Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
It's weird how even though I found playing through this game utterly boring and most of the characters were annoying intentional or otherwise, but I keep coming back to it, at least through watching this lp and others in the past, I keep thinking there's more there that I must've missed or something. I guess I never did kill all those pigeons or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
I never got this far, I quit somewhere on the second island. Everything just felt so slow and ponderous, made even worse by the fact that I'd ended up playing the two DLCs first (Picked up the stand alone disk, not realizing it wasn't the base game included as well) I'm so glad they went back to San Andreas for GTA V, the bright and varied environments really helped to keep the game feeling fresh, even when you were doing the same basic filler missions between heists.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Considering both the mention of the 'Lost' and of some club owner during that dump-truck mission, I assume we find out alot more about those diamonds in both The Lost and the Damned, and The Ballard of Gay Tony DLCs?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Paused posted:

Considering both the mention of the 'Lost' and of some club owner during that dump-truck mission, I assume we find out alot more about those diamonds in both The Lost and the Damned, and The Ballard of Gay Tony DLCs?
We certainly will, once I get to doing the DLCs sometime before the heat death of the universe. :v:

I've mentioned it earlier, but after the main game of GTA IV is done I'm moving on to other stuff including Red Dead Redemption and Saints Row 1 for a while. As of right now, with the storyline and the stranger missions recorded, I've played enough GTA IV to last me a few months.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I could never pass up the chance to have AI characters fight other AI characters, no matter what game I'm in. But, I couldn't tolerate Dwight's discount-Shaft bullshit long enough to actually get that perk.

Sad that Playboy - the one character in the game who dares to dress in primary colors and pretend not be an rear end in a top hat for five seconds - won't ever hang out with you.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Great LP so far.

I sort of did like most of the time I've spend with GTA IV, altough it had quite a few annoying graphical glitches with AMD cards, and I probably kept forgeting mechanics and controls which made completing a few missions a bit more difficult than they should be, I guess.

I didn't finish the game though. The mission that broke me was the Old Hospital one (which is covered in Episode 13 of this LP). Seriously, gently caress that mission. I think I failed and restarted that five or maybe more times before deciding that the game had become a chore and not fun at all.

So, I'm interested to see where they went from there, and what happens in the DLCs -- which I also have, but when I uninstalled the game, I never looked back.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

AbstractNapper posted:

The mission that broke me was the Old Hospital one (which is covered in Episode 13 of this LP). Seriously, gently caress that mission. I think I failed and restarted that five or maybe more times before deciding that the game had become a chore and not fun at all.
That really is one of the hardest missions in the entire game due to the sheer number of enemies coming in from every direction. As you saw in the video, it's very easy to get turned around, lose track of the exit route and be completely mobbed by SWAT guys.

Also, I should probably get around to finishing the LP soon-ish, because my computer kind of sounds like it's dying. :ohdear: From here on out, every update will have two videos.

edit: Computer didn't explode yet, but I've been feeling a bit under the weather this past week so I'm just now getting around to recording commentary for episodes 25 (now finished) and 26. I've also got a bunch of footage that was intended for another side mission video (the original episode 26), but that episode would've consisted entirely of street racing and car thefts and I'm not subjecting you to that unless you really want me to.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 25, 2016

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Episode 25: Museum Piece

The dinosaurs' info placards read "This big bastard took a few days to knock up because it had to be done by the sole hand of a prop artist. But alas, and feast your eyes on this 21000 poly maniac. Trex right up your arse. How do you like them apples?""

Episode 26: Weekend at Florian's

The plot finally rears its head!

-----

Also, if you haven't been following the casual LP thread recently, I started a playthrough of Sega Saturn cult favorite PowerSlave (aka Exhumed) in that thread.

PowerSlave 01
PowerSlave 02

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

That guy is perhaps excessive ... I like that his voice changes when he's agitated though, makes it seem like it's just a persona he affects to help distance himself from the old world.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Those bits where an enemy is immortal but you have no way of knowing that until you've wasted a bunch of ammo are just the worst.

