Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

quote:

The Jungle Book is a 2016 American fantasy adventure film directed by Jon Favreau, written by Justin Marks, and produced by Walt Disney Pictures. Based on Rudyard Kipling's eponymous collective works, the film is a live-action/CGI reimagining of Walt Disney's 1967 animated film of the same name.

quote:

Cast
Baloo: Bill Murray
King Louie: Christopher Walken
Bagheera: Ben Kingsley
Shere Khan: Idris Elba
Raksha: Lupita Nyong'o
Kaa: Scarlett Johansson
Akela: Giancarlo Esposito
Ikki: Garry Shandling (RIP)
Mowgli: Neel Sethi

The Jungle Book Big Game Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4qgAaxB_pc

The Jungle Book Original Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mkm22yO-bs

Currently, The Jungle Book is rated at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes with 26 reviews.

Is anyone else getting kind of excited to see this? I was originally skeptical, but the early buzz is really positive. I want to go on an adventure in the jungle. I'm going to check out a matinee this Saturday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Everything about it screamed bad news bears when it was first announced, but the final product looks legit. I'm not expecting much more than a (gorgeous) kid-friendly thrill ride, but it's won me over and then some. I saw the trailer in front of Zootopia in IMAX and some weird bout of nostalgia started making me tear up during the Bare Necessities soundtrack sting, so there's that.

And even if it's not that great, giant pretty animals in IMAX for two hours! Variety interviewed Alan Horn of Disney and it published yesterday - he fought Jon Favreau, and won, on the basis that the animals needed to be 20 percent bigger than they'd be in real life, to give the audience an experience closer to what Mowgli, a young boy, would be going through. I think it was a great idea.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Anyone who casts Idris Elba as a villain, especially one that relies on the power of his voice, is A-ok in my book.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
my favorite stories were the one with the "Little People" (hornets) and "Letting In the Jungle"... I doubt either of these will be in this movie, but I can always hope

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have to say that I'm really impressed at the idea of a film that relies so heavily on not only a child actor but a relatively unknown child actor to boot. It has an all-start voice cast but Neel Sethi has a whole lot of weight on his shoulders and it'll be interesting to see if he pulls it off

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

ImpAtom posted:

I have to say that I'm really impressed at the idea of a film that relies so heavily on not only a child actor but a relatively unknown child actor to boot. It has an all-start voice cast but Neel Sethi has a whole lot of weight on his shoulders and it'll be interesting to see if he pulls it off

Seems like it's pretty much Life of Pi with more animals and that worked out pretty well

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
A sequel has already been greenlit so....I guess this is going to be a big hit.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I hope it's not a boring mess like the original animated one. That was always one of my least liked Disney movies growing up.

But so far with the reviews, I think Disney might have finally landed on something that's actually going to be a hell of a lot better than the animated version that preceded it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
This got released in India and made the most any Hollywood movie has ever made in a weekend. $6.3 million through the weekend.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Doronin posted:

I hope it's not a boring mess like the original animated one. That was always one of my least liked Disney movies growing up.

But so far with the reviews, I think Disney might have finally landed on something that's actually going to be a hell of a lot better than the animated version that preceded it.

Speaking of which, did anyone see the Cinderella remake? I got a very "competent, but not very interesting" vibe from the trailers.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

computer parts posted:

Speaking of which, did anyone see the Cinderella remake? I got a very "competent, but not very interesting" vibe from the trailers.

I thought Cinderella on Fleek was pretty good but way too, I dunno. Mannered? The only thing I can compare it to is Crimson Peak.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

computer parts posted:

It's incredibly pretty, but I suppose that's to be expected when you have Branagh directing. Other than that, it's solid. Nothing that will stay with you, but engaging and worth seeing once.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Doronin posted:

I rewatched it the other week. Masterpeice, I have no idea what your talking about! I watched that VHS so much as a child it lost most of it's color.

mania
Sep 9, 2004
Watched this last week. Like most people I was skeptical of the remake and went in not expecting much and came out completely charmed by the movie and I'm not even a fan of the animated one. Neel Sethi is adorable and the cgi was good, apart feeling a bit off a couple of times when it came to the wolves.

It definitely deserves the buzz it's been getting.

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

It's great actually. Also, I came out thinking it was PG13 but apparently it's PG. Some really intense scenes going on in that movie.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I don't usually have a strong reaction to Jon Faverau movies, but drat was this good. it was a bit episodic, but I feel like that comes from the source material more than anything. Once you meet Baloo the movie just picks up steam and never really stops being goddamned delightful.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
It was alright, but was this ending different from the animated one? I honestly don't remember.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The new ending is much better than the old animated one, in the animated version he gets seduced by a girl and leaves his friends behind like they didn't matter to him at all and he's only thinking with his dick. I hated that ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYnbzXPAxNo

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
I'm taking my nephew to see this tomorrow, is the 3D good/worth it or should I just save a few bucks and go for the 2D?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

JonathonSpectre posted:

I'm taking my nephew to see this tomorrow, is the 3D good/worth it or should I just save a few bucks and go for the 2D?

I read that the 3D is very well done, but I'm going 2D because I like vibrant color and 3D gives me a headache anyways.

Knight2m
Jul 26, 2002

Touchdown Steelers

Just got home from seeing it and was very pleased. The voice cast is great I had no idea Gary Shandling did the voice of the porcupine until he was onscreen, the kid is really good and the special effects are amazing.

There are a couple of action scenes that do get kind of intense most notably the scene where Akela is thrown from the cliff and the final scene with Shere Khan so be mindful of taking little ones. On our way out through the lobby I did hear a little girl tell her dad that "the part with the snake was a little scary."

The only complaint I had was King Louie's song seemed really out of place.

Otherwise, a very well made movie, with only a few slow spots, but like someone mentioned earlier, once you are introduced to Baloo it moves along pretty well.

Edit to add that we saw it in 2D and I don't feel like I missed out on anything.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
Saw it last night. Thought it was great until King Louis turns up with an terrible song that just didnt match the rest of the movie and suddenly the pacing goes to poo poo. First 80% of the movie was fantastic: The visuals are seriously impressive. Everything moves with weight, the fur in the rain!, they have personality, they talk but it doesnt look stupid it looks like real talking animals.

Anyway, so it goes from Moleguy learning some bad news to burning down loving miles of jungle and killing Shear Can and The End in what felt like 10 minutes. I felt like there was no time to really show how much the animals were afraid of Moley using fire before they decided no we love him after all.

I assume spoliers are OK as this isnt a new story.

Rating: B, go see it in 3D I loved it

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
My nephew might enjoy this. What do you guys think an appropriate age would be to go see this?

Also does the movie really have songs? I was really hoping it'd be an adaptation of the original Kipling book rather than the movie, but based on the trailer I gather it's harvested the animated film for anything that modern viewers might recognize.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I dunno, it's got a 9+ in Norway which seems pretty sensible. Shere Khan is such a incredibly menacing villain in this movie and it's easy to forget that they are all fantasy CGI creatures!

I watched the animated classic for comparison today and they've changed it pretty heavily for the new one. In the classic Shere Khan runs away and Mowgli follows a girl into the human village. The new version has a completely different ending that is much more of an homage to The Lion King and way more powerful.

I thought the scene with the fire was great, especially Mowglis actions after seing all the animals fear the fire :shobon:

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

hottubrhymemachine posted:

Saw it last night. Thought it was great until King Louis turns up with an terrible song that just didnt match the rest of the movie and suddenly the pacing goes to poo poo. First 80% of the movie was fantastic: The visuals are seriously impressive. Everything moves with weight, the fur in the rain!, they have personality, they talk but it doesnt look stupid it looks like real talking animals.

Anyway, so it goes from Moleguy learning some bad news to burning down loving miles of jungle and killing Shear Can and The End in what felt like 10 minutes. I felt like there was no time to really show how much the animals were afraid of Moley using fire before they decided no we love him after all.

I assume spoliers are OK as this isnt a new story.

Rating: B, go see it in 3D I loved it

is the song Wanna Abe Like You?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Seen it in both 2d and 3d now and you should definitely go with the 3d version if you can. It really adds to the realism by subtly distracting you from the little imperfections in the animal animations, and since the whole thing is composited together in a computer anyway the scene depth is as good as it can get. The sequence where Kaa's eyes turned into the cave, then transitions to the red flower was really wonderfully done in 3d.

A random group of teenagers came to check that I wasn't dead when I was the only one left sitting through the credits :downs:
The list of crew is INSANELY long, they hired just about every effects company in the business to work on this thing.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

is the song Wanna Abe Like You?

ooh eee ooh

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

How can it be bad!?!?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The song was worth it just to hear Christopher Walken trying to sing "gigantopithecus" twice

I guess it detracts a little from the gritty realism of the rest of the movie but I'm glad it's in there.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

How can it be bad!?!?

Its like they originally decided to make it as much a musical as the original animated one but changed their minds and accidentally left that bit in. Also Walken cant sing and it sounded bad not fun or amusing or anything.

If youre the type of person who says things like "you get to shoot a duck from a gun in this game? TAKE MY MONEY!!" then maybe the novelty of Walken singing as a CGI giant ape will be enough for you.

hottubrhymemachine fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 17, 2016

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

It's my favorite song in the original and I didn't even know there were songs in this one so I was pretty jazzed. I guess Walken isn't really known for his melodious singing voice though.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

It's my favorite song in the original and I didn't even know there were songs in this one so I was pretty jazzed. I guess Walken isn't really known for his melodious singing voice though.

I think its literally in there for this reason. People loved it so they did it again but this time forgot to make it entertaining. I wonder if anyone who hasnt seen it yet can guess which other song makes it in? Although its done a bit more organically that just SONG NOW FOR NO REASON.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I thought Walken singing was great just for how drat weird it was. King Louie is a weirdo creep.

Also, Garry Shandling had the best minor character.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

Mordiceius posted:

I thought Walken singing was great just for how drat weird it was. King Louie is a weirdo creep.

Also, Garry Shandling had the best minor character.

A singing Walken ape? TAKE MY MONEY!!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

... Walken has done theater for years. He can sing just fine.

The reason it sounds so odd is that the song is deliberately re-imagined as less fun and more sinister, befitting Louie's different role in the movie.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Also, if you have time, stay for the full version during the credits and Scarlet Johansen's version of Trust in Me after it.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Well I thought is was great. I took my 4 yearold to the 2d show and now he wants to watch it again in 3d.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I liked the film. Strangely, as much as I like Idris Elba in everything he does, something about his voice didn't seem to fit with Shere Khan. I'm not sure what I'd put it down to or how I'd describe it. Every other voice seemed a great fit but Elba's just felt... like not that I'd expect from an evil, scarred tiger.

It's hardly a complaint, just a strange thing to notice.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Haven't seen it yet, but Disney's concepts of Shere Khan are always at least sort of affable. He's less of a crazed fighter, appearing more like an honorable warrior who isn't.

The last 2D Khan voice was Tony Jay, who was the go-to voice for villains who hide their strength/insanity under a debonair persona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Charles Dance should've voiced Shere Khan.

• Locked thread