Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Thank you for running this LP. It was one I always felt needed to be done but never had the stomach to do myself.

Like many others, I was enthralled by the development process, and for a few weeks tried to convince myself that it was the greatest thing ever.

I actually prefer MoO2 to the first game. Part of it is because that's what I played first, but also because it has an incredible soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Thanks to this LP, I reinstalled MoO2 after getting home from work yesterday.

When I finally stopped playing it was 1:00 am :negative:

EDIT: I remember that Quicksilver tried to be super-secretive about what the Ithkul were. The ultimate lesson I learned from that was no matter what the reveal is it's impossible for it to ever match the speculation, but what I do remember was the placeholder art they used for them was a thumb with an angry face drawn on it. I used it as an Avatar on a couple other sites I was on at the time.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 5, 2016

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

SugarAddict posted:

I played Moo2 yesterday for about 5 hours straight.

I just wish they would actually fix up Moo2 for modern systems instead of inventing new poo poo and telling us it's not poo poo.

I actually picked up the MoO reboot last night and was really getting into it, up until I got my first combat and discovered it was real time :suicide:

EDIT: I feel the need to effortpost, and this feels like a saner place than the Steam forums. I don't have a problem with real-time in and of itself. When an Empire-building game has a tactical-level combat, my big question is "Does this give me more opportunity to influence the outcome than just going to auto-resolve?" In MoO2, you definitely can. The perfect example I can give is finding a monster protecting a system near your homeworld. What I'd do is research Fighter Bays, Battle Pods, Fusion Beams and Fusion Drives, then build a bunch of frigates carrying a single interceptor each and have them do their best Benny Hill impression while the fighters slowly whittle the monster down.

It's true that by end-game combat becomes a clusterfuck that frequently comes down to who gets to shoot first, but I feel that that is an issue that can be fixed rather than something that's so insurmountable it requires fundamentally changing a core aspect of a series. And I would have thought that the success of XCOM and XCOM 2 would have shown that modern audiences aren't turned off by turned based combat.

In MoO3 I never got that feeling that my input ever mattered, but there are enough problems with that game that I don't know if going real-time was to blame. I'm open to the possibility that that real-time tactical combat can be as varied as what you get in MoO2, but I haven't really played a game where that was the case.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 6, 2016

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Hey Lib, where did you get your redtext from?