Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
the genius network executives who made the history channel "History" and replaced all the good ww2 documentaries with some retarded reality tv for hillbilly jack offs has done it again:

http://www.tvinsider.com/article/78528/h2-viewers-arent-happy-about-viceland-taking-over-their-channel/ posted:

H2 Viewers Aren't Happy About Viceland Taking Over Their Channel

H2 viewers encountered quite a rude awakening over the past week.

Fans expecting to see shows like Ancient Aliens and Modern Marvels instead stumbled across a new crop of series with titles such as Balls Deep, F*ck That’s Delicious and Weediquette.

Nope, it’s not your father’s secondary History Channel anymore. Viceland, the new youth-skewing 24-hour cable channel from Vice Media and A+E Networks, replaced H2 on February 29. And although both media coverage and A+E trumpeted the news for weeks leading up to the switch, it still caught several audience members off guard.

“The only reason I didn’t get rid of cable was because of the H2 network,” one reader posted on Channel Guide’s website, which has now clocked more than 1,000 comments about the flip (many of them vulgar). “The new change is horrible. I now can leave cable and go back to streaming what I want.”

Another reader added: “The sad truth is that we are no longer the demographic to which the TV stations are marketing. They believe the under-30 crowd will produce the marketing dollars. Prepare for more of the same.”

An A+E Networks insider said the company was receiving the same volume of phone calls it gets from any show cancellation. “It’s pretty minimal,” he said. “We were pretty proactive about telling fans what was happening and where the programming would be available.”

And on the flip side, some reaction on Viceland's Facebook page has been positive to the new channel: "I just stumbled upon this TV channel recently and i had never even heard of it, but now i am addicted to it," wrote one poster. "I love all the variety it has and the different cultures. It truly is different and i like it a lot so far. Balls Deep is my favorite one so far. Viceland is one of my new favorite channels." Added another, about Ellen Page's new show Gaycation: "Incredible! So refreshing to watch something hard hitting & real. The interviewing, subject matter is just so touching & heartfelt."

also A&E executives don't give a gently caress what people really think

one less reason to pay for cable tv lol

That Robot fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
It's gonna be odd when in the near future the only cable channels anyone will pay for are bizarre niche ones.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
cable more like GAYble, just get the 'flix and hulu gently caress

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Cable is a dead medium. It is going the way of the newspaper. I hope they suffer when they finally die.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Where do I get the job to be the paid stooge who posts positive comments for lovely decisions?

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

It's gonna be odd when in the near future the only cable channels anyone will pay for are bizarre niche ones.

Nah you gotta get the bundle because that's how major telecoms work.

I miss the old quality History Channel programming from pre-2006 or so, but I hope this is A&E sounding its own death knell. Death to cable.

iustorum_anime
Apr 4, 2016

as a millennial, I like to spend my marketing dollars on my favorite TV show Balls Deep

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Can't you just watch documentaries on Netflix or YouTube instead?

All cable is good for anymore is giving content for Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon to stream.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
ancient aliens must now find a new home. bon voyage!

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I got rid of TV completely years ago and the only thing I sometimes miss is NFL football, but I'm a Chargers fan so it has all worked out anyway.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If you really wanted to hear the same old poo poo about World War 2 that's been repeated a thousand times by now I'm sure there's some mumble gently caress spouting twenty hours of poo poo about it on YouTube or some random podcast or something.

And why the gently caress are people so obsessed with WW2 anyway, there's like a thousand other wars that happened/are happening, shut up about you old dead war already.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
otoh gently caress that's delicious is a good show

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Dust settles.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Nooner posted:

cable more like GAYble, just get the 'flix and hulu gently caress

ya but they don't have original documentaries that often

and the ones they have are more crazier than some of the dumb history channel programming there is these days

Backweb posted:

I miss the old quality History Channel programming from pre-2006 or so, but I hope this is A&E sounding its own death knell. Death to cable.

second; i agree

chemtrail huffer posted:

as a millennial, I like to spend my marketing dollars on my favorite TV show Balls Deep

yeah is sounds very edgy

Mega64 posted:

Can't you just watch documentaries on Netflix or YouTube instead?

All cable is good for anymore is giving content for Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon to stream.

i do, but there aren't that many old-school documentaries done these days

Mega64 posted:

If you really wanted to hear the same old poo poo about World War 2 that's been repeated a thousand times by now I'm sure there's some mumble gently caress spouting twenty hours of poo poo about it on YouTube or some random podcast or something.

And why the gently caress are people so obsessed with WW2 anyway, there's like a thousand other wars that happened/are happening, shut up about you old dead war already.

it was some crazy poo poo, yo

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

And on the flip side, some reaction on Viceland's Facebook page has been positive to the new channel: "I just stumbled upon this TV channel recently and i had never even heard of it, but now i am addicted to it," wrote one poster. "I love all the variety it has and the different cultures. It truly is different and i like it a lot so far. Balls Deep is my favorite one so far. Viceland is one of my new favorite channels."

That's the fakest review since fake review came to fake review town, and the author is stupid for not knowing that.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I remember years ago on Halloween the history channel did some kick rear end specials on dracula and frankenstein

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Mega64 posted:

cuz there's pictures and videos from it which typically goes well with the "motion picture" medium

edit: the 30 years war is where its at, but it wasn't in english so no one gives a gently caress

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
was it the history channel that did the WWII in color thing, where they collected all the footage and made a film? or was that Discovery?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

An exec thought it was smart to create a cable network for people under 30 when people under 30 don't have cable.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Niwrad posted:

An exec thought it was smart to create a cable network for people under 30 when people under 30 don't have cable.

I was gonna say I do, but then I remembered Im 32. :(

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

:lol:

quote:

Thus far, though, Viceland doesn’t seem to be bringing anyone to TV. The average daily viewership of the channel over its first three weeks is a massive 77 percent lower than H2’s viewership over the last three weeks of its existence, according to Rentrak data obtained by International Business Times. And if you think the percentage is bad, the raw numbers are worse: H2 averaged a little over 241,000 viewers a day during that time period. Viceland? Just over 55,000. Viceland’s first week averaged around 60,400 viewers a day.

AdolfHitler
Mar 21, 2009
they should remake God in my image.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
drat no more hitler channel. :gbsmith:

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

im glad

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Of all the channels to bemoan the death of cable, you pick loving H2

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

drat no more hitler channel. :gbsmith:

:same:

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Was there anything good on H2? I just remember that History is the Hitler/Aliens channel and I'm not sure if H2 was the same.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

raditts posted:

wait this thread is about H2? who cares? It's like the Arena football league going under

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Backweb posted:

You know how lovely, dying malls only attract weirdo stores in the end? That's what cable TV is going to be like soon.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
balls deep is actually good content

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

raditts posted:

yeah because it was watchable and not entirely hillbilly retard reality tv

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I really miss History International, and somewhat miss H2

Rahu posted:

Was there anything good on H2? I just remember that History is the Hitler/Aliens channel and I'm not sure if H2 was the same.

H2 had both, it was probably 1/2-2/3 lovely ancient aliens and dumbass stuff, but the rest of the time was the normal History backcatalog of Modern Marvels and other actual historic series. It was basically what the History channel looked like as it was transitioning to poo poo, about a decade ago

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

balls deep is actually good content
ya

this is actually a good thing u guys

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's funny because they think us cord cutting millennials want to subscribe to TV again.

I can wait to IPO my company, it's like Twitter but for pagers!

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
I really enjoyed the Hitler channel.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Three Olives posted:

It's funny because they think us cord cutting millennials want to subscribe to TV again.

I can wait to IPO my company, it's like Twitter but for pagers!

shouldn't you be mad about your neighbors bushes or something

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I still can't believe there's a show called Balls Deep. I honestly thought this was an April Fools joke at first read because of Balls Deep and Gaycation. Getting a show called Balls Deep on TV is crazy.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There's a show called Schitt's Creek. I don't even know what it's about but c'mon. Is there no such thing as subtlety anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010

Jolo posted:

I still can't believe there's a show called Balls Deep. I honestly thought this was an April Fools joke at first read because of Balls Deep and Gaycation. Getting a show called Balls Deep on TV is crazy.

its basically 30 minutes of a guy looking incredibly uncomfortable every week

• Locked thread