Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
A quarter of a million dollars seems like a pretty low amount of cash for mostly cleaning out a bank. It's obvious the McReary's plan is bad, but holy poo poo barely clearing a million dollars on a bank heist seems extra horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
I remember reading somewhere bank heists these days are extremely unprofitable for one reason or another. Supposedly armored car heists are the way to score big now.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

bbcisdabomb posted:

A quarter of a million dollars seems like a pretty low amount of cash for mostly cleaning out a bank. It's obvious the McReary's plan is bad, but holy poo poo barely clearing a million dollars on a bank heist seems extra horrible.

Niko's outside the family, it's unlikely that the cut was 25/25/25/25. So they probably took several million and gave us a 250 grand.

e: it's also why there's no planning from the player's perspective. Niko's hired help, extremely competent hired help to be sure but he's not in the inner circle yet.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Niko's outside the family, it's unlikely that the cut was 25/25/25/25. So they probably took several million and gave us a 250 grand.

e: it's also why there's no planning from the player's perspective. Niko's hired help, extremely competent hired help to be sure but he's not in the inner circle yet.
That's a good point, although I'd say Niko is pretty close to being in the inner circle by this point because there's no way Packie would ask the hired help to go out with his sister. Of course, Gerald is the man and he obviously doesn't accept Niko until after the bank job, but it seems like the heist was planned by Packie and Derrick anyway.

As for the amount of money that was stolen, let's see if the Liberty Tree newspaper has anything about that:

Liberty Tree website after Three Leaf Clover posted:

A daring raid on a downtown branch of the Bank of Liberty has left one robber dead along with multiple police and civilian casualties. The suspect has been identified as Michael Keane, a convicted felon from Dukes. Four men wearing suits and balaclavas entered the branch and held the customers hostage while blowing the door to the vault with explosives. In the confusion, brave customer Eugene Reaper attempted to stop the robbery and was murdered in cold blood. Three robbers left the bank on foot and fought their way through police before escaping on the subway. Authorities are questioning all known associates of Mr. Keane in an attempt to discover the identities of his accomplices. The Bank of Liberty estimates that in excess of half a million dollars was stolen.

"In excess of half a million" does not sound like very much in this situation.

e: quoting the update post since it was near the bottom of the last page

Doc Morbid posted:

We're hitting the 20-episode mark today, and what better way to celebrate that milestone than this?

Episode 20: Three Leaf Clover (Polsy)

The big bank heist right here is quite possibly the most memorable mission in the entirety of GTA IV, and it really is quite a cool action setpiece even if the mission itself is completely scripted and linear. The whole bank heist also comes out of nowhere, involves no planning, has nothing to do with the plot, and barely gets mentioned ever again after this. Still, there are far worse ways to do a big setpiece mission than ripping off (or paying homage to) that famous bank heist scene from Heat.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Aug 15, 2016

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Episode 21: Actions Speak Louder Than Words (Polsy)

Jimmy Pegorino has told Gerry to cause some problems between the rival Ancelotti mobsters and their Albanian gangster buddies, and the first step of the plan is to blow up a few high-ranking Ancelotti guys. Supposedly, the other Ancelottis are going to think the Albanians did it.

I also show my general incompetence with basic movement and navigation once more. :eng99: I really shouldn't be out of the car at any point, but what can you do.

MUSIC HIGHLIGHT:
(and reason for the latest copyright claim -- apparently the video may be blocked on some devices again, yell at me in the thread if it's unavailable)

Underdog - Back to Back

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I interpret it like the mobsters would think that the meeting was a ruse for the Albanians to plant the bomb

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Yeah, that's probably the idea, although I can see the rival families being equally likely suspects at this point. To be fair, this was just the beginning and we're just starting to make the Ancelottis suspicious of the Albanian muscle. Once we enact the next part of the plan, they'll definitely think the Albanians are out to get them.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint
Kinda funny to have Gerry give a huge monologue about focus when Niko himself came to Liberty City to track someone down and got completely sidetracked doing random crime less than 24 hours after arriving. Now Niko is getting involved with the mafia while the only one who actually remembers his traitor is the U.L. Paper guy.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I have long had the opinion/conspiracy theory that the priorities for Rockstar with this game were:

