Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Inside the assassin's coat, the one Tangaroa had already noticed was strangely easy to get free of and leave behind, he finds a wad of Kalsian money--the odd paper money that they use--and a note that details the time and place they're at, with instructions to make sure that at least one of his team is struck down in the assassination (reading between the lines, that even includes killing them himself, if need be), and the money is left on his person. It's not signed or any thing, nor does it have any names.

But, it seems, someone knew that this was a good place to meet the Tanist, and wanted to make sure that the money was found alongside his body.

This is a parcel of Assassination Money [2]. It's a fairly large amount of funds to throw around, but it can only be spent somewhere that accepts money from Kalsus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Tangaroa

Tangaroa snorts. This is the most pathetically obvious attempt at framing he can think of - the money's barely legal tender around here...but why would the assassin be willing to kill himself for this job? That suggests more than financial motive...unless the man's family is involved in the scheme and will be benefited on his death, or are threatened such that he'd rather die than fail...

But still, the money suggests someone with a vested interest in seeing the Kalsians blamed. Who benefits from that and can afford to use this amount of money to make it happen? ...and of those people, who knew they'd be here at this time?

ZeeToo, can you roll a d6 for me for my Forensic Accounting skill? I'm at work right now.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Mors Rattus posted:

ZeeToo, can you roll a d6 for me for my Forensic Accounting skill? I'm at work right now.

3! Success with a cost.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Mersina watches Tangaroa with curiosity.

"Hah. You've fooled more than just the enemy with your act. I see you got a sharp mind beneath all these muscles. Good find!"

Recurring antagonists, ahoi!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hm. Can the cost be that the money is marked or fraudulent or otherwise unspendable by us? Would folks be okay with that as the cost to learn who did this poo poo?

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Kyu Tarantalis

"V-very good, captain," Kyu answers the soldier in charge as they take the assassin and his cohorts away. Before the guards are out of earshot, he quickly adds, "Ah-please inform the family of the slain guard of my deepest condolences." The budding Tanist falls to silence as he finishes healing everyone's wounds. Thoughts twisted in his head as it was only now hitting him that an attempt was made on his life. He is lost in thought and only perks up as Tangaroa seems to be on the verge of answers.

Mors Rattus posted:

Hm. Can the cost be that the money is marked or fraudulent or otherwise unspendable by us? Would folks be okay with that as the cost to learn who did this poo poo?

Fine by me.

I also vote for recurring antagonist.

Psiwri
Mar 8, 2012

"The Foecast today calls for dark clouds, booming thunder and F.O.E.s everywhere!"
Michi frowned at Tangaroa, she didn't mean to just immediately gut them or anything. The matter would slide though, as guards arrived fashionably late and entirely eager to take the assailants in themselves. Hopefully she'd be able to get some answers out of her father before any public statements went around.

Her attention was bought by Mersina's excitement and she looked over at what Tangaroa had scrounged up. Kalsian paper... she didn't need long to realize this was bad news for her. She spoke quietly, "We're going to keep a hold on those, right?"

I am okay with the things mentioned above.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Let's adjust that cost a bit, to more closely mimic the book's disadvantages: it's not that it's marked, it's just... kind of noticeably bloody. So, instead of it just being a chunk of Kalsian money, you can only spend it with those who don't mind the blood, too.

The most obvious people who could have known that you were coming here and might have had a vested interest in knocking off the Tanist are... well, first of all... Duke Gerald. He did make his escape rather conveniently early, after all. The next most obvious candidate might be the Shinoharas. They're on the far side of Haransei from Kalsus, so opening of ports to Kalsus doesn't stand to benefit them all that much. They do have a representative in court now, as well. A more farsighted possibility would be the House of Valrenas, who might be playing a gamble to try to get rid of their rivals--both internally for the liaison position, and externally for keeping Kalsus away from Haransei. The difficulty there, however, would be that while they might still be able to scrape together the resources, they would have had a very hard time with the information and planning side. Unless they had local help, though.

