Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

"Look, Ashen One. The poop has string in it. You can throw it backwards, Ashen One!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Glad to see this back!

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG

sad! for him, anyway.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Dazzling Addar posted:

a few days later i got demolished by this guy over and over on a different character so
beginner's luck

He demolished me over and over right from the get-go. Guy's a dick.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I'm a sucker for areas/bosses with fire/ice themes, so this is a sweet boss.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
It's funny first time I fought him it was super hard, then next time I understood my magic options better and demolished him.

Also Gnaw requires a Dark-based chime and even then it mostly relies on Bleed to do damage.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 12, 2016

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

i will be eating these greatarrows again and again, forever

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Ah, yes. That place again. I think revisiting it was one of the cooler things DS3 has done.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

did you know this game has npc questlines? me neither

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

So the trick with damaging those giants is that while they're inactive they take 1/10 damage and their heads take like triple normal damage (and you can lock onto the head separately). I actually find with magic it's best to engage the first giant from the balcony because you can consistently target his head and use the door back to the shortcut to retreat from his blows in between baiting him into attacking so you can Fire Orb or Great Soul Arrow his noggin. You aren't so fortunate on the second one of course.

Oh and the immolation hollows definitely friendly fire on their explosion attack, and since hollows are hella weak to fire they generally do a lot more damage to friends than they would to you.

Those slimes and the leech monsters are why I'd kinda suggest taking the Fire Gem at the start, just make a Fire Longsword and keep it around because it lets you deal with that bullshit with no FP spent.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 14, 2016

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I've been waiting for the return of the Actually Well-Informed Pyromancer Run. The blind one is fun too just for the reactions (which I'm sharing, I'm bad at Souls games so I haven't played this), but I like your properly informative videos the most.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
The chains and sad resting posture make the giants look like they're miserable captives to me. They attack you because they're trapped and afraid, not because they're baddies. Poor giants.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

The link to Blind episode 35 in the main list is missing the end [/url]

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

JT Jag posted:

I've been waiting for the return of the Actually Well-Informed Pyromancer Run. The blind one is fun too just for the reactions (which I'm sharing, I'm bad at Souls games so I haven't played this), but I like your properly informative videos the most.

The blind one did show me that I was underestimating Carthus Flame Arc, that adds MUCH more fire damage to a weapon than I was expecting and could totally justify a spell slot once you've got enough to play around with.

e: I forgot the blind run did at least open up that one place, so there is reason to go back and explore.

One thing I really do appreciate about 3 is that it supports you being an actual caster really well if you want to do that. It's possible to go really heavy into magical damage and magical endurance (both in the form of FP and bringing more Ashen Estus) as long as you're willing to accept that you're going to be more fragile than normal to do so.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 15, 2016

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Feinne posted:

The blind one did show me that I was underestimating Carthus Flame Arc, that adds MUCH more fire damage to a weapon than I was expecting and could totally justify a spell slot once you've got enough to play around with.

e: I forgot the blind run did at least open up that one place, so there is reason to go back and explore.

One thing I really do appreciate about 3 is that it supports you being an actual caster really well if you want to do that. It's possible to go really heavy into magical damage and magical endurance (both in the form of FP and bringing more Ashen Estus) as long as you're willing to accept that you're going to be more fragile than normal to do so.

I'd argue that it punishes being a pure caster with arbitrarily higher soft caps and scaling tuned to those higher soft caps, as well as a reliance on both attunement and stamina, whereas non-casters don't really need to invest anything into attunement. Throw in the fact that getting good damage requires the sacrifice of two ring slots (potentially 3, but I'm not fond of the clutch rings) and wearing one the the stupidest looking pieces of headgear in the game in my opinion (if you're a sorcerer). Sure, you have a renewable source of restoration for your casting resource, but I think it's a wash when you consider all your spells draw on it, rather than being able to ration out when you used various spells with the individual cast amounts of previous games.

