Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

I vaguely recall hearing a recommendation for A-Train 9, but I'm not dropping $80 on a game with no demo that I have no idea if I'll actually like.
In some ways, yes. In other ways, no. Do you like setting up bus/truck routes by telling your vehicle which way to go in every intersection? Do you like being able to build a buddhist temple with no indication whatsoever on what it actually does? It is really cool to have a spergy simulator with different architecture though.

nielsm posted:

You can unload goods at passenger stations, including bus stops. I don't know if it's a bug, but it's definitely useful.
That is very useful. Completely stupid, but useful. I hope people waiting for a bus at a school won't mind someone unloading a few hundred liters of fuel. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Uhh not what I meant to do.

Actually odd it lets me have a negative price here, generally when you set a negative price for something, the game engine overrides the price with one calculated from the vehicle's parameters. That's how the default prices are calculated, they're all specified as -1 in the model files. But some specific range apparently slips through this test.

How this happens: For some reason the game stores the price determined by the Lua scripts as a signed 32 bit integer, so this is a regular integer overflow. The company cash on hand seems to be a 64 bit integer, so it generally doesn't have overflow problems.
And yes purchasing the train does add 1.95 billion to my bank account.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

It's made by Lockheed :v:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Well here's a very alpha version of my rail cost changes mod. To try it, unpack into steamapps\common\Transport Fever\mods\ and enable it in a free game.

The prices are completely wack in the America scenario since I hadn't noticed everything there tends to be much heavier, and higher power to compensate. Apart from that, I'd be happy for any comments/testing. I'm not sure if it makes sense to proceed with this yet, for any balance changes it may be better to start out with stratifying locomotives heavier into passenger and freight categories (changing up power and TE values) than they are currently.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Transport Fever has a slick accessible interface with amazing feedback compared to a-train.

Cold.

Poil posted:

In some ways, yes. In other ways, no. Do you like setting up bus/truck routes by telling your vehicle which way to go in every intersection? Do you like being able to build a buddhist temple with no indication whatsoever on what it actually does? It is really cool to have a spergy simulator with different architecture though.

I'm down with undocumented mystery architecture, but that way of setting up routes sounds, well, awful. Why would you ever want to do that rather than just laying out waypoints and letting the bus pathfind?

Maybe I should check out Cities in Motion. All I really want is TTD, but with a UI that doesn't gargle donkey balls, 3d graphics, and support for modern screen resolutions. :sigh:

nielsm posted:

How this happens: For some reason the game stores the price determined by the Lua scripts as a signed 32 bit integer, so this is a regular integer overflow. The company cash on hand seems to be a 64 bit integer, so it generally doesn't have overflow problems.
And yes purchasing the train does add 1.95 billion to my bank account.

:stare: Lua 5.3 (which is probably what they're using) can be built with either 32-bit or 64-bit numeric types (floats and ints independently of each other, and independently of whether you're building it as ix86 or amd64 object code). It sounds like they built the game as 64-bit but configured lua to use 32-bit integer types for some reason.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cities in motion has garbage train/transit but there's fantastic mods that actually adds features to that and you can easily make it very transport tycoony or a-trainy. There's obviously people that need to move around, but also 4 cargo types. It's of course mostly a city builder, but with a couple mods it becomes a pretty good train/transport/transit game too.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Are you referring to CIM1 or 2? It's too bad those threads, as well as the openTTD one, are archived.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm talking about cities skylines because I can't read.

Cim1 is pretty fun though, specially with mods. Cim2 is badddd

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

I can't go back to OTTD after this. Even though it does run better on my 7+ year old PC and it has way more customization and modding opportunities, and even though Transport Fever has some questionable design/feature choices and dear God, Terrain Alignment Collision... It is all worth it.

Time to mess around with some config settings to see if I can generate a real USA map with miles of nothing in between cities! Profitable as gently caress, I imagine.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Oh god this mod makes a huge difference

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=797404025&searchtext=

too bad it only works with the stock multiple units.