Also, was this Florian guy mentioned before at all? Because it feels like it just came out of nowhere that Niko had any kind of goal or reason for being here other than it's where his cousin happens to live. How exactly was Niko betrayed?

And what the gently caress is up with Florian's arms? They look like they're animated separately to the rest of his body.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Tiggum posted:

Also, was this Florian guy mentioned before at all? Because it feels like it just came out of nowhere that Niko had any kind of goal or reason for being here other than it's where his cousin happens to live. How exactly was Niko betrayed?
The betrayal of Niko's old military squad has come up a few times, but it's been a while since he really explained the situation. Basically, what happened is that someone led the 15-man squad right into an ambush (that apparently couldn't have happened unless they were sold out) and caused the deaths of twelve men, all of whom grew up in the same village as Niko. Niko knows he isn't the traitor so that leaves Florian and Darko, and he somehow found out that Florian now lives in Liberty City. This has been his entire reason for coming here since the beginning of the game, although at first he just vaguely mentions how he's looking for "something" and later says that he "has to find Florian and Darko".

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 30, 2016

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I remember thinking Florian was kinda over the top in 2008 but watching him now is totally embarrassing

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

The cutscene direction really does my head in. Do we really need to be this close to people's chests all the time? I know it's 2008 but I don't remember camerawork this bad in many other games.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

There's apparently a bug on the PC version that causes some cutscenes to be zoomed in closer than they should be, although from what I've seen it's not really any better than this on consoles either and the zoom-in bug just makes them worse than what we see here.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The value of the damage to the museum almost certainly exceed the couple million of the diamonds.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Holy poo poo Jeff ends in the best possible way.

Double holy poo poo Dwayne.

Dwayne, failing to open a door posted:

Life is hard, man.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Unless I set myself an actual deadline (which will be by the end of the week), I'm never going to get this next update out. :gonk: We're getting to the part of the game where barely anything plot-relevant happens for about ten episodes... which arguably isn't that different to what we've seen thus far, but it does somehow manage to get worse.

edit: episodes 27 and 28 are now finished and I only need to render them, which will take quite a while (and uploading/processing will take some time as well) so I might not quite hit the deadline at least as far as my local time zone goes, but unless something goes very wrong the update will be posted while it's still Sunday in some parts of the world.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 16, 2016

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Two minutes to midnight over here, plenty of time to spare before the deadline.

Episode 27: Late Checkout

Episode 28 is taking forever to render, so I'll just post #27 now and make a separate update for #28 tomorrow.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I care much less about Niko calling Bernie a fag than I do Bernies entire characterisation. Hard to believe it was so recently that that was the only way gay characters were shown in popular media. And, as pointed out in the video, coming out doesn't remove years of combat and training. Bernie should have been totally fine on his own.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Episode 28: Tunnel o' Death

---

I haven't done a music highlight in a while, so let's fix that:

Kavinsky - Testarossa (SebastiAn Remix)

This is not my favorite take on the Testarossa track (that would be the original Testarossa Autodrive), but I was still quite pleasantly surprised to hear Kavinsky in GTA IV. I'm still a bit disappointed that the "Nightdrive FM" rumor that was going around before GTA V's release was fake, because an all-Kavinsky station in an open world game would be nothing short of amazing.

edit: I'm too dumb to embed tweets but while I was making this post, Rockstar pretty much confirmed the new Red Dead game with a new teaser image. :getin:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 17, 2016

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

After all that effort to make it look like an escape, leaving a corpse in uniform by the shore? At least get a boat and some weights, guys.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

rchandra posted:

After all that effort to make it look like an escape, leaving a corpse in uniform by the shore? At least get a boat and some weights, guys.
Yeah, that was a bit silly. Fortunately, the cops are so incompetent that it still takes them quite some time to discover the body. A news report mentions it later in the game.

Speaking of news:

Hopefully I'll be finished with the RDR LP before the new game comes out.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Only had chance to watch episode 27 at this point but...

