Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Oh, wow, this is a thread I never expected to see. MOO3 was the first game I ever got on the hype train for and, yeah, god it was a disappointment but I STILL prefer the modded MOO3 to basically any 4X made since besides Distant Worlds (including, ironically, the early-access MOO reboot, having tried both last night) because I hated MOO2-style micromanagement THAT MUCH. I'm actually picking it back up again to kill time before Stellaris releases, and I blame you (and myself, because I am clearly a broken soul).

Nick Esasky posted:

sooo, is the Ultima Orion mod without a English version or something? Are there even any recommended English mods for MOO3 these days?

A lot of the changes in Ultima Orion are actually from the "Tropical" version of the main recommended MOO3 mod, the Unofficial Patch which is somehow STILL available here, so if your German ist nicht so gut you can still play a tolerable version of the game.

(note: if you bought the GOG version rather than being one of the poor saps like me who literally bought this game on launch day thirteen years ago, you'll have to EXE-patch the game manually (there's a good set of instructions here rather than using the MOO3.exe that's included with the mod, because that will overwrite GOG's executable and start asking you for a CD again.)

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

PurpleXVI posted:

On the bright side, MoO3 is just slow because it's slow, not because it crashes every third time you click on something and you have to do everything over again.

I actually found newMOO to be unbearably slow and literally slower than MOO3 even without the crashes, probably because a) I deeply hated MOO2's planet management and newMOO goes all in on that, and b) the fact you can only explore a single planet per turn before researching a certain tech, even in the same system, is a really bad first impression in a game so heavily about exploration.

(edit: wait, maybe you were referring to Imperium, not newMOO, I just assumed early access = beta = you'd been having a crashy time.)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

SIGSEGV posted:

That sounds like an excellent way to cut down on micromanaging ferrying troops and ships to the front. And also like something that is extremely easy to abuse.

The random delay on dismissing fleets does a lot to cut down abuse: it's very rare that you'll save any time by dismissing a fleet out of position and remobilizing somewhere else, as opposed to simply flying it over. It's a weird mechanic (or at least something that's never been done in a 4X before or since) but it definitely makes it easier to manage big empires when you can cut out the tedious internal management of "moving things from the shipyards to the front".