Related:

Used that mod for those 3-car TWINSTOXXX or w/e they are called, which I use in conjunction with 80m platforms to make metro lines

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 19, 2016

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
So, I've been neglecting Transport Fever for a bit, but decided to hop back in. Transport Fever complains that my computer was using the built in Intel GPU and not the actual video card. Look at video card software, oh, I need to update the drivers.

Update drivers, reload saved game, and I get some kind of weird hosed up terrain that looks like baby's first attempt at a believable dessert camo pattern. I think maybe something got f'd up, so today I start a new game and get the same thing:

What is going on?

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

YF19pilot posted:

So, I've been neglecting Transport Fever for a bit, but decided to hop back in. Transport Fever complains that my computer was using the built in Intel GPU and not the actual video card. Look at video card software, oh, I need to update the drivers.

Update drivers, reload saved game, and I get some kind of weird hosed up terrain that looks like baby's first attempt at a believable dessert camo pattern. I think maybe something got f'd up, so today I start a new game and get the same thing:

What is going on?

I had a similar problem, though without the camo pattern. If you have a Nvidia card (I don't know how this works for AMD, sorry), go to the Nvidia control panel and set the program to use your graphics card manually. Hopefully that helps.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I have decided the thing that annoys me the most about this game is the industry generation. I always try to build an interconnected network that makes some kind of sense, but because industries are just distributed at random you can't really do that. I think the terrain generation is fine, I just wish that mines would be in mountainous areas, processing/manufacturing near cities, farms on flat plains ect. Is there any way, through mods or otherwise to delete preexisting industries or else prevent the game from placing industries when a map is generated?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Log082 posted:

I had a similar problem, though without the camo pattern. If you have a Nvidia card (I don't know how this works for AMD, sorry), go to the Nvidia control panel and set the program to use your graphics card manually. Hopefully that helps.

I tried, but didn't work. I did find a link to a hotfix that should work. Otherwise the solution seems to be to reinstall...

e: looks like the hotfix has been removed. Time to reinstall!

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 19, 2016

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Pharnakes posted:

I have decided the thing that annoys me the most about this game is the industry generation. I always try to build an interconnected network that makes some kind of sense, but because industries are just distributed at random you can't really do that. I think the terrain generation is fine, I just wish that mines would be in mountainous areas, processing/manufacturing near cities, farms on flat plains ect. Is there any way, through mods or otherwise to delete preexisting industries or else prevent the game from placing industries when a map is generated?

Well there's this mod to place industries but true, it won't remove existing ones.

It's possible to have the game generate fewer industries, but not none at all, as far as I can tell. Here's a mod that lower the industry rate dramatically. I tried generating a new Large size map without and with the rate change. Without, I got 109 industries on the map. With that mod, I got 8 industries on the map.
Just unpack the ZIP file in your Transport Fever/mods/ folder and enable it in a custom game.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Ahh, I found that variable in the config file but misunderstood how it worked, it's not industry per area it's how large an area has to be to contain one industry. This should probably do what I want it to, thanks.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

YF19pilot posted:

I tried, but didn't work. I did find a link to a hotfix that should work. Otherwise the solution seems to be to reinstall...

e: looks like the hotfix has been removed. Time to reinstall!

I had a problem with Visual Studio 2013 on my laptop where it would disregard all settings and use the Intel chip regardless. I had to make a short-cut on the desktop and have to right click it and choose "run with graphics processor">NVIDIA every single time. This is an exclusive issue to Windows 10 in my experience, but I don't know if your issue is the same; it just sounds very similar.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Joda posted:

I had a problem with Visual Studio 2013 on my laptop where it would disregard all settings and use the Intel chip regardless. I had to make a short-cut on the desktop and have to right click it and choose "run with graphics processor">NVIDIA every single time. This is an exclusive issue to Windows 10 in my experience, but I don't know if your issue is the same; it just sounds very similar.

The reinstall fixed it. I'll keep this in mind, though, if it starts acting up again.

In the meantime, I'm starting on a small map just to get my feet wet again, and the silly thing shoved all of the tail end industries into a single valley up in one corner. Like, the raw goods and middle chain production are spread out evenly, but almost all of the final step production is stuck in one area with only one pass in or out of the valley. Kind of funny, will be interesting to see how it works out.

