Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Important question: Can the knight fast roll with his starting equipment? I'm coming from Bloodborne so I need to be as agile as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Schedule for today:

Put the kid to sleep, wait till girlfriend goes to sleep then Dark Souls all night long. I'm the worst :v:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I am the reading the online manual on my PS4 and it starts like this:

"Most games try to take you through a specific narrative, introducing you to the world and its characters at preset moments. The narrative in Dark souls takes a different path, the story and history this bleak world is one you must uncover yourself. Hints gleaned from item descriptions, optional conversations, and exploration of the detailed environment create a picture of the world. Trying to understand the lore and and story of Dark Souls becomes a kind of game within the game. You are never required to invest in it, or to care about the past, but there is a rich reward if you are willing to put in the time and effort piece together your own narrative".

*Gasp*

Did they just tell you how to play a Souls game?

Worst game ever.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

The Walrus posted:

its not good. i am a literal shell of a human being.

good news I will be reborn in just 2 hrs

But before that you must die and be buried.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I beat the Cleric Beast on my first try :B

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Trudis posted:

Hey everybody, is this the place to foam at the mouth until the game unlocks tonight?

GRLRLLRLGGUUGLL

("22 minutes to go according to my PS4 countdown timer")

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Robo Reagan posted:

Glancing at the classes, mercenary is the way to go for non int/faith quick dodgy dudes right?

Apparently even the Knight can dodge roll like a pro so you're good to go with any melee I guess.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I'm playing Dark Souls III!

So long!

hahhahahahaha....hahah-who... who am I? I can't...What?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

"You know, this boss reminds me of Dragonri-"

Yup

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I feel like I'm compelled to defeat enemies that are too tough simply because I know you can do it. Then I proceed to die 10 times to this abomination.

By the way, did anyone feel like the tutorial boss is a deliberate subversion of the boss fights in DkS2? I'm so glad I hadn't seen that beforehand.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I managed not to read anything about this and after about two hours I just noticed the skills on weapons and poo poo :eyepop:

Also lol those loving knights in the first area that just shield bash to the back/left over and over when you try the shield+strafe strat that beat 99% of enemies in the other games.

Constantly switching between stances and shield bashing your face. You can definitely tell From put extra work to make sure that they will wreck your poo poo.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I just realized after 5 hours that kick now actually sets up shielding enemies for riposte. I was wondering why the there was a huge delay when using on normal enemies, making it hard to combo anything off it.

Anyone else having trouble pulling off the kick, by the way? It seems really finicky for such a simple input. I keep accidentally doing a normal attack on a shielding Lothric knight who proceeds to wreck me.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Without being too spoilery, what allows you to respec and is there a finite amount of them?

Apparently there's a covenant and an item related to that and you can respec max 5 per NG cycle

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Frankston posted:

Can somebody tell me what area the shortbow is found in? I want to rock a legolas build and I'm afraid I might have missed it.

You can find at least one bow right at the beginning of Lothric Highwall. Go past the dogs and into the second tower.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Golden Goat posted:

Almost every setting in the character creator will result in some hideous monster-person. Even the preset faces are really hosed up.

Was able to make some sort of shrimp man yesterday.

I always play Souls games as faceless hero person with the head covered. I feel like it's much more appropriate thematically. Even more so in DkS3 because you are literal trash of unkindled ash

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Farmed 30 mins for the Lothric Knight Sword after beating Vordt and made it Refined infused. Now I'm set until I find other weapons which I might like better.

Also Free-For-All pvp is fun
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MPihhFRam0s

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

quadrophrenic posted:

I think I'm gonna commit to a full dex build, I just sharpened my estoc and I'm really happy with the damage and moveset, but now that DEX is my dumpstat I need another dumpstat because right now I'm only pumping DEX and END basically. Is luck worthwhile? How dramatic are the drop rates between high and low luck?

e: er, i guess "dumpstat" is the wrong word. I need a good opposite-of-dumpstat

Dex, Vigor and Endurance.

Just focus on those and you're set.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

So eh, Road of Sacrifices and Cathedral of the Deep.

The levels themselves were fun but man, the bosses were incredibly underwhelming. I haven't fought a fun boss since Vordt. I hope the game starts to pick up the pace

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Eonwe posted:

Deacons of the deep owned

I hear they have a new album coming out

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I vaguely remember before launch seeing a video where you can stagger certain enemies by dealing enough damage and performing a special animation ala Bloodborne that is different from the riposte animation.

Something like the character wielding the longsword two handed and just jamming it into the Crystal Lizard while it is staggered. Is my memory failing me? It seemed different from Riposte and Weapon arts.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Love the loot you get from Abyss Watchers. I am fashion soulsing so hard right now. Plus the weapon is awesome.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Gortarius posted:

I've found that an upgraded broadsword kills everything in 2 to 4 hits. I'm wondering if it's because the enemies are really weak as far as hitpoints go, or if the broadsword is broken?

