Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Evening has fallen. The formal and most of the informal affairs of the day have finally played out. Today was the formal investiture and recognition of Tanist Kyu Tarantalis, presenting him to the Council of the Haranbousei and letting them symbolically vote for him. This was all long since arranged, of course; it was simply a show for tradition's sake.

Now, though, the last meal of the day has come and gone. The last item that etiquette said was unavoidable is meeting with the new Kalsian ambassador, Duke Gerald. He's actually so new that only Michi has had a chance to speak with him much before, as they were on the same ship sailing east to Haransei from the eastern coast of Kalsus.

The Duke has made a sincere effort to get Kyu alone and bend his ear, though he hasn't been entirely successful in getting the two of them alone.

Indeed, Duke Gerald is alone, on his end, but several of Kyu's associates are with him, in one of the palace's outer gardens. "So, you see, my dear Tanist, the benefits are simply universal." The slim, silver-haired man has been going on like this for a little while. He's not really interested in debate. Or letting other people get a word in. He just is trying to get his point of view into the young Tanist's head, apparently in the hope that if he can get it all said before Kyu has any alternative viewpoints, Kyu will just roll with it. "A general opening of Haransei's ports to Kalsus would be a massive benefit. And, equally obviously, Daignia's enough further to the north-east that you just can't get the same sort of advantages."

Whether this is going to result in actual debate, blow up into an argument, or whether someone's just going to give Kyu an excuse to gracefully escape from the Duke's rather focused monologue? That isn't so clear yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

"Ehem!"

Mersina, seeing that the ambassador clearly isn't interested in stopping talking anytime soon, takes it upon herself to make him. Keeping one arm behind her back and using the other to gesture while speaking

"Lord Tanist, if I may? Such a decision is not something you should make without multiple advisors. For one, it is nearly impossible not to be biased towards their own country in such a matter. Not to mention, there are multiple dangers of such an opening Duke Gerald surely merely forgot about in his eagerness to improve relations between your two people, such as a possible increase of unwanted people like criminals or worse. I urge you to consider your options carefully on such a matter, and not jump into it headfirst."

Letting that sink in, she continues: "The statement that Daignia cannot offer the same advantages is simply bogus. Our merchant fleet can handle any sea, and with the Order of the Pegasus Knights, even the increased distance will mean no further danger from pirates and such. That is... if you're actually interested in such a matter, Lord Tanist. I have no intent of forcing such a prospect on you."

Going to roll Etiquette to try and point out the holes in the duke's 'argument' as socially acceptable as possible. And maybe make him slip up while we're at it.

Etiquette: 1d6 5

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 12, 2016

Psiwri
Mar 8, 2012

"The Foecast today calls for dark clouds, booming thunder and F.O.E.s everywhere!"
Michi smiled a bit. The knight from Daignia didn't like to just sit there and let the Duke spin his tongue for long.

"Unless either of you have surveys or numbers at your disposal to back up what you claim, then this conversation won't be getting very far will it?" She looked over at Kyu. Unless he had changed drastically since she knew him, the newly appointed Tanist wasn't going to be decisive any time soon, but letting people just prattle on wasn't going to give them a chance to have a meaningful talk either.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

"That is of course true, Milady. Perhaps we should take our attention to other matters?"

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 12, 2016

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Kyu Tarantalis

Kyu smiled and chuckled nervously as they continued their walk. The Duke was certainly throwing Kyu into the deep end where he was concerned. But given how important Kyu's new position was, he couldn't really fault the Duke for that. "I will consider it, Duke Gerald," Kyu said earnestly. He continued, "I still have a lot of reading and instruction before I feel adequately prepared to make any decisions of state. To say nothing of the fact that the Emperor is still the arbiter of such matters. Perhaps you should take your proposal directly to him?"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Tangaroa

Tangaroa is silent. He has dressed up for the occasion - specifically, he's deliberately put on as much traditional regalia as possible, showing off his tattoos, using bone jewelry and in general playing up his appearance and reputation as a savage brute. He looms besides Kyu, fulfilling the open role of bodyguard. When and if papers come out, it'll be his job to tell who is lying about money and why. But right now, he is better off just being large and intimidating. He has even gone so far as to use a ceremonial warclub - purely decorative, as once an Ocean People warrior enters combat, weapons are no longer a factor.

