Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Also an increased variety of things to play with warfare-wise and species-wise. I think that about the only special equipment in MoO2 I never found at least some niche use for on ship designs was self-destruct devices.

Time-dilation device, phasing cloak, x-capacitors. Skip first turn, wait for enemy to waste their turn doing nothing, get your "first-second" turn and decloak and lay waste to the enemys, on your second turn, do nothing and recloak, laugh at enemy unable to hurt you for first 8 turns of combat as you lay waste to their fleets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I was sad in Moo3 when they limited the negative perk picks to -10 and made assault shuttles non-reusable. Making a game breaking race and curb stomping the AI or people was fun.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Libluini posted:

Did you mean Master of Orion 2?

Negative perks aren't limited in 3 and I've never seen nor remember an "Assault Shuttles"-tech in this game.

You are right, I meant Moo2. Thanks to lack of sleep and late night posting, my posting quality isn't the best.

Edit: I also remember during one game of Moo2 with my dad, he actually ran out of planetary missiles to shoot at the Antarians.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 30, 2016

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

Thanks to this LP, I reinstalled MoO2 after getting home from work yesterday.

When I finally stopped playing it was 1:00 am :negative:

I played Moo2 yesterday for about 5 hours straight.

I just wish they would actually fix up Moo2 for modern systems instead of inventing new poo poo and telling us it's not poo poo.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

When an Empire-building game has a tactical-level combat, my big question is "Does this give me more opportunity to influence the outcome than just going to auto-resolve?" In MoO2, you definitely can. The perfect example I can give is finding a monster protecting a system near your homeworld. What I'd do is research Fighter Bays, Battle Pods, Fusion Beams and Fusion Drives, then build a bunch of frigates carrying a single interceptor each and have them do their best Benny Hill impression while the fighters slowly whittle the monster down.

I think the biggest things I know is getting fusion beam because later on you can research it to be enveloping (great for killing fighters and missiles), graviton beams wreak everything, and achillies targeting unit gives a small chance to basically instakill even Antarian ships, Also tractor beams are very useful for boarding.

Being cybernetic is a huge boon for 3/4ths of the game because your ships auto-repair during battle, this means even if systems are destroyed from boarding or during combat they can be repaired. IE: an immoblized ship with half it's systems destroyed, all it's weapons gone, shields gone, and computer gone, will eventually repair all those systems to full. This also means that Antarians become a joke early game as long as you have good enough armor because you can out-repair their attacks.

I always pick repulsive because if you trade technologies with someone they're just gonna give it to everyone else within 5 turns.

Also the AI loving cheats with spy rolls all the loving time because a single spy can be on you for 3 turns and get a technology and your spys can be on them for 50 turns and get only one.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

SIGSEGV posted:

It was really good for its day. Its improved and updated successor is probably SotS 1, it does away wit the tedious planet and population micromanagement and gives you a pretty deep and broad combat system and a research tree that is perfectly capable of loving you over until you cry. It also gives you a trading system that is kinda painful and a few other decisions that could have been revised.

Also Psychic and Perfect Space Dolphins.

Space dolphins can go screw themselves, space crows with drone spam and beam spam and AI is better (especially when you get the AI enslavement and everyone else is getting AI rebellions).

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Slaan posted:

Space-bugs and space-crows are my favorite. Slowly creep out and annihilate everything with a single uber-fleet of space bugs or drone-spam everything to death. Plus, both ships look great. The hiver hyperspace gates look like giant insects and they love rotating parts and the crows just have an incredibly unique look by being very vertically oriented.

That and the vertical dreads have a majority of their weapons forward and overlapping, meaning you can slice up cruisers and frigates very very quickly. Despite phasor beams being bugged they are probably the best weapon for space crows simply because of perfect accuracy and good range. Also, don't try putting missiles and other slow projectile weapons on drones, it turns out very terrible for the drones.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

Moo2 feudal and uncreative. Do whatever else you want but that is a must.

I can't get repulsive with this since it would exceed -10 points. How do I fix that?