Like, there isn't any finesse in combat with it. You just wait for an opening and then hit R1 and stunlock the enemy until it is dead. Don't know if this is the case with other weapons as I never really had any reason to switch?

Also I used parry exactly once during the game, in the tutorial. It's just so pointless to do when you can more easily (and faster) just stunlock your enemies to death.

A lot of weapons can just stunlock regular mobs. Only the toughest enemies have enough poise to resist combos.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

So NG+ is literally the same as in Bloodborne? Well that's ok I guess, since the game has more build options, respec feature and more NPC storylines. Still probably gonna start a NG after beating the game because it's harder to adjust to a new build on NG+.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I'll try roleplaying as a friendly mad phantom and hope that the host gets killed. Or try to get him killed indirectly by playing horribly.

The chances are the host will just kill me but it might work occasionally.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Demon King was such bullshit. Dodging felt like a complete crapshoot when you went into melee range. Luckily I was able to bait his specific attacks in the last half of the fight by running away. Felt little unsatisfying though.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

The greatest invasion I've done. I love this stupid game

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6gC08c6Y8uY

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

homeless poster posted:

l love that rather than just fight the boss and send you back to your world, all three of them decided it was a better idea to leap to their deaths. they were literally standing in front of the fog wall!

I've farmed tongues like this for several hours now. Don't ask me why it works. It just does

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

Is there any way to team up and invade people together? I would love to get in on some tag team rope bridge madness

I've no idea. But another fun trick is to cut the rope as the host enters the area. This will swarm the area with skeletons which often equals certain death. Especially with an invader taking cheapshots. I'm horrible at pvp so I rely on stupid tricks like this.

Also one of the reasons why the ballista area in Smouldering Lake is fun.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

Guys, help me. As an unchigatana user that insists on keeping below 30% equip load - partly for the fast roll, partly because a shredded mask/chest/deserter trousers/fire keeper glove combination looks amazing - while having both carthus rings, I keep getting my rear end kicked in PVP. I'd win SO MUCH if I just put some armour on but it feels wrong to have beaten most of the game like this and chicken out just to get some extra tongues. :negative:

Only invade in areas with tough enemies and annoying hazards and lead the host into mobs. It's slower but I've managed to get 20 tongues in one day without actually fighting.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Cyberventurer posted:

Do people really do that? Just blindly run into enemies to chase down an invader? Whenever I get a non-ganking invasion and try that, the host and any phantoms immediately go into turtle mode and stop trying to progress in the level at all, or slowly pull one enemy at a time so they can make their way to me without overextending. I haven't fought a single person so far that either didn't play it safe, summon a ton of help, use a seed of giants or keep so much pressure on me that I couldn't retaliate.

Yes.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F5zWpM4zDeo

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I swear I will stop posting these now

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QzOx-XnNWxU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n3oa1UvQ360

Good thing there is more than one trick to fall back on.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Andrigaar posted:

Still messing around with a Pyro for my second character.

So, does messing around with the dark sign mean you have to spend all game looking like dusty beef jerky? I'm using a guide because I'm weak, btw.

You can cure Dark Sign with a key item (Though this will piss off the hollow NPC merchant) or you can purchase a ring that makes you look human.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I just taught my friend how to play Dark Souls 3 and after lending my copy he said "This is actually pretty tolerable, if it's good I might buy it".

After he died to Gundyr dozen times I said "Think it's like playing Revengeance without upgrades or Zone of the Enders on Extreme, except much easier". It was wonderful how everything suddenly clicked and he started managing his stamina and exploiting i-frames to roll through everything.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Digital_Jesus posted:

After playing through this through NG++ now...

I am willing to say DS2 was the best game in the series and gently caress the haters. :colbert:

Dark Souls 2 was the first in the series that I actually finished and got me hooked. Even so I cannot share that opinion. So far Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 have been the games that really clicked with me. This might sound shallow but these games are just so gorgeous looking on PS4. It's like art in motion.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

HnK416 posted:

You're doing Gwyns work. Now where the heck do I actually find that set?

Irithyll Dungeon zone

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Put The Kirkhammer In Dark Souls 3

Bloodborne still has the best looking weapons in the series. They are so wonderfully brutal because they are designed to rip apart giant monsters rather than swordfighting,

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BKsO7tNykWo

I never really tried invasions in other games but they made it so convenient in this one.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

What's a relatively quick crowd control weapon to complement my Lothric Knight Sword? It can be either STR/DEX weapon. I'll just respec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Etrips posted:

What is a good cheese weapon to get through the main PvE elements of the game? And it seems like there is no point in wearing super heavy armor? Just dodge roll all day long?

Heavy armour has decent damage resistance, just make sure you stay under 70% weight.

Good cheese is well... I feel like any weapon you stick with from the start is good enough. I think you can just stick raw infusion on the first weapon you see and pump all your points into pyromancy for even more damage.