He looks down at the Duke, narrowing his eyes. As far as he knows right now, Kalsus has little to do with the slave trade - and so they are not enemies as yet.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Felica Summers

Leaning against one of the many bonsai trees in the gardens, Felcia cast a lazy gaze over the garden. She had to admit, the Duke impressed her. The poor kid had been Tanis for a matter of hours and he already had some guy blabbing on about something for another. She had to admit, that noble chick, Messi or somethin' like that, had some good arguments. Plus Kyu had a point. She stepped back from the tree, waved to Tanny, and leaned in close to the Tannis.

"Oy, Milord, I betcha 50 gold that the reason he's buggin' you about it is cause The Emperor already shot him down." She whispered to him with a grin.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Kyu Tarantalis

Kyu looked at Felicia with a start, wide eyed and blushing slightly. He leaned in close to her and whispered back, "O-oh! Do you really think so?" He pursed his lips in consternation. He was loathe to seem impolite and disappoint the duke. However, he still felt it was probably for the best to leave any national decisions to the Emperor for now.

Superstring fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Apr 13, 2016

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
The Duke seems a bit taken aback by Mersina's polite rebuff. Perhaps he was expecting the young lady to have been rather less astute in her objections. "Perhaps you're right," Duke Gerald acknowledges to Michi, more than the Marchioness. "But one must always be concerned with the future, after all! Besides, the more voices to share things, the more likely they are to be heard, yes?"

To the rest of what people were saying, whether he didn't hear it or chose to pretend he didn't, didn't seem to merit a response.

He turns to Kyu, who had somewhat pulled away with his bodyguard. "Tell me you will at least speak to the Emperor about it when the chance arises, yes?"

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Kyu Tarantalis

Kyu nodded and smiled softly at the duke. "I'll be sure to make your concerns known to him when I next meet with the Emperor." He continued the walk, glad to have put off the topic for now at least. While Duke Gerald's words had made some amount of sense, he couldn't help but gather it would be more than a little unfair to Daignia. Really, the entire conversation just hammered home to him how under prepared he still felt for his new position. "Has anyone heard how the citizens of Haransei are faring? Particularly with the news of my-ah-appointment?"

Superstring fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 14, 2016

Psiwri
Mar 8, 2012

"The Foecast today calls for dark clouds, booming thunder and F.O.E.s everywhere!"
Michi nodded. "I'd like to know as well, hard to do much when you've been away for seven years and haven't been keeping up."

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

"Well, I've picked up some word on the street." Word in the bars, really. "And whenever anybody heard about you becomin' Tanis, the thing I heard most was 'Who?'" She shrugged, "Nobody has any opinion on you cause they didn't even know you existed until now."

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
The Duke is finally left behind. It was clear by now that he has nothing else he's going to accomplish, so he lets the Tanist and company escape.

Felicia is right, of course; the wider announcement hasn't even managed to be distributed. Heck, the further territories might not even bother to post it. For them, their local lord was the actual ruler in all but name, and the Emperor, any Emperor, was just a thing that existed.

The easiest entrance from the gardens to... just about anywhere else... was through the Hall of Writing and Numbers, where accountants kept the records of Haransei. Daily they came in, took to cubicles defined and protected by thin, temporary screens that kept their desks out of sight of each other and the constant stream of paperwork that flowed through.

A kunai rips through a screen nearby, though it fails to hit any of the suddenly alerted group. "They'll never have time to have an opinion." It seems Felicia's voice has carried; a sharp looking man steps around a turn in the lines, a selection of gas canisters of various types on his belt and another kunai in his hand. "My employer sends regards. Hm, drat, I had hoped to kill at least one of you unprepared. Ah, c'mon, boys." Another, less impressive-looking person steps out, and shadows on the walls behind other screens suggest that others are out there, as well.

Initiative roll
Combat Map

Map Key: the brown area is the combat zone. The green zone is your starting area; feel free to move your tokens as desired to represent how you jumped when this attack started and get a good starting formation. Blue spaces are Difficult Terrain that sticks around: desks and files to clamber over. The Red spaces, however, are screens! They block line of sight and count as difficult terrain, but if any attack targets one, it is removed, or someone moves through it, they can elect to remove it or not (knocking it flat vs moving it properly).

