Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

What Are Bollards, and Why Are They So Beautiful?

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/what-are-bollards-and-why-are-they-so-beautiful

this worthwhile read posted:

What is a bollard? Originally, it was a metal post that was used to moor a ship. In the 20th century, a bollard became a post meant to obstruct cars and other traffic—to separate cars from people, cars from buildings, cars from...anywhere cars shouldn’t be. Become a bollard spotter, and you will see them everywhere.

a human posted:

How does one become a bollard photographer? For Andrew Choate it all started inadvertently, when he was living in California's Canyon County

cool little flick worth reading in ur into bollards i figure this forum has accrued the saddest population of internet uses slowly taking it's time to become old and make sure everyone decent has left so i figure here's something for u guys to snap one off to in the morning bollards drat how have bollards changed ur life thanks for tuning in and commenting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

i hate to be "that guy", but suck my bollards

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
there is something extremely erotic about the voluptuous shape of bollards and bollard related photography

Illavick
Sep 15, 2012

WHENA MINA RENA VATIVE
Hmm... bollards just emanate that c u c k feel.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
This is why nobody takes art photography seriously. I'm glad, they shouldn't.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Share Obscura Day 2016: Hunting For Bollards In The Wild

Event Details

Los Angeles is a place defined in the popular imagination by its car culture, its traffic. And where you have cars and traffic, you have bollards.

Bollards are short posts, often made of concrete, that form obstructions to traffic in order to protect buildings, equipment, and/or pedestrians. Their use has been traced from ancient Rome, where they doubled as mile markers and tethering posts, to medieval Europe, where captured enemy cannons were placed in the ground to signify success on the battlefield and demarcate town boundaries. The most common shapes and sizes we see today are still based on the look and feel of cannon tips.

Join Andrew Choate, aka @saintbollard, on a walking tour of bollards. You will learn about the history of bollards and discover a wide variety of bollard formations in the context of small and large businesses, the LA River, and Downtown. Picturesque views supplied!

Andrew Choate is an artist who was born and raised in South Carolina. He has been living and working in Los Angeles since 2001. He is the author of "Too Many Times I See Every Thing Just The Way It Is" (Residual Press, PRB Editions), "Langquage Makes Plastic of the Body" (Palm Press) and "Stingray Clapping" (Insert Blanc Press). He has two books forthcoming in 2016: "Learning," which will be published by Writ Large Press and "I Love You More: Performance Texts" for Insert Blanc. He is a member of Inner Dinner, a performance art dining collective, and is the host of The Unwrinkled Ear radio show on KCHUNG every other Tuesday from 5-7pm PST. He produces a monthly concert series dedicated to improvised music in Los Angeles, and he has been publishing his writings on improvised and experimental music since 1998. He is devoted to photographing bollards; he is @saintbollard.

Notes for this adventure:

- This is a two-mile walking tour.
- Exact meet-up location will be emailed to attendees prior to event.
- Street parking is available, please read signs carefully and park at your own discretion.
- Water and sun protective wear are encouraged!
- There are no restroom facilities available during this tour.
- Photography is encouraged! Tag @atlasobscura #obscuraday #bollard
- Rain or shine! This tour will run as scheduled unless we're expecting dangerous weather in which case we will cancel via email. Tickets will be refunded or transferred to a rescheduled date, depending on your availability.
Advance tickets only. All sales are final.

He is ... Saint Bollard

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The look and feel of cannon tips

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

i hate to be "that guy", but suck my bollards
This bollard photographer sounds like a real dullard.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

https://twitter.com/Unwrinkled_Ear/status/697220642421104640

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

finally someone dedicated to changing canada

https://twitter.com/Unwrinkled_Ear/status/681899529528975361

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I've worked with bollards, both fixed and movable. The movable ones get raised and lowered by hydraulics. That's all I have to say about bollards.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Bollards are really annoying if you have to unlock and move them every day.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

did anyone say "suck my bollards" yet?

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
my wife loves bollards, but i couldnt give less shits about them.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
meet me at bollardcon ill be cosplaying as a bollard (dtf)

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
What makes bollards so great is that they taste just as good the next day.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

in the uk they call it snooker

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
loads of these goddamn assholes around harvard campus and they make my job as a driver that much harder!

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
what i can't drive in this pedestrian area? gently caress you

(drives over adjacent grass and around barrier)

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
It's good too see someone channeling their autism positively instead of Sonic the Hedgehog fanfics or Thomas the Tank Engine erotica.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Rando posted:

He is ... Saint Bollard

This sounds more boring that KING REOL's elevator review videos.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hmmmm, I've always called them "crotch poles" :airquote: but bullocks is cool too.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Once this guy finds out what a lingam is he's gonna turn into a real creep.

Malinois
Jun 13, 2003

JiveHonky posted:

my wife loves bollards

hmmmm

Malinois fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 11, 2016

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

bollards are just lovely fences. where's your god now, saint bollard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drad_Bert
Jun 26, 2013

by Smythe
How lonely do you have to be to suck my ding-dong?

p lonely as it turns out :sigh:

• Locked thread