Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Skynetniks vs the fleshy-ish skynetniks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'll have you know, Silicoids are the only true masters of espionage.

You'll never see them before it's too late.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Nah, everyone could colonize those worlds, they just needed to produce food elsewhere and ship it in with freighters.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Society bonuses?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
To be more precise, you use slower than light travel within solar systems, which is abstracted into taking 1 turn to travel to any planet/jump hole in them. Your scout is going to spend a couple of turns within each system you explore, which is why you start with 2 scouts, a frigate, a colony ship, and the ability to build more scouts pretty drat fast.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It's a shame this game's economy sucks (from what I can see so far). I loving loved playing space$$$ in moo2 (democracy, good traders, +1BC per pop, poo poo combat stats to balance out). You know, play peacefully, be polite to nice neighbors and trade with them, and if they're not nice, bribe the poo poo out of them to make them nice. And then if you find someone who just refuses want to play nice, burns one of your outlying colonies to the ground, and sends their whole fleet towards your next system? Why, dip into your cash reserves to pop a fleet of battleships custom made to fight their fleet (if needs be, relevant techs acquired through emergency trades with friendlier neighbors) in the 3 turns it takes for the enemy to arrive, crush their fleet, drown them under a neverending tide of cash and steel, and once they're wiped off the face of the galaxy, disband your fleet and ask any newly acquired neighbors if they're interested in a trade agreement. :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Speaking of other 4X games, I watched a couple of LP episodes of Stellaris. Is it just me, or did Paradox borrow (and de-grog) quite a few game mechanics from Aurora4X?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Aethernet posted:

They borrowed lots of elements from lots of games. The three-section design comes from SOTS, and the genuine late-game threats come from there too (Locusts!). Antarans don't really count. The multi-species worlds hark back to MOO2, while Pops are from Vicky and the planet grid is from Ascendency.

Difficult to spot particular Aurora influences though - what did you have in mind?

Something about their whole surveying system reminds me a lot of it, and also some of the mechanics of species modifications. There's also a bunch of tiny details that remind me of de-grogged versions of Aurora mechanics that didn't show up in other 4X games I played (but quite possibly showed up in ones I didn't :v:)

Veloxyll posted:

drat big government. if they'd stopped meddling, we could've made Liberty Great Again.

OK, your mini-LP was hilarious.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm still sad nobody found the other silicoid in the pic I posted. :(

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I actually tend to aggressively trade techs in moo2. I know I can use them better than the AI can, after all. Best to do it in batches, though - sell tech X to several enemy factions on the same turn. That way, they won't get to make trades, and you get several techs at the price of one.

The way you deal with overwhelming numbers of enemy spies is that you place a couple of your own in their empire and set them to hide. That way, the enemy pulls back all of their spies to take care of your own spies (who are doing their drat best to avoid being spotted, and don't actually piss off the enemy because they aren't really doing anything). Or you can just ask them not to spy on you. If they aren't planning to invade you soon, they'll agree, and stick to the agreement for a very long time. Which, uh, you can't do with repulsive. :v:

My personal cheese is telepathic + rushing assault craft tech. Doesn't matter how much of a tech advantage the enemy has. As long as you have enough boarding ships to take over a couple of their ships, you can turn these against them in the middle of the battle, and mind control the planet below with them, no troop transports needed.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'd honestly dump all of these in favor of lithovore, subterranean, and +50% growth. (And I guess the spare point would go to large world)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
If we develop any kind of a super-ship, we should name it Kryptonite Jadarite class. :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Ouch

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ashnjack posted:

Wait, that was in game lore?! I thought you were just randomly making stuff up that sort of fit into the game.

that'd be a lotta fanfiction

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Since there's no other thread I know where moo2 can be discussed, might as well ask here:

Does anyone think feudal government is vastly underpriced? Like, I'd much rather use feudal than dictatorship in moo2. Low science output can be worked around, but having ships only cost 2/3 of their normal production cost is huuuuuuuge (in fact, for shipbuilding, feudal is better than unification - the extra production they get runs into pollution problems, and your ships are straight up cheaper to buy), AND you get 4 extra points to spend on something else. And the advanced government form is loving amazing, with ships being 1/3 of their normal price

