Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
This is probably the longest day of work ever. I'm even considering actually working to make it move faster.

I actually got to play this for awhile over the weekend and it is good. It is so, so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009

Harrow posted:

DS1 was my first Souls game and I think I was like 95 when I beat Gwyn so I know the feeling. I'd say it's because I did all the DLC stuff, too, but it's probably just because I overleveled because I decided I wanted to use the MLGS on what had up to that point been a pretty pure Dex build.

I was around 90 when I beat DaS. It was a 90% blind run, I started, got to the gargoyles, quit for about a year, picked it back up and had no drat clue what I was doing or where I was. I ended up going through everything in the weirdest-rear end order imaginable and inadvertently overleveled myself quite a bit before I even made it to Blighttown the 'proper' way (I didn't have a master key but ended up finding the back entrance through Darkroot Basin/Valley of Drakes, died a few times and decided I should probably go somewhere else).

This day could not possible go any slower. I've accomplished more at work today than I have in the last two weeks combined and it's not even lunch yet.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
I tried my first invasion in a Souls game last night in the fifth? area Farron Keep. Finally found the guy after five minutes of wandering, didn't manage to hit him a single time, died. 10/10 would invade again.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

It was when I ran into Hellkite Drake, Mark 2 at the High Wall of Lothric when I went "okay, guys, this is getting a little much."

That's just tradition at this point. DeS, DaS, and SotFS all had basically the same thing, I would've been surprised if it didn't show up.

Area 5?ish spoilers I was kind of surprised to see the Darkwraiths in Farron's Keep though, and to find out that they hit like loving trucks now after I mostly breezed through them even on my first playthrough of DaS. Watching them slaughter the other enemies in that area is wonderful.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009

Ulvirich posted:

First glance I didn't like the swamp; coincidentally I didn't visit the Cathedral of the Deep first for it's poison resist gear and I didn't know about the quickstep weapon art. In hindsight, I actually do enjoy exploring around that hellhole and getting a feel for the land. I had to, more than once, go to high ground to see where to go. The watch_dog tower for example, gives you a perfectly clear view on which signal fires you haven't doused yet and you can more or less make a beeline to where you need to go. On the other hand, you need to be aware of the dangers of the swamp. Don't attack the solitary ghrues, don't attack the big fuckers wielding trees. Some things aren't worth dying for.

:agreed:

The poison does practically nothing healthwise but contributes to the "oh poo poo oh poo poo gently caress this place" pucker factor on the first runthrough. The place feels huge and overwhelming at first but once you recognize all the landmarks it's pretty easy to navigate, and the bigass tower is great to give some context for where you are in relation to everything else. It's super oppressive and intimidating at first but can be dealt with pretty quickly and efficiently once you catch your bearings. It is a Good Dark Souls Area, like all the ones before it (and probably all the ones past it but I haven't gone much further yet). gently caress I love this game.

Still torn on the interconnectedness of the world. Every place so far has been fantastic but some of my most memorable Dark Souls moments were stumbling into places I wasn't supposed to be yet, and being able to rush midgame areas right out of the gate was pretty neat for replays. But I mean DS3 so far has probably the most interesting areas of the Souls series so far (haven't played Bloodborne) and gives a great sense of where everything is in relation to one another, and I'm sure I've already missed a ton of poo poo so whatever

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
Play up through the second bonfire/sunbro'd up to the first boss last night, general impressions:

Goddamn everything there hits like an entire convoy of trucks. I'm not sure how much of this is a result of being on NG+4 while not being particularly good at the game though.
The level design is a lot different than usual and pretty interesting. Lots of different and neat encounters.
The general mobs up top whose names I can't remember are neat, that first big swarm was a cool 'oh poo poo' moment, and I got caught off guard the first time one pulled me into the floor.
The fatties have a ton of HP and can almost one-shot me, which is nuts. They're fun to fight, especially the second encounter when they slowly introduce other enemy types to keep track of.
The first encounter with the angel was great. Intimidating and unique, it felt like playing a cover-based shooter. gently caress everything else about them, though. Maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention because I didn't make the connection between the slimy thing and the angel disappearing, which made the swamp absolute hell.
The two Lothric knights in the church were pretty tough but really fun to fight. Not exactly a new enemy or anything but I love fighting them.
I was so pumped to see a Dark Souls 2 location make a return. I noticed the windmill first, though "Oh poo poo, that looks like Earthen Peak!" Then talked to the NPC who mentioned a poison swamp at the base of it, thought "Oh poo poo, that sounds like Earthen Peak!" Then I decided to rest at the bonfire, and though "Oh poo poo, that says Earthen Peak!"
That said, it's a shame they brought back loving Earthen Peak instead of one of the more interesting DS2 locations (literally any other one).
gently caress the swamp angels. The tracking is absolutely insane, there's not much cover, and the recharge between shots is so short I can't even make it up the branch without getting shot (oh and also each shot takes about 1/3 of my hp whatup). Super satisfying to kill the slimy slug things at least.
First boss[es] looked neat, but the host died pretty quickly so I didn't really get to fight them before I went to bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
I've finally gotten my friend into the series after about three years of pestering, so I've been playing through DS1 again. Aside from using the Master Key to gather gear I've been trying to keep pace with him and help with boss fights and whatnot as-needed. He's been wandering at his own pace; over the past week he's killed Taurus & The Gargoyles and explored a few different areas. Last night we killed the butterfly & gathered moss, then I nudged him toward the Lower Undead Burg but he went to bed before trying it. I've never been particularly good at these games despite playing them a lot, but last night I was in one of those Souls-trances and was steamrolling everything so I decided to run through the area and open the shortcut at least. Next thing I know I'm fighting Quelaag with about 80k souls and 5 liquid humanity, still having healed maybe twice since Darkroot. Quelaag dies, I visit her sister, ring the bell, and make my way back to Firelink (which is now extinguished). I figure I'm doing well, I'll head back to the Asylum, fight the stray demon and go to sleep. I curl up in the nest (without missing the jump, even!), get whisked away, and immediately die to a single torch hollow, getting sent back to Quelaag's Domain. :darksouls: