Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
the genius network executives who made the history channel "History" and replaced all the good ww2 documentaries with some retarded reality tv for hillbilly jack offs has done it again:

http://www.tvinsider.com/article/78528/h2-viewers-arent-happy-about-viceland-taking-over-their-channel/ posted:

H2 Viewers Aren't Happy About Viceland Taking Over Their Channel

H2 viewers encountered quite a rude awakening over the past week.

Fans expecting to see shows like Ancient Aliens and Modern Marvels instead stumbled across a new crop of series with titles such as Balls Deep, F*ck That’s Delicious and Weediquette.

Nope, it’s not your father’s secondary History Channel anymore. Viceland, the new youth-skewing 24-hour cable channel from Vice Media and A+E Networks, replaced H2 on February 29. And although both media coverage and A+E trumpeted the news for weeks leading up to the switch, it still caught several audience members off guard.

“The only reason I didn’t get rid of cable was because of the H2 network,” one reader posted on Channel Guide’s website, which has now clocked more than 1,000 comments about the flip (many of them vulgar). “The new change is horrible. I now can leave cable and go back to streaming what I want.”

Another reader added: “The sad truth is that we are no longer the demographic to which the TV stations are marketing. They believe the under-30 crowd will produce the marketing dollars. Prepare for more of the same.”

An A+E Networks insider said the company was receiving the same volume of phone calls it gets from any show cancellation. “It’s pretty minimal,” he said. “We were pretty proactive about telling fans what was happening and where the programming would be available.”

And on the flip side, some reaction on Viceland's Facebook page has been positive to the new channel: "I just stumbled upon this TV channel recently and i had never even heard of it, but now i am addicted to it," wrote one poster. "I love all the variety it has and the different cultures. It truly is different and i like it a lot so far. Balls Deep is my favorite one so far. Viceland is one of my new favorite channels." Added another, about Ellen Page's new show Gaycation: "Incredible! So refreshing to watch something hard hitting & real. The interviewing, subject matter is just so touching & heartfelt."

also A&E executives don't give a gently caress what people really think

one less reason to pay for cable tv lol

That Robot fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Nooner posted:

cable more like GAYble, just get the 'flix and hulu gently caress

ya but they don't have original documentaries that often

and the ones they have are more crazier than some of the dumb history channel programming there is these days

Backweb posted:

Nah you gotta get the bundle because that's how major telecoms work.

I miss the old quality History Channel programming from pre-2006 or so, but I hope this is A&E sounding its own death knell. Death to cable.

second; i agree

chemtrail huffer posted:

as a millennial, I like to spend my marketing dollars on my favorite TV show Balls Deep

yeah is sounds very edgy

Mega64 posted:

Can't you just watch documentaries on Netflix or YouTube instead?

All cable is good for anymore is giving content for Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon to stream.

i do, but there aren't that many old-school documentaries done these days

Mega64 posted:

If you really wanted to hear the same old poo poo about World War 2 that's been repeated a thousand times by now I'm sure there's some mumble gently caress spouting twenty hours of poo poo about it on YouTube or some random podcast or something.

And why the gently caress are people so obsessed with WW2 anyway, there's like a thousand other wars that happened/are happening, shut up about you old dead war already.

it was some crazy poo poo, yo

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

raditts posted:

Of all the channels to bemoan the death of cable, you pick loving H2

yeah because it was watchable and not entirely hillbilly retard reality tv

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

GORDON posted:

Makes me wonder if we are on step 3 of our march to, "Ow, My Balls!"

son, we've been in Idiocracy territory for a few years now

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Cthulu Carl posted:

Maybe. I remember watching a bunch of Bible shows on A&E before we got the internet because they had paintings with naked chicks and if my parents walked in, they'd be all "awww, our son is such a good Christian" while I quickly acted like I wasn't cranking it under the blanket.

the history channel actually had good documentaries about biblical archeology back in the day. like there was one about sodom and gemmorah where they went into the desert and talked about likely candidates such as Bab eh-drah and Numera; they showed evidence of fires and destruction and even showed a bunch of skeletons of people who died in the conflagration. they even had some voiceover lady in a formal voice reading relevant bible passages and saying poo poo like "so he was put to the sword" or "they fell to the ban" and it was totally fukken wicked :megadeath:

and this is coming from an atheist

they were straight-up documentaries with no gimmicks

that is what I will miss with H2 passing

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Dave_Indeed posted:

Does this new channel have "Ow My Balls"?

It has "Balls Deep" apparently; that's close enough to satisfy the prophecy of Mike Judge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Manifest posted:

History is in the process of reformatting itself towards historical dramas. Might be for the better.

when did they say that?

• Locked thread