1. Obsessively detailed recreation of the locale it takes inspiration from
2. Impressive graphics for the time
3. Heat homage (Heist)
4. Telling a gritty, serious story
5. Obsessively detailed recreation of real life cars

100. Making a great GTA game

Luckily for V they dumped #4 and moved #100 to #1 while combining the rest to contribute to making it a great GTA game

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I wish I had enjoyed GTA V as much as most others seem to have, but it didn't grab me in the slightest aside from the heist missions. I didn't care for the three-protagonist thing and had absolutely zero desire to play as Trevor, didn't like how Rockstar seemed to be more interested in writing their amazing social satire (and making a buck with GTA Online shark cards) than making the actual game fun, and certainly didn't like how the best way to make money was the stock market. Of course my favorite GTA games are 2 and 3, so I'm probably not the target audience at this point.

That said, the actual open world is insanely detailed (as it goddamn well should be with the budget and resources they had) and the game mechanics themselves have been improved since GTA IV, and just cruising around and listening to music is as enjoyable as ever.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I didn't play GTA V and am not going to because I don't care for GTA beyond this LP :v:

I thought about why I never cared for any of the GTA games, and I think it's because the protagonists are loving despicable. CJ was marginally less despicable than the others, so I managed to beat San Andreas main story, although I was just powering through by the end.

Ben Carsons Ghost
Oct 27, 2007

What's the music you used at 12:36 in ep 15? I know it was a while ago but I'm still catching up.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

DrHolmesPhD posted:

What's the music you used at 12:36 in ep 15? I know it was a while ago but I'm still catching up.
"FBI Special Agent" from Deadly Premonition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8k1l81b78M

I also used it in an earlier video where Niko was tailing a guy on foot.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Alexeythegreat posted:

I didn't play GTA V and am not going to because I don't care for GTA beyond this LP :v:

I thought about why I never cared for any of the GTA games, and I think it's because the protagonists are loving despicable. CJ was marginally less despicable than the others, so I managed to beat San Andreas main story, although I was just powering through by the end.

Have you played Sleeping Dogs?

Wei Shen is more or less likable, despite his tendency towards leg breaking, head-shotting, and creative use of power tools. He's a helper.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

chiasaur11 posted:

Have you played Sleeping Dogs?

Wei Shen is more or less likable, despite his tendency towards leg breaking, head-shotting, and creative use of power tools. He's a helper.

Oh yeah, Sleeping Dogs is still one of the best open world games this decade. It's a cliche Undercover Cop story you've seen a dozen times over in the movies, but drat if it's not a good one that combines a lot of great mechanics together.

Also, you can sing Take On Me in Karaoke.

As for GTA 4 (I just joined SA, sorry that I'm late), it's obvious that Rockstar wanted this to be their big entry to the 7th gen consoles. For a 2008 game, it still looks pretty good, if a bit murky (But Lost and Damned gets way worse), and it was fun to see Rockstar deconstruct a few of their recurring story beats, but overall it's not a very fun game to actually play. I've been telling myself to give it a second shot for about three years now, but I just cannot get into it.

That, and, to be honest, I just don't like the radio music in GTA 4.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Sleeping Dogs is a fantastic game and I attempted to LP it at one point (about three years ago), but technical issues stopped that project in its tracks before I even uploaded a test video. I also tried to do Saints Row 2 even earlier, slightly before the release of SR: The Third, but that also didn't get off the ground due to similar problems. I may or may not attempt these again at some point before the heat death of the universe, once I'm done with GTA IV, RDR and another project I'm working on. :getin:

Anyway, never mind that, because here is an update!

Episode 22: I Need Your Clothes, Your Boots, And Your Motorcycle (Polsy)

We steal a helicopter on U.L. Paper's orders, spend some time with Dwayne (who is still pretty :smith: over everything that's happened) and finally help out Gerry with the second phase of his plan to get the Ancelottis and the Albanians fighting each other.