Really, what bothers me most is the dunce cap. God I hate the dusk crown. That and the cripplingly high stat investments kneecapping my weapon variety to play around with.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Obligatum VII posted:

I'd argue that it punishes being a pure caster with arbitrarily higher soft caps and scaling tuned to those higher soft caps, as well as a reliance on both attunement and stamina, whereas non-casters don't really need to invest anything into attunement. Throw in the fact that getting good damage requires the sacrifice of two ring slots (potentially 3, but I'm not fond of the clutch rings) and wearing one the the stupidest looking pieces of headgear in the game in my opinion (if you're a sorcerer). Sure, you have a renewable source of restoration for your casting resource, but I think it's a wash when you consider all your spells draw on it, rather than being able to ration out when you used various spells with the individual cast amounts of previous games.

Really, what bothers me most is the dunce cap. God I hate the dusk crown. That and the cripplingly high stat investments kneecapping my weapon variety to play around with.

I'm just saying it's viable to do it, I'm sure there are melee options even grosser with less investment than pure casting but who cares if it's not the absolute best possible build, hopefully that means From won't decide they have to give all the DLC bosses absurd resistance to magic of all types like they did in DS2.

Umister
Dec 24, 2007

Hey Daz! I just wanted to thank you for doing this LP; I've really been enjoying your videos.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

carry on my wayward sam

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
That's one heck of a title ya got there, Aldritch.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Well, considering you interrupt him in the middle of his meal of Dark Sun Gwyndolin, he has every right to attack you. After all, it's rude to barge into somebody's dining room and try to stab them.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Aldrich is definitely a boss where having solid offensive magic makes things much easier, he's really annoying up close but pretty open even from medium range. As you'd expect he's also extremely vulnerable to fire.

The arrows are also super rude because they can kill you even while he's dying, something he shares with his fat sluggy bloodborne comrade Rom.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The arrows are probably the worst part about the entire fight. They're not bad during phase one... then you get to phase two, where they track you around the room for a good 10 seconds and will utterly gently caress up your day if you can't stay ahead of them.

Aldrich killed me a good few times, but I think I died more trying to open the cathedral doors between the Deacons, the Silver Knights, and Aldrich's pet over by the lever. I got really fuckin' good at killing those two Silver Knights out by the bonfire, though...

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Is that moonlight butterfly's music?

Also, Aldrich is the name of a middle school where I grew up where a kid stabbed a teacher in the neck with a pencil, so that seems about right.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Is that moonlight butterfly's music?

Also, Aldrich is the name of a middle school where I grew up where a kid stabbed a teacher in the neck with a pencil, so that seems about right.

Sort of. It's deliberately similar to Gwyndolin's theme, which is also used for Moonlight Butterfly.

The arrows are actually pretty easy to run away from, but that chews up stamina and of course Aldrich doesn't actually stop attacking while they're chasing you.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

berenzen posted:

Well, considering you interrupt him in the middle of his meal of Dark Sun Gwyndolin, he has every right to attack you. After all, it's rude to barge into somebody's dining room and try to stab them.

Huh, I did not pick up on that. I wonder why the knights seem to be defending him. Do they not know what he's doing?

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

paragon1 posted:

Huh, I did not pick up on that. I wonder why the knights seem to be defending him. Do they not know what he's doing?
I think they're just defending the place, not the people in it.

Silver Knight must be a lovely job.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Panderfringe posted:

I think they're just defending the place, not the people in it.

Silver Knight must be a lovely job.

yeah, I'm pretty sure that after how many thousands of years they've basically just defaulted to their basic programming of if (invader = true) {kill}, Now that the person that they're supposed to protect (Gwynevere) is gone.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
Can we talk for a second about how loving terrifying that Aldrich is, as a concept?
He slithered his way back to Anor Londo and they tossed Gwyndolin into a locked room with him and now he's eaten his insides and uses him as some kind of weird puppet mast head?
Also, he has the skeletons and bones and stuff of Nito, as well as the gravelord scythe ability, and he is called devourer of the "GODS".
Dude ate Death. :staredog:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Dooky Dingo posted:

Can we talk for a second about how loving terrifying that Aldrich is, as a concept?
He slithered his way back to Anor Londo and they tossed Gwyndolin into a locked room with him and now he's eaten his insides and uses him as some kind of weird puppet mast head?
Also, he has the skeletons and bones and stuff of Nito, as well as the gravelord scythe ability, and he is called devourer of the "GODS".