The soldiers who had come in to clean up begin bustling off with their prisoners, but the assassin who had led the whole thing has finally stirred himself. He's not going to be an immediate challenge, but he's alert again and his eyes flick over the people who took him down. "Well, drat." His cool has returned. "I think I was underpaid. I'm sure I'll see you all again later." The clear menace is masked somewhat by his conversational tone. "I'm Dominic, by the way. Have fun trying to figure out who hired me. I really have no idea. He was using magic to disguise his identity, but he paid sixty per cent in advance." Around that point, the soldiers get a gag on him, which he accepts with general politeness.

Well, perhaps that's another angle to take: whoever it was either has magical abilities or employs someone who does.

Of more immediate concern, though, is the next morning. It's late now, and come the morning, the news will doubtless be all over. How the story will be spun by the gossip-mongers, though? That's yet to be decided. A few choice words now could spin the story of what happened in a number of directions.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Tangaroa

Tangaroa grunts. He looks at Dominic, then snorts.

"And sixty percent was enough for you to follow these instructions? You would have killed yourself over this?"

He shakes his head. Intimidating the man now is pointless - they both know he won't be killed over this.

"No, I don't believe that. You're not that stupid. We will meet again, I am sure, landwalker." Someone who could set this up will easily get the man out of his prison. Worry about that later. The big man turns to the others. He keeps his voice low as he speaks, to hide his intellect from the soldiers and rumormongers.

"This was meant to look like Kalsus paid for it. Look at this money - the note he had says he was to ensure the money was found. A framing job. Not subtle, either." He wrinkles his nose in some disgust. "I can think of three possible candidates. The Duke had the timing to arrange this and left quickly...but I doubt he would frame his own nation, except perhaps to use the sheer incompetence of the framing as a sort of reverse psychology...and I don't believe he thinks that highly of you, Lord Tanist."

Few would, with such an untested youth.

"The Shinoharas of Haransei also had the capability to put together these resources, the ruthlessness to do it, and they are located on the opposite end of Haransei - they would lose business. House Valrenas would also benefit - getting us to blame the Shinoharas or keep Kalsus out would benefit them. However, while they could get the resource with some effort, this would be difficult to plan without inside knowledge - it would mean a local spy working with them. They are also ruthless enough to ant to use these methods."

He picks up the impressively primitive-looking war club from the ground where he tossed it.

"Our assassin, at least, has told us more about who hired him. The disguise suggests that it is someone who would be recognizable, or who was afraid they were. Magic...I don't know enough about landwalker magic to tell you a damned thing about it, but given the money, it gives us a way to doubly focus any investigation."

He tosses the money in one hand, baring his teeth.

"Pity about the blood, though. No good way to get it out of paper."

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Felcia

"Hey. Money is money, hell Gold has more blood on it then this typically." Felcia laughed.

She leaned back against the wreckage of a desk, groaning a bit "Well that was a pain in the rear end. Can somebody get me a drink here?"

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Mersina, ignoring Felicia, walks back to Kyu.

"Lord Tanist, I'm not even sure how your shapeshifting friend knows about House Valrenas of Daignia, but he does have a point. They may be involved. If you don't mind, I would like to take some time to investigate this lead tomorrow. Is that alright?"

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Kyu Tarantalis

Kyu worried his lip at Mersina's request but then relented. Nodding, he said, "Alright. Just... don't do anything that could get you in trouble."

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
The night passes, whether in a flurry of activity or a stolen nap. By breakfast, though, word has spread in a low-key way, though to begin with people take a little time to figure out how they will react. Violence here, actually in the palace itself, is a hard thing to fathom, even for the more military-minded of the Haranbousei. Much less so for the more politically-minded sorts.

As far as those involved, various things happen. Kyu gets delivered an 'anonymous' letter in what he can easily recognize as the Emperor's own handwriting. Its bold curves are unmistakable. All it says, however, is "A Tanist must prove himself strong. Deliver your attacker."

