Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

3Romeo posted:

Please don't think I'm intentionally making GBS threads up the thread or anything, but I'm trying to get into the series and I'm just not digging it. I recently picked up DS 1 (PC) and went into a game with a monumentally lovely control scheme, unintuitive play, and a laundry list of some relatively basic questions I had to consult a wiki for.

I really want to get into the game - I love the try-until-success concept, the art, and the oh-poo poo terror of seeing a new boss - but so far it's just flaccid rear end. What am I doing wrong?

Playing with kb+m ? Use a controller, jumping aside, the controls are pretty tight.

The game can be pretty cryptic but try talking to npcs all the time, they'll usually tell you some important tips (and read the item descriptions). For the first run I'd only read the wiki about weapon upgrades/infusion and stats.

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

3Romeo posted:

Yeah, KB+M. I don't mind a challenge, but I hate having to fight against the interface. It's aggravating in all the wrong ways.

About the "figure stuff out on your own" bit - I think that's the thing that bothers me the most. The game should work inside it's own universe without me having to watch a Let's Play or read a walkthrough.

They could've made the kb+m better but it would still be bad, if you want to play this game definitely get a controller.

You don't need to watch a Let's Play or read a walkthrough, the game works inside it's own universe :confused:

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

GreenBuckanneer posted:

am I understanding these PC requirements properly? If I have a 750ti and a 3570k @ 4.2 I'll need to upgrade to at least a 780 in order to play dank butts 3? :smithicide:

Depending on the resolution you probably will be able to (not at 60 fps, but still able to play).

Genocyber, you should probably leave these somewhere in the op

http://www.pcgamer.com/durantes-dark-souls-3-port-analysis/

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 11, 2016

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

ShadowMar posted:

i'm kinda anxious to see how my aging GTX 680 4GB and i7 3770k perform at 1680x1050, witcher 3 was rough

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Microwaves Mom posted:

Hey all,

I'll be streaming this game Tuesday Night at 10pm CST doing a Milk Shot Challenge.

:barf:

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Vodka+Orange Juice, every time you drink estus you take a shot sip
Vodka+Blue curacao, every time you drink an ashen estus take a shot sip

edited to prevent alcohol poisoning

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Apr 11, 2016

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4e6ewa/matchmaking_data_thoroughly_tested/

For those interested in matchmaking

It seems that

+/- 10 soul level (later levels appears to increase the gap)

+/- 2 weapon enchantment (twinkling weapons counts for +2 for each upgrade)

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Kiggles posted:

Can someone help me parse this.

Is this where you can match with people +/- 10 soul levels, and weapon enhancement effectively adds to your soul level (bumping you up a bracket)
or
Is this where you can match with people +/- 10 soul levels, and are further filtered to only match with people who are +/- 2 levels on their weapon?

match with people +/- 10 slvls and then filtered by weapon upgrade +/-2

lvl 50 with +5 weapon

40-60 slvl
+3 / +7 weapon upgrade

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
They made a mechanic specific for people who are afraid of invasions and it seems that it works fine this time, join the way of blue covenant and just chill while hordes of blue cops come to your rescue

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

A Magical Lamp posted:

Is it even possible to join the Bluecops that early?

The blue covenants are in the first/second area.

Do we have a new Dark Souls group on steam or are we using the Dark Goons PC ?

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Automatic defense for invasions are only for way of blue, I think. You can still leave your sign to help others

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Shamelessly stolen from Reddit

Sng…sng…
Zzzzzz…

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Liquid Humanity (alcohol)

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

GannerOne posted:

So... regular or digital deluxe edition (apparently includes season pass)?
If season pass means that I'll get all big DLCs it's a pretty okay deal, right?

Souls DLCs are notoriously good but it'll take a while for them to come out so you could wait to spend the money before the first one comes out if it's a concern, or pay everything now and never worry about buying DS3 related stuff later

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Robo Reagan posted:

Glancing at the classes, mercenary is the way to go for non int/faith quick dodgy dudes right?

Knight is probably the better melee option (stat wise) but it won't make much of a difference unless you really care about min-maxing.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

General Morden posted:

is this game playable on kb+m

Playable, yes. After doing your own configuration.
I wouldn't recommend it though, it's like... playing Star Craft with a Nintendo 64 controller, yes you could do it, but oh god why.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Orv posted:

I spent a not okay amount of time with the PS2 version of Red Alert, I still have nightmares.

That sounds awful :gonk:

I have no idea why they decided to release a bunch of RTS for consoles, those were darker times

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Eonwe posted:

im trying to talk myself into buying dark souls III because now that I have a steam controller I feel like I could maybe one day beat this, where for dark souls 1 essentially I just got to the capra demon and stopped playing

Buy it and try some jolly cooperation to overcome your challenges.

