Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

everywhere on the web i am reminded of Sir Humphrey's Law of Inverse Relevance: the less you plan to do, the more you have to talk about it

there's a modern version of that with scroll gags and stock photography

that poo poo is so obviously a distraction from the fact you don't have anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
What is it called when a page tries to not look like its scrolling when you scroll it but it instead like moves elements around or opens up/expands elements as you scroll?

Whatever that is I loving hate.

EDIT: It is like the flash restaurant site of the now.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Apr 12, 2016

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Maldoror posted:

* people are buying more phones and tablets and less computers, so our website should look and feel like it was designed for a tablet / phone, with big color blocks everywhere, less information, and less intuitive look and feel, everything should just be swipe / click bait

* modern cpus are fast and multi core, so it's fine to load literally dozens to hundreds of ads, tracking / data / telemetry scripts that do nothing for the end user, and all kinds of social media scripts that connect our site to all the popular social media sites because if we don't get exposure there we're surely done for (never mind the fact that we re-designed our site for tablets and devices and the literally dozens to hundreds of ad & tracking related scripts we run simultaneously crash over half of all the different tablets and devices people are currently using)

* don't load web pages, "stream" them instead, so people can't easily search for information or download it offline, this will force all the ads / tracking / social media scripts to load, most users aren't using ad blockers because they are on non jail broken tablets or phones

Goddammit this one could be my current list of top pet peeves at work

chaosbreather posted:

if you take over navigation with a stupid spa and don't use the history api properly and responsibly to push out working, current urls for content you're human garbage who is breaking the internet

hijacking scrolling

Anytime people are trying to tweak or enhance or reimplement native browser func is almost always bad but messing with scrolling? gently caress YOU IDIOTS. God i hate being a developer sometimes.

I blame ios mostly. People think their web page needs to have all this ios-app-style ui functionality that is janky as gently caress to implement with web tech. Like scrolling through a bunch waypoints and stuff. Yeah it's possible to do on the web but again gently caress YOU IDIOTS

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Demonachizer posted:

What is it called when a page tries to not look like its scrolling when you scroll it but it instead like moves elements around or opens up/expands elements as you scroll?

Whatever that is I loving hate.

EDIT: It is like the flash restaurant site of the now.

I know what you mean. It is a weird bastardized usage of a parallax effect and it is absolutely poo poo but there may be a more specialized term (or at least 5 terms that all refer to that same exact concept; such is the life of a Computer Developer). can anyone think of any example site? This is another trend that made it to the web from android/ios apps i feel like.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I have a feeling this whole internet thing is going to take off and be pretty big.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Why can't websites be well formatted and readable text with pictures that you can click on to see big or whatever. I would be perfectly happy if THE NET was functionally identically to windows 3.1 help files.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

chaosbreather posted:

ahhaha in safari that site just jitters around when you try and scroll and now its just blank white

great job warhammer

that's basically what it does in chrome

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
if i can't get it on rss then i just wont read it

whats firefox + extensions like for ios, crippled or fully-functional?

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
dumb wankers have always wanted to turn their website into a tv channel, it was only our good luck that flash loving sucked but they might just be achieving it with dhtml at long last

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

8 track betamax posted:

Why can't websites be well formatted and readable text with pictures that you can click on to see big or whatever. I would be perfectly happy if THE NET was functionally identically to windows 3.1 help files.

Agreed. Speaking as a designer, we would all be much better off if we stuck with Gopher, serving Markdown or purely semantic data utterly divorced from display considerations.

But then everyone would just create the filth some other way

There just might not be a medium that can communicate anything important or useful that can't also transmit retina-searing commercial infused diarrhoea. Maybe that's a good thing somehow?

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
Autoplay videos on the top of text articles. I can read, thanks, don't need some douchebag in a suit to read out loud to me.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

turbomoose posted:

Autoplay videos on the top of text articles. I can read, thanks, don't need some douchebag in a suit to read out loud to me.

Autoplay adverts that loving pauses my music to try and sell me pet insurance or some horseshit loving that garbage it makes me super mad :supaburn:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Dont even loving get me started on retina

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Dear OP, I was excited to see my forums buddy posting a new thread but then I saw infinite scrolling and broke out into painful and debilitating hives and died.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

dumb wankers have always wanted to turn their website into a tv channel, it was only our good luck that flash loving sucked but they might just be achieving it with dhtml at long last

lol at dhtml. Youre right though, web technologies can more or less do all the fancy poo poo flash offered over a decade ago except with much better performance (um in theory at least) and security. Streaming encrypted video is still one of flash's only valid use cases in 2015 that i can think of

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Captain Yossarian posted:

Dear OP, I was excited to see my forums buddy posting a new thread but then I saw infinite scrolling and broke out into painful and debilitating hives and died.