Thesaya posted:

I care much less about Niko calling Bernie a fag than I do Bernies entire characterisation. Hard to believe it was so recently that that was the only way gay characters were shown in popular media. And, as pointed out in the video, coming out doesn't remove years of combat and training. Bernie should have been totally fine on his own.
Yeah, my initial reaction to the Fag comment, was just a sign of Nicos frustration with the caricature Bernie/Florian is, abeit in a crude way, consistent with his character, rather than any slight about about homosexuals.
Then after another 5 seconds, I completely forgotten about the line outside of a vague wonderment why I ever gave Rockstar any benefit of the doubt when I see 'GAY STEREO-TYPE ver0.5' dallied up to 11.
Considering later DLC is called; Ballard of Gay Tony, I assume there is a greater presence of gay people there. I really hope this isn't the standard in that.

I dunno; I mean this is GTA and I never thought about this kinda stuff in 3. Maybe as I always saw 3 as loony tunes level reality.
Is this this another case of GTA4 trying to have its cake and eat it? Super Serious post war PSTD.... followed up by haw haw hes a homo?

I do like the phone convos here with Mal and Cousin. Makes Nico feel like a relatable despite the bs hes involved in. As well as the admitting he has a thing for the innocent (ish?) normal girl.
Makes him feel like less of a superman; and more just a talented grunt. Which suits Nico well to me at least?

Got to say as soon se you mentioned alt routes in that hotel mission my mind jumped to helicoptor as a speedrunner kinda guy? I assume that works as a 3rd option?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I don't see any good reason why using a helicopter to get to the rooftop wouldn't work, but this is GTA IV so they've probably got some kind of script in place to stop you from thinking outside the box too much.

As for Tony Prince aka Gay Tony, I think he's actually a pretty decent character. He certainly never comes across like a joke or an unfortunate :gay: stereotype like Bernie, he's just a businessman (and the protagonist's boss/friend) who happens to be openly gay and nobody except a bunch of mob goons (who you kill for unrelated reasons) makes a big deal out of it.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 19, 2016

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Well that's good to hear about 'Gay Tony'.

I guess it's just difficult for me to get what Rockstar is going for with any of these characters as the tone of the game seems to be all over the place.

At best, the theme of the story, to me at least, is you can't escape the lot you are born to in life. (which is an awful story for a game that is literally known for being a sandbox game.... you know; where you can do whatever!)

Maybe it would be better if you had not presented the after-math of a guy suffering from PTSD so bad he decided to adopt the 'fag' stereotype as his persona to cope, immediately followed by flying a guy who hied you to murder guys in a chopper he has to over shortcomings he felt he has as a kid, so he could gently caress a couple of girls.
But then maybe it be also be better if you re wrote gta4s whole story.

We do all this while there is a gray screen filter thing over the game play which is telling us were mean to feel bad. And bad bad in a depressed way rather than bad-rear end.

Its just so miserable. I dont object to being sold his story.... but can you you do it in a film thats just 2 hours rather than make me the protagonist in like a fews days worth of entertainment?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Just read this review/comparison of GTA4 and Saints Row 2 which included this comic that I thought was pretty accurate:

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

Just read this review/comparison of GTA4 and Saints Row 2 which included this comic that I thought was pretty accurate:

I'm not sure if it's just because of the font in the panels, but I somehow knew even before browsing over the url that that was a Shamus Young comic.

I'm actually replaying GTA 4 now on PS3 (Dorm mate brought his in, so I grabbed a few cheap games for when I have downtime- I do appreciate the slow beginning, but I'd probably hate if I wanted to get right to the gunplay). It's... alright, I guess.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

As of right now (literally a few minutes ago) I'm finished with editing the game footage for this LP. Now, all that is left to do is record commentary for the rest of these episodes, with the next update coming in a day or two.

(I'll probably have a catastrophic hard drive crash and lose all my project files soon, because that's how these things work)

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

Doc Morbid posted:

(I'll probably have a catastrophic hard drive crash and lose all my project files soon, because that's how these things work)

Back it up? You know, just in case.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Yup, guess it's time to upgrade that Google Drive subscription so I can shove all this crap there. Not going to risk anything at this point.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

I'm just ashamed that I never thought of asking Brucie for a helicopter ride and then just blowing him up with a rocket launcher when he arrived.