Otherwise, I'm starting with connecting passenger lines and then tie in the goods lines into the passenger infrastructure. In Train Fever, the go to strategy was sticking with cities that were close by, then increasing frequency/PAX capacity, then expanding to the next closes city on the line. But, if Transport Fever is based more on distance and speed, would I be stretching myself too thin too early if I tried to connect a farther city rather than a nearer one?

I'm also debating having wagons (I'm in 1850) running a stone -> construction mat. -> goods line. If I set the wagons to automatic, will the same trucks be able to handle the whole line, or would I have to segregate the line? And how far is too far for wagons? The stone -> factory is right on that line of maybe being too close for trains, but not sure if it's too far away for trucks.

Sorry for a ton of questions.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

YF19pilot posted:

I'm also debating having wagons (I'm in 1850) running a stone -> construction mat. -> goods line. If I set the wagons to automatic, will the same trucks be able to handle the whole line, or would I have to segregate the line? And how far is too far for wagons? The stone -> factory is right on that line of maybe being too close for trains, but not sure if it's too far away for trucks.

Sorry for a ton of questions.

Yes. As far as I can tell, other than the Studebaker trucks (1930sish USA), all of the trucks can carry all of the cargo.

As far as how far is too far, it really depends on how much you are moving, you don't want trucks waiting to be un/loaded

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
So I built a train station next to a farm, but get no line usage. In another game this happened with a food factory not putting their stuff on my train.

I want to like this game but it's loving fiddly. Is it really so much to ask I be able to transport stuff like I'm supposed to? Could the game at least tell me why these places won't deign to use my line? I have to keep starting over because these supply chains just don't work.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Are you completing the entire production chain with goods drop-offs in cities? Nothing will happen unless there is a path for everything to be transported from start to finish. Farm to food processing to commercial buildings in cities.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Wandering Orange posted:

Are you completing the entire production chain with goods drop-offs in cities? Nothing will happen unless there is a path for everything to be transported from start to finish. Farm to food processing to commercial buildings in cities.

I did have that setup but it wouldn't ever put any food on the train for transport to the city.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Even if you don't have the entire production line set up, they should start sending stuff around as long as you have prerequisites taken care off, and it can find a path from supplier to receiver using your lines. You still need to finish the line, since a place will stop producing if its output storage is ever full.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I just saw a new locomotive capable of 200km/h, too bad the new wagons can't do more than 140. You get a lot of neat engines but it takes so long to get anything you can actually pull at speed. What's the point in ever buying an expensive new locomotive (if you can afford to) when the trains can't go any faster than the budget models anyway? Maybe in a decade or two you'll get a fancy new wagon capable of 20km/h more than the previous model and you can buy the fancy engine that's now the cheap model.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I find that except for on the longest and straightist of routes most high speed trains never reach their top speed. Instead I'll look at things like horsepower and traction that help them either pull more cars or accellerate faster from a complete stop.

You also need to keep in mind that in addition to the top speed of your equipment the type of tracks they are running on and the type of bridges tou are using will also determine their maximum speed.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Poil posted:

I just saw a new locomotive capable of 200km/h, too bad the new wagons can't do more than 140. You get a lot of neat engines but it takes so long to get anything you can actually pull at speed. What's the point in ever buying an expensive new locomotive (if you can afford to) when the trains can't go any faster than the budget models anyway? Maybe in a decade or two you'll get a fancy new wagon capable of 20km/h more than the previous model and you can buy the fancy engine that's now the cheap model.

Don't forget it's not just top speed, but power. A loco that can do 80 but only gets up to 65 by the time it reaches the next station isn't all that great. This can happen a lot with longer heavier trains. For a 30 car stone train you'll end up faster with a 2000 power train with a top speed of 80 vs a 1500 power train with a top speed of 100.

That and a ton of the stuff in the game isn't really as thought out or balanced as it could be...