Before the fight properly starts, I'll give people a chance to make sure things are working properly (it's possible my roll20 setup is bad or just doesn't work for some reason) and let you arrange things. Let me know if I can do anything to make this work better, too! Note that everyone can move and adjust HP for enemy tokens as well as players, the better to just let you do forced movement and the like.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
"Got something special for ya." The chief assassin looped a chain through the kunai in his hand, then tossed it at Tangaroa. "Even big guys can be thrown off balance."

As he's Intervening Cover for Kyu, Assassin uses an attack on Tangaroa! Roll = 5, Damage + Effect. Tangaroa takes 2 damage and is slid 3 spaces. He is Slowed on his next turn.

As it hits, the assassin yanks the chain, pulling Tangaroa to the side. Almost as soon as he stumbled, the assassin was there with a different tool, a more elaborately decorated gas grenade that he threw at the Tanist, now suddenly exposed.

The Assassin spends an action point to take another attack action. He uses another attack on Kyu. Roll = 4, Damage + Effect. Kyu takes four damage and will need to make a saving throw. Success means he is Dazed, but on a failure he is Blinded.

Having done so, the assassin ducks into one of the cubicles, taking cover from reprisal, even as one of his henchmen jumps out, throwing caltrops around Kyu's feet.

Ninja A attacks Kyu! Roll = 3, chooses Effect. Kyu takes 3 damage if he moves before the end of his next turn.

Behind them, another man leaps out, attempting to throw a kunai at Kyu.

Ninja B attacks Kyu! Roll = 1. Miss

However, he seemingly misjudged his hasty attack as he burst from cover, because it went nowhere near Kyu.

Turn Order currently:
Kyu
Thugs
Mersina
Tangaroa/Felicia
Michi
Assassin
Ninja

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Kyu Tarantalis

Save Roll = 4. Kyu is only Dazed.

Kyu is in shock as he looks down to see blots of bright red blood welling up on his white robes. "Please, please stop!" he pleads to his assailants. Despite having been wounded, he throws a hand out towards the Thug before him and attempts to channel a calming miracle.

Soporific Decree on Thug A. Roll = 1. Kyu takes 1 Strike and 1 Miss Token.

Unfortunately, his focus is so thrown off that his miracle fizzles at the end of his hand. Instinctively, he turns his energy inwards to try and heal some of his wounds.

Spend an Action Point to Rally. Gain 4 HP and regain Soporific Decree.

Turn Order currently:
Thugs
Mersina
Tangaroa/Felicia
Michi
Assassin
Ninja
Kyu

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Kyu's plea fell on seemingly deaf ears. The last two of the foemen charged in, the first cutting an angle and stabbing at Kyu with a short blade as he came by.

Thug A attacks Kyu. Roll = 3, chooses Damage. Kyu takes two damage.

The last came from the back, a pincer attack that would have been more effective if Kyu hadn't had so many people around. That seemed to be a surprise for these people.

Thug B attacks Mersina. Roll = 1.

Seemingly confused by the fact that he didn't have a clean shot at Kyu's exposed back, the last man attacked Mersina instead, but a split-second judgment call jumping in a direction he hadn't committed to meant his attack was hasty and easily avoided.

Of course, that was all the chance the attackers had before the attacked, none of them exactly a stranger to violence, really reacted.

Turn Order currently:
Mersina
Tangaroa/Felicia
Michi
Assassin
Ninja
Kyu
Thugs

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Mersina draws her spear off her back, and parries the clumsy attack in the same motion. Staring down the assailant, she taunts him.

"Hmph. Amateur. Let me show you how it's done!

She leaps back to get outside of his range,throwing two Elwinds at two different targets midflight, knocking both Kyu's and her own assailant around.

"Axe Knight, do me a favor and help me cover the Lord Tanist's back from this scum."

Falling back in Kyu's direction, Mersina inadvertently ends up back to back with him. Oh, well, that's kinda awkward. Giving him a quick glance before returning her gaze upon the opponent, she speak to him.

"Lord Tanist, worry not. I got you covered on this side. This scum will not get past me and your Axe Knight." she reassures him.

Using Quick Shift as my Role action to get away from the Goon, then moving to my new position.