I did try decapitating little Jacob with a helicopter when picking him up from the hospital. He was in there because I'd injured him before.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I think I'll just keep posting one video per update, so I can upload and post them as soon as they're finished instead of waiting until the following episode is done.

Episode 29: Blood Brothers

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 26, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Doc Morbid posted:

I believe the game won't let you shoot both. Shame.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

Doc Morbid posted:

This is a family issue, obviously, so why doesn't Niko tell Packie about it? I'm sure he would probably still tell Niko to ice Francis, but it would be more likely that he would do it himself.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.

Dooky Dingo posted:

This is a family issue, obviously, so why doesn't Niko tell Packie about it? I'm sure he would probably still tell Niko to ice Francis, but it would be more likely that he would do it himself.

Either that or tell Gerald and Gerald would do it himself. I don't actually remember if Gerald was in the slammer by this point.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Tofu Survivor posted:

Either that or tell Gerald and Gerald would do it himself. I don't actually remember if Gerald was in the slammer by this point.
He is, yeah. That is technically only revealed in the next episode, but it's already on the in-game news at this point.

Liberty Tree after Blood Brothers posted:

Today, the LCPD is hungry for blood. They're out to find a killer who took one of their own, Deputy Police Commissioner Francis McReary. McReary was gunned down in a small courtyard park in Algonquin. He was apparently killed with a high-caliber rifle shot from some distance. McReary's recent career has been mired in controversy. Some news outlets claim they have evidence of bribe-taking and corruption by Mr. McReary, claims he strongly denied until his death. In an unrelated incident his brother, Gerald McReary, a convicted felon, was recently arrested again on racketeering charges.

edit: Here's what it says if you kill Derrick:

quote:

Deputy Police Commissioner, Francis McReary, witnessed his brother's murder as he was assassinated in an Algonquin park. Derrick McReary, 52, had recently returned to Liberty City from Ireland. Before he had left the country, he had been registered as an informant with the LCPD and investigators are taking this as a likely motive of the murder. In unrelated news, a third brother, Gerald McReary, was recently arrested on racketeering charges.
"Registered as an informant with the LCPD", huh. It appears Derrick did in fact snitch on Aiden and Bucky and hasn't been entirely honest with us, although I think Niko would've still chosen to ice Francis even if he knew about this.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 27, 2016

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Either that or Francis span the story that his brother was a snitch to avoid suspicion.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Episode 30: Union Drive

This thrilling and cinematic chase is absolutely dire and probably my least favorite mission in the game.

edit: The earlier bike missions (No Love Lost and No Way on the Subway) are probably worse from an objective standpoint, as their scripted gotcha moments can screw you over a lot worse due to how easy it is to fail the mission by falling off the bike. However, I still dislike Union Drive more than those earlier missions because it goes on forever, you have to listen to Bernie screaming in your ear, and GTA IV tries to impede you by changing how the laws of physics operate within the game world. We've established from the very start that cars in GTA IV are heavy and react to collisions and rollovers in a realistic or at least believable (and most importantly, consistent) manner, yet this mission throws all that out of the window and cars will suddenly fall over for no reason and flip towards you (literally, they aim at you) without any sense of weight or adherence to the established physics model. It really does feel like the guy you're chasing is using his Driver: San Francisco coma dream superpowers to throw vehicles at you at will, which makes no sense whatsoever in the framework of GTA IV.

Driver: SF, by the way, is a really fun game with interesting mechanics and some of the best driving you'll find in an open world game. I recommend you give it a try or watch the LP from a few years back.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 10, 2016

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
You could see a bit of what Bernie could have been in that mission, which is very frustrating. There was some great voice acting in that phone call, like, you could hear the emotion, and then towards the end they remembered that they wanted him to be "gay" and ruined it by more offensive mannerisms.
Also, Niko's speech at the end confirms the feeling I got from him even when he called Bernie a human being in the end. He didn't mean it offensively which is why I didn't even react to it in the video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I tried playing Driver: SF, but I have no idea how to steer the cars in that game. They insist on spinning out at every turn.

• Locked thread