Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Alec Sadler and Dutch Wagenbach, that's a hell of an episode!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

He's stolen the fire chief's hat!
Man, I only started watching this show after season 1 was over, so I could binge-watch the whole thing. Now I have to wait a week between episodes after cliffhangers like that?!

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
I think we all knew it was gonna be something like this but I'm glad they're not shying away from the red forest stuff being some kinda end of time fluctuating hellscape.

Side note, I know we got some Continuum fans in here too so if you're really hungry for more time fuckery I thought how Quantum Break the game handled stuff was really good. The live action stuff being handled really well too.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b39ALX4neIk

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
ALEC SADLER!!! The streams have crossed, we're through the looking glass now.

Oh the flowers are changing to red before my very eyes, that's odd. I doubt it has anything to do with the time travel from our time machine

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 10:56 on May 3, 2016

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
So now are there lethal paradox bubbles all over the timestream or is it significant that the paradox was triggered 100 years in the past?

Ramse is awesome. Cassie needs to chill out though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ramse is probably destined to return to the past at some point so that might be what is causing the time pimples.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Ramse saving Deacon will now make him and Deacon besties, just like how him and Cole got their bromance back together after Cole saved him. Pay it forward and all that.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The bubbles are the 12 monkeys. I like that. Still all works with the movie since the movie was a failed effort. I like that it can encompass and go beyond the movie while leaving the movie alone in its perfection.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Astroman posted:

Ramse saving Deacon will now make him and Deacon besties, just like how him and Cole got their bromance back together after Cole saved him. Pay it forward and all that.

Part of the theme this season is you can save people to make a difference instead of just murderin' everyone.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Of course Erik Knudsen's going to be okay with time travel.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 5, 2016

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Is Continuum worth watching if you dig this show?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Tortolia posted:

Is Continuum worth watching if you dig this show?

Continuum is worth watching even if you don't dig this show.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Continuum starts off pretty tight, but it definitely doesn't keep that momentuum up in the later seasons and it feels like the writers changed their minds quite a bit. Still it's worth a watch.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Continuum is like Lost and Millenium in that no one anticipated success and had nowhere in mind for the story to go so it just meanders and doesn't make sense; otherwise it's fine.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

So is Deegan totally responsible for the creation of the Red Forest?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Vorgen posted:

So is Deegan totally responsible for the creation of the Red Forest?

*Deacon* and probably, yes. Well except he didn't set any of the events in motion that actually created the forest.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That could just be a temporary thing because of time breaking down at that instant. Didn't they do the same thing in season 1 back when Ramse was running around with the Monkeys?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Blackchamber posted:

Continuum starts off pretty tight, but it definitely doesn't keep that momentuum up in the later seasons and it feels like the writers changed their minds quite a bit. Still it's worth a watch.

I'd have said the exact opposite, personally. They clearly rethought where the show was going during the second season, but it all holds together fairly well -- if anything, they were hoping for more seasons and not less. Show had a great ending, and the later seasons were pretty intense.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Yeah Continuum season 1 was mostly a slow paced procedural. It was during season 2 that things really got going, and season 3 was spectacular. Season 4 suffered from being cut in half rather than the show as a whole going too long

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I meant it was tight with the story telling and how the future tied into the past neatly, something 12 monkeys also does very well.

The later seasons fell apart for me when the writers decided they needed to change things the first season established in order to fit with where the show was suddenly going.

such as Kiera's family life. The first season she was going on and on about her husband and kid she needed to go back to. Later on when they wanted the possibility that Kiera would have a romantic interest in the past suddenly she'd have flashbacks to how her husband was a jerk and he slept around during their engagement and he was a corporate stooge and she realized how much she disliked him. Did she forget that stuff first season? Well suddenly only getting back to her son mattered. And it's not just her husband, she was so gung-ho for saving the status quo of the future and even if that was mostly for her son they should have shown her being more of a stooge for the corps herself. If she had an 'awakening' in the past as they said then her memories of the future should have been that she believed that everything she had done was right. Instead they showed her as always being on the outside and not liking the system, because you don't want to show the audience that your main character was an evil nazi too apparently.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Continuum is worth watching simply for the fact that the character Garza exists.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Thanks guys, will put it on my summer binge list.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Finally caught back up with the show. Still owns.

