really. I wonder how much will remain a mystery when it's all over.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, that was interesting. I agree that the ending kind of lacked impact after everything that came before it, but on the whole I rather liked this show. I quite liked the horror/farce thing they did and wouldn't mind seeing more things like that in the future.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think it would have benefited from being thirteen episodes rather than twelve; this last episode felt like it was trying to wrap everything up ASAP. Even skipping the opening entirely, if felt cramped, skipped over some things (like Nanko and Valkana kicking rear end apparently), and then kind of just ended. It was still entertaining, but, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, Lion either had some power or thought she did, and others thought so too, and her mother used that to sell things to supposedly help the people who were going to die to make money. Which apparently was working well, given how nice her place looked in Lion's flashback.

It's also why Lion doesn't want to go back in the end, I imagine; she's still a kid and has nothing to go back to except being used as a tool by her mother, so, her problem is a present one (beyond its effects on her psyche) as much as it is a past one. It's a bit of a downer, really; there's no happy ending for her either way, so the best she can do is not go back.

• Locked thread