For Mersina, however, things are a lot more awkward. She does some "investigation" that largely consists of people being baffled and/or confused about her seemingly petty attempts to find a connection between the politics of her home and a more local attack. Also, just from the inherent nature of the questioning, word of the attack has spread beyond the castle. She's back before too much longer, without too much more to show for it beyond losing a certain level of face as this foreign liaison seems to air her domestic laundry out here.

Discussed with Yami previously: tagging Mersina's complication of Foreign Lord to generate an Action Point. Mersina gets an Action point!

For everyone, though, word comes down from the Emperor that the next day at noon, court will be held and the attack will be "examined".

A time limit. Now, those involved have a fairly brief window to dig up at least something. They still have the initiative, however; others are still reacting to this. Beyond openly approaching or sneaking into the area of the most obvious remaining candidates for the mastermind, investigating the area around the attack or questioning Dominic further. Of course, those are just the most obvious options. Other clever approaches could be used...

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Well, that wasn't helpful at all. Also, kind of embarrassing. But, whatever. Better safe than sorry, right? If this pacifistic idiot gets himself killed on my watch and replaced by a puppet by anti-daignia faction, the queen would probably have my head...

Sigh.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Kyu Tarantalis

Kyu, still being new to the capital, had no idea who he could talk to for advice in regards to the intrigue and politics of the court. His retainers were as in the dark as he was, of course. If they knew something they'd have surely told him and, failing that, there was a chance that whoever he talked to could be behind the current plot.

There was really only one thing Kyu could think to do. The one thing he could always turn to in a time of need: the church. Kyu would seek advice from the head clergyman of the Church of Joyusse in the capital.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Tangaroa

Tangaroa, having done what he can for now, goes back to playing the quiet, rather dim bodyguard. He sticks with Kyu throughout his trip to the church, being unsettlingly large and menacing. While he's figured out the money trail, he is not exactly a subtle man, after all, and would draw attention.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Felcia

With Tangaora helping Kyu, Felcia decided that it was time for her own plan.

Namely, seeing this assassin.

It didn't take long to reach him in his cell. Noting that he was still bound and gagged, she leaned against the bars and gave him a conversational wave.

"Hello Dominic." She said with a wave. "Feel like chatting over a drink?" She held up a bottle of wine, ignoring the glare the cell's guard gave her.

Psiwri
Mar 8, 2012

"The Foecast today calls for dark clouds, booming thunder and F.O.E.s everywhere!"
Michi

Deciding what to do wasn't a difficult task, she was home for the first time in years, and things had already heated up. Visiting her family was the only way to go, both for catching up and mulling over what had happened.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Kyu/Tangaroa

The religious center of the capital is, naturally, a busy place. A constant stream of pilgrims keep its doors open during practically the entire time the sun is up. Naturally, though, for such an august personage (and such an intimidating bodyguard), someone is going to make time to see what you need.

The head clergyman in residence, Father Huan, is eager enough to meet with the Tanist, and he meets with you in a quiet room off of the library, one nominally for reading, but large enough to suit this group. He's an old man, but there's an air about him that suggests he's been an 'old man' since he was in his 20's, and he has the flowing white beard to go with it.

"My child," he begins, once everyone's situated. "It's good to meet you. What can I do for you?" It's clear that he's half-expecting a confessional moment, where Kyu is going to come clean about some childhood prank or other harmless transgression that's just weighed on him.

Felcia

Bound as he is, Dominic can't very well respond to the invitation verbally or demonstratively. Instead, from the back of his cell where he's waiting out the time, he gives a non-committal shrug. He doesn't seem too enthusiastic about the possibility, but it's hard to be completely certain of that. It's certainly not unfriendly or unhelpful, though. Perhaps it would be best to finagle at least his mouth free if you want to be able to talk to him.

It's entirely within her rights to be able to talk to him, it's just sort of... not usually done.

