Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Meklar vs the Ithkul.

I played a lot of MoO1 and bounced off of MoO2 for some reason, and I never dared look at MoO3 because I had been warned—and then I was told that the reality was even worse than the warnings. I'm really looking forward to seeing the game dissected by someone who actually loves the poo poo out of the game while also being fully aware of its flaws.

Gridlocked posted:

Edit: Also I am really stoked that you are posting everything in German. I am currently using Duolingo to learn it and having some german text around is great! I only get maybe 1 in 4 words but I can read some of it :D

Every part of this quote is also true of or for me. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
That the two primary spy attributes are "Cloak" and "Dagger" is the first point in this game where I actually laughed with the game instead of at it.

re: "praxis": the best part of English is how we steal the same word like six times and then repurpose it slightly differently depending on source.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

terrenblade posted:

and I'm running a Moo1 game in sympathy.

I fired it up again to see if I still liked it and it's interesting the degree to which there's a bit of AI help but it's mostly unobtrusive. Ecological spending is adjusted so you don't start dumping waste due to inattention. Every time you get a terraforming or industrial tech or a neat new toy to install on all your worlds you're asked if you want to just have them all adjust that spending on their own. You'll still need to do some tuning (and the interface for that is hideous, so despite preferring 1 to 2 the UI prize still goes to 2 for letting you do almost all the work you'd want to do straight from your list of colonies).

It underlines the idea that MoO3 bit off more than it could chew, as opposed to, say, large chunks of SotS, where it appeared to have been designed by madmen.

edit: vvvv Yeah, to be clear, by any sane metric MoO2 is the better game. I just keep bouncing off of it.

ManxomeBromide fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 30, 2016

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

my dad posted:

I'd honestly dump all of these in favor of lithovore, subterranean, and +50% growth. (And I guess the spare point would go to large world)

I kind of figured that if they were going Feudal/Uncreative that they were intentionally picking a crippled race for laughs.

(For those of you who haven't played MoO2: by default you only get to have about 1/3 of the tech tree. If you're "Creative", an extremely expensive racial bonus, you get to have the whole tech tree (with three applications per tech advance). If you're "Uncreative", you don't get to pick which third. Normally when you pick a field you have an option of 3 advances that is The One You Get; you then trade or spy for the rest and hope other races picked differently.)

I've always been terrible at MoO2 but this thread got me to re-try it along with MoO1. This time I actually read some strategy articles first and talked with other players as I worked through it.

Easy, medium map, 4 opponents, pre-warp, stock Psilons (a Creative race with massive science bonuses, that suffers for it with horrible production and ground-combat penalties that getting All The Production Boosting Techs Alongside Your Weapons helps compesnate for). No habitable planets in range or alien contact for 120 turns, at which point I learn that that (a) you can use outposts to extend your scout range and (b) you can put outposts in asteroid belts and gas giants. This gets me contact with the Gnolam and two colonizable worlds! ... one of which is guarded by a Space Dragon and one of which is Orion itself. Fortunately by then I had the spare capacity to whip up a respectable fleet of missile boats to take down the Dragon and settle the fantastic world it guarded. That gave me two core worlds, and I was able to spread out to meet everyone else along the way.

Sakkra had more or less colonized the entire galaxy at that point with lovely worlds they hadn't properly developed, so now that I had decent across-the-board ships and production, I went into maximum genocide mode. The Trilarians and Mrrshan fell almost instantly, with one hilarious side effect - the Trilarians managed to conquer one of my barren worlds while I was taking their home system. After conquering the home system, their only remaining world was a no-food-available planet full of unassimilated Psilons. Two turns later and they revolted, reverting to my control and destroying the Trilarian Empire. (I did not get credit for wiping them out. Glory to the Revolution instead of the Imperium, I guess.) The Sakkra had decent beam weapons but couldn't match my production or ground-invasion tech, but they offered a peace treaty partway through thanks to space eels showup up and wrecking both our regions and which we were unable to stop. We then spent 40 turns teching up and producing up enough to be able to actually clean out the space eels, and then continued our war of extermination once that was sorted out. They took out the Gnolam while I was rolling up their home space, and then it was all over.

The first war was fought with my Merculite Missiles vs. their Neutron blasters; the last one was fought with Graviton beams (both of us) and (on my side) MIRVed Pulson Missiles.