So he's a hungrier form of Caim from Drakengard 2? :v:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Dooky Dingo posted:

If you read the description of the various items connected with Aldrich and the Deep it has troubling implications as well.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Feinne posted:

If you read the description of the various items connected with Aldrich and the Deep it has troubling implications as well.

Dazz, will you be going into that stuff in your informative run? Otherwise, I'd be interested to hear more (in spoiler tags) about this topic. I won't be getting this game anytime soon so I must live vicariously through all y'all.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Dazz, will you be going into that stuff in your informative run? Otherwise, I'd be interested to hear more (in spoiler tags) about this topic. I won't be getting this game anytime soon so I must live vicariously through all y'all.

I will eventually, yes, but since we have technically, like, seen this content now in the thread, feel free to discuss it if you'd like. Best judgment and all that.

For my part, this entire area of the game actually kind of hosed me up a little the first time through. I was legitimately kind of sad about the giant blacksmith and legitimately kind of horrified by what the Saint of the Deep chooses to do with his free time.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Oh also I remembered to actually post a link in the thread the night I uploaded something. A rarity in these trying times, I know.

treasure: it really IS sorely tempting

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I will in fact use spoiler tags just so people can put things together on their own, and also keep in mind this is as speculation as any other meta-story stuff in these games:

So the various items of the Deep, especially Aldrich's soul itself, suggest that he was driven by visions of the world that waited after the Age of Fire, an Age of Deep Seas. This suggests something if you have completed Bloodborne's DLC, needless to say. There's also a rather interesting thing of note in Bloodborne, the only two really 'fire' themed bosses are the Keeper and Watchdog of the "Old Lords" down in the ruins of a dead civilization.

Also I legit winced in the video because a path to progress opened up directly behind you at one point thanks to the ballista.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 21, 2016

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Feinne posted:

I will in fact use spoiler tags just so people can put things together on their own, and also keep in mind this is as speculation as any other meta-story stuff in these games:

So the various items of the Deep, especially Aldrich's soul itself, suggest that he was driven by visions of the world that waited after the Age of Fire, an Age of Deep Seas. This suggests something if you have completed Bloodborne's DLC, needless to say. There's also a rather interesting thing of note in Bloodborne, the only two really 'fire' themed bosses are the Keeper and Watchdog of the "Old Lords" down in the ruins of a dead civilization.

Also I legit winced in the video because a path to progress opened up directly behind you at one point thanks to the ballista.

just because of the sea where you find orphan of kos? i guess it's an interesting thematic link but it seems like a stretch to think it indicates anything more than that. especially since all the chalice dungeons' architecture isn't much like anything you see inn any of the three dark souls.

Blacksuit
Oct 9, 2012
Hey, Dazz. Since your stats are evenly distributed between strength and dex in your blind run, have you considered going for a Quality build?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

just because of the sea where you find orphan of kos? i guess it's an interesting thematic link but it seems like a stretch to think it indicates anything more than that. especially since all the chalice dungeons' architecture isn't much like anything you see inn any of the three dark souls.

Given like 90% of the lore in these games comes from obscure connections and hints in item descriptions I don't think it can be entirely discounted.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Feinne posted:

I thought Deep things were references to the Abyss, it's certainly an inexorable tide, and the Deep Gem adds Dark to a weapon, right?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Bellmaker posted:

I thought Deep things were references to the Abyss, it's certainly an inexorable tide, and the Deep Gem adds Dark to a weapon, right?

Well it's definitely connected as Aldrich is indeed flagged as such an enemy for the purposes of things that do extra damage to such.

They're not necessarily mutually exclusive is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Aldritch is the player that maxes out the wraith and PVP covenants and kills all the NPCs.

• Locked thread