Michi

It's the first time that Michi has returned home since getting off the boat from Kalsus. She hasn't even had a chance to exchange words with her father, who's on the Haranbousei Council.

The estates are much like they always have been; traditions in Haransei are dug in enough that that's not surprising in the slightest. Michi is shown in by one of the household staff, and informed, in a tone that suggested it was as much an order as a suggestion, that she will be meeting with her mother for some morning tea. The tea is served and the servant leaves before Michi's mother enters.

Her mother takes up her tea and sits back, enjoying it slowly, and rather pointedly not beginning the conversation. She doesn't seem mad; if anything, this could, perhaps, be a test. How will Michi begin this, and what is she going for with this meeting? Or is it just a homecoming?

Superstring, what spelling did you want for Joyeuse/Joyusse? You used one in the ooc topic, one here.
Dr Pepper, is it Felicia/Felcia? Same basic thing.
Mersina... feel free to let me know if you're tagging along with someone else, I guess, or what. :v:

Oh, and a heads-up to you all: we're deep into the busy season at work, now. I'm still going to be around and active when I can be, but knowing this was coming was why I made a three-day turn-around for combat turns: some times, I might not be able to be active for two or three days, just because I'm working half again as much for the next three months. Please understand! I will be active on the weekends for sure; it's just that during the wee there may be a day or two at a stretch when I can't get away.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Mersina, seeing her investigation fruitless, goes to check up on her Pegasus, Serena. Poor girl is probably lonely in the stables, after all.

Sorry, had an internet outage. Mersina is just gonna take care of her Pegasus (inadvertently waiting for the next explosion to happen)

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Kyu Tarantalis

Kyu nods respectfully to Father Huan. Unsure how to broach such a situation, he decides to get straight to the point. Honesty is the best policy, right? "Father Huan, as you may or may not have heard, there was an-ah-attempt on my life last night. Perhaps you could help enlighten me on the lay of the capital. Politically speaking, that is. Who could possibly want to assassinate me? And, well, I don't know who else I could turn to, Father."

Sorry, it should be Joyeuse.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Felicia

She entered the cell, at her instruction the door was then locked behind her. She sat down in front of Dominic, before pulling out two wooden cups. She sat one in front of him, and then moved to untie him. Once his arms were free, she poured the wine into the two cups.

"You know," She began with a grin, "This is the first time I ever willingly walked into a cell."

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Felicia

Dominic is definitely feeling better to be a little more free, and stretches his arms as much as he can while clearly making no sort of threatening motions. "I appreciate the thought," he says, not picking up the cup or matching her grin, "but I never drink. It dulls the mind and softens the body." This is definitely going to be a fun interview. "Don't let me stop you, though. Have both. What can I do for you?"

The guard behind you is clearly also taking mental notes; he's paying attention more than he would if it were just being bored and a conversation being mildly more stimulating than the bare wall.

Kyu/Tangaroa

The older man's eyes go wide, then he brings himself under control. That, certainly, was not faked. It doesn't seem he had heard. ""Who would want to kill you? Why, I, hm, I don't know." He takes a moment to compose himself.

"Politically? Hm... that, at least, I should be able to help with a bit. As far as who would try to kill you, well, I'm afraid I have no idea. But as far as the general lay of politics, that I can help with." He runs his fingers through his beard. "You are, my son, thought of as a bit of a joke. There was a push in the Council of the Haranbousei to actually not even name a Tanist. They were considering letting the Emperor stay as an 'Eternal Emperor', venerated but not replaced even after his death. This was a minority, but it did mean that the compromise possibility ended up being... someone no one knew or was much concerned by." Father Huan is clearly not going to be sugar-coat this. That's what you get for asking.