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

One thing I really want to know is, do loaded vehicles weigh more than empty ones? In Transport Tycoon it's very clear to see a vehicle's current weight and watch it go up as it loads. Cars are even advertised with empty and full weight in the purchase window, and most cargo types are measured in tons rather than abstract units.
I don't see any of that information anywhere in TF.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

nielsm posted:

One thing I really want to know is, do loaded vehicles weigh more than empty ones?

As far as I can tell, no.

Like, I once sat and watched the weight of a coal train as it loaded (in the "details" tab on the vehicle info window). No change.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, it doesn't change, which is extremely extremely silly and makes hauling empties far more expensive and inefficient than it should be.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I finally got the hang of it and spent all evening playing. Using cars for both inputs and outputs was a big help.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
New patch dropped today. Game play and crash improvements. The notes there are kind of vague, hopefully either people will report back or they'll be more specific.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Fixed industry production dependent on frame rate bug

So that's why the production of my factories go down as soon as I stop keeping the camera on them. Going to be interesting trying out my old saves now.

Edit:

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 23, 2016

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I feel like I'm not patient enough with this game. I've only been playing free mode (maybe I should try the campaign), and I've been starting from 1850 (USA), but the lines can be crazy with fluctuations. Like, in one game, it'll be one year $100K profit, next year $400k profit. I thought maybe I didn't really have an efficient line set up, so I restarted, found the flattest, straightest line I could build, and now income alternates across three years -$10k, $100k, $300k. Is passenger rail not the thing to focus on in the early game? It kinda sucks that I set one line and will basically have to wait 15-20 years in game before I can expand the railway. I really feel like I'm going about this the wrong way. Like, I do want some challenge (which is why I haven't just run a No Costs mod), but at the same time I want my pretty virtual train set. It seems like I was able to set up and expand much quicker in Train Fever than I can in Transport Fever.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

That sounds like what I have experienced in the early game. Besides there being very few passengers in the early game, I think it is because your trains are so drat slow they might only be able to make 3/4 of a route per year. I have given up on passenger routes early game (until like 1870-80) and start with a Crude Oil -> Fuel -> City route. Horse carts are decent in 1850 for moving crude or fuel to a station but I try to find a direct train route if possible to keep costs down. Keep adding tank cars until your first train can't handle any more then save up for some passing lanes (or jump straight to double track) and a whole new train. Repeat until billionaire.

So glad they fixed the production inconsistencies and I am very surprised it was due to a frame rate bug. That sounds a little hosed up.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

this game can be purty

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I downloaded a few mods (new engines) for USA, and it seems one of them turned off new vehicles, because I keep hitting 1855 without seeing the 4-4-0 come up. WTH?

edit: I'm being an idiot. The 4-4-0 comes out in 1858 not 1855...

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Nov 25, 2016

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I'm a longtime OpenTTD player and this game looks like fun, but...

It seems so weirdly hostile to having fun sometimes. It's been 10 years (1900 start) on easy on a small map, the only lines I have are trucks and trains going from farms to a food processing plant, then the food processing plant to two cities. Straight rails, no big blocking of trains or anything, all the lines are profitable, yet I get eaten up by running costs and loan interest. I

'm $10 million in the red and I can't see myself going in to the black for years and years, and even then it would take even more time to be able to actually buy new trains for my existing lines or consider opening new lines.

Granted in OpenTTD all you needed to do was open one or two short point to point lines and you'd be almost guaranteed a profit, but Transport Fever seems like it's way on the other side of the dial where it seems really hard just to make any money at the start.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Woah wait are those dedicated tram lanes? I ended up getting frustrated and quitting around the 60's because car traffic grew out of control and made my local city routes useless. All the trams stuck in traffic and I was so mad I couldn't give them proper right of ways like real trams.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

Woah wait are those dedicated tram lanes? I ended up getting frustrated and quitting around the 60's because car traffic grew out of control and made my local city routes useless. All the trams stuck in traffic and I was so mad I couldn't give them proper right of ways like real trams.

Yeah, Bus Lane in the road options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Kilonum posted:

Yeah, Bus Lane in the road options.

I tried upgrading a road to bus lane and the bus lane just seemed to replace the tram track, it was like one or the other. Am I doing something wrong?