Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Crash to desktop at first bonfire. The real Dark Souls starts here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Well this series continues to surprise. They went all out on the unexpected this time. :stonklol:

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
That feeling when your PC isn't good enough for the awesome. It keeps overheating and killing itself... Newegg can't deliver fast enough!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The additions to the message system are excellent. If only I had a woman...

Also holy poo poo monstrosities. I don't know if that's what they're called, but that's what the message told me to be wary of.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 12, 2016

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Also holy poo poo monstrosities. I don't know if that's what they're called, but that's what the message told me to be wary of.

Yeah. That surprised me big time.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Every time I light a bonfire or rest at one I crash to desktop. Excellent.

edit: setting lighting to low is apparently the fix.

Fart Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 12, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Yeah. That surprised me big time.

The good news is you can kill the host in one hit before it pops. The bad news is you're probably not going to notice the host before it's too late.

Fire is really good against them though. Stuns them for a few seconds.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Yeah I noticed that by accident. Ran up to the host after I died to get some cheap hits in and realized it's just a regular hollow until it transforms.

Try shooting the dragon with the longbow from different places. He doesn't gently caress around like in DS1.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
if you kill those goop monsters after they transform they drop some nice loot. currently in the area with the fat halberd guy, hes a real fucker

chillin with bae

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Hello old friend

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just got teabagged by a tree.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
i cant beat vordt for the life of me :negative:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

There are mimics other than chests now :stonk:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

sorcerers no longer have as easy of a time

good

the fp bar threw me for a loop. No more charges? and a mana estus??? ty from software

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Let's go

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Game is cool. Played till the first boss. My roommate who has heard of the Souls games couldn't stop laughing.

Work is gonna drag tomorrow.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Christ that first/tutorial boss :stonk:

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Jarmak posted:

Anyone having trouble getting controllers to work? I'm using a DS4 and I've tried every combination of wired/bluetooth with DXwrapper/PS4 mode and it's not recognizing it.

Disable/unplug your other usb gaming peripherals and this should pick it up, the same goes for steam controllers.

Almost at the third boss, gently caress these rats so much :feelsgood:.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I wish I would have played more last night. Can't take off work today because of deadlines :(

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Killed the first boss this morning in two attempts before making my way to the Firelink Shrine. Some deprived motherfucker wielding a katana was loving me up until I booted him off a cliff.

Dark Souls 3 is cool.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

McSpatula posted:

Disable/unplug your other usb gaming peripherals and this should pick it up, the same goes for steam controllers.

Almost at the third boss, gently caress these rats so much :feelsgood:.

The "Hide DS4 Controllers" check box in DS4fix or whatever stupid wrapper program I'm using is finally what did it.

Anyone know what the benefit of the dual wield attacks with the dual scimitars the merc starts with is(L1 while you have them in dual-wield mode)?

It swings with both swords and takes double the stamina but doesn't seem to do any more damage, I was thinking wider arc but one handing the scimitar seems to hit pretty much everything around me already.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just unlocked the Firelink tower. It's a combination of spooky and sad :(

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

So far it's "Dark Souls I, but better". Tons of nods to DS either directly or by reference. A few I've seen so far (spoilers for NPCs):

-In the Firelink graveyard I found a miniature version of a particular sword being guarded by a hollowed dog
-Called for an elevator and Siegmeyer of Catarina was on it. He's still in a pickle.
-Turned a corner on a dead end and found Melinda the Butcher hiding there. I'm not sure if she was hostile or not, she startled me so I killed her.
-A nod to the Black Knight archers

Trying to kill The Pope now. Cathedral is loving beautiful but I've been running past a lot of stuff.

EBB fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 12, 2016

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

level design feels very bloodborne so far

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Anyone know what causes you to get estus refills while out in the field? As far as I can tell it comes from beating tough enemies quickly.

Also I've found that a lot of enemies are tough and attack fast, but they're really easy to stagger, so going on the offensive is a lot better than hiding behind your shield.

I'm really glad for this small, slow thread, because the one in Games is an unreadable clusterfuck right now.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Any cool poo poo in Firelink? Reddit has pointed out there's an easy jump that'll net some stuff that's gated behind a 20k soul key.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I'm still doing my DS2 run before jumping in to DS3. I beat the Lost Sinner without realizing I could have lit the room's lights up.

Also, gently caress them for putting the Flexile Sentry in waist deep water as a guard.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm really glad for this small, slow thread, because the one in Games is an unreadable clusterfuck right now.

games.txt

i really like going on a rampage through the undead village. bloody loving peasants

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Anyone know what causes you to get estus refills while out in the field? As far as I can tell it comes from beating tough enemies quickly.

Also I've found that a lot of enemies are tough and attack fast, but they're really easy to stagger, so going on the offensive is a lot better than hiding behind your shield.

I can't look at the game until later but it's an item or piece of equipment that causes you to refill health or estus on critical hits. Backstabs have tangible benefits beyond completely loving up the victim now.

Backstabs are satisfying again. I hated that "slice them a bunch of times" animation from DSII. Slamming a claymore across somebody's back with that sound effect is awesome.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

I can't look at the game until later but it's an item or piece of equipment that causes you to refill health or estus on critical hits. Backstabs have tangible benefits beyond completely loving up the victim now.

Backstabs are satisfying again. I hated that "slice them a bunch of times" animation from DSII. Slamming a claymore across somebody's back with that sound effect is awesome.

Ah, you were using the wrong weapon, with a lance the backstab animation/sound/everything was so loving nice.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

I too would like to know this item's name and location.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

holocaust bloopers posted:

Any cool poo poo in Firelink? Reddit has pointed out there's an easy jump that'll net some stuff that's gated behind a 20k soul key.

Details, man!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4edy3f/early_estus_upgrade_and_useful_ring/

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm not wearing anything special though, just my starting knight gear and the life ring. Every now and then I'll look down and see I have one or two more swigs of estus than I thought I had.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

I tried that very thing last night but I guess I had too many clothes on.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Your mom had that same problem with me

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm not wearing anything special though, just my starting knight gear and the life ring. Every now and then I'll look down and see I have one or two more swigs of estus than I thought I had.

Are you sure you're looking at health estus and not FP estus?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I don't even have an FP estus, I allocated them all to HP.

Blighttown 2.0 is the loving worst.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
this game really sucks in the early goings for sating my need for fashion souls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
Had the internet go out last night when I was 99% done downloading. It came back up this morning so I figured I'd give the game a go. Just made it to the firelink shrine and you guys were right about the tutorial not pulling any punches. Right now I kind of feel like DS2 had much better character creation. It felt really hard to get a character that resembled a human and I thought all of the hair and beard choices looked pretty dumb. Also the SOTFS graphics seem better to me, at least character wise. The smeared mud (I assume that's supposed to be mud) on my depraved character looks pretty dumb and not like mud at all. Also I was really hoping they were going to go back to the DS1 leveling system at bonfires. Having to travel back and talk to some chick everytime was really annoying.

I'll keep going with it, but having some mixed feelings so far.

• Locked thread