"It's almost a social club, you know. The stronger members of the Council pay lip service at best to the idea of a unified country, and the weaker ones use it as a stage to air their grievances, but get little from it. The strongest members right now are probably the Shinoharas, the Phams, and the Khans, but there are many others with enough wealth, land or power to hold a seat. The Khans were the ones who most strongly pushed for there not to be a new Tanist. Whether they would take that as far as attacking you, though..." The old man spreads his hands in a slow shrug. "I don't see it., but I can't imagine anyone who would."

Perhaps the Father isn't the best one to gauge people's willingness to kill. He seems to have an optimistic approach to human nature, but he's definitely willing to help, at the least.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Felicia

"Well you're no fun." Felicia said without much seriousness, taking a sip from her cup before her gaze hardened. "Now, the way I see it, this sort of dirty business isn't ever learned about directly. It's always a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy..." She looking down into her wine. "Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not going to ask you to betray a friend. The way I see if, if they haven't hurt me and my own directly, I'll leave them alone." She took another sip. "The way I see it, you're not stupid. Even if you don't know who hired you, I bet you have suspicions." She glanced over to the guard, "But, we all know the suspicions of an assassin aren't going to be enough. But, if you can use those suspicions to lead me to somebody who might know things you don't... well, I'll see if I can't get the Lord Tanist to plead for mercy on your part. You know, avoid getting your head cut off an all." She downed her drink, "If you feel like it, then feel free to request some alone time with me." She grinned again, "Then we can chat and I'll be the only one to know what you said. Have my word on that."

After a moment's thought, she added, "I'll bring lunch too, since you don't drink and all."

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Kyu Tarantalis

Father Huan's explanation didn't point out any likely suspects, unfortunately. However, it was still illuminating and helpful to Kyu. At the very least, he now understood the political situation a little better. "Thank you Father Huan. I knew I could count on you." Kyu nods. "Please, just try and keep your ears open. And if anything further happens, the Church will need to be ready to calm and give hope to the people." He leans in and places a hand on Father Huan's shoulder.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Kyu

"Of course." The elderly priest nods sagely, resting his own hand atop Kyu's. That, at least, he's very good at. "If you require anything, we shall always be here, my child." It seems Kyu has formed at least one potential angle for hearing about upcoming danger, beyond an opportunity to learn more about the political realities surrounding him.

Felicia

"Deal." Dominic leans forward. "Bring me a good meal, and I'll give you what I can there. I hate not being told what I'm up against, after all. Bad for business to have clients think they can take advantage of you."

Psiwri
Mar 8, 2012

As Michi was escorted to where her mother was, she tried to start some small talk with the servant, but it didn't get anywhere. It was an odd feeling to return, she didn't really think this part about home was missed. She took a seat before her Mother, spending a second to remember how to sit properly before having a sip of tea herself.

"Mother, how have you been? It doesn't seem like anything has changed while I was away." She knew the real talk was going to happen soon enough, easing in felt like the way to go.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Kyu Tarantalis

"Well, I'm out of ideas." Kyu chuckles lightly as he leaves the church. "I really thought the church would have the answers. I hope the others are having more success." Though his demeanor appears light, there is a nervous edge to his voice as he is all too aware that there is someone powerful, perhaps even multiple, that wants to end his life.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Mersina

As Mersina finishes her care for her pegasus, one of the cleaning staff comes up to her. How odd. This is clearly outside of her usual area of responsibility. "Excuse me, ma'am?" That's even more out of the ordinary.

The maid takes a deep breath. "I'm sorry to bother you, but I wanted to tell you. That guard who was killed last night? He was my boyfriend. Um... I want his killers brought down. I-I don't know much. But he did mention he was going to have a big score last night. He had been meeting with some foreign men and was going to let them sneak... look, don't tell anyone, okay? That's why I picked you. He was going to let them sneak in, but they killed him!"

With that, she turns to flee, having said her piece. You could certainly catch her no problem, but she seems to not want to be say anything more.

Michi (note that this was co-written with Michi's player)

"Of course not, dear. Our country is not one given to wild flights of fancy." Her mother takes another very slow sip of tea.

