Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
You can set freight trucks to only move when they have a full load, which usually will take care of the splitting problem. If not you need more trucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Watching this game on Twitch yesterday and the lack of stop signs in cities bugs the gently caress out of me. I think that alone would stop me from buying it.

Why do buses have to wait as a random assortment of pedestrians and cars cross in front of them willy-nilly?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

You can set freight trucks to only move when they have a full load, which usually will take care of the splitting problem. If not you need more trucks.

Haven't had the chance to try this yet here but doing that in Train Fever just seemed to kill your delivery times and uaually notuing wpuld use your line after that, so yu had to build things up again by running 1/4 and 1/2 empty vehicles. With the revamp to how cargo works I dont know what would happen now.

Still lots of things to play around with when I get some free time.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Mountain-loving-road.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love how I often end up with like 20 tiny windows covering my screen, and many of them opened half way hidden by the interface or falling off the screen. esc doesn't close them (or bring up the main menu like in 99% of games!), you have to manually hunt down the little X on all of them, but first you have to click and drag them so the X isn't hiding off the screen.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I love how I often end up with like 20 tiny windows covering my screen, and many of them opened half way hidden by the interface or falling off the screen. esc doesn't close them (or bring up the main menu like in 99% of games!), you have to manually hunt down the little X on all of them, but first you have to click and drag them so the X isn't hiding off the screen.

Or you can press Del to close everything at once.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

nielsm posted:

Or you can press Del to close everything at once.

Cool thanks.

How does city growth work? Is it something I can sort of steer or direct in some way? Cities seem to start growing once they're looked into the network, but will they grow better/faster if they are also supplied with goods? Also tram stops seem to cover a huge area of the city, but it seems to get a lot more ridership when the stops are a lot closer together than the highlighted range shows. Any good rule of thumb for this?

Also is it better to have one big train or many smaller trains? Do the people take frequency into account when using your network or not?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

For cargoes that aren't time-sensitive, one large train is probably cheaper to run, as long as you have it wait for full load. For one thing you'll only need to pay for one locomotive, second is that vehicles sitting idle at a station cost like 1/4 in maintenance costs. I don't really know if any cargoes are more time-sensitive than others, yet...
However regardless of that, you could still be limited by station capacities and the capacities of the inbound/outbound stockpiles on industries. If the inbound stockpile of an industry is filled, excess cargo will have to stay at the station I think, or maybe can't even be unloaded from the vehicle.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
I built a train ring that takes passengers around seven cities of which one was one of the cities I started building in. Once I put in a cargo ring as well and hooked it up to some machines/tools/fuel I'm getting tonnes of food transferred to the cargo station for that city apparently being shipped across the city from the cargo station at the other side via the central truck station :v:

Not sure how time sensitive food is, but I assume that's gonna make it go bad.

nielsm posted:

Mountain-loving-road.

The on thing I actually enjoy about this game is how it handles building tracks and roads and the rules w/r/t that.

Joda fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 9, 2016

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Figured out how to make money, just focus on passengers and the crude oil->fuel chain. Cities grow really, really fast now.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

In Transport Fever (similar to Train Fever and Cities in Motion) you definitely have to go for the compound effects of spreading wide. You can't play it like Transport Tycoon and just try to focus on one single industry or limited chain, you get a much greater effect by servicing many industries and cities. It will all compound in demand and building up on those routes will then be profitable.
Really, similar to Sim City, first build wide, then build up.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Also gently caress cleaning up the terrain after successive infrastructure upgrades.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

nielsm posted:

Also gently caress cleaning up the terrain after successive infrastructure upgrades.

