Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senator Sprinkles
Aug 16, 2008

We're all afraid of something. Some fears are reasonable and justifiable: venomous snakes, spiders, heights, and other legitimately dangerous things.

And on the other hand, there's stupid bullshit that nobody should even think twice about that scares the bejesus out of some of us! For instance, my dumb rear end is scared of hallways that have heavy doors that open outward into them, like in schools and some office buildings. What if I'm walking down the hallway and somebody suddenly opens a door too fast and it donks me in the noggin real hard?! To this day, when walking near heavy, outward-opening doors I tense up whatever arm is closest to the door (as if my feeble triceps are going to stop the concussion I just know I'm gonna get) and give them a really wide berth. :ohdear:

I also used to be really terrified of deep, clear water. When I was a kid of about 7 we went out on Lake Mead (the giant reservoir lake that the Hoover Dam makes) and swam, and I was horrified that I could see my toes in the water clear as day but couldn't see the bottom :spooky: What unknowable horrors lurked beneath that water, waiting patiently to wrap their ravenous tendrils around my tender flesh, I shall never know. I did piss my trunks a little and almost cried, and I still get heebie-jeebies when I think about really deep water. :coolfish: :krakken:

So, goons, what dumb phobias or other stupid irrational poo poo are you scared of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008
Jellyfish.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
The sensation of chewing on wool. To my recollection, I've never actually done so, but every once in a while I'll imagine gnawing on my scarf or sweater and I get a full-body shudder.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Butterflies. When I was a kid I had a dream that giant butterflies were swooping down and knocking people over and eating them with their creepy party-favor proboscis mouths, and it screwed me up forever.

Second dumbest fear: the singularity.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Having my hand/arm crushed in a revolving door.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

When someone else drops food on the floor, I'm paranoid that they're gonna pick it up and eat it.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Butterflies. When I was a kid I had a dream that giant butterflies were swooping down and knocking people over and eating them with their creepy party-favor proboscis mouths, and it screwed me up forever.

Second dumbest fear: the singularity.

I'm terrified of butterflies as well.

Not sure why, but i get full on locked up, heart beating wildly, deathly terror if one gets into my house somehow. They move weird or something, i dunno.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Whenever I see a heavily pregnant woman, I become really paranoid that I'm going to like, slip on a banana peel and careen Looney Tunes-style directly onto her stomach. I'm not especially clumsy, and I've never had a traumatic experience with a pregnant woman that I can recall, so I don't know what the gently caress. A lot of my friends are starting to have kids, and it's nerve-wracking :smith:

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Not something you run into a lot anymore in TYOOL 2016, but the sound of a CD skipping. It fills me with a sense of dread in a way nothing else does.

Nothing, except for the noise a phone makes when it's left off the hook.

The analog era was terrifying.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

same

i remember sitting in an aquarium as a little kid, and thinking/learning about how jellyfish don't have brains, and for some reason that freaked me out so much and to this day seeing a jellyfish makes me kinda panic a little

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I have a phobia of people in the "adult baby/diaper lover" fetish scene. Most people are just unsettled by that, my reaction is generally more along the lines of "run away screaming, heart pounding at 2x normal rate."

I don't even know what the gently caress it came from, a therapist would probably have a field day with it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Crow Jane posted:

Whenever I see a heavily pregnant woman, I become really paranoid that I'm going to like, slip on a banana peel and careen Looney Tunes-style directly onto her stomach. I'm not especially clumsy, and I've never had a traumatic experience with a pregnant woman that I can recall, so I don't know what the gently caress. A lot of my friends are starting to have kids, and it's nerve-wracking :smith:

Similarly, even though I have never needed to hold a baby at any time, if I ever had to hold someone's baby for some reason I just know the floor would turn into banana peels made out of jell-o

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

13Pandora13 posted:

Not something you run into a lot anymore in TYOOL 2016, but the sound of a CD skipping. It fills me with a sense of dread in a way nothing else does.

Similarly I have a weird phobia of broken LCD screens. It just gives me a weird tingly unsettled feeling.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Gravity suddenly reversing. Whenever I'm outside I always try to position myself somewhere where I could cling on to something if I just suddenly shot upward. Totally loving stupid but apparently I'm not the only one with this bizarre fear so whatever!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

g0lbez posted:

Gravity suddenly reversing. Whenever I'm outside I always try to position myself somewhere where I could cling on to something if I just suddenly shot upward. Totally loving stupid but apparently I'm not the only one with this bizarre fear so whatever!