:rip: another soldier lost in the field :(

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

for real i hate those goddamn carousels

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Woden posted:

Video players with only on/off options for sound. Every other source of noise making works fine but now I have this digital option of ears bleeding or silence.

drat, how did i not think of this? that is the loving worst

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
I don't know if espn still does this, but autoplaying videos on articles. I just want to read a summary of the game, I don't want to watch your god drat video rear end in a top hat. if I wanted to watch it, I would press the play button

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
in the late 90's, they thought in 20 years the whole web would be virtual reality

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VRML

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Are there still text only browsers

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i think infinite scroll works for something like a twitter feed where there's new content getting added at the top every few minutes/seconds. otherwise its bad

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

8 track betamax posted:

Are there still text only browsers

apparently lynx is still maintained. it looks like you can get it working on most OS not just linux

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Parallax Scroll posted:

i think infinite scroll works for something like a twitter feed where there's new content getting added at the top every few minutes/seconds. otherwise its bad

yeah it has limited use cases and can be implemented well it just usually isnt

ROFLburger posted:

I don't know if espn still does this, but autoplaying videos on articles. I just want to read a summary of the game, I don't want to watch your god drat video rear end in a top hat. if I wanted to watch it, I would press the play button

They do... If anything they doubled down on this poo poo during their recent big site redesign

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Oh gently caress, you know what we need? A big horizontal bar at the top of the screen so when you page down via the space bar or page down button, more than an inch of your aeticle is hidden behind it. Lets throw one at the bottom of the screen, sometimes too, just gently caress it. Who cares if its covering content?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Wedemeyer posted:

Oh gently caress, you know what we need? A big horizontal bar at the top of the screen so when you page down via the space bar or page down button, more than an inch of your aeticle is hidden behind it. Lets throw one at the bottom of the screen, sometimes too, just gently caress it. Who cares if its covering content?

Plus two enourmous whitespaces on the side, since we need to put that all that horizontal space gained by selling people widescreen monitors to good use.

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

Pages capturing keystrokes. gently caress you

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

thathonkey posted:

lol at dhtml. Youre right though, web technologies can more or less do all the fancy poo poo flash offered over a decade ago except with much better performance (um in theory at least) and security. Streaming encrypted video is still one of flash's only valid use cases in 2015 that i can think of

Yeah but gently caress encrypted video

Woden
May 6, 2006

Parallax Scroll posted:

It's still bad, you're scrolling through a feed and there's more poo poo added up the top while you want to dig deeper with no easy way to do both once you started. It also uses up a poo poo load of RAM after a while and in the case of Twitter pushes you back to the top of the feed when you press the wrong button trying to get an image full sized.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

Yeah but gently caress encrypted video

Im talking specifically about streams that a company wants to keep their own being encrypted (eg not pirated/stealable). Afaik there is no non-flash solution for this but it is near.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

thathonkey posted:

Im talking specifically about streams that a company wants to keep their own being encrypted (eg not pirated/stealable). Afaik there is no non-flash solution for this but it is near.

if they don't want people to take poo poo maybe they shouldn't put it on the internet! :v:

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

This is more backend, but Google Tag Manager is the bane of my loving existence.

How about we give the client's marketing total control over script injection! Surely it won't result in recursive ad loads resulting in 2500 requests over 50 seconds until the page crashes. Sorry, I cant fix that, you wont give us access to your GTM account. Have fun though!

Seriously though, leave your console network tab open on some sites and you will be appalled.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

BossRighteous posted:

This is more backend, but Google Tag Manager is the bane of my loving existence.

How about we give the client's marketing total control over script injection! Surely it won't result in recursive ad loads resulting in 2500 requests over 50 seconds until the page crashes. Sorry, I cant fix that, you wont give us access to your GTM account. Have fun though!

Seriously though, leave your console network tab open on some sites and you will be appalled.

Id definitely not recommend doing this it is indeed appalling. If you run that plugin called ghostery you can see how much bullshit sites are loading and what it is/does.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

just installed that and it's pretty cool. i love poo poo like that that lets me peek behind the curtain

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
its cool when you try to click on something on your phone before the page finishes loading, then all the poo poo moves around so you end up clicking on an ad or w/e

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

ROFLburger posted:

they love resetting your selection of autoplay off as well

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

taco_fox posted:

Pages capturing keystrokes. gently caress you
...is this actually a thing? keylogging with a loving webpage?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Woden posted:

It's still bad, you're scrolling through a feed and there's more poo poo added up the top while you want to dig deeper with no easy way to do both once you started. It also uses up a poo poo load of RAM after a while
yes, this is extremely annoying, especially if you're trying to look for an old entry on a twitter feed or facebook wall.

quote:

and in the case of Twitter pushes you back to the top of the feed when you press the wrong button trying to get an image full sized.
this is the worst. twitter twitor of all people should be able to fix this, since their entire product is a single social networking website. I suppose being pre-profit for so long they're also used to be pre-fixing poo poo.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
The Verge is terrible, let's examine why:

quote:

LMOrchard analyzed what happened when his browser opened a Verge article in July. Before it was done displaying a 1600-word article with a couple of pictures, it had downloaded almost 10Mb of data. All of the words in the article add up to about 1/1000th of that amount of data! When a reader complained on Twitter about bloated pages from the Verge’s mobile site, Nilay Patel (Verge editor-in-chief) conceded that advertising was responsible for much of the rest of the loads.

Even more distressing, the browser loading that Verge page sent data to over 20 different companies that assemble tracking information and handle advertising.

http://www.brucebnews.com/2015/09/ad-blocking-the-good-the-bad-and-the-death-of-the-internet/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
This website uses cookies, as a Bootstrap banner across the top. Hi, european web site. hahah we're laughing at you and that stupid babysitter law. Cookie warnings in 2016. Christ.

• Locked thread