And I got invaded and horribly murdered by turn 40

Try 2, Golams send 5 battleships with class 5 shields, neutron blasters, masses of interceptors, missiles, etc, and kill my entire fleet. Beam evasion does nothing against missiles, interceptors, and lucky shots. I only have class 1 shields and fusion lasers. And I spent 50 turns and about 80 spies just to steal supercomputers (the only thing I stole) which does nothing for the war effort, and the enemy has absurd number of spies and defense while they only need 3 turns with 5 spies to my 30 spies to steal the two or three techs that they don't have.

And both attempts were on average difficulty.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 09:08 on May 7, 2016

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I just learned something fun in MoO2. Apparently if you start the game with lithavore, you can trade it in during the evolutionary mutation upgrade and get more points :unsmigghh:.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I swear in both MoO2 and MoO3 the AI is always blatantly cheating with it's spy rolls all the drat time, ALWAYS.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

Is it really a good idea to be sending your technologies to the Psilons like that? Isn't there a good chance that their (and your) enemies will steal the technology off them, or that they might try to use them to barter for peace?

The Raas have been stealing all his technologies, so I suspect that the first thing the Raas have been doing with it is distributing the tech thoughout the universe to everyone.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

If we were to for some more Culture/Halo names, "Rock beats Everything", "The Universe is your hard Place", "You're going to Roll", "Silicone > Carbon", "Presenting the Royal Jewels" and uhhh, "This if for the Meteorites" are things I just thought up now.

"Extinction" "Dino Exterminator" "End of the Jurassic Era", theres a few others I can't think of involving dino extinction (from when the meteor fell and killed all the dinos), and Jurassic park.

Edit: "Rock Hard" and my possibly NSFW suggestions: "Dick-Butt", "Dick-Rock".

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 27, 2016

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Libluini posted:

Except for Ithkul. I can only recommend shooting them and their planets. Let not a single one of these monsters alive. Belive me, those freaks are better off dead anyway. :colbert:

Can ithkul even eat non-organics like silicoids and meklar? and what about cynoids? they are essentially brains in jars.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

my dad posted:

e: No, I'm not saying it's better than Unitol, the lord and master of all moo2 cheese, but it's a really good combo

I haven't heard of Unitol, would you please elaborate?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Are there any technologies or traits that extend the life of your spies or lets you train them faster?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

my dad posted:

My gimmick fleet of phase-cloaked doom stars with half a dozen stasis weapons and the planet exploder thingie each does not lose battles. Ever. :colbert:

(e: yeah, yeah, I know)

You forgot time dilation with x-capacitors.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
How much do you want to bet that the kalactons, the jellyfish, and the psilons are just sending all their spies at Libluini, and don't forget, even if those planets are just "fake strength", they can still produce and maintain spies.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
One thing I forgot about MoO3, you can view your enemies technologies, this means that you can see who specifically stole from you, and you can see what technologies they have because you might want to steal it. If the bug people stole your drive technology, they're just going to trade with everyone and everyone will have it, if the lizard people have it, I don't think they have contact with anyone besides you so they can't trade with anyone.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

TOTAL WAR AGAINST THE RAAS

As long as the RAAS exist, they will keep sending spies and warships against us. They need to die.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Libluini posted:

Or expensive fireworks, depending on view point.

What really kills forts in MO3 however, is a missing feature: With no ability to refit, replacing highly expensive space castles becomes twice as painful. (You may have noticed how I keep designing new orbitals, but aren't actually building that many of them.)

Forts would be not a waste of money if you could refit them free of cost and in one turn, as it stands they are expensive, and they can get outdated in 3 turns.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
And he also has to defend that research as well, because when it's being researched it can be stolen by spies.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Are you going to put more Science spies in the pipeline to defend your antarian tech when you are trying to research it? (and hopefully steal some rare techs from the enemies before they die out)

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Glazius posted:

How are the Raas able to get such good tech? Have they got a patron feeding them technology to keep harassing you?