Bombing Run: 1d6 5 Using Elwind (Sonic Bomb) to blow the two Goons in melee away from Kyu. I marked the bomb locations with green squares, and applied damage as well as forced movement to the goons already.[/i]

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 21, 2016

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Felcia

"Get back you little creep." Felcia growled, swinging her axe at the nearest thug. He managed to duck out of the way, but but she kept up the pressure.

"Hey, question!" She shouted to the head assassin, "Were you just waiting for the prime one-liner opportunity, or was that just improvising?"

I switch to Python Stance.
I attack Thug B Result: 1 Miss and a Strike
I then Mark Thug B

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Tangaroa

"Big? You think this is big?" Tangaroa catches the kunai in his forearm, and gets pulled forward, stumbling. He loses his grip on the club as he does, tossing it aside like the useless lump of wood it is. He staggers forward, pulled by the chain, but then bulls through it. As he does, a large pearl he'd had hanging around his neck - clearly jewelry - begins to glow. The Ocean warrior lets out a mighty roar, smashing forward and knocked the screen flat.

What shoves one of the thugs back as he keeps going, however, is not a man. The glowing pearl's light falls over Tangaroa, and what emerges is a mighty Sea Lion, a massive beast that appears mostly in the tall tales of sailors, said to be able to take on a whale and win. It roars, lashing out with a quick swipe to the thug it shoved past.

"This is big!"

Move: Diagonally up and left one, which takes all my move but I'm knocking that fucker over.
Role: Quick Shift, shift one square diagonally up and right.
Attack: Mammoth's Transformation. Rolled a 2, which is a miss, but thanks to Damage Boost I deal 1 damage anyway on a 2. Gain 1 Miss Point.

I think I did that right?

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 19, 2016

Psiwri
Mar 8, 2012

Michi

"drat, guess someone wants Kyu to stay unknown." Michi surveyed the building for any veins that were worth anything. (5-Soporific Decree) That one should be useful.

She wasn't sure what Tangaroa was talking about until she has to squeeze up against the screen beside her to get out of his way as he turned into some sort of magnificent beast. There wasn't time to marvel, however, as she focused her attention at the assailant near the vein she'd noticed. (Ninja B)

A liquid blue substance seemingly sprayed out from a tear in reality at the man. (4 - 3 damage and effect Sleep) It hits into him as the liquid seeps into he feels a drowsy haze take over, but snaps out of it! (4 - save, Z rolled). Michi clicked her tongue.

Turn Order currently:
Assassin
Ninja
Kyu
Thugs
Mersina
Tangaroa/Felicia
Michi

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
"Finding the right moment is my stock in trade, my dear," the assassin shouts back at Felicia. "Now, if you don't mind, I have to thin your numbers. There weren't supposed to be this many of you." Another canister comes up. "I think this will work on even you, big guy." That is aimed at Tangaroa's beastly form. He seems like he was more than slightly unnerved by it, but he throw the mess at the transformed warrior.

Assassin attacks Tangaroa. Roll = 3, chooses Effect. Tangaroa is Immobilized (save ends). Also, if you succeed at a saving throw, you'll have to re-roll it. Going to remind you, though, that everyone has a basic ranged attack available, just in case that slipped your mind.

The grenade's contents splash, enough of something sticky and tough to keep even him from moving quickly. It looks like there was some other nastiness contained in it, but nothing his thick fur didn't completely brush aside.

In a probably pre-planned maneuver, the remaining man near Tangaroa nimbly jukes away, aiming at Kyu as he does so.

Ninja A shifts 3 spaces with a move action and attacks Kyu. Roll = 2.

However, the execution is not as the equal of the planning. The man just isn't able to keep his wits enough to land anything near Kyu. The kunai buries itself uselessly in the floor.

On the party's far side, the other ninja throws a hasty kunai at Mersina before ducking into another of the cubicles, not even pausing to see whether it hit.

Ninja B attacks Mersina! Roll = 3, chooses Damage. Mersina takes 2 damage.

His aim is more true.

Turn Order currently:
Kyu
Thug
Mersina
Felicia
Tangaroa
Michi
Assassin
Ninja

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Kyu Tarantalis

Kyu waves his his hand towards the closest assailant. A cloud of bright popping sparks issues forth and overtakes the hired killer's head, overwhelming his senses and knocking him out.

The Excellent Prismatic Spray on Thug B. No roll. Thug B takes 2 damage and is taken out.