"Has anything changed?" MIchi was fishing for something to latch on to.

"Well, dear," by this point it's clear that she's just using the diminutive on the chance it bothers Michi, "You've grown... older, since the last I've seen of you."

Michi did not succeed at hiding her annoyance at the answer. "So have you, mother."

"Indeed." Her mother smiles. "You haven't even touched your tea."

Michi looks at the drink and takes a sip. "They weren't much for tea over in Kalsus."

"So, what brings you back to our house, then?"

"Have you heard yet that assassins tried to take Kyu's life just recently?"

"Have they?" Michi's mother sets down her cup as she considers her answer. Looking controlled has always been important to her. "No, I had not."

"It was practically under the capital's nose, I was hoping to see Father to talk about it in detail." Michi takes another sip, "They weren't very good though."

"Hm." Her mother considers Michi for a long moment. "I'm afraid I don't know when I'll see him next. It could be a day or two. And I would not want him to see you in that silly foreign get-up."

Michi didn't think it was silly, but this wasn't something to get hung up on. "Is there anything I could change into then?"

"Rushing off already?"

"Oh, no, I was just wondering since nothing I had before would fit."

"True enough. You have been away for some time." By now, Michi is sensing more than the baseline level of hostility from her mother.

Michi spent a moment looking around the room before looking back at her mother. "I wasn't ready to come back, they forced me to."

"Hm." The room seems to grow noticeably colder. Her mother doesn't add much else.

Michi could feel the chill in the room. "I won't know what you want if you don't tell me."

"I'd like my daughter back!" Her eyes narrow for a second. "You leave, you come back a Kalsian, and now you're only even visiting to stir up more trouble!"

Michi looks down at the tea in her cup for a while. "Um, look, a lot is happening right now and I'm not sure if, well. Kyu needs all the help he can get and I know I can provide that."

"On first-name basis with our new Tanist, hm?" Now she offers a smile. "Even if you knew him growing up, that's not the worst thing in the world. I do hope you can at least shed that accent, though, dear."

"That won't happen overnight but it can't be that hard to change back can it?"

"We would hope. I'd heard you'd become very Kalsian, but this is still disturbing." Her mother shakes her head and clucks her tongue. "We'll get you to see your father as soon as possible, of course."

"The whole idea was to see what being Kalsian was like, I thought I was doing well on that."

"There's success, and then there's success." Her mother climbs to her feet. "Come on, come on. And if your Tanist friend wants to come along, you should get him, too. Once you're all together and dressed, I'll see about getting you in to see your father."

Michi stood up as well. "Thanks mother," she said with her best shot at not having her accent.

Everyone: Feel free to assume runners catch Kyu and Tangaroa to let them know to meet Michi before the meeting with Michi's father, and, by proxy, the Council of the Haranbousei! I'm giving you a chance to catch up in character if you like, as well as to let Felicia and Mersina finish up their errands in case they want to do more there, before meeting back up and pressing forward. I'll be pressing forward before too much longer, anyway, though..

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Kyu Tarantalis

Kyu huffs and puffs a little as he comes up to the others. Obviously, having lived most of his life in a cloistered environment he was not used to so much exertion in one day. "Being a assassinated sure is tiring," he says, lightly chuckling. "So, um, did anyone find out anything?"

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

"Hold up, woman." Mersina simply replies as she gets between the maid and the exit with ease. After all, she was a trained soldier in light gear - a servant has little hope of matching that agility.

"Start making sense first." she continued, sighing. "I do hope you realize I can't do anything to find your boyfriends killers if I don't tell anyone, right?"

And then her gaze sharpens. "Not to mention you apparently knew about this, but failed to inform anyone of that fact. You do understand this makes you an accomplice, right? I may consider not telling anyone on you if you tell me everything you know about this. And be quick about it, I don't have forever."