I end this episode at a slightly odd spot, because it was taking me forever to get this video done in the first place and I figured I'll just release what would've been the first half of a 40-minute episode.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Hey! A bike chase you can end early. So what would you class as the worst missions in the GTA series?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

So what would you class as the worst missions in the GTA series?
I think my least favorite in the entire series would be Boomshine Blowout from Vice City Stories. The objective is to get a bunch of Phil's boomshine crates out of a burning warehouse, while on a strict timer and driving a forklift that would handle like poo poo even if the camera wasn't fixed in a weird position you can't adjust.

There probably are worse ones that I'm forgetting, but no other mission has actually made me ragequit the game for six months. (edit: actually that is incorrect, because back in '08 I did in fact get a bit stuck on a certain mission in IV and didn't return to it until months later. The very next mission we'll be seeing in the LP, actually!)

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 26, 2016

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I Need Your Clothes, Your Boots, and Your Motorcycle is still my least favorite GTA mission. The guy you chase just doesn't lose momentum no matter what.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I've only really played 1 through San Andreas, I think my least favourite from the PS2 era was Vice City's The Driver. You have this race that's much tougher than the rest, all to convince the guy to drive for you, then you end up having to drive yourself anyway.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

rchandra posted:

I've only really played 1 through San Andreas, I think my least favourite from the PS2 era was Vice City's The Driver. You have this race that's much tougher than the rest, all to convince the guy to drive for you, then you end up having to drive yourself anyway.

Is that the one where you're in a poo poo car and have to complete the entire race track without a single error?
Because I remember it being surprisingly not-horribly unbearable. And I played VC on keyboard.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

In The Driver, you're in a fairly average sedan against this guy driving a souped-up Sabre Turbo muscle car and you get a two-star wanted level during the race. The cops aren't a problem because the route takes you right past a police bribe pickup and once you're back to a 1-star wanted level you don't need to worry about any pursuers, and the race itself is pretty easy as long as you keep your car on the road.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Got to say, as soon as we were informed Nico was was going to have to fly a chopper, I was looking forward to the hand-wavy single line that explains that he can fly due to the war. Because of course it was due to the war as this is a 'serious narrative'. I don't know what other vehicles crop up in this game, but I'm sure if they do appear Nico also flew planes and drove (and fired) tanks, though as they probably wont be in mission we'll just have to assume.

This is just nickpicking BS, but I just feel RockStar is trying to have its cake and eat it here. I don't care that Claude/Tommy/CJ(Though CJ even has the various 'schools' as well as dialogue well into mid game on driving addressed this.) are supermen at everything they do, as they are essentially cartoon characters, that instead of being in Loony Tunes are in a crime video game.

It's just such a narative/gameplay disconnect. I can live with Nico running over hundreds of people on the way from helping out a friend to going to play pool with Kate, as the player is just not roll playing well enough... but I'm going to be interested in hearing why the biker trash PC from the first DLC is also a pilot.

I mean ultimetly I don't really care as game play is more important in a sand box game. But I've been somewhat enjoying the narrative... just if you want to tell a story like this, is a GTA or a sandbox game at all the way to tell it?

The worst mission, is all you had to do was follow the drat train CJ. I'm still not sure the ''correct'' way that works was to complete that one.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.

rchandra posted:

gently caress that mission. The only way I've ever been able to complete it is by blocking the road before the mission starts and shooting Hillary's tires out. Though the only thing that's ever really caused me to ragequit was one specific mission in San Andreas's Driving School side missions. Specifically, the one where you have to ramp the car up on two wheels and steer it towards the target area while remaining on two wheels.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Some of those driving school tests in San Andreas are completely ludicrous and getting gold is seemingly luck-based. Namely, "barrel roll off this ramp, land without a single percent of damage and stop at this exact point" and the "Jump & Stoppie" from the motorcycle school. The latter was actually removed from the iOS/Android releases because it was nearly impossible to pull off even with proper controls.

The final test where you drive the world's most oversteery sports car around San Fierro is also a pain in the rear end, especially on PC where the traffic spawns right in front of you at the worst possible moments. Of course, you also need to finish in a certain amount of time, and must not damage the car.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 28, 2016

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.