Road bridges over track is not only way more convenient for trucks, it's also dirt cheap. :toot:

The even terrain tool is poo poo as it refuses to work if one pixel of the circle overlaps something that can't be altered. Like near tracks or rivers for example.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
How do you get a train to choose the empty track at a station, instead of blocking the exit for another train trying to leave? :angry:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Mandalay posted:

How do you get a train to choose the empty track at a station, instead of blocking the exit for another train trying to leave? :angry:

You don't, a line always has a fixed stopping track at each station.
If you have a dead end station and your trains can't leave because an entering train is blocking the path, your signals are placed wrong. Make sure you only place signals where it would be safe for a train to wait so it won't block any switches for other trains to pass. You never need to place signals where a section ends, only where it begins, protected sections implicitly "end" at any and every switch along the path.

Here's a basic station with a double-tracked line out and a single-tracked line out.
I've marked up where you should place signals in this situation, and how there's implicit signals at the exit of the station.

Additionally, I've marked up where the "track circuits" would split. Track circuits are one way real railroads use to detect which parts of track are occupied by a train and which are free, so the dispatchers know the approximate position of trains. It's not what Transport Fever actually uses, but it's a good approximation.
Each circuit is labeled with a letter.

The track between one pair of track circuit splits can be considered one "block", it's either occupied or free. When a train is at a signal and wants to go somewhere, you trace the path from the train's position to the destination, and make note of all the track circuits it will pass through. If all of them are free, the signal will be green and the train goes. When the train gets a path like that, all circuits on the path become reserved for that train, and count as occupied until the train has passed the circuit. If any single section is occupied on the path, it gets a red signal.

For example, if one train is on station in section D, and wants to leave through the branch line (through L), it will need a path through D, C, G, J, L.
Additionally, have a train at E that needs to go to platform at I. It needs to pass through E, F, G, H, I.
Assume the train at D goes first, it will reserve its path. Then the train at E tries to get a path, but fails because G is already reserved by the first train.
As soon as the first train has passed entirely through G, the path for the second train is free, and it will get a green signal and can go.

TL;DR: Paths are reserved from a signal to another signal or to a station the train is stopping at, whichever comes first.
Therefore, only place signals where the train could safely stop without blocking any crossing routes.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wait, stations have their own signals built in? I don't need to place signals between the intersection and the platforms?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

At least for trains with a scheduled stop at the station, they will only leave the platform if they can reserve a path out of it.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Fantastic explanation, thank you.

If I have Line 1 2 3 at station, and there's a Line 1 train set to full-load blocking station platform A, I've noticed that sometimes a Line 2 train will come by and try to pick station platform A instead of perfectly viable station platform B. What gives?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
You can use waypoints to have 2 lines that share a track to use 2 different station platforms.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I prefer the transport tycoon model where the trains pick an empty platform :(

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I don't understand the industries' model for shipping off goods. I have trains running half-full while the industry has gigantic stockpiles of finished product they should just be able to load off to my stations so I can ship it. And if I check the details tab for the industry it says "try shipping more fuel". I am trying, you won't let me!

E: Also, is anyone else seeing a bug where, sometimes if you switch away from the game, when you come back the fps has plummeted to 1-2 frames a second, making it essentially unplayable? Usually it runs perfectly smooth, but when it goes into "slow mode" I have to (painfully) save, quit and restart.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 10, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Industries in these two games are a bit tricky. You need to have the entire production and export chain all together for it to work, and any bottle necks or lack of production or capacity in one will affect the others.
Industries also only put their goods in your station if they can see a correct destination for the goods. So if the city you are selling goods to has all the buildings within range saturated with that good, the factory won't put any goods in that station anymore since it knows it won't get sold at the destination.

And sometimes you just need to wait for bottlenecks and poo poo to work their way out. There can be a lot of lag in a production chain.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

But a station can only cover so much of the city. Do I need to spread it out all around inside the drat towns too?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Poil posted:

But a station can only cover so much of the city. Do I need to spread it out all around inside the drat towns too?

