Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...s-a6980546.html

quote:

In an interview with Dave Rubin on the American talk show ‘Rubin Report’ yesterday, the writer, actor, presenter, and all round national treasure Stephen Fry decided that "self pity" by survivors of child sexual abuse was an appropriate target for his ire.

Fry’s argument focused on censorship and the “deep infantilism” he perceives in today’s society. Thee discussion included mentions of the unsuccessful Oxford University petition to remove a statue of colonialist Cecil Rhodes and the application of so-called "trigger warnings" to literature.

Fry remarked that many great plays contain scenes of rape and murder, including Shakespearian classics such as Titus Andronicus and Macbeth. "They’re terrible things and they have to be thought about, clearly," Fry said, "but if you say you can’t watch this play… [because] it might trigger something when you were young that upset you once, because uncle touched you in a nasty place, well I’m sorry.

"It’s a great shame and we’re all very sorry that your uncle touched you in that nasty place – you get some of my sympathy – but your self pity gets none of my sympathy. Self pity is the ugliest emotion in humanity. Get rid of it, because no one’s going to like you if you feel sorry for yourself. Just grow up."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
BIG BOOK OF GREEK MYTHS: TRIGGER WARNING: Swan rape, goat rape, bull rape, necrophilia, golden showers, giant phallus, sexual harassment, crude language, kidnap and rape, regular rape, gore/pomegranates

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
2016 reg date? Check!
Honey pot thread? Check!
Suck my balls? Check!

3/3 would not read again.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

BIG BOOK OF GREEK MYTHS: TRIGGER WARNING: Swan rape, goat rape, bull rape, necrophilia, golden showers, giant phallus, sexual harassment, crude language, kidnap and rape, regular rape, gore/pomegranates

AND THE PATRIARCHY ALWAYS WINS!

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
also lol that the UK is more free than the US

edit: you need to have watched the whole video to know what im talking about i think

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

onestly hes not wrong

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

spud posted:

2016 reg date? Check!
Honey pot thread? Check!
Suck my balls? Check!

I would not like to suck your balls, I'm sorry. I must decline.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Stephen Fry is right about a lot of things, hell he may even be right about most things

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
seriously, though, what's caused this 2016 influx of 2004-style bigots like the OP to this forum? changed gbs format?

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
that fat piece of poo poo can suck my dang balls

edit: just noticed the thread is about stephen fry, i guess that means both fat pieces of poo poo can suck my god dam nballs

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
The reason he hates self pity so much is because he knows and hates himself, imo.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Stuntman posted:

seriously, though, what's caused this 2016 influx of 2004-style bigots like the OP to this forum? changed gbs format?

I don't think the op subscribes to any ideology other than making lovely threads

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Stephen Fry is a despicable human being, putting it generously. (The human being part, that is)

QI still good show though.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Stuntman posted:

Tax refund parachute accounts?

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
I, too, like to sprinkle my social commentary with thinly-veiled disdain for rape victims. That's how I make sure it is taken seriously.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Depression is really just how the ultra selfish try to justify their bullshit and feel better about making it everyone else's problem

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Stephen Fry is a proven criminal and made a whole documentary mocking people suffering from depression. This is about par for the course really.

Some say his nose is the result of his mother sensing what was to come and not wanting to unleash such filth uppon the world. Alas, he was not be denied, clenching be damned.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
Stephen Fry is Cool and Good

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

how me a frog posted:

Stephen Fry is a proven criminal and made a whole documentary mocking people suffering from depression. This is about par for the course really.

Some say his nose is the result of his mother sensing what was to come and not wanting to unleash such filth uppon the world. Alas, he was not be denied.

yeah but if u suffer from depression u probably are just a lil bitch, i should know im pretty fuckin depressed

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

how me a frog posted:

Stephen Fry is a proven criminal

explain immediately

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Profondo Rosso posted:

yeah but if u suffer from depression u probably are just a lil bitch, i should know im pretty fuckin depressed

Why don't you get into your little red biplane and fly away, porco?

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Professor Shark posted:

explain immediately

Stephen John Fry (born 24 August 1957)[1] is an English comedian, actor, writer, presenter and activist. After a troubled childhood and adolescence, during which he was expelled from two schools and spent three months in prison for credit card fraud

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
BRB I need to shave and trim.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Professor Shark posted:

Stephen Fry is right about a lot of things, hell he may even be right about most things

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

how me a frog posted:

Stephen John Fry (born 24 August 1957)[1] is an English comedian, actor, writer, presenter and activist. After a troubled childhood and adolescence, during which he was expelled from two schools and spent three months in prison for credit card fraud

lol I don't give a poo poo about that

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

spud posted:

2016 reg date? Check!
Honey pot thread? Check!
Suck my balls? Check!

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Professor Shark posted:

lol I don't give a poo poo about that

Then why did you ask?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

how me a frog posted:

Then why did you ask?

I think he means credit card fraud is too trivial to sway his positive opinion about Fry.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Applewhite posted:

I think he means credit card fraud is too trivial to sway his positive opinion about Fry.

That's odd cause I am generally considered a not so good poster but at least I managed never to do a crime, and If I had done one I probably wouldn't have been caught like a crooked nosed mollusk of a vage approximation of a man.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I get the impression that Fry probably struggles with a lot of personal issues and is probably really unpleasant to interact with on a personal level, but I love his public persona and his sound bites are on point.

You know who I bet is actually cool to hang out with is Hugh Laurie.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
Stephen Fry was a real rear end in a top hat about Miami on that show he had where he drove a london taxi across America, I don't think he even actually checked it out, he just dissed it. Like how does a rich gay dude not love Miami?

Dave Rubin's cool tho

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

how me a frog posted:

That's odd cause I am generally considered a not so good poster but at least I managed never to do a crime,

why dont u go smoke some drugs u bitch

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Applewhite posted:

I get the impression that Fry probably struggles with a lot of personal issues and is probably really unpleasant to interact with on a personal level, but I love his public persona and his sound bites are on point.

You know who I bet is actually cool to hang out with is Hugh Laurie.

Truth.

On the flipside, I bet Rowan Atkinson never shuts the gently caress up.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

how me a frog posted:

Truth.

kinda like you

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

how me a frog posted:

That's odd cause I am generally considered a not so good poster but at least I managed never to do a crime, and If I had done one I probably wouldn't have been caught like a crooked nosed mollusk of a vage approximation of a man.

I don't think one's criminal record has any bearing on how funny someone is? It seems like you're trying to attack his message by attacking him personally rather than refuting his point.

Anorexic Robot
Nov 11, 2012

how me a frog posted:

Truth.

So you would rather hang out with mr bean then

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Okay op back from shaving and trimming and I thought about what you said.

Well Stephen Fry may be right here if I remember he also whines about people being mean to him on twitter.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

how me a frog posted:

Truth.

I dunno, I've never tried to imagine Atkinson in his private life. I almost think he doesn't have an existence outside the characters he plays.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Applewhite posted:

I don't think one's criminal record has any bearing on how funny someone is? It seems like you're trying to attack his message by attacking him personally rather than refuting his point.

Oh so after GBS became poo poo GBS which became GBS 2.0 which became whatever the fuk this was until recently, it is now D&D and rather than going hog wild I'm supposed to write up a dissertation about why maybe victims of sexual abuse weren't asking for it despite whatever Stephen Fry says, or whatever he said, to be honest I forget at this point. Blah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

how me a frog posted:

Then why did you ask?

Applewhite posted:

Yeah, troubled teen committed petty crime isn't exactly blowing my mind

• Locked thread