Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Just watched this. Kinda weird. I'm getting a major Shiki vibe from this. First episode felt very unsettling and wrong, and I felt the music did a particularly good job there. (Masaru Yokoyama? I know nothing else from his portfolio, oh well...) I don't like the character designs very much, but oh well. They're distinguishable enough by their individual flavours of being hosed in the head.

I hope they go all-out bitter black humour on this. I call first blood middle of next episode :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Woah. I still kinda think the show looks ugly, but this is seriously compelling. It's just so thoroughly vicious about taking the piss out of characters, I hope this continues all the way through the show. :allears:

I'm gonna laugh my rear end off if Valkana turns out to be the least psychotic one in the end.

Favorites so far: Mitsumune, because I HATE HATE HATE his character type and he gets exactly the treatment he deserves (oh boy I just HAVE to know where the story takes that dude...), Mikage because he's being a glorious failure and an rear end, Koharun because she's one among many who's clearly up to something aaaaaand... that constantly eating dude whose name I can't find, because he's such a aggressively useless lazy dude and I kinda expect him to do something absolutely screwed up sooner or later.

I didn't expect this, but this is quickly shooting up in the ranks for me. Second best, maybe

I'm sorry, JoJo

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Well, chances are the Mayoiga people already know how their show is gonna end, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand there's no flashback gimmick

Two advantages over Lost! You decide if being anime is a plus or not. :v:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Hagop posted:

So I am going to add the new theory that this is anime Identity (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0309698/) not anime Lost.

Oh gently caress it's Identity

It's definitely not the worst movie I have ever seen, yet the longer it went on, the more I developed a visceral hatred for the entire concept

I really, really hope Mayoiga does not resemble Identity in any way, especially regarding twists and setting and twists about the setting

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Huh. I only just now remembered to catch up on the last three episodes of Mayoiga. Glad I did that, show continues to be good. I really like Mikage - he's such a pathetic rear end in a top hat, yet he keeps trying to be the smart leader, it's hilarious. Once he loses his mind completely, it'll be great. :allears:
I still don't trust Mitsumune. These last few episodes, the show wasn't quite as harsh on him as I thought it would be. He's amazingly decent, if kinda pathetic so far. But who knows, I'm sure he'll freak out for real sooner or later, leading to Lion and Nanko taking over as the real protagonists.

I gotta say, though - this show is kinda ugly. Not quite as ugly as Higurashi, another anime that I definitely didn't follow for the pretty pictures, but... bland. Drab. Everybody looks like a 12-year old. Anything beyond staying still and talking looks awkward. Meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

I suspect with many of these monsters that they're deliberately making them look cheap, silly, and unreal. You know, really emphasising that low-budget horror movie aesthetic. Valkana's was basically a big wobbly CG blob, and Nyanta's wasp kind of looked like it was made of papier-mache.

I sure was scared as gently caress by Lovepon's slow-moving still image with its slight mesh deformation

It IS kinda tongue-in-cheek, though... Valkana even remarked that his "monster" moved kinda slowly

• Locked thread