My favorite race for dealing with max difficulty no-diplomacy runs (the AI is waaaaay too easy to game) are feudal lithovore underground warlords (with the -6 points repulsive trait) - I usually use the Sakkra for this since it's basically a slight modification of their traits. The biggest flaw of the build is that you're utterly hosed if you get a particularly lovely starting system, since it heavily relies on having a very early population factory world that focuses on housing, and possibly an extra planet that can receive that population. Your planets are a bitch and a half to take due to the bajillion infantry on them (you'll have military bases on all of them since pre-colonization outposts are really cheap for you to get), you WILL have a hilariously huge population that is entirely focused on useful stuff instead of bothering with food (and each pop unit brings in extra cash), the science penalty doesn't affect science from structures and you're going to have a bunch of planets to build them on anyway, and you can just spam out cheap ships and not really have to worry about command points.

e: No, I'm not saying it's better than Unitol, the lord and master of all moo2 cheese, but it's a really good combo

my dad fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 17, 2016

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

SugarAddict posted:

I haven't heard of Unitol, would you please elaborate?

Unification(6 points) + tolerant(10 points) (conveniently priced for the -6 from repulsive, which you certainly are for using this build :v: ).

Unification - you get +50% food and +50% production, and a defensive spy boost, for the tradeoff of not getting any benefits from morale and really, really, really slow assimilation until you get the alien management center,
Tolerant - higher population cap, especially on lovely planets, and you do not produce any pollution whatsoever (hidden benefit beyond the obvious one: you do not have to make hard choices with techs that involve pollution buildings)

Right from the get-go, you need to use less population to produce food, can switch from 100% science to 100% industry production at will without issues with pollution-induced diminishing returns, and can easily increase your population count sky high. Depending on the tech level you start at, you can spam out colony ships at a ridiculous rate from turn 1.

Pick some harmless negative trait for +1 production, or to make your homeworld rich and large, and let the galaxy burn.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ulmont posted:

I always liked to just go Subterranean (also 6 points) + Tolerant, to just double down on +population.

You really, really, really need +1 food or at the very least the cybernetic trait to make that one work without getting bogged down with food problems until you can research and build soil enrichers (a big deal if you want to get the big production or research techs early on), though, while unitol has flexibility in choosing the extra trait. The 4 'free' points actually give you a surprising amount of bonuses!

If you take warlord, you can easily leverage your industry and large number of planets to produce massive fleets.
You can crank out spies at a ridiculous rate, and if you get +10 to espionage, you can nick tech from enemies as fast as they're researching it, especially if they're a democracy, while being almost completely immune to espionage yourself.
You can simply get 1+ research to round out your build, or make your homeworld an artifact planet. Artifact world + large world is a huuuuuuge boost.
e: Oh, almost forgot fantastic trader! You can leverage both your excess food production and excess industry into huuuuuuge wads of cash since it doubles your income from this. And this is before taking trade agreement bonuses into account.

my dad fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 20, 2016

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Libluini posted:

Just for people new to the thread: my dad and ulmont are talking about another game, if you're only interested in Master of Orion III, please don't be confused and just ignore them.

Talk about MO2 is OK, though! Just don't overdo it.

We did read your update, don't worry. Just waiting for the inevitable bug war. :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Are they at war with someone else? You could easily snag up a bunch of techs in moo2 if you focused your spies on AIs that are at war with someone else, since their spies are busy dealing with the enemy.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

JamieTheD posted:

Funnily enough, that was a common sentiment at the time, too... Well, among folks who got the game to work. This sort of cry of "WAIT... We LOST? But, but, but... :psyduck: "

My gimmick fleet of phase-cloaked doom stars with half a dozen stasis weapons and the planet exploder thingie each does not lose battles. Ever. :colbert:

(e: yeah, yeah, I know)

my dad fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 1, 2016

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

SugarAddict posted:

You forgot time dilation with x-capacitors.

Nah. That one loses to my fleet. :v:

Phase-cloak has a time limit, 20 turns before you become vulnerable, I think, and time-dilation halves the time it lasts since you're taking turns twice as fast. Once your invulnerability is over, it's just a matter of tagging all your ships with stasis fields, and then melting them one by one.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Chocolate Chunk posted:

The Systems of Justice Justgniess and Dinosaurs DinoBores were liberated by our valiant Silicoid Space Marines

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It would actually be a really cool thing if the player was able to be the one that does this.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

RedMagus posted:

+1 for Verdune, cause Ver-DONE thank goodness.

fixed

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Libluini posted:

What did I do wrong last update?

You played MoO3

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
CONQUER THE PSILONS :kheldragar:

go grab ruins i guess :geno:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Voting for whichever Libluini prefers, just to get this LP moving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It's Deceitful Penguin posting, so more like loud but ultimately harmless farts.