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Felicia

"Good to hear." She said to Dominic, picking up the glasses and stepping backwards out of the cell. She waited for the guard to open the door, and upon him doing so pushed the bottle onto him. "Here you go. A present!" She said with a laugh, heading off for Kyu.

---

Later

Upon meeting up with the Tanist, she patted him on the back with his question. "Well, I arranged for the head guy who tried to kill you to agree to talk, in return you have to try and keep his head attached."

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Mersina

"T-that's all I know, I swear!" She holds up her hands, to ward off the implied threats. "He just told me he had met with them a day before, and I didn't think much of it until... until..." She fights off tears. "I never went gambling with him, but that must have been where he met them. I think he usually played in that alley by the docks, near the Kalsian embassy."

The location in question is mildly infamous. It's not even a real establishment. Just people who don't have anywhere else to go, often transients or the chronically broke, meeting up together and, usually, both sides attempting to cheat. It's not well-known for being fair. No wonder he was so eager for what seemed like a simple windfall.

Felicia

The guard seems very happy to have the bottle. You've made a friend, at least until he finishes it.

The group

"The esteemed Councilor will be with you shortly." The steward has lead Kyu and company to a waiting room. "He's in another meeting right now." He withdraws, leaving everyone in a fairly well-appointed room. You do have a little time to yourselves, here.

Psiwri
Mar 8, 2012

Michi sees the others arrive at the waiting room and waves over at them. "Nice that you're all in one piece still. By the way Kyu, I don't know how much you remember about father, but if you feel like he's trying to pick you apart its because he is. Try not to sweat it too much though, I'm pretty sure he likes to see people squirm when he's not stuck being completely serious in meetings. Speaking from personal experience."

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Once again, she sighs.

"You literally just told me more about it right after -- ugh, nevermind. I'll... see what I can do." Mersina replies.

Turning around and letting her pass, Mersina then does her best to catch up with Kyu and the rest.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Kyu Tarantalis

Kyu scrunches his mouth a bit as Michi warns him about her her father. "I'll try to keep it in mind," he says. "Father Huan said that there were members of the Council that didn't even want to name a Tanist. I, uh, hope your father doesn't have anything against me."

Psiwri
Mar 8, 2012

Michi threw a wry smile at Kyu, "Only if you do something stupid."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Tangaroa

Tangaroa has been quietly looming this whole time. He clears his throat here.

"Even if he does not, it is wise to distrust the Council. They chose you because they believe you are safe. A fool, to be manipulated. A pawn."

He shakes his head.

"Let them believe that for now. It will make fooling them easier."

This has been his entire strategy in hunting out the slaver among them, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
"My lord Tanist? Lady Michi? And... companions? If I may?" The butler is back. "Councilor Kawasie will meet with you." As Michi's father, he is entitled to be known as such.

He leads them to the next room, a well-appointed office. Councilor Isami Kawasie is at the window, not at his desk, with his hands behind his back. "I just finished meeting with Duke Gerald, the Kalsian ambassador," he begins without preamble. Clearly he's a bit at a loss to not even observe full formalities. "He was here to tell me that Kalsus wasn't behind this assassination attempt."

He turns back to face the group after that. It's obvious where Michi got most of her looks from; he even shared her hair color at one point, though a bit of grey is creeping into it now. "Please tell me you've found something out, daughter." His eyes meet hers before scanning the rest of the group. "Or someone has. Because I'm sure the Duke could have faked sincerity, but he didn't even try. I haven't heard something so insincere since the time Michi tried to tell me she didn't draw on the walls when I caught her holding a crayon in the same color as the drawing on the wall at her height." He mimes the height of a very small child with his hand.

"What's worse is that I'm not the first person he's met with today, and I don't think I'm going to be the last." Now the Councilor takes his seat and gestures at the row of seats in front of him for people to take their own seats. "Someone's going to make public accusations against Kalsus and trigger a major incident unless we have something else to present." His feet are already up on his desk. This is apparently a formally informal talk.

• Locked thread