He moves up to the Ocean Warrior, interposing the great transformed man between him and his assailants. He says to his retainers, "Ah! Please stop them, but try not to hurt them too much..."

Move 2 squares up.

Tactics on Felicia. Take a move action.

Turn Order currently:
Thug
Mersina
Tangaroa/Felicia
Michi
Assassin
Ninja
Kyu

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Felcia

'"Hot drat!" She said to Tangora as she dashed in front of the Tanis., "Nobody told me you could become some badass monster."

Use my granted Move action. :v:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Mersina dashed forward, intent to flush the assassin out of his hiding hole, but just as she's about to throw an Arcfire into his direction, the pain from the wound flares up!

She lurches over, losing control of the spell! She barely manages to get out of dodge before the spell goes off, incinerating where she just stood.

"Guh... this hurts..."

Bombing Run: 1d6 1 Goddamnit :( I was going to set the entire corner where the assassin stood on fire. I guess I'm just going to warm Tangaroa's butt instead.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Tangaroa

The canister bursts on Tangaroa. The huge beast hunkers down as the goo settles over it, and then it roars. The air seems to solidify for a moment around it, the light moving as if through water.

"If I cannot come to you..."

The air around the Assassin becomes water - not long enough to drown, but it is a sudden and surging wave, dragging the assassin along towards Tangaroa, dragging him up to stand beside the huge beast.

"...you will come to me."

The huge beast roars, then, and swings a massive paw down at the assassin. The wave delivers the man right where he needs to be, and the paw smashes the man like a mallet striking a ball. He hurls into one of the screens, tumbling into a mess as it falls on top of him. The beast roars, but internally, Tangaroa is vigilant, keeping watch over the battlefield and making sure there are no hidden dangers.

Action Point to react to his attack with one of my own: rolled a 3 on Primaul Compulsion. I take Effect, so he takes 1 damage (from Damage Boost) and I slide him 2.
Then I make my actual attack: Pushy. I roll a 6, so he takes 6 damage (2 doubled+2 for Damage Boost), and I push him into the screen, where he stops and falls prone...and presumably knocks over the screen he just hit.
Finally, role action: Assess. I roll a 6, so my 6 questions: For the assassin, how would you summarize their powers? Is the assassin carrying anything strange or unique? Who is really in charge? Are there hidden enemies? What can I use against the enemies? Are there hidden doors or traps?

Does save end: 3. No.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 27, 2016

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
  • The assassin's powers are basically what you've seen: he builds his tactics off of splashing around noxious substances that debilitate his foes in some fashion, probably more fashions than you've seen, in fact, then has allies finish the job. It doesn't look like he has anything more lethal than he's already shown, though...
  • The one noticeable thing he's carrying, beyond his chemicals, is a coat that doesn't seem to suit him. It's slightly ill-fitting and seems to be chosen more for its ability to be shucked easily than anything. It's not even a good choice to be able to wiggle out of if someone grabs it to hold him.
  • It's absolutely the lead assassin in charge. He doesn't seem a mastermind, but there's no secrets here about one of his underlings being the man behind the curtain.
  • There are no hidden enemies. This was a single ambush.
  • Why, perhaps a clever warrior could kick some of these screens around. That might cause various problems to whoever is struck by one.
  • There are no hidden doors or traps.

Turn Order currently:
Michi
Assassin
Ninja
Kyu
Mersina
Felicia
Tangaroa

...But because I'm a big softy, Felicia can still take her skipped turn if that's not going to take long.

Psiwri
Mar 8, 2012

"Nice fire, I'll take it." Michi saw opportunity from the flame Mersina created. She opened up a vein near it, sending the flames into Ninja A (The Excellent Prismatic Spray, always hits), 2 Damage. The flame then arcs into the Assassin as well. (Automatic 5 on Multitarget Boost due to Prismatic Spray's special, 2 damage.)

Psiwri fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 27, 2016

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Felcia

Felcia, wanting to stick closer to Kyu, kicked one of the many rocks laying around the garden at the assassin, but he managed to avoid it, so she ran up to him, axe at the ready.

Ranged attack: 2, Miss. :negative:
I move up to him and Mark him.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
"You lot are a terrible pain." The assassin stands up, slowly, still wobbly on his feet.

As Felicia grew looms over him, though, he pulls out the same tool he'd used to slide Tangaroa around earlier, and as she charges close, where it could easily catch her armor and... there was a confused moment.