They're stealing alot of tech from Libluini. I'm pretty sure there are alot of theft events that aren't reported, the other tech they research.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I think he needs more research spies than anything else because if the raas are stealing that much research from him, they are going to take the antarian research when the research team brings it back.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Slaan posted:

Is there a "no more spying, ever" tech to get v though? Because we're still losing bigly in that regard :smithicide:

This has to do with how many people are spying on Libuini, Empires can only have so many spies out at a time, regardless of size, and affected by tech. He's being spied upon by at least 4 civilizations, the Raas are probably just sending all their spies on offensive, so he has four to five times the number of spies he posses that are invading his empire.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Friend Commuter posted:

Even if you steal them off someone who already decoded them?

the Xs can't be stolen once they are decoded/researched, but they can be stolen while they are in the process of being decoded/researched.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

it;s not like we'd be able to steal them BACK though.

Theres two issues with this, we have to figure out who stole it, then steal it back from them, and hope that someone we don't have contact with steals it from the person that stole it from us.

Veloxyll posted:

it;s not like we'd be able to steal them BACK though.

English is a stupid loving language at times since there is two ways to interpret this.

"it isn't like we can't steal it back" double negative, therefore positive meaning we can.

"it not like we can steal it back" negative meaning we can't.

Or maybe I'm just bad at english, idgaf.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 6, 2017

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
He LIVES! Is there a decent kind of Point Defence weapon meant for taking down fighters so your fighters could spend less time tangoing with enemy fighters and more shooting enemy ships?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

SIGSEGV posted:

I get the feeling you're going to turbo-hate the spying system even more very soon.

Probably half his spies will be tech spies on defense from now on.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
He is going to be so deep in spies he won't be able to get out of bed without tripping over at least one spy.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Libluini posted:

Just a short update: I can't get anywhere inside my own house without tripping over spies, and now they are eating my food, driving up my water bill, ordering movies on the cable TV, and they used ALL THE TOILET PAPER. Oh, and they clogged all the toilets. Please send toilet paper, food, and a plumber to fix my toilets.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

NHO posted:

Quantum Field Emitters and Plasma Cannons for close range punch. No to missiles

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Ahh, the AI of Master of Orion. Really REALLY hates players.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

For some reason I hadn't even considered that the AI might actually be responding to what you were doing, I just assumed it was going to be braindead and act more or less randomly. :v:

There exists a time in every MOO game that the AI decides "The player dies now". This is one of those times.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Is that a mod for Civ II, or a mod for Moo 2?

Edit: oh wow, there's some QoL mods for Moo 2, that would help my life alot.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 12, 2018

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Ants ate his internet.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Libluini posted:

The spy-situation gets even better in a couple updates! :shepface:

Anyway, thanks to the min-maxing I did at race creation to make our Silicoid-offshoot into the magic science crystals they are, we are already at a position considered "high" in terms of oppression. I could maybe go one step higher, but then we would probably create more unrest than we lose by catching the occasional spy.

On the other hand, said oppressometer-level is rather low from a Non-Special Snowflake Silicoid standpoint, so our alien populations are integrating fine so far, no larger problems, no revolts to put down. As long as this works so well for us, I'm not really inclined to make any changes.

This proves how the MOO series standard of "everyone gang up on the player" is doing so far for Libluini. All of the reports he's gotten so far were about spies that successfully gotten into his empire and did something. It doesn't give a report for failed attempts by the computers trying to insert spies into his empire. Libluini has been litreally swimming in computer controlled spies the entire game. If he didn't have snowflake silicoids that are into being oppressed, he would be drowning in spies instead of swimming in them.

There are at least a hundred spies either trying to get into his empire or attacking him at any point in time and they have been pretty much the entire game, and now because of this event, instead of maybe 10/100 spies he now has 30 or 40/100 hostile spies.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Val Helmethead posted:

At this point, our culture must be based around the forever war with our Dino friends. What will we do when it finally ends?

Move on to the next species that needs to be extinguished by rocks from space :getin:

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Looking forward to seeing them rocking the galaxy

Like a meteor storm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

wedgekree posted:

Hey, thanks for the update. You're rocking forwards slowly but steadily through that hard place..

Your thread is a diamond in the making, and diamonds take alot of effort to make, unless you are taking lessons from Chuck Norris on how to make diamonds.