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I actually had a lot of fun playing split screen Starcraft against my brother on the Nintendo 64. :shobon:

Split screen gaming was awesome, I miss that :(. Getting everyone to carry their computers to a house to do some lan was awesome too, totally impractical (carrying CRT monitors :gonk:) but worth it

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Macintosh HD posted:

I'm interested in recording my more interesting deaths. What's the best method of "always on" recording on PC? I'm talking about the PS4 style recording of "press this button and it saves a recording of the past thirty seconds or so"

I have Windows 10, as well as an Nvidia card. Both Windows and Nvidia have this feature but I'm looking for the one that impacts the performance of the game as little as possible.

Any input?

Nvidia ShadowPlay won't have much impact

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Heres hoping my 660 ti can run it moderately well :pray:

The most impact for performance comes from the resolution you choose, enter this link and see the best options to lower to maximize your fps:

http://www.pcgamer.com/durantes-dark-souls-3-port-analysis/1/

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Shannow posted:

Getting the brat in training earlier.

Gf and brat asleep, darkened room, bottle of wine, howling wind battering the house, My body is ready oh gawd hurry up next nine minutes.

Thats a... crystal lizard? :allears:

You're an awesome dad.

5 minutes :siren:

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Decrypting, restart steam

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

:negative:

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
It stabilized at 15 minutes after a while, so... probably 10-15 minutes. (i7 2600k HDD)

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
I can't summon anyone, I think that there are so many people playing that when I try another person already summoned the phantom :(

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
I'm playing as a pyromancer and I had no crashes yet

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
So... I summoned a mad ghost and killed it, didn't get anything :confused: why would anyone summon purple ghosts if the host doesn't get anything by winning ?

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

lets hang out posted:

purples can help the host by fighting enemies and invaders. unfortunately a lot of people are boring and just use it like a red sign.

But why summon a purple one for helping with enemies and invaders if you can just summon a white/gold one ?
If there's the danger of him attacking me at least I should get something (a covenant item or some ember ?)

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Game owns, I'm having a blast with my pyro but I think my fire uchigatana is starting to fall off in damage. It'll be a long time until I get my faith/int gets high enough for chaos weapons, what are some good raw/fire/deep weapons ? Low req and fast attacks if possible

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
I got a lot of souls doing co-op farming sun medals, some bosses are really fast (and now I have all the embers I need)

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Oh man I don't think I can do this loving Giant god drat Tree boss as a Thief, you really need either Range or AoE and I have neither and am very rusty and keep thinking if I get hit I can just get that HP back by wailing on them like Bloodborne.

Range and AoE ? Boss goes much faster if you go melee, range sucks a lot in this fight. Grab uchi or a straight sword of choice and go for the eggs in the arms/legs/back before going to the front

I co-oped that boss about 15 times, I'd help you but I gotta go to college now, I'm only back way later

hit me up in steam steamcommunity.com/id/ZZZorc/ , I could help you later in the next fights :v:

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The lack of white summon signs is really dispiriting :( It's nothing like the first two games. I've done the first two bosses and I've only seen 1 so far. I see loads of orange messages, player ghosts, red blood spots, etc. But the coop is non-existent compared to day 1 DS1 and DS2.

I put mine down in front of the second boss to see it from the other side and nobody picked it up in the ten minutes I spent waiting.

There are so many signs and people doing co-op that it's hard to summon someone because someone else already did, there's an option in the menu to allow co-op with people from other regions or something like that, try to enable it

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

double nine posted:

All right, time to dive into this thing. Is there anything known about the starting gifts - are there any petrified something or old witch's ring equivalents? I can't spot any from a cursory glance so ...

They're all common items, depends on build but I'd go fire gem > life ring > gold rusted coin > anything else

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
I like that more enemies discovered how to protect their backs against backstabs

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
They should give us the small soapstone back, sometimes you just want to grab some help for a few mobs (or when you leave the sign, you just want to kill some monsters to get your cinder/estus back) being forced go the whole way until winning a boss fight sucks.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Dan Didio posted:

Being given a full restore of all your estus charges, etc. for being summoned and throwing yourself headfirst into a bunch of weak hollows was really boring an uninteresting.

Then don't give full restore for one co-op, restore only a few
Small soapstones incentives people to leave signs around the map, big soapstone tends to gravitate the signs to boss doors

Golden Goat posted:

Please tell me they've all just strapped a estoc to their back pointing out.

I haven't seen weapons strapped to backs yet, maybe later :shobon:

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Jose posted:

I take it it only becomes available once I'm further in the game? Nobody at firelink has aonther key to sell

You'll eventually find some "_____ Ashes" items, bring them to the maiden and she'll expand her inventory

Jose posted:

I talked to him but haven't seen him appear there since unless I'm looking in the wrong place

Facing the blacksmith go left and follow the river, most (if not all) npcs will either be left/right from the blacksmith along the path or in the stairs at the bonfire

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 12, 2016

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Fat Samurai posted:

Any weird things going on with stats this time around, like the Agility tax in DS 2, or are they more straightforward now?

Don't upgrade Luck unless in very specific builds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

RBA Starblade posted:

Just got invaded by someone who couldn't be hit. :negative:

Happened with me too, still don't know if it was ultra lag or hacker.