Assassin's move action is "stand from prone", Assassin targets Felicia with a melee-distance ranged attack. Assassin takes 2 damage and rolls... 6. Double damage + Effect. Felicia takes 6 damage, minus 1 for Defense Boost, for 5 total. Unless you use your "You call that a punch?" power.

The Assassin, as a now-Bloodied elite, goes twice! Assassin targets Felicia with another ranged attack. Roll = 5. Damage + Effect. 3 damage, minus 1 for Defense Boost, for 2 total, plus Immobilize (save ends).

Bookkeeping note: I'm just going to leave things as they stand assuming Felicia doesn't use "You call that a punch?". If she does, the whole first hit was negated, so if you choose to do that, slide Felicia back right two squares, give her back 5 HP, and mark 2 damage off of the Assassin because none of that happened that way; she'd not be damaged/moved, and so she deals Opportunity damage. (PbP has some interesting downsides for this!)

As that happens, the remaining supporting fighters throw their weapons at Mersina, ducking in and out of the protective screens to confuse any counter-attacks.

Ninja A attacks Mersina at range! Rolls 3. Chooses damage, Mersina suffers 2 damage.
Ninja B attacks Mersina at range! Rolls 5. Damage + Effect. The effect is also 2 damage, so she takes four total damage and is reduced to 0 HP! Mersina is Incapacitated!

Turn Order currently:
Kyu
Mersina (Incapacitated)
Felicia
Tangaroa
Michi
Assassin
Ninja

ZeeToo fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 27, 2016

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Kyu Tarantalis

"Mersina!" Kyu's eyes widen in horror as she goes down. "Help me Joyeuse," he prays. A warm golden aura surrounds him, extending to Mersina. "Get up Mersina! Please!"

Kyu uses Heal on Mersina and heals 5 hp. Pick one of the following:

-If the target is Prone, they may stand up.
-Enemies have Disadvantage to attack the target until the end of the target’s next turn.
-The target may make a Saving Throw against one Status that allows one or attempt to escape a Grab.

He then waves his hand at the assailant at the far end of the hall. Another shower of sparks shoots forth to engulf the man's head.

Kyu uses The Excellent Prismatic Spray on Ninja B. No roll. Ninja B takes 2 damage and is taken out.

Turn Order currently:
Mersina
Felicia
Tangaroa
Michi
Assassin
Ninja
Kyu

Superstring fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 28, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

"Ughh.... That hurts. Many thanks, Lord Tanist. I may have caught one too many Kunai for you... haha... *cough* oww..."

Still reeling from the pain, she grasps for her Thoron tome.

"It's about time we get this nonsense over with... THORON!"

Two bolts of lightning strike both the assassin and his last remaining assistant... the later of which no longer moves.

"If you don't mind... I'm... just going to stay a bit further back..."

Using Kyu's Heal to stand up.

Bombing Run: 1d6 4 Using Thoron.

quote:

Thoron (Concussive Bomb): Encounter Ammo
Creatures starting their turn in the zone or entering it must make a Saving Throw. If they fail, they are Dazed (save ends).

Turn Order currently:
Mersina
Felicia
Tangaroa
Michi
Assassin
Ninja
Kyu

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Felcia

"Arggg you stupid little..." Tangled up in the wreckage of a desk, she chucks a particularly large chunk of wood at the Assassin, hitting him in the chest

I switch to Stone Wall Style, pick East as the direction that I gain Resist 1 on ranged attacks
I do a ranged attack on the Assassin. Result, 3, I do 1 damage because I'm weakened
Try to remove imoblization, roll 2, save fails.

Psiwri
Mar 8, 2012

Michi moves to where she can see the assassin that remained. "Keeping you around might be handy..." The floor around the man began to shift, piece of the mat breaking apart into sharp pieces, as if trying to eat his feat. (Liscato's Bountiful Lubrication; 2, miss token) However this did not last long and they soon went back to the way they were. "Of all the times to lose connection."

Psiwri fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 3, 2016

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Tangaroa

Unfortunately, in hurling away the assassin, Tangaroa has put him out of reach. The huge beast roars, and the crashing waves materialize out of the air again, hammering down on the enemy hard.