This is mine. It's actually become a legit crippling phobia I've had for years and can't seem to get rid of. I have a hard time standing outside in an open area without benzos in my system. It sucks and I need help. :smith:

Is there a name for this? How do I make it go away?

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm not sure if it counts as a fear, but it's definitely something harmless that provokes an adverse reaction: I feel a sharp, burning pain running up my neck when I hear fabric tearing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

This is mine. It's actually become a legit crippling phobia I've had for years and can't seem to get rid of. I have a hard time standing outside in an open area without benzos in my system. It sucks and I need help. :smith:

Sounds kind of like a kind of agoraphobia? Can you talk to a therapist or even just your doctor?

I'm having a really hard time with escalators lately.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

HopperUK posted:

Sounds kind of like a kind of agoraphobia? Can you talk to a therapist or even just your doctor?

Gitmo has many, many, many reasons to talk to a therapist. This is hardly even in the top ten.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Crow Jane posted:

The sensation of chewing on wool. To my recollection, I've never actually done so, but every once in a while I'll imagine gnawing on my scarf or sweater and I get a full-body shudder.

I get this but with like bristle scrubbers and steel wool. I always imagine it getting into my mouth or brushing my teeth with it

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I believe this is called "being a fantasy dwarf"

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I have an irrational fear that I will go to sleep and when I wake up, I'll be in an earlier, shittier part of my life.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

Crow Jane posted:

This happens to me as well. Also if I think about or see someone sucking/chewing on hoodie drawstrings

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Senator Sprinkles posted:

And on the other hand, there's stupid bullshit that nobody should even think twice about that scares the bejesus out of some of us! For instance, my dumb rear end is scared of hallways that have heavy doors that open outward into them, like in schools and some office buildings. What if I'm walking down the hallway and somebody suddenly opens a door too fast and it donks me in the noggin real hard?! To this day, when walking near heavy, outward-opening doors I tense up whatever arm is closest to the door (as if my feeble triceps are going to stop the concussion I just know I'm gonna get) and give them a really wide berth. :ohdear:

My office has one of these at the top of a staircase. You have to walk past it to exit the building. :getin:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm not afraid of much, but yeah, loving jellyfish. Live or dead, they gross me right out. They don't even sting where I live and are mostly just the little totally transparent types, not the huge disgusting tentacle masses that will kill you. Last time I was at the beach some kids found a fairly big dead one and put it on a stick and were throwing it around and I ended up packing up and moving somewhere else.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

I'm not afraid of much, but yeah, loving jellyfish. Live or dead, they gross me right out. They don't even sting where I live and are mostly just the little totally transparent types, not the huge disgusting tentacle masses that will kill you. Last time I was at the beach some kids found a fairly big dead one and put it on a stick and were throwing it around and I ended up packing up and moving somewhere else.

Whenever my family goes/used to go to the beach we always go down at night at some point and regardless of where we are poking newly beached jellyfish always made it look like lightning was going through them. Like they light up with blue light that goes through their tentacles or whatever. I've never heard of this or read up on it outside of it happening every year for me but it;s still pretty neat

Jellyfish don't generally skeeve me out but in huge numbers they're a sign of a really unhealthy part of the ocean and I've hated seeing them increase the last 10 years at some of the beaches I've gone to

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I'm usually not afraid of bugs but house centipedes and spider crickets (or cave crickets or camel crickets depending on your region) will make me run screaming like a little girl.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I went on a field trip to a local 'beach'- really a slope of and leading to the bay- and there were thousands of baby jellyfish in the water. My friend and I got yelled at for having a jellyfish fight.

Weird fears- I am terribly afraid I am going to get into a gun fight or other violent altercation against loving Bane. Not really, but that I will have to combat a dude where nothing I do has any effect.
Deep clear water fucks with me, and having injuries to my teeth and fingernails fucks with me.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I can't poop in a bathroom when there's a fly in there as well. Flys love poop. If I'm pooping they'll go into that little crack between the seat and the toilet and start eating my poop. Then it'll look up to see and smell that there's a whole poop factory up my butthole. THen it'll fly into my butthole. I'm sure this has never happened in the history of human life but I still can't do it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

HopperUK posted:

Oh believe me, I've talked to doctors. I've been to doctors, a psychiatrist, I've had an MRI done, I've had tests done on my ears twice. Nobody can figure out what the gently caress.