Doc Morbid posted:

Some of those driving school tests in San Andreas are completely ludicrous and getting gold is seemingly luck-based. Namely, "barrel roll off this ramp, land without a single percent of damage and stop at this exact point" and the "Jump & Stoppie" from the motorcycle school. The latter was actually removed from the iOS/Android releases because it was nearly impossible to pull off even with proper controls.

That one too, I forgot about that one. I also had a lot of trouble with the time trial mission for James Woods (Mike Toreno, I think the character was?) where you're driving a Monster all through the Las Venturas countryside. That was mostly because my graphics card was poo poo at the time, so I had some desync between the mission timer and the actual gameplay, meaning I could never finish the mission on time. After I upgraded my graphics card and got around to playing it again I finished it first shot with so much time to spare I was flabbergasted.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Paused posted:

This is just nickpicking BS, but I just feel RockStar is trying to have its cake and eat it here. I don't care that Claude/Tommy/CJ(Though CJ even has the various 'schools' as well as dialogue well into mid game on driving addressed this.) are supermen at everything they do, as they are essentially cartoon characters, that instead of being in Loony Tunes are in a crime video game.

This was always my major major problem with this game, more than the driving physics and the missions. I won't say what, but there's a development later in the game that took me from "well this is kinda boring and the driving sucks" to "OK gently caress that and gently caress this"

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Paused posted:

It's just such a narative/gameplay disconnect. I can live with Nico running over hundreds of people on the way from helping out a friend to going to play pool with Kate, as the player is just not roll playing well enough... but I'm going to be interested in hearing why the biker trash PC from the first DLC is also a pilot.

With CJ, I had a related problem - so much of the plot is tied into threats about framing him for murder of a police officer, when he kills hundreds as the PC of a GTA game.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

This is a good thread and a good LP, so thank you for this. I'm glad I caught up.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Episode 23: A Long Way to Fall (Polsy)

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that is not an angle a helicopter should be flying at.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I lost it at Niko taking a phonecall shoulder-deep in water. That's avatar material right there.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Jeff bad

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

We haven't seen the last of our fine friend Jeff yet, stay tuned for the exciting conclusion of the Jeff saga!

The next update is coming tomorrow or the day after. I've actually got the entire rest of the game (15-17 episodes) recorded now, having just finished the last story mission. :woop: Of course, since this is GTA4 PC, I ran into a game-breaking bug in the final mission and ended up having to lock the framerate to 30 to get through. That was fun. At least the final mission does in fact have a checkpoint, a fairly lovely one but one nonetheless.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Episode 24: Taking In the Trash (Polsy)

In which we begin our illustrious career in the waste management business.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Doc Morbid on Dwayne's friend reward posted:

I don't really need AI backup

Pretend I quoted the two times you called for police backup to try thin out some groups of thugs...

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Ephphatha posted:

Pretend I quoted the two times you called for police backup to try thin out some groups of thugs...
That was for demonstration purposes! :pseudo: And well, you saw how useful the backup was on those occasions. Dwayne's goons are somewhat more efficient because one of them at least has a decent weapon, but generally I find AI allies to just get in the way most of the time.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention, but with all the talk of meth, I assumed that's what the mission was about and it took me a bit to realise that "ice" also means diamonds.

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015
We are now getting to the part of the game where i quit playing and never returned. All that driving around and the monotonous shooting missions drove me crazy.

By the way: nice LP.

Rubberduke fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Sep 13, 2016

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Rubberduke posted:

We are now getting to the part of the game where i quit playing and never returned. All that driving around and the monotonous shooting missions drove me crazy.
Yeah, the last third or so of GTA IV drags on for what seems like forever, with just about every mission taking you across the city (often through the Alderney tunnel unless you ignore the GPS :argh:) and having you shoot a few dozen men in some run-down factory or warehouse somewhere. By this point I also started to get genuinely frustrated with the utterly brainless AI traffic as well as the fact the game always spawns a cop right next to me as soon as I even think about doing anything slightly illegal. The endless shootmans missions are even better when you get a random two or three star wanted level on top of them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

To be fair, does GTAIV ever not drag? It takes forever to do anything, and even the gameplay drags what you're supposed to do out whether it's driving or shooting people that are hiding.

• Locked thread