Basic Ranged. Attack roll: 5. Deals 2 damage, plus an extra 1, so 3 total.
Failed to save on Immobilize again.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
"Tch." The assassin's calm is all but gone by this point. "drat it, this was supposed to be an easy mark. Why the heck are you not ALL DYING?"

Michi is weakened due to her miss! Assassin rolls his saving throw for Thoron: 6! Success! He is not dazed.

Shaking off the thundering spell Mersina threw at him, the assassin throws his chain at Felicia, attempting to knock her down for good.

Assassin rolls to attack Felicia at range: 4! Damage + Effect... So 3 damage... -1 for being 3+ damage on a defender... -1 for being ranged... 1 damage total. Wow, that does less than I thought it would.

The tough axe warrior might be little hurt by such an attack but it does at least knock her further away. With almost impossible quickness, he's chasing after her, getting out of range of Mersina's attack, and perhaps away from the threat others provide. He pulls back his weapon and lashes it out at her again. If he just takes her down, there might be a good opportunity to escape...

Assassin takes his second turn as a bloodied elite, and attacks Felicia again. 3! Chooses Damage. 1 damage again.

Turn Order currently:
Kyu
Mersina
Felicia
Tangaroa
Michi
Assassin

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Kyu Tarantalis

Kyu's frowns. "I don't know who has a grievance with me. But this ends now!" He rears back with a hand and throws a swirling mass of sparks at the Assassin. As with the Thug and Ninja, the Assassin drops unconscious, his senses overwhelmed.

Kyu uses The Excellent Prismatic Spray on Assassin. No roll. Assassin takes 2 damage and is taken out.

Sweating and short of breath, Kyu takes a moment to compose himself. Then, turns to his comrades. "Is anyone hurt? P-please, let me help." He holds up his hands, aglow with healing miracle energies, ready to administer aid. "And, ah, make sure they're... okay... as well." He nods over to their fallen assailants. "Hopefully they'll be willing to talk."

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Mersina does a small bow before Kyu.

"Please do, Lord Tanist. ... And if I may advice? Do check them for hidden weapons first... They may have hidden tools intended to prevent capture on them."

Psiwri
Mar 8, 2012

Michi

Even when there were assassins going after him, Kyu was still his soft-hearted self. Not necessarily a good thing anymore sadly. "Unless you have some plan to win them over to our side, leaving any of these attackers alive might not be such a great idea, Kyu." She walked over to one of the assailants in the back and kicked him over so he was on his back and started checking the body for weapons.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Shouts and rushing feet are heard right as the assassin is taken down by the Tanist himself. Soldiers pour into the area, taking charge of it... and incidentally bustling all over just to be clear that, yes, they're Doing Something now.

"My lord," the highest ranking one greets Kyu as they recognize the group still standing and what must have happened. "Are you injured? These men didn't harm you, did they?" He takes in the other important people in the room, but he sticks to talking to Kyu. "A guard at the South Gate was found dead, and we've been scouring the area."

It's become clear from the chatter of the other guards that the assailants haven't been wiped out, so they have prisoners, too. "We will detain these men, and find out what we can from them." He gestures at the fallen foes. Of course, anyone with any experience with how things work at court knows that their 'findings' are probably going to take a while and whatever they release as their conclusions will owe more to political bickering behind the scenes than to unvarnished truth.

Now might be the best time for everyone to at least take their own stock and find what they can.

Mersina and Felicia are Winded after that fight. The party has 5 Strikes, though, and thus owes a Minor Concession. I deliberately threw you all in this fight without establishing an explicit goal, because of its ambush nature, straightforward way of playing out and comparative ease, but now we need to find at least a Concession. I'd suggest either the assassin manages to poison himself to death (you won, but little information is possible from him) or else he's almost certain to escape once the PCs' backs are turned (potential recurring antagonist).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Tangaroa

Tangaroa slowly shrinks back inot his only humanly large form, extricating himself at last from the goo. He looks down at the asassins, then at the soldiers, and goes to rummage through the assassin's clothes for paperwork. He doesn't exactly trust the soldiers, after all. Who knows who they work for? But a letter or a name or anything that he can follow, that will be different.

If anyone asks, he can claim it's Ocean People trophy-taking.

"Killing them immediately is equally foolish. These were not planners. They are tools. We need to know whose hand directed them."

I suggest letting them live because I want to play hackey sack with an assassin again.

• Locked thread