The look on Cassie's face in ep2 when she brought out Ramsey's son was fantastic :twisted:

also Ramsey is the biggest megafucker and I hope his fate involves him dying painfully for all of time. No one cares about your bastard son Ramsey.

also Continuum is a good show :colbert:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ramsey owns and I'm glad the actor has a good role after Fringe.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Ramsey owns and I'm glad the actor has a good role after Fringe.

:same:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
It's Ramse, not Ramsey.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Party Plane Jones posted:

It's Ramse, not Ramsey.

Yeah, he's great, and no doubt will be sent back in time to rescue Cassie & Cole next episode.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Ramsey is the one that cuts off peoples dicks.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Relationships are tough and Keira was a corporate stooge too for a long time. It makes sense that in becoming dissatisfied with her corporate stoogeness that she'd be dissatisfied with other things too. Bathos has a place in drama.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Her thing was also that she was raised in the whole Corporate Congress structure so she thought everything was fine.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
She turned in her own mother for possessing illegal books

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Ramse is okay, I like his character in this show more than most others.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

She turned in her own mother for possessing illegal books

Shbobdb posted:

Relationships are tough and Keira was a corporate stooge too for a long time. It makes sense that in becoming dissatisfied with her corporate stoogeness that she'd be dissatisfied with other things too. Bathos has a place in drama.

muscles like this? posted:

Her thing was also that she was raised in the whole Corporate Congress structure so she thought everything was fine.

No I understand all these things as plot points, what I'm saying is they weren't consistent about them. Having seen all the flashbacks about her not agreeing with how CPS and the corporations acted and how her husband was a prick and ran around on her while they were dating and being a scumbag, if you rewatched season 1 again would the things she said or her motivations fit with what was 'revealed' in the later seasons? No. She missed her husband just as much as her son and she was gung-ho about CPS and the good it did in season one, and in the narrative she should have had all that knowledge from day one in the past.

All shows and movies have plot holes, obviously. My point was the first season was tight until later seasons had to change things to fit the new story they now wanted to tell and that they didn't care about continuuity.

On the subject of plot holes, the one that always bugged me was that her little device had a truth serum that she used on the hacker guy but later on whenever they needed info she never seemed to remember she had it.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 8, 2016

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Here you go...
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3733949&pagenumber=11#lastpost

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
That red forest ending was such a mindfuck. I have no idea what it means but it's working for me, somehow.

I like Ramse but I don't care about his son. As much as I like the Ramse/Cole bromance, I really thought Ramse had gone full heel last season and would be this season's big bad. Though I do like Cassie now being a cold badass.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I think future Cole is gonna be the big bad.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
As someone who liked Babylon 5, let's just say that I'm fine treating the first season of a show as an extended pilot. The tone of continuum changed a lot after the first season, I'm fine with cutting the fat for deeper characterization.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

sticklefifer posted:

That red forest ending was such a mindfuck. I have no idea what it means but it's working for me, somehow.

I like Ramse but I don't care about his son. As much as I like the Ramse/Cole bromance, I really thought Ramse had gone full heel last season and would be this season's big bad. Though I do like Cassie now being a cold badass.

I think I'd like the change in Cassie if they weren't trying so hard to pit her against Cole. It made her seem really whiny and selfish this episode when she hated the plan just because it was Cole's and made a bunch of snide remarks, and this was right after getting on him and wanting to abandon him in the past for not putting the mission first. Plus, the Deacon relationship seems really forced just to add tension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Hi, all.
Reminder: New 12 Monkeys in about 45 minutes. Here's hoping for at least an answer or two.

• Locked thread