The best we can tell, it started with an ear infection when I was in high school that was probably labyrinthitis (that I think I hosed up the medication schedule for), and the fear just sort of buried itself in my head after that.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Kind of related to the reverse-gravity fear that someone posted, i have an irrational fear of a black hole forming in the sky and just sucking everything up. Also the atmosphere just randomly leaving the planet.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

This maybe isn't so irrational but it's weirdly specific. I'm afraid of falling, not heights. If I'm on relatively solid ground, and/or there's a decent guard rail between be and the edge of the cliff, I'm fine! Last time I went down a goddamn slide (admittedly a big one), and felt the air rushing past? Shaking for a while. :shrug:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Hypodermic needles.

Just the thought of something so tiny piercing flesh and muscle to inject fluid into the latter or hitting a vein to draw blood or to administer intravenous fluid turns me into a huge blubbering baby. I've manned up some over the years, but I still loathe and wince at getting blood drawn or shots administered.

I Love My Axe
Dec 30, 2009

Let's go Blue Pants!
I refuse to go down water slides because I'm afraid some maniac snuck in during the night and glued razor blades to it.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Mirrors. I know, typical goon.

But there's just something really loving creepy about mirrors. I can't look into one for too long or I start to freak out. I'm just convinced something is going to be wrong with my reflection, or something will crawl out of the mirror or something. It's even worse at night.

english muffin
Feb 1, 2012
the likes of you and I
I have a weird phobia of things that are bigger than they should be. Like giant pencils advertising Crayolas, or a great big deckchair, or a giant comedy lighter. It makes my hands feel funny.

Gogo Logo
Nov 11, 2008
Like others, I'm afraid of deep water but it's twofold. If I'm swimming in a lake or the ocean, I have to stop wherever I feel the sand end because if the water is murky I'm terrified that tall algae will drag me under. On the other hand, in crystal clear rock-bottom lakes, I'm afraid I'll look down and see I've been swimming over a drowned corpse. I have no fear of drowning or anything in deep pools, however.

Also sometimes I have this aversion to pulling out the drawers at work because I get visions of the bones in my fingertips crumbling with the effort.

Senator Sprinkles
Aug 16, 2008

You Are A Elf posted:

Hypodermic needles.

Just the thought of something so tiny piercing flesh and muscle to inject fluid into the latter or hitting a vein to draw blood or to administer intravenous fluid turns me into a huge blubbering baby. I've manned up some over the years, but I still loathe and wince at getting blood drawn or shots administered.

Oooo there is something about knowing that when they draw my blood for a blood test or something, the body warmth of my own blood is actually heating up the cold sterile needle and syringe and vial. I don't care about losing or seeing the blood itself; just knowing that MY BODY HEAT is changing the temperature of the glass and steel of the syringe and vial from the inside almost makes me nauseous. Heaven help me if I ever donate blood and have to deal with tubing and filling an entire blood bag with my warm sticky black and red blood.

(Un)fortunately I can't legally donate blood, so that can be my excuse instead of "I'm a huge titty baby." You might say that if they ever lift the one-year deferral on MSM blood donations... I'll be hosed! :hurr:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Whenever I have my dog at my parents' house, if I can't hear or see him I get a sudden fear that he's doing something bad, even though he's years removed from the "piss and chew on everything" phase of dogdom.

Also for years I afraid to put pants on before I put socks on, or at least I refused to do so. Not sure what prompted that one.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

C-Euro posted:

Whenever I have my dog at my parents' house, if I can't hear or see him I get a sudden fear that he's doing something bad, even though he's years removed from the "piss and chew on everything" phase of dogdom.

Oh poo poo you reminded me. I can't stand having my front door open - even with the screen closed, what matters is seeing outside - just because of one incident where my dogs ran outside and were successfuly brought back safe in like 5 minutes. Doesn't matter if there's another door inside between them and the front, or if the screen is locked tight, I worry they'll somehow open it and get out again and it won't go as well this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You Are A Elf posted:

Hypodermic needles.

I'm similar in that I have no problem with blood, but getting blood drawn just makes my skin crawl. It shouldn't bother me the way it does but if I have to get blood drawn for any reason it is all I can think about until it's over, and I have been getting closer and closer to fainting every time although it has never happened.

• Locked thread