Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Could you be the victim of Amatonormativity?

Just like Asexuality became...a sexual orientation... Aromantics are the new oppressed group in need of representation.

They even have a flag.

But what is Aromanticism?
Well, "An orientation comprised of a complete lack of romantic interest, behaviors, and relationships." :airquote:

See, they're oppressed by Amatonormativity - “the assumption that a central, exclusive, amorous relationship is normal for humans, in that it is a universally shared goal, and that such a relationship is normative, in the sense that it should be aimed at in preference to other relationship types,” according to Elizabeth Brake.

quote:

The fact that I never wanted to marry, that my sis and I raise our kids together regardless of who we’re involved with, and that I want to live in a house with all of my friends strikes people as very, very weird.

So now, not wanting to have sex, or not wanting a relationship counts as a sexual identity. Let's take a moment to remember the long history of Aromantic and Asexual goons who have graced these forums. :reject:

http://everydayfeminism.com/2016/04/amatonormativity-expectations/
http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/12/myths-about-aromanticism/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
im homo sapiens

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I, too, am an aromantic because I am too boring and unattractive to find a mate I am a brilliant lost soul that was fated from birth to live a single lifestyle.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Were were all these people after the last glaciation ?

If they made a bigger deal back then maybe human societies would look different now.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Hey everyone, look at how much sex I'm not having! Look how special and unique I am!

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

So what's the difference between aromanticism and sociopathy?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

you're just making up words now

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
it would be nice to watch television for once without being marketed to as if sex were the only thing on my mind every single second of every single day so that's cool I guess?

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

symbolic posted:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

redm posted:

it would be nice to watch television for once without being marketed to as if sex were the only thing on my mind every single second of every single day so that's cool I guess?

Let the world know.

symbolic posted:

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

<man puts gun in mouth, hand shaking, and squeezes his eyes shut tight as his finger begins to squeeze the trigger>

booming voice: has your entire life been devoid of meaningful relationships? are you incapable of even imagining the caress of another human being?

<man takes gun out of mouth and turns toward camera> yeah!

booming voice: maybe you're an "aromantic"! there are millions of people just like you!

man: finally, a sexual identity that represents *me* and *my* experience!

<man puts gun back in mouth>

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
I never agreed to being associated with your fancy pants word I've never heard of before, you take that back before I make a vlog about this I swear to god I'll do it

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
How's this different from MGTOW ? different levels of spite ?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Decebal posted:

One has a flag, duh.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I was going to quote it, but holy poo poo it's long.
You might be aromantic if…

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

is there any law which actually forbids a massive erection from being a nation's legal flag? I'm going to "raise" this issue with the security council lmbo

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

MiracleWhale posted:

<man puts gun in mouth, hand shaking, and squeezes his eyes shut tight as his finger begins to squeeze the trigger>

booming voice: has your entire life been devoid of meaningful relationships? are you incapable of even imagining the caress of another human being?

<man takes gun out of mouth and turns toward camera> yeah!

booming voice: maybe you're an "aromantic"! there are millions of people just like you!

man: finally, a sexual identity that represents *me* and *my* experience!

<man puts gun back in mouth>

th;is a good post

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Do these people masturbate do you think

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
how many synonyms for "unfuckable" does tumblr need

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Luckily there's a loving glossary full of gems like:

Words and concepts used in asexual communities posted:

Aesthetic Attraction - An interest or desire to look at someone and appreciate their appearance, but which isn’t necessarily sexual or romantic.

Asexy - Describes a person or thing who is cool, excellent, or attractive in a non-sexual way. Also a complimentary descriptor for asexual people in general.

Demiromantic - A person who can only feel romantic attraction to someone they have established a close emotional connection with.

Demisexual - A person who can only feel sexual attraction to someone they have established a close emotional connection with.

Lithromantic - A person who feels romantic attraction but does not need their feelings to be reciprocated, or who does not like receiving romantic gestures. Also called “akoiromantic / akoineromantic.”

Squish - The platonic or non-romantic equivalent of a crush. A very strong desire to get to know someone, be their friend and spend time with them.

WTFromantic - Also called “quoiromantic.” The romantic orientation for people who find romantic orientations confusing, or who don’t perceive a clear difference between feelings of romance and friendship, or for whom the idea of “romantic orientation” does not apply.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
pretty sure "aromantics" aren't about not having sex but just not being in "romantic" relationships, i.e. at least some of them are entirely willing to have casual sex, they're just not interested in getting attached or committed to any one person

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Decebal posted:

Being pissed off at your ex wife isn't the same as having autism.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

pretty sure "aromantics" aren't about not having sex but just not being in "romantic" relationships, i.e. at least some of them are entirely willing to have casual sex, they're just not interested in getting attached or committed to any one person
so typical male right heh

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I'm the world's first Black genderqueer polyamorous pansexual who has apparently never heard of Paliament

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
"I will NOT be labelled!!!"

Words and concepts used in asexual communities posted: posted:

Aesthetic Attraction - An interest or desire to look at someone and appreciate their appearance, but which isn’t necessarily sexual or romantic.

Asexy - Describes a person or thing who is cool, excellent, or attractive in a non-sexual way. Also a complimentary descriptor for asexual people in general.

Demiromantic - A person who can only feel romantic attraction to someone they have established a close emotional connection with.

Demisexual - A person who can only feel sexual attraction to someone they have established a close emotional connection with.

Lithromantic - A person who feels romantic attraction but does not need their feelings to be reciprocated, or who does not like receiving romantic gestures. Also called “akoiromantic / akoineromantic.”

Squish - The platonic or non-romantic equivalent of a crush. A very strong desire to get to know someone, be their friend and spend time with them.

WTFromantic - Also called “quoiromantic.” The romantic orientation for people who find romantic orientations confusing, or who don’t perceive a clear difference between feelings of romance and friendship, or for whom the idea of “romantic orientation” does not apply.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
While I have just a squish on the OP, I would also like to gently caress it's pouty mouth.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

so its literally "i'm not looking for a serious relationship right now"- the orientation? lol

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

They can stay, then.

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
maybe every whacked out brain disorder doesnt deserve equal representation in the media. horrible, i know

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Profondo Rosso posted:

so its literally "i'm not looking for a serious relationship right now"- the orientation? lol
ugh you don't get it dad there are no depictions in media that capture the story of a person who only wants casual sex

i started writing because someone has to tell this story

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

maybe every whacked out brain disorder doesnt deserve equal representation in the media. horrible, i know

TRIGGERED

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Mordja posted:

"I will NOT be labelled!!!"

Words and concepts used in asexual communities posted:

Pomosexual, Pomosexuality - 1) a personal decision not to identify with conventional orientation labels, or the belief that such labels do not apply; and 2) the belief or philosophy that conventional orientation labels are not useful for people in general, and can, or should be, disregarded.

:ughh:

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
if I don't write about this word I made up then who will i ask you

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I thought it would be about people that get off only to aphrodisiac perfumes.

Or people with anosmia.

Well, colored me surprised!

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
SOMEONE PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
With each generation of americans the "struggle" becomes more risible. Can you imagine those Selma protestors reading this poo poo ?!

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

i'm not a lonely loser no one would want to date, im just aromantic :smuggo:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7Mze2y22SA

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax
im pomosexual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
these are the people who like to cheat a lot right

• Locked thread