Total time spent: 3.5 hours and about 375 turns. Looking at other runs, that's a hellaciously sickly victory, but I'll take it.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

PurpleXVI posted:

Basically NONE of this lore is present in MoO1 or 2. Both 1 and 2 were pretty sparse on the fluff, all you really knew was that Orion was a (mostly) deserted treasure trove with a spooky Guardian, and that in 2, that the Antarans were launching raids from their own dimension and needed to have their alien nads kicked in.

As it happens, I have my MoO II manual right here, and can quote the entirety of its lore below:

Master of Orion II posted:

(Excerpted from "Pre-Psilonic Galactic Civilizations" Vol. II, by Ectron Victor, retired Master Adjudicator, Psilon Central History Institute.)

As a story is told and retold over the course of generations, no matter the attention paid to detail and no matter the importance of the tale, the truth is gradually nibbled away by little mistakes and innocent exaggerations. Carried off on these well-intentioned, tiny feet, the facts deteriorate softly and painlessly into a condition generally referred to as "shrouded by time."

The legends concerning the Orions and Antarans are shrouded by time.

What is certain is that at one time both races coexisted in the galaxy. The scope of their power and technical advancement has surely been enhanced by hyperbole, but that they were far superior to anything now known is indisputable. Perhaps it was inevitable that two such behemoths meet in violence. The legends paint the Antarans as ruthless, xenophobic killers, but we all know that history is written by the victors.

The Orion-Antaran war was a protracted holocaust of galactic proportions. While we can never know if they truly flung entire star systems across deep space as weapons (as the storytellers claim), our astrophysicists have uncovered evidence of directed energy bursts the power of which staggers the imagination. That both races had the ability to raze planets no one contests. The Orions eventually defeated the Antarans. Rather than exterminating the race, as the stories claim the Antarans would certainly have done, the Orions chose to imprison their enemies in a "pocket dimension"—a volume the size of a single star system, formed and carved somehow out of the fabric of space-time. Physicists to this day puzzle over the theory and the technique, but the result was obvious; the Antarans were banished one and all from this dimension.

At this point, even the storytellers admit that the legends become vague. Some time after the war, the Orion race inexplicably disappeared. They left only two legacies for the galaxy's future inhabitants. One was the tales of their power and legends of the Antaran war; the other is the Orion system itself. One planet circles this star, and it is reputed to be the original home world of the Orion race. Despite the incredible potential this abandoned world must hold, no one has yet plundered or colonised it. The reason for this is that the system is only uninhabited, not
undefended. The Orions left a single Guardian to protect their home. Perhaps they intend to return some day.

Perhaps the Antarans intend to return, too.

My take on what has been described so far is that in MoO I, the Humans won via either Conquest or Diplomacy and became the Pax Humanica. This then rotted which is why when MoO II starts you have all the same races as in MoO 1 (plus a few new ones like the Gnolams and Elerians and Trilarians) but none of them have anything beyond the rudiments of Warp tech (if that; MoO II has a "pre-warp" start mode where you have to research the ability to leave your home systems). The previous post has us in the late midgame of a contested MoO II game; the MoO II intro is more the late earlygame. (In MoO II in particular, the Psilons also evolved on a world full of Orion and/or Antaran artifacts, which boosts their tech output even more, and also gives an in-game excuse for them having storytellers who know about ancient pangalactic wars despite only having recently (re-?) achieved space.)

Note that MoO II and MoO I did not set themselves up as sequels the way MoO III seems to be making out; MoO II was cast much more as a more sophisticated retelling of MoO I, much like Civ II was of Civ I.

ManxomeBromide fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 15, 2016

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
If nothing else, they're proving how good they are at it.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
That's kind of how the Antarans worked in MoO2, with the aside that kicking their poo poo in meant you won the game.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
The psilons do not know freedom and so should be Left to their fate.

Expeditions are cool, especially since I've never played the game and want to see the mechanics all demonstrated.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Maybe your orbital stations can launch more fighters than the Planet can because you don't have to worry about clearing the gravity well with each piddly fighter.

e: Update on previous page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

SIGSEGV posted:

Mecron, his name was Martin "Mecron" Cirulis and his smiley was , their entire set of team leads were true posters, hearts and souls, and I don't write this in a positive way. I found the link to the SotS2 thread in my bookmarks and good heavens it's glorious:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521006

I heartily recommend reading the whole drat OP at least.

Oh my, that OP brings back memories.

"Fixed bug where meteors could capture admirals."

That's the kind of bug report that implies a much better game than what we got.