Yep. If you plan ahead and have a nicely laid out city you can have a single freight station cover most of the industrial and commercial area, but beyond that you'll probably need a couple truck depots and a fleet of trucks running that poo poo around. I'd love for this to be more abstracted, but it's not.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Yep. If you plan ahead and have a nicely laid out city you can have a single freight station cover most of the industrial and commercial area, but beyond that you'll probably need a couple truck depots and a fleet of trucks running that poo poo around. I'd love for this to be more abstracted, but it's not.
That's... so not fun gameplay. Now every city needs a freaking truck loop as well. Even more lines to clog up the list. Even more trucks to keep track of. This game is getting less and less enjoyable to play all the time. :sigh:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'm sitting at 90min on this game and I'm starting to lean towards returning it. Its kinda fun, but some of the stuff mentioned in the thread has annoyed me too (especially the platforms thing).

I just want a pretty computer train set. :(

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Could someone post pictures of their stations, ideally annotated with routes going where, where the fixed platform for each line becomes a problem?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just make double-track stations and the trains go along like a belt line, no problems. I've never even had to make a station with more than 2 platforms. On a couple industries I have 3 platforms and it's as easy as having the lines just never touch each other, no cross overs. One platform, one isolated line per platform.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah, I generally have one line, one platform. Exception would be at slow industries, I'll have multiple lines unload at the same platform, since I'll just have one train running each line so it's unlikely they'll be there at the same time. Loading lines always on separate platforms.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe

nielsm posted:

Could someone post pictures of their stations, ideally annotated with routes going where, where the fixed platform for each line becomes a problem?

I'm currently at capacity in terms of trains on my cargo ring-line that delivers tools, machines and fuel to seven cities (that is to say if I add any more trains it will stop running fluently,) which would be quickly fixed with a four-lane "high-way," and some way to say "I want one of these platforms, whichever is available, thanks," neither of which is possible. Industries are capable of producing >=4x as much as they currently are, and demand is the same. As the game is right now, I'd have to add a second line that uses its own set of tracks and has its own set of trains, which means I have yet another line in my overview and I'll have to rely on the industries themselves to balance output between the two lines (not even sure if they do this, or they just pick the shortest route to destination.)

My gripe with it is basically that it lowers my ability to automate the process of (for instance,) getting cargo to all my cities in a smooth way.

Joda fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 10, 2016

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I wrapped up the third European mission and it's spent transporting steel from Sweden for export to Germany and getting food back to three cities (one of which is misspelled) around world war 2. Maybe trains would've been more efficient but just throwing trucks at everything was way more than enough to breeze through. The challenge seem mostly to be in grabbing all medals, which I failed at.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I actually forgot the game even has modern times. I just keep re-starting maps when I get frustrated and keep starting in the 1800's or 1900's

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
It's pretty fun once you get there but the game is getting to me. I've got an oil well that refuses to increase production and my entire fuel system is breaking down. The performance is also bad, it's just like Train Fever.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah my computer gets noisy as hell running the game, even if the game is on pause.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Some of the user made maps are pretty decent, been using this one
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=796639420

Also, windowmode + multiple monitors makes for nice panoramas

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Baronjutter posted:

Some guy posted on reddit that you can drop off goods (but not load) at passenger stations. https://www.reddit.com/r/TransportFever/comments/5cbabs/tip_you_can_drop_cargo_at_passenger_stations/

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Put in for a refund, the fact that trains want to use a specific platform even if its occupied and even if there are open platforms is just a deal breaker for me. I know you can work around it with various waypoint setups and stuff, but honestly I don't think you should have to. OTTD has been doing that kind of pathfinding for years. :sigh:

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Put in for a refund, the fact that trains want to use a specific platform even if its occupied and even if there are open platforms is just a deal breaker for me. I know you can work around it with various waypoint setups and stuff, but honestly I don't think you should have to. OTTD has been doing that kind of pathfinding for years. :sigh:

Wait you can? I know you can change the path of a train with waypoints, but how can you make it use multiple platforms/paths?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

You can't, sorta. What you can do is use way points to ensure each different line uses a different platform on the station, which is a kludge and balls.